PDA

View Full Version : Willis McGahee to Cleveland

Denver Mike
09-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Pending a physical

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000246848/article/willis-mcgahee-to-sign-with-browns-pending-physical

Without a doubt Cleveland can use help on the ground after trading away Richardson.. Looks like we'll be seeing Willis lining up behind Weeden

Charlie Brown
09-18-2013, 04:14 PM
That is such an upgrade! An old player that couldn't even make your team. He's definitely the answer. Since they need hp at WR maybe they should check and see if Tim Brown is open to play again.

Denver Mike
09-18-2013, 04:28 PM
That is such an upgrade! An old player that couldn't even make your team. He's definitely the answer. Since they need hp at WR maybe they should check and see if Tim Brown is open to play again.

Easy there bud. Cleveland is hardly the gold standard for model athletes.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Just last week the Giants chose Brandon Jacobs over McGahee. I wonder how Willis is going to do.

BroncoFanBoy
09-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Charlie, I'll tell you something about Willis. He has his moments, but he's a terrible pass catcher and he fumbles at times.

Charlie Brown
09-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Easy there bud. Cleveland is hardly the gold standard for model athletes.

Not anymore you mean. Willis McGahee couldn't make your team and your team this year is all about the passing game. You have no running game!

Amari24
09-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Not anymore you mean. Willis McGahee couldn't make your team and your team this year is all about the passing game. You have no running game!

I take it you missed out on Knowshon running circles around New York for a total of 100 yds?

Charlie Brown
09-18-2013, 04:46 PM
I take it you missed out on Knowshon running circles around New York for a total of 100 yds?

In case you missed the Giants passed on him in favor of Jacobs.

atwaterandstir
09-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Because of the familiarity....nothing more. Wilson is their-guy hes just in a coach assisted time out for now.
They didnt need a bell cow rb, they needed a vet that could step in immediately and play.
Your team needs a new lead back. McGahee isnt going to ruin your crap season.

Charlie Brown
09-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Because of the familiarity....nothing more. Wilson is their-guy hes just in a coach assisted time out for now.
They didnt need a bell cow rb, they needed a vet that could step in immediately and play.

McGahee is no replacement for Richardson. He flat out can't play anymore!! He is no workhorse RB he is just an old past his prime nothing! He is nothing!! There is no run game!!

atwaterandstir
09-18-2013, 05:06 PM
McGahee is no replacement for Richardson. He flat out can't play anymore!! He is no workhorse RB he is just an old past his prime nothing! He is nothing!! There is no run game!!

Hes not supposed to replace Richardsons production....hes supposed to replace Richardsons role.
I know deals like this suck for you Browns fans, but dont go hating McGahee just because your team traded Richardson. McGahee had 800 yards in 10 games last year before his injury, and 1200 the season before in 15 games.
Hes far from a "nothing".

He may be past his prime....but so are the Browns.

Charlie Brown
09-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Hes not supposed to replace Richardsons production....hes supposed to replace Richardsons role.
I know deals like this suck for you Browns fans, but dont go hating McGahee just because your team traded Richardson. McGahee had 800 yards in 10 games last year before his injury, and 1200 the season before in 15 games.
Hes far from a "nothing".

He may be past his prime....but so are the Browns.

The Browns were the second YOUNGEST team in the NFL. They had room to grow. Now the team has to look for another running back. A position that was a strength! Now it is the most glaring need. The team now competes with the Jags for worst in the NFL. The team is 0-2 and the division leaders are 1-1. The team was still in it. Now? Now the team is by far the worst in the league. It would be like the Vikings trading Peterson! He IS their team!!

Rancid
09-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Seems like a good move. I know I wish we had not gotten rid of Willis. We could sure use him and I am sure the Browns can too.

Charlie Brown
09-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Seems like a good move. I know I wish we had not gotten rid of Willis. We could sure use him and I am sure the Browns can too.

Actually no. The team could use Trent Richardson. The team could use him more instead of trading him away like idiots. They don't want to run anyway, since they got rid of him. The team doesn't need the geriatric McGahee,

Rancid
09-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Actually no. The team could use Trent Richardson. The team could use him more instead of trading him away like idiots. They don't want to run anyway, since they got rid of him. The team doesn't need the geriatric McGahee,

I see your point. It seems like when they do get a good RB they cannot keep him around. Hillis, Richardson and I am sure there are others. I am not sure why they got rid of Richardson and Willis is not an upgrade and I do not see Weeden as a read-option...lol...maybe they just like old dudes on that team?

atwaterandstir
09-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Richardson while showing some signs of good play ran the ball something like 275 times last year for a 3.5 average 900 yards and a mere 35 first downs.
Hes a good player, but hes a RB....they can and often are easily replaceable.
Alfred Morris just put up 1600 yards and 4.8 average with 83 first downs gained.

He was a 6th rd pick, Richardson was the 3rd overall.
The sky is not falling in Cleveland, it was a head scratcher to me at first, but after really looking at it, his production can be replaced....especially if the team uses the extra first wisely and actually nails a draft or two.

johntbronco
09-18-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm not going to get into the debate here. Just want to say, good luck in your new home Willis.

Charlie Brown
09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Richardson while showing some signs of good play ran the ball something like 275 times last year for a 3.5 average 900 yards and a mere 35 first downs.
Hes a good player, but hes a RB....they can and often are easily replaceable.
Alfred Morris just put up 1600 yards and 4.8 average with 83 first downs gained.

He was a 6th rd pick, Richardson was the 3rd overall.
The sky is not falling in Cleveland, it was a head scratcher to me at first, but after really looking at it, his production can be replaced....especially if the team uses the extra first wisely and actually nails a draft or two.

The team is in disarray now. Fans are already talking about boycotting games. The sky is falling. Just when the team gets a good player, the front office trades them away. The team wants a face for the team? They just traded it away.

BroncoFanBoy
09-18-2013, 06:46 PM
I think if the Browns got a Top 5 pick, I wouldn't have hated the move as much, but Indy, at worst, would likely get between the 12-20 range. It's not like Richardson was traded to the Jets.

Charlie Brown
09-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I think if the Browns got a Top 5 pick, I wouldn't have hated the move as much, but Indy, at worst, would likely get between the 12-20 range. It's not like Richardson was traded to the Jets.

The team just traded one potential all-pro to an up and coming team in exchange for another draft pick (which will be another player that they'll trade)!

atwaterandstir
09-18-2013, 06:51 PM
The team is in disarray now. Fans are already talking about boycotting games. The sky is falling. Just when the team gets a good player, the front office trades them away. The team wants a face for the team? They just traded it away.

I get it...I really do......but the team can replace his production thats the bottom line.
Sure the team with no identity just traded away the only semblance of that, but the guy was not untouchable.
The team that had his rights just traded him away for whats likely a pick in the 20s.
Its no secret the Browns are lacking in areas, yet they felt fine in doing this move. If he were as valuable as Browns fan make him out to be he wouldnt have been dealt. I think this is more a fan base finally getting behind a player and it stings. I get the dissapointment, and I feel bad for Browns fans, but IMO the guy was good....not great.

Charlie Brown
09-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Now to replace him is Mr. Journeyman over-the-hill. Even if it was the McGahee the Ravens had - hell no!!

BroncoFanBoy
09-18-2013, 10:00 PM
The team just traded one potential all-pro to an up and coming team in exchange for another draft pick (which will be another player that they'll trade)!

I am aware of that, but if they HAD to trade him, they traded him for bad value. The Colts are competitors so the Browns would likely get a low first round pick. Like you said, Richardson is a young and up coming back. Those don't exactly grow on trees in the NFL these days. If they did, Montee Ball would be a really good back right now.

I still would've hated the move if they got a Top 5 pick, but it would've been less idiotic.

fallforward3y+
09-19-2013, 02:04 AM

Aww come on, don't rain on his parade. Let him believe they actually had a legit shot at the playoffs if Richardson had stayed, it's a change from his normal anti-Browns pessimism.

fallforward3y+
09-19-2013, 02:14 AM

That's because of his history with them, I mean are you actually being serious right now? Willis is a pretty good back, teams release good players every year and they often have success with other teams, there's a variety of reasons why a good player may be released.

Willis may be old, but he can still play well. He can do a good job finishing runs, getting yards while being tackled at the end of them, which can help you with a consistent running game.

Sure, Richardson will be missed, but this will be a good pick up for Cleveland. It probably won't make them a playoff team, but that already had only a 1 percent chance of happening anyway.

Charlie Brown
09-19-2013, 05:20 AM
Aww come on, don't rain on his parade. Let him believe they actually had a legit shot at the playoffs if Richardson had stayed, it's a change from his normal anti-Browns pessimism.

It's not that at all. I didn't expect playoffs. The team had building blocks in place for next year. Now? Now even that is being mortgaged. There are no building blocks anymore.

25Harris_HOF
09-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Happy for him to get a shot at being a starter again. Not on a good team but he still has some gas left. Just saw its official he is a Brown. Thanks for the fun ride Willis especially the tebow era. Best wishes.

Chillez
09-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I wish him all the best unless he plays us. I hope he is able to play well, he still has gas left in the tank.

Charlie Brown
09-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Horrible signing. The guy doesn't have a leg to stand on, literally. He doesn't have anything left and was a free agent for a reason. Would have been better to try and get Maurice Clarett!

25Harris_HOF
09-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Your sir are obviously not familiar with Willis.

broncoslover115
09-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Congratulations Willie. You deserved another shot!

fallforward3y+
09-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Horrible signing. The guy doesn't have a leg to stand on, literally. He doesn't have anything left and was a free agent for a reason. Would have been better to try and get Maurice Clarett!

If over reacting was a crime, you would never see the light of day again. Like I said before, Willis does bring something to the table, he'll be good for your team.

So, you didn't expect playoffs this year but thought building blocks were in place, but now you think that's all ruined just because Richardson is gone? There is no way Richardson would have made that great of a difference, just no way. RBs rarely make that big of a difference with how offenses and plays are designed.

They matter some, but not to the degree your claiming. The line makes the biggest difference in the run game, and a good line usually means good run game as long as the back is half decent. RB is one of the positions where there are no god awful players, they all do at least something well. That's why RB signings don't ruin teams, plus Richardson is good but your acting as though he's the best in the league.

If your team's future is wrecked then it was wrecked before this ever happened. This move did not ruin your team's future, at all.

roushmartin6
09-20-2013, 12:23 AM
I feel sorry for you Charlie, the Browns are hell bent on never being good again. The Texans came into the league after they came back and are playoff contenders, yet the Browns keep knocking down the 1/4 finished house every year.