PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow reportedly turns down NFL teamís inquiry at position other than quarterback

mojo0730
09-06-2013, 10:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/tim-tebow-reportedly-turns-down-nfl-team-inquiry-144109622--nfl.html

Tim Tebow is an NFL free agent quarterback. Emphasis on the last word.
According to TheMMQB's Peter King, speaking Thursday night on the NBC broadcast, Tebow received an "inquiry" about joining an NFL team at a position other than quarterback. King reports that Tebow declined the request. He also has said no to Canadian football and US Rugby.

Tebow wants to play quarterback. In the NFL. That's it, apparently. He pretty much spelled it out in a tweet last week, which said in part:

"I will remain in relentless pursuit of continuing my lifelong dream of being an NFL quarterback."
When Tebow signed this offseason with the Patriots, there was immediate chatter about him switching to tight end to compensate for them losing Rob Gronkowski to injury and Aaron Hernandez to murder charges. The move never happened. Tebow received some training-camp snaps as a personal protector on the punt team, but his uniform number ó 5 óindicated he was primarily viewed in New England as a quarterback. And apparently, not a good enough one, as he was cut.

After being released by the Broncos, Jets and Patriots ó teams with varying degrees of quarterback proficiency, ahem ó Tebow might need to look in the mirror. We can't blame a young man for chasing his dreams, and we commend his drive, but playing quarterback in the NFL again might be pretty tough to achieve at this point.

Charlie Brown
09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Unwillingness to try new things. He's turned down changing positions and even turned down USA Rugby's attempt to reach out to him.

The door to the NFL is shutting and shutting fast and needs to stay shut.

Bronco51
09-06-2013, 11:30 AM
If he feels like he has better options outside of football, more power to him. Must be nice to be able to turn down a possible NFL job. But, it sure makes the whole "I will do whatever for the team" rhetoric seem ridiculous.

InsaneBlaze23
09-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Unwillingness to try new things. He's turned down changing positions and even turned down USA Rugby's attempt to reach out to him.

Don't forget he also turned down playing in the CFL.

BroncoFan46
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Tim: "I will do whatever coaches ask of me to do. Whatever helps the team win."
Coaches: "Hey, Tim. Will you play at another position? We feel if you did that it could help this team win."
Tim: "Except that, I'll do everything except be useful."

Hate his hypocrisy. I feel bad for those who fall for his fake image. The man is full of himself, his family has blown him up.

BroncoFanBoy
09-06-2013, 12:30 PM
He's gonna turn down millions of dollars just because he wants to play QB. Idiot. If I was called by an NFL team and they offered to pay me millions to play TE (for example), I'd take it in a heartbeat.

CoryWinget81
09-06-2013, 12:48 PM
What a great team player.

:rolleyes:

captainbronco
09-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Coaches: "Hey, Tim. Will you play at another position? We feel if you did that it could help this team win."

Hate his hypocrisy. I feel bad for those who fall for his fake image. The man is full of himself, his family has blown him up.

so damn true

MegaOrange
09-06-2013, 12:58 PM
More likely - Tebow playing QB or showing up on some reality TV show like Dancing with the Stars?

Charlie Brown
09-06-2013, 01:50 PM
More likely - Tebow playing QB or showing up on some reality TV show like Dancing with the Stars?

That's kind of tough. There are teams out there with really bad quarterbacks that could play horribly and force a team to try Tebow. Teams like the Raiders or even the Jaguars.

But, then again. Dancing with the Stars seems right up his alley.

flosstein
09-06-2013, 02:53 PM

I get what u r saying, but how is it hypocrisy? He's not on a team to be a "team player". And as of right now it's a rumor. But even if its really true, how do u know he wasn't willing to do it for a bum team with no shot of winning to even make the switch worthwhile? I'm pretty sure if Bellicheat was the team in question, he would do it. But I can't see him agreeing to be a TE, or whatever, for a team like Oak or Jax, when both have starting and 2nd string QB's worse than he. The beauty of being a FA is u can pick and choose where u play, based upon the suitors interested in your services.

And is he concerned with his "Brand"? Yes, as any entertainer is with their "brand". How does that make him fake? Because when he is a member of a team, all I've seen was him do everything he can to win and every teammate of his, including the greats Tom Brady and Champ Bailey, completely disagree with your perception of him.

JJBroncoFan
09-06-2013, 03:18 PM
I get what u r saying, but how is it hypocrisy? He's not on a team to be a "team player". And as of right now it's a rumor. But even if its really true, how do u know he wasn't willing to do it for a bum team with no shot of winning to even make the switch worthwhile? I'm pretty sure if Bellicheat was the team in question, he would do it. But I can't see him agreeing to be a TE, or whatever, for a team like Oak or Jax, when both have starting and 2nd string QB's worse than he. The beauty of being a FA is u can pick and choose where u play, based upon the suitors interested in your services.

And is he concerned with his "Brand"? Yes, as any entertainer is with their "brand". How does that make him fake? Because when he is a member of a team, all I've seen was him do everything he can to win and every teammate of his, including the greats Tom Brady and Champ Bailey, completely disagree with your perception of him.

Those obvious facts don't matter when talking about Tebow, its kind of love or hate with that guy. It maybe misguided for him to take such a stand against switching positions but its his choice. However, to say that makes him selfish or not a team player is ridiculous and, well dumb.

baphamet
09-06-2013, 05:21 PM
What a great team player.

:rolleyes:

yeah, he claims he will do whatever it takes to become an NFL QB yet he refuses to go to the CFL? he's full of it.

baphamet
09-06-2013, 05:27 PM
He's gonna turn down millions of dollars just because he wants to play QB. Idiot. If I was called by an NFL team and they offered to pay me millions to play TE (for example), I'd take it in a heartbeat.

sadly, i have seen this before from college QB's that cant make it as an NFL QB. eric crouch pulled the same crap when he got drafted as a WR and made the team, only to quit the NFL because he wanted to play QB.

that it one hell of an ego to piss away millions of dollars just because you want to play the position you love. but at least crouch tried to go to the CFL to prove he can play, tebow wont even do that.

i have no sympathy for him and don't believe him when he says he will do anything to become an NFL QB, no he wont, that is a lie.

BroncoFanBoy
09-06-2013, 06:05 PM
sadly, i have seen this before from college QB's that cant make it as an NFL QB. eric crouch pulled the same crap when he got drafted as a WR and made the team, only to quit the NFL because he wanted to play QB.

that it one hell of an ego to piss away millions of dollars just because you want to play the position you love. but at least crouch tried to go to the CFL to prove he can play, tebow wont even do that.

i have no sympathy for him and don't believe him when he says he will do anything to become an NFL QB, no he wont, that is a lie.

He's become a really cocky person. There's a reason he got traded once and cut twice. I bet he thinks he's really good since he made the playoffs and won a game.

samparnell
09-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Playing football does not seem to be his top priority. Like so many players before him, he could go to Canada and have the chance to prove something.

Peyton Manning tied an NFL record that hadn't been equaled since 1969. The last guy was Joe Kapp who played in Canada for eight years before joining the Vikings. Warren Moon played in Canada for six years before joining the Oilers. Frank Tripucka played in Canada before and after the Broncos. There are plenty of other examples.

The CFL is Tebow's best chance to be a pro QB. If he doesn't do it, he is done as a professional athlete. Even if he gets picked up by an NFL team this year due to injury, he won't stick because he needs to play. That place is Canada.

SoundsOfSuccess
09-07-2013, 08:39 AM
I don't see how it could hurt to go to the CFL and potentially kill it over there and get a shot in the NFL 2 or so years. As of right now, it looks like no team is going to sign him. He has zero other options.

Houshmazode
09-07-2013, 09:46 AM
So long Tebow, was nice knowing ya.

southern cross
09-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Playing football does not seem to be his top priority. Like so many players before him, he could go to Canada and have the chance to prove something.

Peyton Manning tied an NFL record that hadn't been equaled since 1969. The last guy was Joe Kapp who played in Canada for eight years before joining the Vikings. Warren Moon played in Canada for six years before joining the Oilers. Frank Tripucka played in Canada before and after the Broncos. There are plenty of other examples.

The CFL is Tebow's best chance to be a pro QB. If he doesn't do it, he is done as a professional athlete. Even if he gets picked up by an NFL team this year due to injury, he won't stick because he needs to play. That place is Canada.

I have thought that the CFL would be a good landing place for him, too. I can't understand why he wouldn't at least give it "the old college try", as my husband likes to say.

It's really sad for him, and I don't mean that in a feel sorry kind of way. Just that it's sad. There are so many other back-up guys in the NFL who aren't seeing their day, either. The thing is, they're not getting all of the attention that is lavished on Tebow.

A couple of years ago, when Peyton was out for the season (and I was a die-hard Colts fan), I was drawn into watching the Bronco's games. It was fascinating stuff, and I couldn't pull myself away. I watched all the way through the playoff game that year, and cheered like crazy when DT caught that TD pass. Too exciting!!

I never had any idea that Peyton would end up in Denver. It seemed like the end of the *magic* for Tebow. It never really happened for him again after that, and I was sad.

I have mentioned here before of reading his book, and how in it Tebow tells of refusing to play another position (in jr. high, I think). I'm not sure, as I don't have the book handy, but IIRC, his dad was adamant that he only play QB or else he would leave the team he played for. I guess it goes back to that time, that never-backing-down kind of attitude. Maybe that is his dream, and he only sees himself as part of the NFL. Nothing less will do.

I mention Tebow's book because it gave me more insight to how he perceives different things. The big, and I do mean really big thing is, that all through the book, there was this tone of *his* accomplishments, and not one of *team* accomplishments. That's how I read it, anyway. Maybe that's why he's not coming down from that cloud.

CoryWinget81
09-07-2013, 03:51 PM
It's always been about "Tebow" to Tebow. Just ask him.

ruksak
09-08-2013, 09:49 AM

The door is already shut. He has to open it by considering some humility and admitting to himself that he will never be a gifted enough passer for the NFL.

GoManning
09-08-2013, 05:25 PM
A spokesman for USA Rugby says there's no offer, only a tweet from the governing body's CEO and president Nigel Melville.

Melville tweeted last Saturday: One door closes, an Olympic Rugby door opens for @TimTebow - we should talk about our global game! @USARugby

Tebow hasn't responded as far as USA Rugby communications coordinator Chad Wise knows. Melville, who has played internationally for England and has coached the London Wasps and Gloucester, said he sent the tweet to let Tebow know "there are other options besides playing football in Canada."

fallforward3y+
09-12-2013, 05:03 AM
The door is already shut. He has to open it by considering some humility and admitting to himself that he will never be a gifted enough passer for the NFL.

Never is a word that should not be used regarding NFL players, in most cases. Obviously he only wants to play QB, so thinking he never will be good enough isn't going to help him get there.

fallforward3y+
09-12-2013, 05:09 AM
Tebow doesn't want to play a position other than QB, that's his personal choice. His goal in life is apparently to be an NFL Quarterback, not just an NFL player. Taking a position that is not QB will not help him achieve that goal, so it make sense not to take it if your him.

Criticizing him for not being a 'team player' is nonsense, his life, his goals no reason he should take offers that do not lead to achieving them. People are always going to take their own wants into consideration, get over it.

As far as the door closing, perhaps it is perhaps not. Next year, maybe even this year some team may sign him.

ruksak
09-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Tebow doesn't want to play a position other than QB, that's his personal choice. His goal in life is apparently to be an NFL Quarterback, not just an NFL player. Taking a position that is not QB will not help him achieve that goal, so it make sense not to take it if your him.

Criticizing him for not being a 'team player' is nonsense, his life, his goals no reason he should take offers that do not lead to achieving them. People are always going to take their own wants into consideration, get over it.

As far as the door closing, perhaps it is perhaps not. Next year, maybe even this year some team may sign him.

There comes a time when all people have to come to terms with their limitations. Denial, in this case, is potentially preventing him from being a part of this NFL.

Believing that you're something in which your are not is in no way advantageous to ones self. It is with this I ask you; At what point should Tebow admit the defeat of his NFL QB dream?

baphamet
09-12-2013, 10:32 AM

didn't he say he would do anything to become an NFL QB? going to the CFL at this point is part of "doing everything he can" and he refuses to do it.

so i don't believe him when he says that.

southern cross
09-12-2013, 04:00 PM
I realize that the thread is going nowhere, but wanted to add this thought.

Wasn't Kurt Warner stocking shelves at the grocery store and playing Arena ball before finally getting a big chance in the NFL? I think that the difference was that Warner had the talent, but needed the time to mature into the QB that he later became.

I've often thought that Tim could play in the Arena league. The shorter field might work wonders for him.

Freyaka
09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
didn't he say he would do anything to become an NFL QB? going to the CFL at this point is part of "doing everything he can" and he refuses to do it.

so i don't believe him when he says that.

He wants instant gratification and won't settle for working hard for it...Which is why it will never happen for him.

fallforward3y+
09-12-2013, 10:40 PM
There comes a time when all people have to come to terms with their limitations. Denial, in this case, is potentially preventing him from being a part of this NFL.

Believing that you're something in which your are not is in no way advantageous to ones self. It is with this I ask you; At what point should Tebow admit the defeat of his NFL QB dream?

Your limitations are what you make them, in many cases. If he is willing to work to get better, maybe one day he will become a good passer. Of course, it's better to stick with your trade, so his best hope is with a team wanting to run the option. Jacksonville seems the most likely place for now, eventually they may realize they have nothing better, and sign him to get someone who can at least run and will sell tickets.

fallforward3y+
09-12-2013, 10:46 PM
He wants instant gratification and won't settle for working hard for it...Which is why it will never happen for him. If he takes that mentality, then your right it will never happen for me.

Regarding what was said about Warner in the above post, he is a key example of the never say never mentality. Saying 'he will never' is just a false sense of being able to know the future, that's why I always say unlikely.

The key difference in Warner and Tebow was the style of play, and Warner's work ethic was maybe the best among QBs. Having a very good teacher in Martz helped as well.

nierika
09-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Stubborn like Eric Crouch (who would have had a good career in the NFL as a receiver but refused to change from QB - ended up with stints at QB in NFL Europe, the CFL and the UFL.)

RocketArm006
09-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Tebow would kill it in the AFL - short field, diluted talent. He has excellent running ability, but just doesn't have the throwing ability required for an NFL QB. The CFL is a primarily passing league due to only having 3 downs. Don't think he would be a good fit there, IMO, but could develop there.

Tebow is certainly allowed his own choice, but I think it's a little rigid and short sighted. After being cut by the Patriots, his options at QB in the NFL aren't looking good.

southern cross
09-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Tebow would kill it in the AFL - short field, diluted talent. He has excellent running ability, but just doesn't have the throwing ability required for an NFL QB. The CFL is a primarily passing league due to only having 3 downs. Don't think he would be a good fit there, IMO, but could develop there.

I've been to a couple of Arena games, and I could definitely see him fitting in there. He could be a big draw for the whole game. As I mentioned before, and you did as well, the short field could serve him well.

dizzolve
09-13-2013, 09:32 AM
This is probably why he is no longer a Bronco as well.

I'm sure our brass gave him this same option which he likely immediately rejected - then all his fans blasted the Broncos for rejecting Tebow