PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Backup plan?

MileHighCrusher
10-05-2013, 02:34 AM
So we all know by now this years super bowl is to be played in the Meadowlands (New York/New Wark) which obviously will most likely be a cold-whether super bowl...if the conditions are playable then great, but what if a extreme blizzard just so happens to land on super bowl sunday? What will the league do? Could they possibly put an temporary air dome over metlife stadium? Is that something that could be put in in a day or 2?

flosstein
10-05-2013, 03:07 AM
They will plow the snow and the game will proceed as usual. It's an outdoor sport and the elements are part of the game. I hope the people who are paying $5K for a ticket are smart enough to dress appropriately for an outdoor stadium in February.

The only weather event that will stall a football game is lightning. And snow and just below freezing temps aren't that bad, nor are they that normal anymore out here. But a Nor'Easter would suck more Han anything. Freezing rain, temps in the negs-low teens, and wind. That should be the worry for that SB, not snow or a rare blizzard.

ruksak
10-05-2013, 03:08 AM
The NFL has contingency plans for such. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/nfl-planning-contingencies-for-weather-issues-at-super-bowl/)Bear in mind, though the prospect of severe winter weather is a new twist, the SB has been planned MANY times outdoors, always subject to Mother Nature's interference.

"The league is considering various options that include the possibility of delaying the contest several days in the event of a weather emergency on game day. The league even could decide to play the game on Saturday if faced with an ominous forecast, sources said. "

As a fan that appreciates bad weather games as part of the very essence of football, I would be glad to see a firm snow shower during the SB.

ruksak
10-05-2013, 03:11 AM
They will plow the snow and the game will proceed as usual. It's an outdoor sport and the elements are part of the game. I hope the people who are paying $5K for a ticket are smart enough to dress appropriately for an outdoor stadium in February.

The only weather event that will stall a football game is lightning. And snow and just below freezing temps aren't that bad, nor are they that normal anymore out here. But a Nor'Easter would suck more Han anything. Freezing rain, temps in the negs-low teens, and wind. That should be the worry for that SB, not snow or a rare blizzard.

I have family in Denver. They laughed back in 2006 when they were here in Indianapolis visiting and our city was hobbled by 12 inches of snow. My aunt laughed and said "We measure snow by the foot in Colorado".

Truth be told, a severe nor'easterly Blizzard would SHUT DOWN NYC.

flosstein
10-05-2013, 01:34 PM
I have family in Denver. They laughed back in 2006 when they were here in Indianapolis visiting and our city was hobbled by 12 inches of snow. My aunt laughed and said "We measure snow by the foot in Colorado".

Truth be told, a severe nor'easterly Blizzard would SHUT DOWN NYC.

The thing about a nor'easter is, in the stadium area, the temps get too cold and the humidity level is too high for it to snow. The blizzard portion happens in the higher elevations, roughly 20-30 miles outside Manhattan, where the conditions tend to be favorable for snow. The stadium area will get that nasty brutally cold wind, ice, rain, snow mix. And 12" of snow, for NYC, is nothing. It's generally gone by morning. Only time it was an issue was when all the DPW workers were on furlough and they had like 3 guys covering all of lower and mid-town Manhattan

But even still, with the amount of money being generated and spent, there is no way possible NYC and the surrounding areas will be shut down by mother nature. There will be storm crews in a force like we have never seen before. The snow wouldn't have time to stick before it's plowed and shoveled away. Roads will be plowed and salted 'round the clock. It will look nothing like the dumpster fire that was Dallas.

johntbronco
10-05-2013, 01:43 PM
We don't have a plan B. We are going with plan A. ~Elway

KWHIT97
10-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I, for one, hate the idea of a cold-weather Super Bowl. I want to see the 2 best teams in football mano e mano with the elements out of the equation. The only cities that should be hosting Super Bowls imo are Miami, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and San Diego. I'm also ok with domes hosting them like Detroit, Indy, Minnesota and St. Louis.

How much fun will it be seeing Peyton Manning vs. Drew Brees in 20 below windchills and windy conditions, with sleet and snow? I like snow games as much as the next guy, love them actually, but on the big stage I want to see a level playing field! I may be alone on this, but I hate the fact that this years Super Bowl is in New York.

TheArtofManning
10-05-2013, 02:22 PM
I, for one, hate the idea of a cold-weather Super Bowl. I want to see the 2 best teams in football mano e mano with the elements out of the equation. The only cities that should be hosting Super Bowls imo are Miami, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and San Diego. I'm also ok with domes hosting them like Detroit, Indy, Minnesota and St. Louis.

How much fun will it be seeing Peyton Manning vs. Drew Brees in 20 below windchills and windy conditions, with sleet and snow? I like snow games as much as the next guy, love them actually, but on the big stage I want to see a level playing field! I may be alone on this, but I hate the fact that this years Super Bowl is in New York.

I agree completely. The only reason it's in NY, is because........it's New York.

Frenchy180
10-05-2013, 02:38 PM

"I want it to be 70 degrees and sunny too, but that's not football"

flosstein
10-05-2013, 02:54 PM

Honestly, if either one is as great as we make them out to be, it should still be an epic game. If these QB's can't handle the weather in the single biggest game of the year, then we need to rethink usage of the words "great" and "elite" when we speak of them. And that would make Rogers the only Elite active QB since he does it regularly from Nov-Jan

TheArtofManning
10-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Honestly, if either one is as great as we make them out to be, it should still be an epic game. If these QB's can't handle the weather in the single biggest game of the year, then we need to rethink usage of the words "great" and "elite" when we speak of them. And that would make Rogers the only Elite active QB since he does it regularly from Nov-Jan

If it's windy, icy, snowy and downright cold, I don't care what QB you're talking about, his production will drop off.

flosstein
10-05-2013, 06:49 PM
If it's windy, icy, snowy and downright cold, I don't care what QB you're talking about, his production will drop off.

No his production shouldn't drop off. We are so used to this pass happy fantasy football driven NFL. Weather is party the game. And how the QB manages his offense in the elements is a testament to how good a QB he really is. Did you watch the NFCCG between NYG and GB? Both QB's fought like heck with sub-zero temps once you factored in the wind chill.

So in short, QB's production is not all about his passing stats. But how he handles any adversity thrown his way and puts his team in the best position to win.