PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson

Broncos4SB2013
09-02-2013, 12:48 PM
What do you guys think of Adrian Peterson? Do you think he will be able to break the single season rushing record and/or the all time rushing record?

I think if he can stay healthy and strong through his aging that he has a better shot at it then anybody else.

baphamet
09-02-2013, 03:14 PM
my answer is no to both questions. IMO i think AP will have a good season but it wont be anywhere near as good as last year and last year will be his best season after his career is all said and done.

due to his running style and history with injuries, i don't see him finishing with much more than 12,0000 yards and 120 TD's at best.

i honestly don't think smith's record will be broken by anyone any time soon if at all unless they change to an 18 game schedule.

AP at age 27 only has 8849 career yards. smith's record is 18,355. AP has virtually no chance to break that, no current RB does.

AP is one of the few feature backs left in the league, it will take a feature back that is very very special to break smith's career rushing record.

a feature back that can stay healthy and consistently productive over a 15 year or so span like smith did. its just not going to happen IMO.

as far as single season, last year was his chance and he unfortunately fell short. i don't think he will get another legit chance like that ever again but i do think that record has a much better chance to be broken than the career rushing record.

InsaneBlaze23
09-02-2013, 03:45 PM
We've already had this conversation, so I'll say now what I said then. AP will be a first ballot hall of famer, but he will never be considered greats of all time at that position. The rules nowadays make it easier for offenses compared to a decade+ ago. He plays on a team with no air attack so they are just running him over and over. And then there is supplements that help him that aren't illegal that wasn't around when the greatest played the game.

As for how he'll do this season. I don't think he'll have as good a season as he did last, but he'll still be the leading rusher(baring injury).

bronx_2003
09-02-2013, 04:13 PM
We've already had this conversation, so I'll say now what I said then. AP will be a first ballot hall of famer, but he will never be considered greats of all time at that position. The rules nowadays make it easier for offenses compared to a decade+ ago. He plays on a team with no air attack so they are just running him over and over. And then there is supplements that help him that aren't illegal that wasn't around when the greatest played the game.

As for how he'll do this season. I don't think he'll have as good a season as he did last, but he'll still be the leading rusher(baring injury).

I disagree with that. I think he is already a top 5 all time back, there is an argument for top 3.

He could easily be the best when he retires.

All credit to Emmit's longevity, but he is not a top 5 back.

baphamet
09-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I disagree with that. I think he is already a top 5 all time back, there is an argument for top 3.

He could easily be the best when he retires.

All credit to Emmit's longevity, but he is not a top 5 back.

completely disagree, he is not a top 5 all time back, nowhere near it. he doesn't even have 10,000 yards and 100 TD's in his career yet, how is he a top 5 all time back?

are you basing that off of one season? if so then you wouldn't have a problem with me labeling tomlinson the best of all time, right? since he arguably had the best single season a RB has ever had.

when judging all time greats you have to judge them by their entire careers and right now AP's doesn't stack up. yes longevity is a big part of it, even though its not everything.

if AP retired today he WOULD NOT be a first ballet HOF'er, that is just the reality of the situation. but maybe if he adds some more productive years he may end up being a top 10 or so all time great and a first ballet HOF'er, we will see though.

bronx_2003
09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
completely disagree, he is not a top 5 all time back, nowhere near it. he doesn't even have 10,000 yards and 100 TD's in his career yet, how is he a top 5 all time back?

are you basing that off of one season? if so then you wouldn't have a problem with me labeling tomlinson the best of all time, right? since he arguably had the best single season a RB has ever had.

when judging all time greats you have to judge them by their entire careers and right now AP's doesn't stack up. yes longevity is a big part of it, even though its not everything.

if AP retired today he WOULD NOT be a first ballet HOF'er, that is just the reality of the situation. but maybe if he adds some more productive years he may end up being a top 10 or so all time great and a first ballet HOF'er, we will see though.

I think retired players get romanticized. Don't get me wrong, there were many great players but some people just think they are untouchable and modern players can't compare. Its a little like how a player on the bench is suddenly rated higher by the fans.

AP - 8,849 yards at 5.0 a carry and 76 TD's. 1526 yards receiving with 4 TD's.

Barry Sanders - 15,269 yards at 5.0 a carry and 99 TD's. 2921 yards receiving with 10 TD's.

LT - 13,684 yards at 4.3 a carry and 145 TD's. 4772 yards receiving with 17 TD's.

Gale Sayers - 4956 yards at 5.0 a carry and 39 TD's. 1307 yards receiving with 9 TD's.

Ed Dickerson - 13,259 yards at 4.4 a carry and 90 TD's. 2137 yards receiving with 6 TD's.

Jim Brown - 12,312 yards at 5.2 a carry and 106 TD's. 2499 yards receiving with 20 TD's.

Walter Payton - 16,726 yards at 4.4 a carry and 110 TD's. 4538 yards receiving with 15 TD's.

I think if you were taking one player from the peak of their career to play for you for one season then AP would be in most people's top 3.

If you look at career stats AP is only 28. Even if you play it safe and give him just 5 more years at just 1000 yards a year he would still be ahead of everyone but Sanders and Walter Payton and would of smashed both their TD records.

and thats just playing it safe.

Last year he carried his team to the playoffs and got the 2nd highest rushing season ever, just 9 yards from the record.

I would also add that defenders are much bigger and faster in the modern game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Having the longevity to do what Emmitt Smith did is almost impossible. Playing for that long doesn't mean you're the greatest running back of all time. Emmitt Smith was good, but I don't think I would have him in my top 5 all time.

I just don't see how All Day can play that long.

BroncoFanNC
09-04-2013, 12:15 PM
I think TD said earlier on one of the network shows that every 2000 yard back in the NFL had a drastic drop in yards the following season, himself included.

I think he predicted 1400 yards for AP this year.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I think TD said earlier on one of the network shows that every 2000 yard back in the NFL had a drastic drop in yards the following season, himself included.

I think he predicted 1400 yards for AP this year.

of course they do, its nearly impossible not too, 1600 was 2nd best last year, vs 2100 .... thats 500 yards difference even if he has another great season hes likely looking at 1600-1800 yards rushing which is a drastic difference yet still incredible.

Cajun
09-04-2013, 03:15 PM
if you would have asked me about AP last year, I would have :laugh: at you, I would have :rolleyes: and belittled you for even suggesting any idea about him. Instead, by the end of the year I was :jawdrop:

I take pride learning from my mistakes and what Ive learned is I wont doubt the young mans ability to accomplish his goals again.

this year I will be more conservative. I will admit its highly unlikely but it wont surprise me if he does. Or in other words its DARNED hard to argue against success so I will stay on the fence this time!

good luck AP! :beer:

theMileHighGuy
09-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Last time I said AP couldn't do something, he almost broke a nearly 30 year old record. It's a hell of a hill to climb, but I'm not gonna be the guy to say he can't do it again. :salute: to him, I certainly hope he gives it his best shot.

fallforward3y+
09-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I think retired players get romanticized. Don't get me wrong, there were many great players but some people just think they are untouchable and modern players can't compare. Its a little like how a player on the bench is suddenly rated higher by the fans.

Barry Sanders - 15,269 yards at 5.0 a carry and 99 TD's. 2921 yards receiving with 10 TD's.

LT - 13,684 yards at 4.3 a carry and 145 TD's. 4772 yards receiving with 17 TD's.

Gale Sayers - 4956 yards at 5.0 a carry and 39 TD's. 1307 yards receiving with 9 TD's.

Ed Dickerson - 13,259 yards at 4.4 a carry and 90 TD's. 2137 yards receiving with 6 TD's.

Jim Brown - 12,312 yards at 5.2 a carry and 106 TD's. 2499 yards receiving with 20 TD's.

Walter Payton - 16,726 yards at 4.4 a carry and 110 TD's. 4538 yards receiving with 15 TD's.

I think if you were taking one player from the peak of their career to play for you for one season then AP would be in most people's top 3.

If you look at career stats AP is only 28. Even if you play it safe and give him just 5 more years at just 1000 yards a year he would still be ahead of everyone but Sanders and Walter Payton and would of smashed both their TD records.

Last year he carried his team to the playoffs and got the 2nd highest rushing season ever, just 9 yards from the record.

I agree about retired players, but in this case id agree hes not top 5 in terms of all time career, definitely not easily. Id have to wait a bit longer to say that. Stats don't tell the whole story, too many inflation and outside factors aside from the RB to pay them much mind.

The defenses argument doesn't favor AP, AT ALL, they are far worse today. Tackling is far worse, and offenses are far better designed. Bigger maybe, but not better.

baphamet
09-05-2013, 08:11 AM

the issue here is what criteria you use in judging an all time great. you are clearly basing it off of last year or a couple "prime" years. this isn't meant as smack but i see a lot of broncos fans doing that with Terrell Davis as he was a very good back for a short period due to injury.

if you want to talk about the best backs in a single season or "in their prime", IMO that is a different discussion. you simply cannot label a player of any position an all time great based on what they did in one season or a couple seasons.

how many backs have dominated like that before? i can name quite a few. chris Johnson, priest holmes, and larry johnson quickly come to mind (Terrell Davis too).

sure, i could get on board if AP did somehow have another 2k season like last year as no other back has ever done that or if he did stay healthy and dominate for another 4-5 seasons at least.

but i don't think its gonna happen, i don't think he will have another season close to that again and i think its gonna be all downhill from here, even if he does still have a few really productive years left in him. reason being is whenever a back has ever had a season like that the next season is never anywhere near as good and they usually see their production drop off considerably even a couple years after that.

plus i take into consideration his track record with injuries and his running style. i am not saying it cant be done, i am just saying i seriously doubt it.

but honestly, in my mind at least, he is a borderline HOF player right now definitely not first ballet but that can change before now and the time he retires.

and again, just to reiterate, he will not break smith's record lol

i don't think anybody ever will unless they change to an 18 game schedule.

baphamet
09-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Having the longevity to do what Emmitt Smith did is almost impossible. Playing for that long doesn't mean you're the greatest running back of all time. Emmitt Smith was good, but I don't think I would have him in my top 5 all time.

I just don't see how All Day can play that long.

to put this in perspective for people.....

Adrian Peterson has 8,849 career rushing yards at age 28

we all know that age 30 is the golden mark for backs when they usually drop off the face of the earth. but for the sake of argument lets say he stays healthy and productive until he is 33

emmitt smith's career rushing yards record is 18,355

which means AP needs another 9,507 yards to break the record. so in other words, he would need to average over 1900 yards a season over the next 5 years to break the record.

yeah, not going to happen folks lol

anyway, he doesn't need to break smith's record to be considered one of the best backs of all time, especially if he did have another 2k season.

i just think people are still in awe of what he did last year, we will see what happens this year. like i said, i have my doubts.

bronx_2003
09-05-2013, 03:41 PM
the issue here is what criteria you use in judging an all time great. you are clearly basing it off of last year or a couple "prime" years. this isn't meant as smack but i see a lot of broncos fans doing that with Terrell Davis as he was a very good back for a short period due to injury.

if you want to talk about the best backs in a single season or "in their prime", IMO that is a different discussion. you simply cannot label a player of any position an all time great based on what they did in one season or a couple seasons.

how many backs have dominated like that before? i can name quite a few. chris Johnson, priest holmes, and larry johnson quickly come to mind (Terrell Davis too).

sure, i could get on board if AP did somehow have another 2k season like last year as no other back has ever done that or if he did stay healthy and dominate for another 4-5 seasons at least.

but i don't think its gonna happen, i don't think he will have another season close to that again and i think its gonna be all downhill from here, even if he does still have a few really productive years left in him. reason being is whenever a back has ever had a season like that the next season is never anywhere near as good and they usually see their production drop off considerably even a couple years after that.

plus i take into consideration his track record with injuries and his running style. i am not saying it cant be done, i am just saying i seriously doubt it.

but honestly, in my mind at least, he is a borderline HOF player right now definitely not first ballet but that can change before now and the time he retires.

and again, just to reiterate, he will not break smith's record lol

i don't think anybody ever will unless they change to an 18 game schedule.

Bolded points -

1 - I'm basing on it his whole career. He has gone over 1200 in 5 seasons, so he's not a 1/2 season wonder..... and he's only 28. RB's can hit a wall at 30, and others are productive at 32/33. I think a player of his standard can be productive for 5/6 more years.

2 - Downhill from here ? Thats your opinion but I don't see any reason his career will suddenly nosedive. Especially as they passing attack seems improved and should take some pressure off him and keep the D's more honest.

3 - He has a fantastic track record injury wise. He has missed just SEVEN games in 6 seasons, playing 89... and thats not including his post-season games.

4 - I don't think anyone will anytime soon either, but I don't think Smith was a top 5 back of all-time. Borderline top 10 maybe. I respect the longevity though.

baphamet
09-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Bolded points -

1 - I'm basing on it his whole career. He has gone over 1200 in 5 seasons, so he's not a 1/2 season wonder..... and he's only 28. RB's can hit a wall at 30, and others are productive at 32/33. I think a player of his standard can be productive for 5/6 more years.

he has had a good career so far don't get me wrong, i do think he has a borderline HOF resume right now but not a first ballet and not even top 10 all time.

2 - Downhill from here ? Thats your opinion but I don't see any reason his career will suddenly nosedive. Especially as they passing attack seems improved and should take some pressure off him and keep the D's more honest.

IMO he isn't getting another 2k yard season and he is 28, yes i do think its all downhill from here. that's not to say his production will drop off over night but its going to drop, especially once he hits 30 or so.

3 - He has a fantastic track record injury wise. He has missed just SEVEN games in 6 seasons, playing 89... and thats not including his post-season games.

no he doesn't, he had reconstructive knee surgery that was more of good timing than anything. had he got injured like that in the pre-season he would have missed the entire season.

he also broke his collar bone in college due to his reckless abandon running style as well by leaping into the endzone IIRC

he runs straight up and doesn't really avoid contact, it isn't a recipe for longevity for a RB by any means.

4 - I don't think anyone will anytime soon either, but I don't think Smith was a top 5 back of all-time. Borderline top 10 maybe. I respect the longevity though.

agreed, i was just saying.....

BroncoFanNC
09-08-2013, 01:11 PM
AP - 16 Carries, 88 yards, 1 of those was 78 yards.

Which means he had 15 carries for 10 yards :eek:

Bootleg
09-08-2013, 01:15 PM

yeah, his first carry of the game was the 78 yarder, appears to have been neutralised since.

fallforward3y+
09-10-2013, 05:30 PM

That game showed part of how stats are misleading. Stats like that look good on paper but an inconsistent running game isn't good for helping an offense throughout the game. That's why the 'give it to him until he pops a big run' is a failing philosophy, if your run game isn't consistent.

bears6385
09-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Today AP had 100 yds against the Bears and except for one 20+ yarder had to earn every yard.

fallforward3y+
09-16-2013, 02:11 AM
Today AP had 100 yds against the Bears and except for one 20+ yarder had to earn every yard.

Didn't see the game, just the stats. Did he do a good job getting yards versus contact? According to the stats, it looked better than last week but not a consistently productive run game. Take away the 36 yarder its 25 for 64 yards.

baphamet
09-16-2013, 03:33 PM
i didn't see the game either but looking at the stats, he had a decent game but not what he was saying he was going to do this season so far.

he averaged less than 4 yards a carry even considering he had a 36 yard long. a 100 yard game is a 100 yard game but i don't think he is gonna get 2500 yards this year like he was claiming lol

he needs to average about 165 yards a game to reach that point now haha

good luck AP!

fallforward3y+
09-16-2013, 05:34 PM
I'd be stunned if he got 2500 at this pace, it's just too hard to do. A 100 yard game is a 100 yard game, but if it's not consistent it's still cause for concern. It's part of why rushing stats are unreliable, if you are consistent, even just a 3.6 average is very good because your consistently getting enough to move the chains(3.34 ypc=1/3 of first down yardage). However, if it's mostly on one carry, then on most you aren't getting enough, and the run game won't be effective even if the stats make the fantasy owners happy. Even if you end up with a 5 ypc average, if it's just due to inflation it's not very effective.

Peerless
09-16-2013, 08:55 PM
No way AP will hit 2500 yards. He won't even hit 2000 again...

Yakka27
09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
It definitely does hurt not having Jerome Felton in there.

bears6385
09-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Didn't see the game, just the stats. Did he do a good job getting yards versus contact? According to the stats, it looked better than last week but not a consistently productive run game. Take away the 36 yarder its 25 for 64 yards.No 3.8 ypc. 8 sometimes 9 in the box, no cutback lanes. Until Ponder can take advantage of that against good defenses AP won't come close to 2000 this year.

JohnShaft
09-17-2013, 08:19 PM
I thought Ponder did a good, if not really good, job of that in the second half Sunday. He outplayed Cutler in the 2nd half (until our last drive). However he needs to keep doing it, and I don't know he's capable of that.

These "are they really good enough?" QB's never turn out to be when enough years have passed. Sanchez being the latest example. Tebow before him. Ponder will be the next in line, I'd put money on it.

fallforward3y+
09-17-2013, 09:37 PM
No 3.8 ypc. 8 sometimes 9 in the box, no cutback lanes. Until Ponder can take advantage of that against good defenses AP won't come close to 2000 this year.

So basically, he didn't do much most of the day, but it wasn't his fault because he was getting hit by multiple defenders in the box. That's the other flaw in stats to measure backs, it's largely about the O-Line. 3.8 could work very well if it was consistent for most of the game, but not if it's inflated.

It is already known, but Ponder really needs to get better. He's had the benefit of 8-9 in the box, and while he hasn't had a receiving core like the Packers, he's had some good weapons in Rudolph, Harvin and Jennings at different points. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to lead a decent passing game with that.

It may not be holding AP back as much as many think though, since he had arguably his worst statistical year in 2009, the one year where Minnesota had a great pass attack.

fallforward3y+
09-17-2013, 09:47 PM
I thought Ponder did a good, if not really good, job of that in the second half Sunday. He outplayed Cutler in the 2nd half (until our last drive). However he needs to keep doing it, and I don't know he's capable of that.

These "are they really good enough?" QB's never turn out to be when enough years have passed. Sanchez being the latest example. Tebow before him. Ponder will be the next in line, I'd put money on it.

He's had a few good games, he played well in the Packers-Vikings game in week 17 last year. Every QB has had at least a couple good ones though, like you said he's got to be consistent.

QBs who's teams win despite them often end up getting exposed eventually, unless they improve their play. Flacco and Sanchez were similar, QBs who rode good defenses and running games to win playoff games their first 2 years, the difference is Flacco got better and Sanchez actually got worse.

In Ponder's case, he's never been regarded as good. If he doesn't get better within a couple of seasons he's probably done in the league. When teams win consistently, they tend to keep their QB even if he's mediocre, but once they start missing the POs he's gone. I doubt Minny starts winning consistently.

baphamet
09-18-2013, 02:57 PM
No 3.8 ypc. 8 sometimes 9 in the box, no cutback lanes. Until Ponder can take advantage of that against good defenses AP won't come close to 2000 this year.

great backs can run for huge yards even when the opposing defenses know you are gonna run it down their throats.

AP already had his big 2k season, he very likely wont have another one.

fallforward3y+
09-19-2013, 01:56 AM
great backs can run for huge yards even when the opposing defenses know you are gonna run it down their throats.

AP already had his big 2k season, he very likely wont have another one.

That really depends on how well the line can block. If your getting hit by multiple defenders at the LOS nobody does all that well, and that will happen a lot with 8-9 in the box.

At times, you'll see a back bounce it outside and take advantage of the over pursuit but it only happens once or twice a game, and if that's all you get your run game isn't consistently effective.

baphamet
09-19-2013, 10:27 AM
That really depends on how well the line can block. If your getting hit by multiple defenders at the LOS nobody does all that well, and that will happen a lot with 8-9 in the box.

At times, you'll see a back bounce it outside and take advantage of the over pursuit but it only happens once or twice a game, and if that's all you get your run game isn't consistently effective.

it also depends on your running style. i remember in 2003 LT had his second best year statistically running and catching the football.

everyone knew he was getting hr ball and they couldn't stop him, even with a terrible OL. but he was so explosive off the LOS, he could hit the smallest holes for a big gain. same thing with barry sanders, dude had a terrible OL a lot of his career but because if the shiftiness, he could make people miss.

everyone knew last year AP was getting the ball and they couldn't stop him, not sure why this year would be any different?

remember, no player has ever had two 2k seasons before, there is a reason for that. those kind of seasons take a lot out of a back, especially a back that's on the back end of his career like AP's

if he did have another 2k season, that would do a lot for the argument of him being top 5 all time back, i just don't see it happening.

not this year not ever again.

Broncos4SB2013
09-29-2013, 06:08 PM
140 yards and 2 touchdowns today, starting a little bit slow this year but still ahead of what he had last year. Maybe he will start to pick it up a little bit. Im pulling for him:thumb:

baphamet
09-29-2013, 06:22 PM
he had a good game for sure, lets see if he can keep it up.

fallforward3y+
09-30-2013, 12:28 AM
he had a good game for sure, lets see if he can keep it up.

I was also unable to see him today. Was anyone here able to watch how he did?

According to the stats, he ran consistently well for the first time all year. In past games he's just had his stats inflated by a big run, but I believe it was 22 for 80 when you take away his weekly 1 big run. That's 3.6666 yards per carry, which is enough to sustain a consistent running game and move for first downs.

Just looking at the stats makes it hard to tell if he actually ran the ball well versus tacklers, or if he just ran through wide holes and didn't do much when he faced them.

fallforward3y+
09-30-2013, 12:41 AM
it also depends on your running style. i remember in 2003 LT had his second best year statistically running and catching the football.

everyone knew he was getting hr ball and they couldn't stop him, even with a terrible OL. but he was so explosive off the LOS, he could hit the smallest holes for a big gain. same thing with barry sanders, dude had a terrible OL a lot of his career but because if the shiftiness, he could make people miss.

everyone knew last year AP was getting the ball and they couldn't stop him, not sure why this year would be any different?

remember, no player has ever had two 2k seasons before, there is a reason for that. those kind of seasons take a lot out of a back, especially a back that's on the back end of his career like AP's

if he did have another 2k season, that would do a lot for the argument of him being top 5 all time back, i just don't see it happening.

not this year not ever again.

In some instances, it's just because the line and/or blocking scheme is good enough to pick apart even 8 or 9 man fronts. Ultimately, you only need one hole to run through.

In the case of running styles, backs with the ability to bounce it outside to find open grass can make big runs against stacked fronts, because when they find the open grass there's only a safety to beat, and they have a lot of space to get around them.

Like I said before though, if they are not getting effective gains consistently, the run game does not efficiently help the offense, even if the stats do look good because of inflation from a big run or 2.

LT was a shifty back, and had a lot of big runs, which certainly helped his stats a lot.