• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BroncoooJohnson
    Playmaker
    • Oct 2011

T.J. Ward: Broncos' D will 'make a statement' in 2014

T.J. Ward wasn't on the Denver Broncos when the Seattle Seahawks demolished them in Super Bowl XLVIII. Heck, the Pro Bowl safety hasn't even met most of his teammates yet.

Those facts didn't stop the Broncos' free-agent acquisition from making a declaration on behalf of his new coworkers.

"I know I can speak for everybody on the defensive side of the ball when I say we're going to make a statement from point go, from the first preseason game," Ward told USA Today's Tom Pelissero. "From then on, teams can know what they're up against and know what to expect week-in and week-out. They don't have to just worry about the offense no more."

We can imagine John Elway likes to hear that fire from his defense. The Broncos general manager made it clear in his offseason signings -- Ward, pass rusher DeMarcus Ware, cornerback Aqib Talib -- he wanted to get tougher on the defensive side of the ball.

"As good as the Broncos' offense was last year, you see what happens when you get put up against a stout defense and an offense that can pretty much manage and make some plays here and there," Ward said, referring to the Super Bowl debacle.

Ward said Denver's defense plans on matching that historic Broncos offense as one of the best in the NFL in 2014.

"We're sending a message right now that we're coming in not only trying to be one of the top offenses in the league, but one of the top defenses in the world and get that Super Bowl ring," he exclaimed.

New Denver Broncos safety T.J. Ward said the team's defense plans on matching Peyton Manning's offense as one of the NFL's best in 2014. Can Ward's play match up with his promise?

Boom! Let's do this! When does the season start?

141 days?

Crap.
    Last edited by Peanut; 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM. Reason: Adding link.
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16
  • #87Birdman
    The MOD Who Laughs
    • Apr 2011

Don't do it that far. Take it by pieces. Like the Draft is only 21 and some hours away

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Comment

• 58Miller
      Football Immortal
      • Jul 2013

I think we have the pieces to be a dominant defense, I just question Del Rio. With our offense we should be an extremely aggressive defense and not the lets play prevent and rush 3 when were up motto Del Rio has instituted. Im sure some of that was due to injuries but the broncos need an attitude in defense Ward is a great start.
      sigpic

Comment

• BroncoooJohnson
        Playmaker
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
        I think we have the pieces to be a dominant defense, I just question Del Rio. With our offense we should be an extremely aggressive defense and not the lets play prevent and rush 3 when were up motto Del Rio has instituted. Im sure some of that was due to injuries but the broncos need an attitude in defense Ward is a great start.
        The reason I disagreed with the 3 and 4 man rush last season was because we played most of the season with SP and Ayers as our best pass rushers. With Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Malik Jackson, and Sly/Wolfe rushing the passer, we won't have to worry about the QB having too much time.
        Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

• FR Tim
          Football Immortal
          • Jul 2013

I am on board with anything the Broncos can do to create some havoc and get some turnovers.

The current roster "should" be able to do that. Solid DTs, xlnt edge pass rush and a secondary that can take advantage of the rushed or off target passes because of that pressure.

I am never a fan of a prevent or "just do not make a mistake" mentality on Defense.

Comment

• Chronoless
            Captain
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
            The reason I disagreed with the 3 and 4 man rush last season was because we played most of the season with SP and Ayers as our best pass rushers. With Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Malik Jackson, and Sly/Wolfe rushing the passer, we won't have to worry about the QB having too much time.
            Don't forget out treat in the middle "Pot Roast"
            Originally posted by broncos SB2010
            I doubt Chubb is high on their radar.

Comment

• BroncoFanBoy
              Here's hoping!
              • Jun 2009

Had our D stayed healthy last season, I think they would've been ok. Now if our D stays healthy, watch out.
              sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
              Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

• CanDB
                Football Immortal
                • Mar 2008

T.J. Ward: Broncos' D will 'make a statement' in 2014

New Denver Broncos safety T.J. Ward said the team's defense plans on matching Peyton Manning's offense as one of the NFL's best in 2014. Can Ward's play match up with his promise?

T.J. Ward wasn't on the Denver Broncos when the Seattle Seahawks demolished them in Super Bowl XLVIII. Heck, the Pro Bowl safety hasn't even met most of his teammates yet.

Those facts didn't stop the Broncos' free-agent acquisition from making a declaration on behalf of his new coworkers.

"I know I can speak for everybody on the defensive side of the ball when I say we're going to make a statement from point go, from the first preseason game," Ward told USA Today's Tom Pelissero. "From then on, teams can know what they're up against and know what to expect week-in and week-out. They don't have to just worry about the offense no more."

We can imagine John Elway likes to hear that fire from his defense. The Broncos general manager made it clear in his offseason signings -- Ward, pass rusher DeMarcus Ware, cornerback Aqib Talib -- he wanted to get tougher on the defensive side of the ball.

"As good as the Broncos' offense was last year, you see what happens when you get put up against a stout defense and an offense that can pretty much manage and make some plays here and there," Ward said, referring to the Super Bowl debacle.

Ward said Denver's defense plans on matching that historic Broncos offense as one of the best in the NFL in 2014.

"We're sending a message right now that we're coming in not only trying to be one of the top offenses in the league, but one of the top defenses in the world and get that Super Bowl ring," he exclaimed.

~~~~~~~~

I know it's early, and we have yet to play a down....but I love it when guys are pumped about the future. And why not? Injuries happen, but if we stay relatively healthy, we are going to be a major handful this season. With a few more good maneuvers in the offseason (including the draft which is only 3 weeks away), we're set to make that journey back to The Show.

Can't wait!!!

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
                  Football Immortal
                  • Dec 2012

I like Ward's attitude, with injured players back in 2014 season I think Ward is correct. A little more help in the draft is also needed. Q. Smith is going to be an interesting player to watch and Quentin Carter could also be a major help. Of course a healthy Von from the start of the season (I hope) will be a factor as well.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Chronoless
                    Captain
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
                    Had our D stayed healthy last season, I think they would've been ok. Now if our D stays healthy, watch out.
                    I think had Ryan Clady been healty we could of put up a better fight against the Seahawks, our Tackles lost us that game, if Clady was not hurt i think we could of move protection to Franklin (and let Clady Deal with Bennett) and given Manning more time.

Comment

• Chronoless
                      Captain
                      • Nov 2012

Orange CRUSH Baby...............:dance:

Comment

• onanygivensunda
                        Playmaker
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Chronoless View Post
                        ... if Clady was not hurt i think we could of move protection to Franklin (and let Clady Deal with Bennett) and given Manning more time.
                        Clemons played RDE for the Hawks last year... not Bennett.
                        "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

• Chronoless
                          Captain
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                          thanks for the correction, but Clady would of still been better blocking than what happen

Comment

• ERoyal248
                            All-Pro
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                            To be fair, JDR wasnt working with a healthy deck.

Our pass rushers in the playoffs were Mincey, Ayers, SP, and Jackson.

Not exactly the best group.

He did as good as you could hope for given all the injuries.

We had a top 5 defense a few years ago and the defense wasnt this talented.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                              All-Pro
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                              Bennett and Avril started at DE's in the SB, i believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X