PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Denver!! (And Not To Forget Colorado In General)

CanDB
10-02-2013, 02:28 PM
It's been a number of years since I visited Denver. And I have never been to a Broncos game.......that is, until this past Sunday. What a great little vacation my wife and I had, not only being part of the Sports Authority special, but being able to spend some quality time in the city and beyond. For my wife, it was her first time in the area, and she loved it. We enjoyed staying downtown, near the 16th Street action, as well as the tours we went on. Of course the weather was fantastic, although I'm hearing snow might sneak in on Friday. I hope it doesn't for your sake!

Last year we actually had tickets and all our bookings for The Saints game, but I was hit with a bout of kidney stone blues just before we were leaving, and had to redeem everything.....and watch the game on TV.:sad: Luckily I learned a valuable lesson at the time, that travel insurance actually works!

The game was fabulous, and now I have one less thing on the old bucket list.

I just want to mention to those folks I've talked to before, about perhaps meeting if I visited, that in all fairness to my wife (who allows me to spend so much time here) I respect her wish for some privacy. I get that. She said it would be ok to meet at half time for example, but I realize now that we didn't have any extra time to do so, given we were splashing more suntan lotion on, and trying to get in some washroom/cold drink activities......and barely made it back for the kickoff!

If I ever come alone, I will look you folks up!:thumb:

Bonus......while taking one last walk around the downtown area (last evening) we bumped into two great hockey players - Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, who were in for their game with The Avs. I got to have a brief chat (mostly me talking!) at a street corner, as they were headed for supper across the street! Amazing! I must have sounded like a goof as I described them as 2 of the best hockey players on the planet, to my wife. Actually, they are.

THANKS AGAIN DENVER, COLORADO!!! You are still as beautiful as ever!:thumb: (next time I'll make it up to Pike's Peak!:eek:)

underrated29
10-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Id have bought you both a drink.

You met getz and perry!?!?!? WOW! That is awesome! By sheer chance, huh? No doubt you had a wonderful time here. Glad it worked out for you so well.

CanDB
10-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Id have bought you both a drink.

You met getz and perry!?!?!? WOW! That is awesome! By sheer chance, huh? No doubt you had a wonderful time here. Glad it worked out for you so well.

I appreciate your kind offer.....and I believe you would!

The hockey meeting was completely unexpected. We decided to go for one last walk (before leaving Denver) last evening, and as we strolled along Larimer(???) from 16th to 14th, we just happened to walk by them at the street light. It hit me quickly that I recognized those faces. Of course two tall, solid looking dudes are not exactly unnoticeable.

So I blurted out some things to prove I knew who they were, hopefully without making them awkward. Getz smiled, and Corey seemed just as he comes across on tv - a nice, quieter guy. I guess I was so geared to The Broncos and those Eagles fans downtown, that I totally lost track that hockey players would be in the same neck of the woods.

Further to our stay.....just want to also make mention how nice most of the folks were in Denver, which is how I remembered them the last time I was there. Plus it was so cool how easy it was getting back and forth from the game, strolling around town, and doing the tour thing. Loved the food as well, although I could become a Cheesecake Factory regular. We don't have one where I live, but I'm thinking of getting a franchise as of this past weekend!!;)

broncometfan247
10-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Im glad you had a great time in denver. I am from New York and am coming for the Jacksonville game. It will be my first time. This is something I've had on my bucket list for 13 years now. I'm bringing my girlfriend to experience the Mile High magic. What kind of tours did you go on? where did you and your wife eat. I want to try to not only make sure I have a great weekend but my girlfriend as well.

Thanks,
Bill

I appreciate your kind offer.....and I believe you would!

The hockey meeting was completely unexpected. We decided to go for one last walk (before leaving Denver) last evening, and as we strolled along Larimer(???) from 16th to 14th, we just happened to walk by them at the street light. It hit me quickly that I recognized those faces. Of course two tall, solid looking dudes are not exactly unnoticeable.

So I blurted out some things to prove I knew who they were, hopefully without making them awkward. Getz smiled, and Corey seemed just as he comes across on tv - a nice, quieter guy. I guess I was so geared to The Broncos and those Eagles fans downtown, that I totally lost track that hockey players would be in the same neck of the woods.

Further to our stay.....just want to also make mention how nice most of the folks were in Denver, which is how I remembered them the last time I was there. Plus it was so cool how easy it was getting back and forth from the game, strolling around town, and doing the tour thing. Loved the food as well, although I could become a Cheesecake Factory regular. We don't have one where I live, but I'm thinking of getting a franchise as of this past weekend!!;)

EddieMac
10-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Awesome isn't it Dave? I love that city. Already pre-planning for another one next year. My Seahawks fan and Cowboys fan buddies are now hardcore fans of the City and Cheer for the Broncos when they are not playing their teams.

CanDB
10-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Awesome isn't it Dave? I love that city. Already pre-planning for another one next year. My Seahawks fan and Cowboys fan buddies are now hardcore fans of the City and Cheer for the Broncos when they are not playing their teams.

It is a fabulous city and surrounding state! Two visits and I feel the same way. My wife was equally impressed with the friendliness and views! I believe we come from a very friendly place, but we have experienced a lot of cities that aren't nearly so kind.

garzjoe
10-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Nice! Glad you had a great time! If you do ever make it by yourself I bet you would get a bunch of people to meet up at like a bar or tailgating. I have a Broncos Beer Pong table and Canopy and I'm always in for Broncos Football! :goz:

Thx,
Joe

CanDB
10-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Im glad you had a great time in denver. I am from New York and am coming for the Jacksonville game. It will be my first time. This is something I've had on my bucket list for 13 years now. I'm bringing my girlfriend to experience the Mile High magic. What kind of tours did you go on? where did you and your wife eat. I want to try to not only make sure I have a great weekend but my girlfriend as well.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

I am certainly not an expert but I can tell you what we liked. We stayed in the downtown area (a little expensive but we expected to pay for that location), and even though there was no shuttle service from our hotel, we could easily walk to 16th street (one block away) and enjoy the food/ambiance of the area. 16th Street has free shuttle buses, so you can catch one if you don't want to walk. For the game, we took advantage of catching the buses at the Market terminal that start running about 2 hours before the game. It is not a long ride, and cost $4.50 per person, return trip. Some folks were walking to the game, which I can only estimate as a couple of miles. It amazed me that we left the game just before it ended, and found the bus, and were back downtown for supper all within about 25 minutes. Maybe we timed it just right????

I like the restaurant selection on 16th Street, although we ended up eating at The Cheesecake Factory more than the others. But there are a lot of nice spots, and if you like eating outdoors, you have some nice options.

The downtown seemed quite safe to me, but like everywhere else, there are folks walking there that you try to ignore. I believe the police are regular visitors, so all in all, felt pretty good walking, even in the evening. On the weekend for sure it was busy with folks taking in the atmosphere, so it was perfect.

As for tours, we ended up doing a city/mountain park tour, which we were driven to and from. The gathering point is Cherry Creek Mall, which is a very good place for folks who like to shop. We didn't walk to it, but I see that Elway's restaurant is at one end of the facility. (I also saw one at the airport).

The city tour was not great, but our driver did know a lot about the area, and I liked seeing all the sports sights, and hearing the details about them. I believe our driver did a really good job of informing us about the city.

We liked the mountain parks tour, which takes you to Red Rock park, the amazing concert location within the unusual rock formations. It seems like all the greats have played there! The acoustics of this rock structure make it a worthy amphitheatre, and the views are fantastic. The tour also took us to the resting area/museum of Buffalo Bill Cody, which also had a great viewing area, at about 7,400 feet. I liked some of the sights along the way, as we rode thru the canyon, and passed some little mountain towns.

We are not big on heights, so we avoided the Pike's Peak tour......but apparently it is done by a train, that takes you to the top. If you are ok with elevation, it is supposed to be a great opportunity!

All in all, just ask the hotel folks about tours.

I would love to have gone to Boulder, because I really like that place. But the recent flooding was still a problem. On my last trip we also visited the Stanley Hotel, in the town of Estes, which is connected with the movie "The Shining."

I'm sure if you had a car, you could drive through mountains for days and days. The scenery is amazing! I guess a lot of this has to do with how many days you spend in Denver.

Hope I have described/explained things accordingly! Anyone else please join in if I am a little off on my details, plus feel free to expand on how you would do things.

CanDB
10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
One last thing.....for any Afternoon games, even going into October, unless your tickets are sheltered from the sun, be sure to bring a hat, suntan lotion and sun glasses. We did all the above, but when the sun hit our seats around the end of the 1st Q, it was quite intense! The temperature was mid 70s, but holy cow, it was surprisingly hot for a while!! Mile high I guess.

Luckily a nice friendly cloud cluster came over and made the last half very comfortable.:D......methinks our Broncos responded very well to the shade.

GNWbronco
10-06-2013, 08:04 AM
I hear ya, Can. I've been down for a game every since 2007 inclusively. I'll be there next week for the game vs the Jaguars. I really like Denver, it's awesome city. I've even been there a few times outside of football season.

CanDB
10-06-2013, 08:59 AM
I hear ya, Can. I've been down for a game every since 2007 inclusively. I'll be there next week for the game vs the Jaguars. I really like Denver, it's awesome city. I've even been there a few times outside of football season.

Hey bud......a local bud at that......good to hear from you and that you see it the way I do. Prepare for a big victory next week!

:thumb:

broncometfan247
10-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Thank You so much for all of your information. It's good to hear from someone what there is to do before I actually get there so I can plan accordingly. I think you have a career in selling a city to someone. haha. Definately will take your advice and let you know how the trip goes when we get back. Go Broncos!

Bill,

I am certainly not an expert but I can tell you what we liked. We stayed in the downtown area (a little expensive but we expected to pay for that location), and even though there was no shuttle service from our hotel, we could easily walk to 16th street (one block away) and enjoy the food/ambiance of the area. 16th Street has free shuttle buses, so you can catch one if you don't want to walk. For the game, we took advantage of catching the buses at the Market terminal that start running about 2 hours before the game. It is not a long ride, and cost $4.50 per person, return trip. Some folks were walking to the game, which I can only estimate as a couple of miles. It amazed me that we left the game just before it ended, and found the bus, and were back downtown for supper all within about 25 minutes. Maybe we timed it just right????

I like the restaurant selection on 16th Street, although we ended up eating at The Cheesecake Factory more than the others. But there are a lot of nice spots, and if you like eating outdoors, you have some nice options.

The downtown seemed quite safe to me, but like everywhere else, there are folks walking there that you try to ignore. I believe the police are regular visitors, so all in all, felt pretty good walking, even in the evening. On the weekend for sure it was busy with folks taking in the atmosphere, so it was perfect.

As for tours, we ended up doing a city/mountain park tour, which we were driven to and from. The gathering point is Cherry Creek Mall, which is a very good place for folks who like to shop. We didn't walk to it, but I see that Elway's restaurant is at one end of the facility. (I also saw one at the airport).

The city tour was not great, but our driver did know a lot about the area, and I liked seeing all the sports sights, and hearing the details about them. I believe our driver did a really good job of informing us about the city.

We liked the mountain parks tour, which takes you to Red Rock park, the amazing concert location within the unusual rock formations. It seems like all the greats have played there! The acoustics of this rock structure make it a worthy amphitheatre, and the views are fantastic. The tour also took us to the resting area/museum of Buffalo Bill Cody, which also had a great viewing area, at about 7,400 feet. I liked some of the sights along the way, as we rode thru the canyon, and passed some little mountain towns.

We are not big on heights, so we avoided the Pike's Peak tour......but apparently it is done by a train, that takes you to the top. If you are ok with elevation, it is supposed to be a great opportunity!

All in all, just ask the hotel folks about tours.

I would love to have gone to Boulder, because I really like that place. But the recent flooding was still a problem. On my last trip we also visited the Stanley Hotel, in the town of Estes, which is connected with the movie "The Shining."

I'm sure if you had a car, you could drive through mountains for days and days. The scenery is amazing! I guess a lot of this has to do with how many days you spend in Denver.

Hope I have described/explained things accordingly! Anyone else please join in if I am a little off on my details, plus feel free to expand on how you would do things.

CanDB
10-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Thank You so much for all of your information. It's good to hear from someone what there is to do before I actually get there so I can plan accordingly. I think you have a career in selling a city to someone. haha. Definately will take your advice and let you know how the trip goes when we get back. Go Broncos!

Have a great time......and if it's sunny (which it is a lot of the time), consider the lotion, sunglasses and hat......depending on where you are sitting.

dsmith275
10-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed our great state and the city of Denver. Its a great City especially when the Broncos are playing! You should try going to the top of pikes peak next time your here. You can either drive up or take the Cog Railway up. I have driven to the top and its a cool drive never rode the cog railway but hear its good too!