PDA

View Full Version : MODS/Admin - Avatar size increase

dred
12-03-2004, 12:46 AM
I have a new animated .gif that I would really love to begin using for my avatar if its alright with everyone.

Its only 74 x 67 pixels in height/width, but it happens to be 57k.

The current size limitation is 100x100 and 19.5k. (eek)

I was wondering if it would be possible to increase the max size of the avatars just a little.

I'm not asking for much...just 37.5k.

:beer:

Alastor
12-03-2004, 03:15 AM
Again, not my business, and I apologize... but I do want to comment.

For a long time, I was one of those folks that couldn't afford DSL or broadband or anything, so I was stuck with a dial up connection. It sucked. Glad that's over with... but it taught me a lot of sympathy for those that remain on slower connections.

The reason avatar size and picture size and such is capped isn't because of the stress it places on the message boards. In fact you can link to damn near anything and as long as it's off site it doesn't eat any of the bandwidth here...

But too much of that stuff on one page and you're going to see people with dial up or sometimes even slower DSL connections start getting their browsers locked up when they load a page.

We already have a bunch of pics in sigs, some of which are animated, and a bunch of stuff that can make it a tedious chore for slower connection users to load a page. When we go overboard on that stuff, we're essentially kicking the slower connectivity users out - because they can't get the forums to load properly, if at all, or it takes forever to do so.

I'd be curious to see the stats for the site and see how many people that are active on the boards actually use a dial up connection. I bet not very many as it is.

And according to the Small Business Administration the average rate of connection on the Internet, even today, is still 26.6...

Just spitballing. We're blocking people out by default if we overload their connections. That's my understanding of it at least.

Alastor.

dred
12-03-2004, 08:50 AM
I know what you are saying Alastor.

It would not hurt to decrease signatures to just 1 single image.

Even with higher bandwidth I find it quite annoying to see so many images and animations loaded down in some of the signatures.

Your favorite basketball player, baseball team, fantasy girl, football play, smack image, or what have you , could be incorporated into a single image with a certain size limitation.

So I ask you.... Just say no to signature abuse. Say yes to an additional 37.k increase in avatar limiatation.

:rockon:

Booher
12-03-2004, 08:54 AM
DRED is a colts fan he gets nothing!!!!!!!!!!! :) :rockon:

dred
12-03-2004, 09:04 AM
I see a little wager coming on....

If the Colts win in Denver this year I get to be made a moderator. Say for a month.

If they lose I would be willing to convert (on this board only) to a bronco fan. Same time period as mentioned before, 1 month.

Hey, I am a respected poster on over 10 team boards.

I know what its like to deal with trolls and the other nonsense that happens on MBs from time to time.
You know, like when fans of other teams start demanding changes to the board and such.

lol

Alastor
12-03-2004, 09:04 AM
He makes a compelling case though.

Hey, Dred, thanks for Johnny Elway by the by.

Alastor.

dred
12-03-2004, 09:24 AM
If it wasn't for Elway going to Denver, we would have never ended up with Peyton Manning.

I think it worked out well for both of our teams.

See, now we gave you guys Elway.....that should be worth an additional 37.k increase to avatars shouldn't it?

orangenblue420
12-03-2004, 01:02 PM
DRED is a colts fan he gets nothing!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

Ha - exactly what I was thinkin :D :cheeky:

dred
12-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Silence Mortals!

See, I would make a really cool Mod.

orangenblue420
12-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Silence Mortals!

See, I would make a really cool Mod.

uuggghhhhhh - how dredful would that be :D

dred
12-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Hey, I'd be happy with a little size bump for avatars.

But I would thoroughly enjoy brow beating booher if I was a Mod.

I'd also demand some serious creativity in the Smack forum.

Slackers!

orangenblue420
12-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey, I'd be happy with a little size bump for **** slappin booher

Hey now you need to learn to be happy with what the good lord gave ya

dred
12-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey now you need to learn to be happy with what the good lord gave ya
So your pinning the 17.5k avatar limitation on Christ?

Now, lets be reasonable.

;)

Vulcan
12-03-2004, 01:44 PM
If the said avatar is 57kb, then decrease the number of slices it has, or shorten the length of the animation.

dred
12-03-2004, 04:29 PM
If the said avatar is 57kb, then decrease the number of slices it has, or shorten the length of the animation.

I know what you are saying, but that would ruin the effect.

Besides, that would defeat the purpose of this thread.

:cheers:

West
12-03-2004, 07:36 PM
i like that wager booher...good...im in...i dont know how BUT IM IN GOSH DANG IT! dred you are respected AS A FANTASY GOD....................................BUT NOTHING ELSE! other that fantasy your a DONKEY LIKE US :(

broncos_mgr
12-06-2004, 09:56 AM
I wish all fans of other teams who post here were as reasonable as dred...

For that matter, I wouldn't mind if a lot of our OWN fans were as reasonable as dred...

But he will NEVER be a moderator here. Kinda like having to be born in the U.S. to be president. You have to at LEAST be a Broncos fan to help run the joint. :)

orangenblue420
12-06-2004, 10:02 AM
For that matter, I wouldn't mind if a lot of our OWN fans were as reasonable as dred...

:)

Hey I resemble that remark :D

broncos_mgr
12-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Hey I resemble that remark :D

Wait until you see the cheap shot I took at you in the other thread... :smug:

Vulcan
12-06-2004, 02:19 PM
But he will NEVER be a moderator here. Kinda like having to be born in the U.S. to be president. You have to at LEAST be a Broncos fan to help run the joint. :)

They might change that rule, just for Arnold Swartzneggar (sp?).