PDA

View Full Version : Chip Should Try Playing The NFL Game

CanDB
09-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Lots of buzz when Chip Kelly got the call, to the NFL. Even more so, in the Eagles opening game against Washington. That first half was incredible! High-paced, innovative, good execution. Hey, the buzz was all worthwhile.

Game two didn't fare quite so well. I didn't see it, but heard that Kelly mismanaged the clock in the last few minutes of the game. Correct me if I heard wrong.

Last night was a bit of a mess, although you can't blame Chip for all the turnovers. But I get a sense that his playbook is already being digested by opposing DCs. Already??? Well, maybe not to a high degree, but one has to know that NFL DCs got to where they are for a reason. Further, what was that 2 point conversion all about? Being down 3 points early in a game is the obvious choice. Why give a point away? Some will say that 2 points is way better than 1, and worth the risk of getting it, but cmon, 10-7 is way better than 10-6 so early in a game.

Sure, innovation is cool, and sometimes you got to shake up the way things are. But when I look back to game one I realize that Aaron Rodgers did a lot of damage the following week to Washington......so maybe their D was ripe when The Eagles played them.

I am not saying that some college style play design is foolish, not at all. And I am not saying that Kelly isn't playing NFL style football......he clearly is. But if The Eagles don't turn a few things around, like a porous D, Chip may not be around long enough to make a real dent in the NFL.

I am not saying he won't make it too far, but I will suggest that our guy Peyton is feasting at the thought of the yardage he will compile against Kelly's team. And I have a strong hunch that JDR will be ready for the trickery we've seen to date.

If anything, I think Kelly should get good at the NFL before trying to change too much of it.

(And maybe get a bodyguard for McCoy, because without him, The Eagles are not going anywhere....)

Rancid
09-20-2013, 06:34 PM
I agree with you. The Eagles were pathetic last night. That two-point conversion play was straight off the playground. Chip Kelly just put lipstick on the pig-- it is still a pig in Philly.

InsaneBlaze23
09-20-2013, 07:29 PM
As some media personalities said...that play style is gonna be just like the wild cat. Now I think it'll last longer than the wild cat, but it's not gonna last in the NFL. D-Coords are too good at finding ways to beat something, then there is the fact that for these college style schemes you're putting the QB at higher risk of injury. Owners and GMs aren't gonna run plays that put the franchise in danger.

It's a first half play style. As in it only works in the first half, then the defense make half time adjustments...

CoryWinget81
09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
You hit it on the head.

It took NFL DC's 3 games to dissect his offense.

They will still be able to run poorer teams out of the building or teams that don't prepare for them, but for the most part their high scoring average is going to come crashing back to Earth.

Furthermore, I remember this summer Chip said they weren't even going to practice tackling.

...boy did it ever show.

baphamet
09-20-2013, 08:03 PM
not that i totally disagree, but you guys are jumping to conclusions waaaaay too early. they were not executing his game plan last night, that is for sure.

all those mental errors had very little to do with KC figuring it out. plays were still being made, there were just a lot of mistakes (and some very good defensive plays by KC too).

i am not sold either way but i do agree that there is a possibility the Kelly offense doesn't last long term. either that or there is gonna be some serious ups and downs, especially if they don't have the right personnel to run it (which they do right now).

CanDB
09-20-2013, 08:19 PM
not that i totally disagree, but you guys are jumping to conclusions waaaaay too early. they were not executing his game plan last night, that is for sure.

all those mental errors had very little to do with KC figuring it out. plays were still being made, there were just a lot of mistakes (and some very good defensive plays by KC too).

i am not sold either way but i do agree that there is a possibility the Kelly offense doesn't last long term. either that or there is gonna be some serious ups and downs, especially if they don't have the right personnel to run it (which they do right now).

When I saw that 2 point attempt, I thought, "this guy's more smoke and mirrors than substance." Cmon, what was the point? And that stupid formation didn't fool The Chiefs. And this is game 3.

Heck, most of us were pulling for Philly last night, and they did not impress.....other than McCoy. And what he is doing has lot more to do with old fashioned football than gimmicks.

CanDB
09-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Off topic, but I almost split my gut when the ref called that penalty on Philly......something like, "every linemen was offside except the Center."

That was one funny situation!!

Rancid
09-20-2013, 08:35 PM

I have read a number of your posts and in my opinion you do not seem to take a position on anything. Kelly had all offseason to adjust the scheme and pick the players-- so far it looks like a failure. All the stupid errors aside, Vick could not hit the broad side of a barn last night. KC's offense was enemic; but Philly's was fail.