PDA

View Full Version : 2014 FIFA World Cup

Pages : [1] 2

InsaneBlaze23
06-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Didn't see it posted and figure it deserves it own thing, being it's the biggest sporting event in the world.

Brasil v. Croatia kicks off in less than 30mins.
Storylines:
USA doesn't have Landon, which started a bit of controversy.
Brasil looking to win it's 6th Cup.

Who do you guys think will win it all? Who would you put in the final 4?

I got Brasil winning the cup vs Spain.
With the final 4 being Brasil v. Germany, Spain v. US.Think US is a dark horse with the potential to either make it to the final four, or lose every game.

86Elwayfan
06-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Didn't see it posted and figure it deserves it own thing, being it's the biggest sporting event in the world.

Brasil v. Croatia kicks off in less than 30mins.
Storylines:
USA doesn't have Landon, which started a bit of controversy.
Brasil looking to win it's 6th Cup.

Who do you guys think will win it all? Who would you put in the final 4?

I got Brasil winning the cup vs Spain.
With the final 4 being Brasil v. Germany, Spain v. US.Think US is a dark horse with the potential to either make it to the final four, or lose every game.

I have almost the exact same final four. I think Brazil at home is going to be hard to beat if I am honest but I have them and Spain in the finals as well. I don't however has quite as much faith in the US as you do. I have them getting out of the bracket with Germany (Primarily due to Ronaldo's questionable health status) but then losing to Argentina. My final 4 is: Germany, Argentina, Spain, and Brazil. Brazil is my final winner pick as well.

EvertonBroncos
06-12-2014, 02:45 PM
So it begins. Neymar scores 2 goals after he deliberately and blatantly elbows Modric in the face and should have been sent off.

InsaneBlaze23
06-12-2014, 03:19 PM
As a fan of Brasil, I'm not happy with the win. Refs really helped us out today.

Vhailor
06-13-2014, 10:20 AM
That's a problem. That shouldn't have been a penalty at all for Brazil. The referee in the match between Cameroon and Mexico has blown the whistle on what, three goals now?

Also, Sepp Blatter can go to Hell.

InsaneBlaze23
06-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Officials are doing really bad so far. A lot of questionable calls across the board.

SecondsAway131
06-13-2014, 11:27 AM
I've got Brazil, Germany, Spain, and Argentina in the semifinal. Spain Germany is my final. I think the Spaniards will be repeating.

Vhailor
06-13-2014, 11:36 AM
I am surprised that no one has even mentioned the Oranje. I think the Dutch are underestimated and I hope they can do well.

InsaneBlaze23
06-13-2014, 11:46 AM
I am surprised that no one has even mentioned the Oranje. I think the Dutch are underestimated and I hope they can do well.

I think their good, just don't see them getting into the final 4. Final 8 most definitely. I can see them being a dark horse playing for the gold.

To me the US and Belgium are alike. Both are young teams with players who can score, but at the same time both could lose every game in the cup.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-13-2014, 01:33 PM
The Dutch are just ripping it into them.

Sheabers
06-16-2014, 08:09 AM
For the Americans watching tonight, good luck v Ghana.

Although I think many of you are over estimating your chances, don't think you will be any where near the semi finals like some have suggested here. Might edge Portugal to second place although I cant see it, even if you do I reckon it will be Belgium next round and they will be too strong for you IMO.

DenverBlood
06-16-2014, 09:31 AM
For the Americans watching tonight, good luck v Ghana.

Although I think many of you are over estimating your chances, don't think you will be any where near the semi finals like some have suggested here. Might edge Portugal to second place although I cant see it, even if you do I reckon it will be Belgium next round and they will be too strong for you IMO.

Couple things.

First I don't think anyone is over estimating our chances. It's possible with a perfect run by a talented young group to reach the semifinals. But I don't think anyone expects it.

Many have said they would not be surprised to see an 0-3 run in the group of death.

My guess is somewhere in between. But we will be lucky to advance past the group stage.

Not sure why you value Belgium so high though. If the U.S. can advance out of the group of death with Germany and Portugal there is no reason Belgium should be considered too tough for them.

Sheabers
06-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Couple things.

First I don't think anyone is over estimating our chances. It's possible with a perfect run by a talented young group to reach the semifinals. But I don't think anyone expects it.

Many have said they would not be surprised to see an 0-3 run in the group of death.

My guess is somewhere in between. But we will be lucky to advance past the group stage.

Not sure why you value Belgium so high though. If the U.S. can advance out of the group of death with Germany and Portugal there is no reason Belgium should be considered too tough for them.

It's all about opinions but as a Scotsman we had Belgium in our qualifying group, we played them after getting Strachan in as manager, which has massively turned our fortunes around. They are a quality team, they ran away with a very tough group and with Kompany, Van Buyten, Eden Hazard, Lukaku, etc, etc. Although I believe you will win tonight I personally don't see you getting past Germany and Portugal for starters and no one in your squad, although their is a couple new faces for me, that makes me feel you can match the Belgians for quality.

DenverBlood
06-16-2014, 11:36 AM
It's all about opinions but as a Scotsman we had Belgium in our qualifying group, we played them after getting Strachan in as manager, which has massively turned our fortunes around. They are a quality team, they ran away with a very tough group and with Kompany, Van Buyten, Eden Hazard, Lukaku, etc, etc. Although I believe you will win tonight I personally don't see you getting past Germany and Portugal for starters and no one in your squad, although their is a couple new faces for me, that makes me feel you can match the Belgians for quality.

I never said we could beat Germany or Portugal.

All I'm saying is that if by some chance we do there is no reason we couldn't beat Belgium too.

Unless you are implying that Belgium is tougher than Germany and then I will laugh at you and the fingers tio stops here. But my guess is you aren't implying that.

Vhailor
06-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Not sure why you value Belgium so high though. If the U.S. can advance out of the group of death with Germany and Portugal there is no reason Belgium should be considered too tough for them.Belgium is definitely not as strong as Germany or Portugal, you are right there.

I think what the Belgian side has going for them is that they have a lot of quality players that aren't old. Not saying the US doesn't, but the US does not have the same level of quality throughout the squad nor are there as many established players in the big European leagues.

With that said, I really hope the US can do well. It'd be pretty fun!

DenverBlood
06-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Belgium is definitely not as strong as Germany or Portugal, you are right there.

I think what the Belgian side has going for them is that they have a lot of quality players that aren't old. Not saying the US doesn't, but the US does not have the same level of quality throughout the squad nor are there as many established players in the big European leagues.

With that said, I really hope the US can do well. It'd be pretty fun!

I'm not disagreeing with any of you about our weaknesses.

All I'm saying is that in order for a U.S. Vs Belgium match to happen then we have to probably beat either Portugal or Germany.

If that happens then there is no reason they couldn't beat Belgium as well.

But my argument is a moot point if they don't even beat Ghana tonight.

Vhailor
06-16-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm not disagreeing with any of you about our weaknesses.

All I'm saying is that in order for a U.S. Vs Belgium match to happen then we have to probably beat either Portugal or Germany.

If that happens then there is no reason they couldn't beat Belgium as well.

But my argument is a moot point if they don't even beat Ghana tonight.

Ghana is also a match-up that could be dangerous. Even in previous championships, they've played with ferocity and passion. I guess I'm kind of perplexed they only carry three strikers, but I have no idea what kind of formation they play.

CanDB
06-16-2014, 12:31 PM
I like soccer but there are a few things that still tick me off about the game, and it has reared it's ugly head already in this event.

1) Marginal penalties that turn into penalty kicks, which is basically like giving a team a goal. And in a game that usually has few scores, one freebie is significant.
2) The penalty kick......I've always felt like it should be moved back at least one yard. That would make a difference, but would still benefit the kicker. I'd be cool with that. Move it 2-3 yards and the odds start to shift dramatically.
3) All the childish faking of injury. They should call penalties for that, similar to diving penalties in hockey. Cmon guys, you are grown men!!!
4) FIFA in general. Not an organization one should try to model.

Vhailor
06-16-2014, 12:37 PM
I like soccer but there are a few things that still tick me off about the game, and it has reared it's ugly head already in this event.

1) Marginal penalties that turn into penalty kicks, which is basically like giving a team a goal. And in a game that usually has few scores, one freebie is significant.
2) The penalty kick......I've always felt like it should be moved back at least one yard. That would make a difference, but would still benefit the kicker. I'd be cool with that. Move it 2-3 yards and the odds start to shift dramatically.
3) All the childish faking of injury. They should call penalties for that, similar to diving penalties in hockey. Cmon guys, you are grown men!!!

1. This is part of the game. Sometimes neither the referee or the side referees can get a good look at what happees and things tend to happen very, very fast. It is what it is. Human error is part of the game and everyone tries to get an advantage. Sometimes the referees get it wrong.
2. It's fine where it is. What's your reasoning for moving it back? The goalie is supposed to stand at the goal line in any case, not sure why moving it back would be beneficial for the kicker.
3. This is penalized all the time in the leagues I watch; more judiciously and vigorously in some than others, but it's still there. Still a problem though, this shouldn't be happening at all and I find Arjen Robben to be the worst of them all.

bronx_2003
06-16-2014, 12:39 PM
My thoughts so far -

Brazil look average. Home field will only take them so far and I don't think they have the players to beat the top teams.

Argentina are good but top heavy. Great going forward but very suspect at the back.

The top teams IMO are Germany, Spain and Holland. Holland with Robben and Van Persie are very dangerous. I think Spain will still go a long way. They had a good first half but gave some sloppy goals away and it sort of escalated from there. One game doesn't make them bad, they lost their first game in the last WC to Switzerland and won it.

The worst team I have seen is Cameroon, just terrible. Greece are a close second

Regarding England it was refreshing to watch some good attacking football with pace in the team, after the boring teams of Erickson and Capello. I thought we were better then Italy but a bit wasteful. Confident we qualify in second.

Belgium seem to be really under-rated on these boards. I'm not sure if its because Americans don't see the premiership as much as Europe might but they are really fancied over here as a top 6/7 team and a dark horse for the WC. They have some top premiership players.

I don't know much about the States but second is up for grabs behind Germany and it should be a good game later. That result earlier helped you guys massively because it killed Portugal's goal difference

CanDB
06-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Some views on this tournament.

- Apparently Spain isn't who we thought they were.
- Brazil is an elite team and may be helped along by the refs.....given the circumstances of this event.
- Germany will be tough, but after watching parts of today's Portugal game, I am hoping Germany gets knocked out. They got some favours today.
- I have Italian roots, and hardly ever count Italy out, even if I am biased!:D
- The Dutch sure had a fabulous start! They've had a good history in this sport.
- Of course, being a canuck I am 100% behind Canada..........wait a minute.:confused:

Vhailor
06-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Belgium seem to be really under-rated on these boards. I'm not sure if its because Americans don't see the premiership as much as Europe might but they are really fancied over here as a top 6/7 team and a dark horse for the WC. They have some top premiership players. This. So many Belgian players are being overlooked here, but when you take a look at how many Belgian players are getting regular time on the pitch for plenty of top-flight European clubs...

In any case, Pepe won't play against the USA after that bone-headed move he did. I'm sure he is a great guy outside of the pitch, but on it? The dude's a baboon. Can't control himself.

bronx_2003
06-16-2014, 12:53 PM
This. So many Belgian players are being overlooked here, but when you take a look at how many Belgian players are getting regular time on the pitch for plenty of top-flight European clubs...

In any case, Pepe won't play against the USA after that bone-headed move he did. I'm sure he is a great guy outside of the pitch, but on it? The dude's a baboon. Can't control himself.

Pepe was stupid, although I didn't like Muller trying to cheat by rolling around holding his face.

Yep, Belgium have -

Mignolet in goal, a very good starter at Liverpool.

Kompany is one of the best center backs in the world. Vermaelen is very good at arsenal.

Hazard is a top premiership midfielder, Lukaku is a good striker at Everton (chelsea)

plus some really good youngsters that had pretty good seasons for top teams - De Bruyne / Januzaj

Fellani is a very good central midfielder but had a poor season at Man U

Vhailor
06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Definitely Vermaelen. Isn't he supposed to have agreed a contract offer from Man Utd?

InsaneBlaze23
06-16-2014, 01:02 PM
My post are over looked it seems.
I mentioned that Belgium is a good team people are over looking and that they are a dark horse whom have the potential to be in the final four but also have the potential to not make it out of the group stage. It isn't likely but it wouldn't surprise many if they didn't.

Again they and the US are a lot alike in that regard. Both teams have potential but both teams can fall flat.

As for the other topic, FIFA is considering having NFL like reviews and challenges.

Flopping isn't just a soccer thing, the NBA has a lot worst flopping. Frankly it is annoying. But everything is seen at a certain angle. If you're a ref and you see it from one angle and that angle looks like the player was hit or tripped, you call it.

bronx_2003
06-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Definitely Vermaelen. Isn't he supposed to have agreed a contract offer from Man Utd?

yep, I didn't know that but I just googled it and your right. Will work on personal terms with them after the wc

bronx_2003
06-16-2014, 01:09 PM
My post are over looked it seems.
I mentioned that Belgium is a good team people are over looking and that they are a dark horse whom have the potential to be in the final four but also have the potential to not make it out of the group stage. It isn't likely but it wouldn't surprise many if they didn't.

Again they and the US are a lot alike in that regard. Both teams have potential but both teams can fall flat.

As for the other topic, FIFA is considering having NFL like reviews and challenges.

Flopping isn't just a soccer thing, the NBA has a lot worst flopping. Frankly it is annoying. But everything is seen at a certain angle. If you're a ref and you see it from one angle and that angle looks like the player was hit or tripped, you call it.

It would be one of the shocks of the tournament, especially as their group is pretty poor. They will win it with ease imo

No disrespect to the USA but they are not on Belgium's level. If you look at the odds -

Belgium - 22/1 (to win wc) 1/6 (to qualify from group)

USA - 250/1 (to win wc) 11/4 (to qualify from group)

Sheabers
06-16-2014, 02:03 PM
I never said we could beat Germany or Portugal.

All I'm saying is that if by some chance we do there is no reason we couldn't beat Belgium too.

Unless you are implying that Belgium is tougher than Germany and then I will laugh at you and the fingers tio stops here. But my guess is you aren't implying that.

No I am not claiming the are tougher than the Germans, I reckon they are a better team than Portugal though, without Ronaldo Portugal are only decent in my opinion. They are a very strong squad. My original point was people having the USA as semi finalists, I think getting out this group alone should be classed as a massive achievement. If that happens then it's the Belgians, who are my dark horses for the whole tournament.

Good luck tonight though, a very tough test against arguably the strongest African team in the tournament. We will see what the US is made of tonight.

Sheabers
06-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Some views on this tournament.

- Apparently Spain isn't who we thought they were.
- Brazil is an elite team and may be helped along by the refs.....given the circumstances of this event.
- Germany will be tough, but after watching parts of today's Portugal game, I am hoping Germany gets knocked out. They got some favours today.
- I have Italian roots, and hardly ever count Italy out, even if I am biased!:D
- The Dutch sure had a fabulous start! They've had a good history in this sport.
- Of course, being a canuck I am 100% behind Canada..........wait a minute.:confused:

Spain are exactly what I expect, top teams that can defend have learned how to play this tiki taka rubbish that Spain and Barca like to play. You are correct in never counting the Italians out, many times people overlook them through historically being a defence first team. Thought against England Pirlo was class, really has aged like a fine wine. Although ironically I think they may have issues at the back, young Sterling was having a great time running at that defence as did the other young lad Barkley when he came on, if they don't learn to deal with people running at them they may struggle after getting out the group.

The Dutch surprised me with how good they were, their squad isn't as strong on paper as usual but their is quality throughout the squad and hopefully they can keep it up, always had a soft spot for the Oranje.

Canada? I like to see your youth teams do well due to a couple of my clubs players playing for them, same as a couple of our ex players play for the US so would actually like to see them do well also. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the tournament, that's what I am doing, unlike some of my fellow Scots who seem to be on edge until England are knocked out. :D

EvertonBroncos
06-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Pepe was stupid, although I didn't like Muller trying to cheat by rolling around holding his face.

Yep, Belgium have -

Mignolet in goal, a very good starter at Liverpool.

Kompany is one of the best center backs in the world. Vermaelen is very good at arsenal.

Hazard is a top premiership midfielder, Lukaku is a good striker at Everton (chelsea)

plus some really good youngsters that had pretty good seasons for top teams - De Bruyne / Januzaj

Fellani is a very good central midfielder but had a poor season at Man U

Mignolet won't start it'll be Courtois, also I think Mirallas deserves a mention over Fellaini. Always thought Fellaini was bang average for us most of the time. The fella we replaced him with, McCarthy, is twice the player in that position for me.

Sheabers
06-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Mignolet won't start it'll be Courtois, also I think Mirallas deserves a mention over Fellaini. Always thought Fellaini was bang average for us most of the time. The fella we replaced him with, McCarthy, is twice the player in that position for me.

McCarthy, great player but a traitor! Along with McGeady at Everton also, they are bloody Scottish and should play for Scotland, really hate the rules around which nationality you can claim to be. In saying that the amount of English lads we have had at Scotland is silly too, should be where you were born or where your parents were born.

InsaneBlaze23
06-16-2014, 05:08 PM
That was a sloppy game, got very very sloppy for the US by the end.
Big injuries but still pulled it off.

It's just one win, but it's a win that gives the team confidence. Win against Portugal, then the team gets some Swagger.

Sheabers
06-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Winning ugly, it's what winners do, well done 'Murica. And thanks for the £40, 2/1 odds seemed greatly over priced. However on that performance the 250/1 to win the tournament seems about right, Howard was on top form but that will not be good enough v Portugal. Best of luck anyway, is good to see Bedoya has come on as a player after Rangers didn't really give him a chance.

DenverBlood
06-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Winning ugly, it's what winners do, well done 'Murica. And thanks for the £40, 2/1 odds seemed greatly over priced. However on that performance the 250/1 to win the tournament seems about right, Howard was on top form but that will not be good enough v Portugal. Best of luck anyway, is good to see Bedoya has come on as a player after Rangers didn't really give him a chance.

Winners don't win ugly? So where does that Leave Spain from 2010 who didn't even win their first game?

broncoslover115
06-17-2014, 04:23 AM
Congrats USA!!!

Vhailor
06-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Congrats Belgium for turning 0-1 into 2-1!

DenverBlood
06-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Congrats Belgium for turning 0-1 into 2-1!

Yeah it wasn't pretty but a win is a win.

I'm not scared of them though.

EvertonBroncos
06-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Belgium are a team full of supremely talented players who can't seem to gel as a team.

Vhailor
06-18-2014, 06:26 AM
Belgium are a team full of supremely talented players who can't seem to gel as a team.Don't they all come from different parts of the country as well? I know the northern part of Belgium is primarily Dutch-speaking while the poorer south is French-speaking.

HurricaneDovs
06-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Australia was scrappy today. Really puts it on Spain though. I would think even a draw would hurt them. They've really gotta have this one.

InsaneBlaze23
06-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Diego Costa probably leaves the stadium wearing a bulletproof vest. Brasil really really really hates him.

InsaneBlaze23
06-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Australia was scrappy today. Really puts it on Spain though. I would think even a draw would hurt them. They've really gotta have this one.

Spain has to win or they're eliminated.

HurricaneDovs
06-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Spain has to win or they're eliminated.

Not looking good so far. Chile up already.

Vhailor
06-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Not looking good so far. Chile up already.It would be ironic if Spain lost to Chile, considering how Chile are such massive underdogs.

InsaneBlaze23
06-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Again I refer to one of my early post. I said Chile is a good team that can make it out of this group. They're biggest flaw is/was how reckless they play. So far during this Cup, they haven't been so reckless and Alexi is really helping them out.

Vhailor
06-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Again I refer to one of my early post. I said Chile is a good team that can make it out of this group. They're biggest flaw is/was how reckless they play. So far during this Cup, they haven't been so reckless and Alexi is really helping them out.A good team doesn't necessarily equate to beating the reigning world champs with the likes of Casillas, Ramos, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta and company. I am very impressed by Chile by sticking it to them.

HurricaneDovs
06-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Keeper shouldve just caught the ball. Really dumb to punch that back into play.

InsaneBlaze23
06-18-2014, 01:13 PM
A good team doesn't necessarily equate to beating the reigning world champs with the likes of Casillas, Ramos, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta and company. I am very impressed by Chile by sticking it to them.

Each player you named are up there in age, both Chile and Netherlands have something Spain don't....speed and youth.
4yrs can change a lot about a team.

bronx_2003
06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Spain lack pace and its showing up big time in this game

InsaneBlaze23
06-18-2014, 01:27 PM
I think the crowd is what's getting to Diego Costa. He's distracted. He's the most hated man in the world cup, gotta imagine it's going through his head.

CanDB
06-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Goodbye Spain.....you sure did have a great run at the top! Big changes will likely follow.

InsaneBlaze23
06-18-2014, 04:41 PM
They'll be adding younger players most likely, players with some speed. They also have the same probably that Barcelona has. A back field that can't keep up.

EvertonBroncos
06-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Gerard Deulofeu, who spent the last season on loan at Everton, is Spain's answer going forward.

Vhailor
06-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Spain lack pace and its showing up big time in this game

Definite truth. They don't run nearly as much as they did just a few years ago.

CanDB
06-19-2014, 12:10 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens to world rankings after this event. No doubt Spain will fall.....then again, I am not sure how many points swing in soccer. Here's the current top 10:

1) Spain - 1485
2) Germany - 1300
3) Brazil - 1242
4) Portugal - 1189
5) Argentina - 1175
6) Switzerland - 1149
7) Uruguay - 1147
8) Columbia - 1137
9) Italy - 1104
10) England - 1090

Based on what I would suspect, either of Germany or Brazil will be #1 after this championship. I expect at least one of them to go pretty far.

InsaneBlaze23
06-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah there will be a shake up in the rankings. Especially if US beats Portugal. Portugal could fall out of the top 10. Same with England. I'd say if Brasil or Germany wins the cup, they'll be number 1.

100%Broncoholic
06-20-2014, 04:02 AM
Top Goalkeepers in this tournament with a lack of great goalkeeping form:

1. Ochoa
2. Nevas
3. Bravo
4. Cesar
5. Howard

I'd also put Eneyema (Nigerian keeper) and Haghihi (Iranian keeper) in the top of the tourney. Plus Muslera with his performance vs England.

We haven't seen much of Lloris, Neuer, but they will make a difference to round out the top 10 keepers.

The goalkeeping in this tournament has seen some major gaffes, none worse than Akinfeev's to cost Russia 3 points.

The form is atrocious right now as we see the goalkeepers not staying big and sliding into second base an awful lot. I hope that as we advance through we will see a change in the form, and Ill post another updated goalkeeper list after all the round two matches.

Vhailor
06-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Let it be known - I am an anglophile. Love Premier League football and have been a Liverpool-fan for a number of years thanks to my dad. For as much as I like Three Lions and wish them well, every damn tournament offers disappointment. Every. Single. One.

Against Uruguay, they were beyond lackluster. No heart, no passion, no spirit, mistake after mistake. And I have zero explanation for it. Fatigue from a brutal club schedule? Club rivalries so bitter that the national team cannot gel?

Vhailor
06-20-2014, 06:38 AM
Goodbye Spain.....you sure did have a great run at the top! Big changes will likely follow.

Absolutely. Count Xavi, David Villa and Casillas out.

EvertonBroncos
06-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Let it be known - I am an anglophile. Love Premier League football and have been a Liverpool-fan for a number of years thanks to my dad. For as much as I like Three Lions and wish them well, every damn tournament offers disappointment. Every. Single. One.

Against Uruguay, they were beyond lackluster. No heart, no passion, no spirit, mistake after mistake. And I have zero explanation for it. Fatigue from a brutal club schedule? Club rivalries so bitter that the national team cannot gel?

I blame the manager. A plethora of young talent, Sterling, Sturridge, Barkley etc. Yet he deploys his team to play the most bland, uninspiring, old-fashioned brand of football imaginable. Oxlade Chamberlain was a huge miss, but we had more than enough talent to come in in his place.

bronx_2003
06-20-2014, 02:25 PM
England lack any star players, we have some good young talent but no stars. Uruguay are a pretty average team but have Suarez, who won them the game.

There are no excuses, This group is weak and whoever comes out of it won't be in the tournament long.

England need to produce better players, but the premier league makes it almost impossible to do that. Its all about money and foreigners.

Chris Waddle summed it up best - "The Premier League is a great advert for our football but it does our national team no good whatsoever."

InsaneBlaze23
06-20-2014, 04:29 PM
The top teams that have lost all lack what the winning teams have. In that's a young scorer.
Brasil has Neymar.
US has Jozy and Clint(both are getting up there in age, but can still score)
Chile has Alexi Sanchez
Uruguay has Luis Suarez
Argentine has Messi
Croatia has Mario Mandzukic
The Dutch have van Persie

And so on.

Spain and England lack fast players and scorers.

InsaneBlaze23
06-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Gerard Deulofeu, who spent the last season on loan at Everton, is Spain's answer going forward.
They really need to force on their young talent and get those guys on the practice field as soon as possible to build chemistry.

Too add with Gerard Deulofeu, Marc Bartra is looking like a faster version of Xavi. There is also Cristian Tello, whom is pretty good. Everton is working on a season long loan for him from Barca.
Martín Montoya is another young player who could help them out. And these are just players from the Barcelona camp. I'm sure Real and Atletico also have young players who'd really help the team.

Also they need to use Pedro better.

Absolutely. Count Xavi, David Villa and Casillas out.

I think Villa will try to hang around.
Xavi is pretty close to retirement, I recall him saying he'd only play another 2-3 years if even that. But doubt he'll be on the national team even if he stays around for 2 more years.

Can add Iniesta to the group who needs to hang it up.

DenverBlood
06-20-2014, 08:56 PM
The top teams that have lost all lack what the winning teams have. In that's a young scorer.
Brasil has Neymar.
Chile has Alexi Sanchez
Uruguay has Luis Suarez
Argentine has Messi

And so on.

Uh Altidore is only 24. But injured so he isn't a help for this World Cup.

InsaneBlaze23
06-20-2014, 10:04 PM

Thought he was 27. His injury isn't severe, if the US wins on Sunday, he could play in the round of 16.

100%Broncoholic
06-21-2014, 03:53 AM
Thought he was 27. His injury isn't severe, if the US wins on Sunday, he could play in the round of 16.

Brasil has Neymar.
Chile has Alexi Sanchez
Uruguay has Luis Suarez
Argentine has Messi

And so on.

Jozy is only 24.

http://www.espnfc.com/player/75589/jozy-altidore?season=2013

InsaneBlaze23
06-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Jozy is only 24.

http://www.espnfc.com/player/75589/jozy-altidore?season=2013

I know now. I wasn't debating if he is or isn't 24, just saying I thought he was 27.

Xabi Alonso said he's done with international futbol.

JT24Champ
06-21-2014, 09:24 AM
They really need to force on their young talent and get those guys on the practice field as soon as possible to build chemistry.

Too add with Gerard Deulofeu, Marc Bartra is looking like a faster version of Xavi. There is also Cristian Tello, whom is pretty good. Everton is working on a season long loan for him from Barca.
Martín Montoya is another young player who could help them out. And these are just players from the Barcelona camp. I'm sure Real and Atletico also have young players who'd really help the team.

Xavi is pretty close to retirement, I recall him saying he'd only play another 2-3 years if even that. But doubt he'll be on the national team even if he stays around for 2 more years.

villa said this is his last world cup. said it after club season ended

InsaneBlaze23
06-21-2014, 09:53 AM
villa said this is his last world cup. said it after club season ended

I guess New York really is his last stop.

Bronco51
06-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Messi is a boss!

EvertonBroncos
06-21-2014, 11:00 AM
I guess New York really is his last stop.

He's effectively playing for Man City. So... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

100%Broncoholic
06-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Haghighi and Romero put on a goalkeeping show tonight, but Romero gets the shutout and win, Haghighi gets maybe a look by a bigger club...

InsaneBlaze23
06-21-2014, 11:39 AM
He's effectively playing for Man City. So... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He's on loan to Melbourne for 8 months at least before playing the the new New York MLS team.

EvertonBroncos
06-21-2014, 12:08 PM
He's on loan to Melbourne for 8 months at least before playing the the new New York MLS team.

I know but both teams are owned by City, so they're the ones who are bankrolling him playing at such a low level for Melbourne, quite sickening lack of ambition really but money talks.

100%Broncoholic
06-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Ghana is not backing down, forcing Neuer to make a big save, also interesting comment, Ghana's coach changed his goalkeepers for size... The keeper in goal today is 3 inches shorter than normal starter...

HurricaneDovs
06-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Heck of a response by Ghana.

EvertonBroncos
06-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Miroslav Klose equals Ronaldo's record. Incredible.

HurricaneDovs
06-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Win tomorrow and we're in. Lets go guys.

thundercty
06-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Wow what a game between GER & GHA or as Twitter prefers "GERGHA" lol. The draw puts the U.S Men's Team in a perfect spot, let's do this boys!!

'MERICA!

:usa:

NFL Network is showing "The Drive" which is quite entertaining! :laugh:

100%Broncoholic
06-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Officials cost Bosnia H. the win vs Nigeria. That was not an offside, the AR even followed the play and violated mechanics, had he held his ground, he could have sold it, but how he ran with it, yeah that's not good. Great match, and great goalkeeping today!

Sheabers
06-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Not been on last few days, but few things.

Winners don't win ugly? So where does that Leave Spain from 2010 who didn't even win their first game?

I think you misread my post, I said winning ugly, it's what winners do.

Belgium are a team full of supremely talented players who can't seem to gel as a team.

They manager seemed to just pick the 11 best players and put them out, a problem I feel England suffer from also.

Must admit to having a feeling of what if with this world cup, lately Scotland have beat Croatia home and away in competitive games, drew with the USA (Although both teams were missing some bigger teams) gave England a scare at Wembley, a game I feel is great for both teams, beats meaningless friendlies, drew with Nigeria in their world cup preparations in a game we should have won. We might not have disgraced ourselves entirely at this tournament.

Anyway good luck to the Americans today, should be a close one but must watch Portugal on the counter. I love how it seems that this sport seems to be taking off across the pond, seems that way from here anyway.

100%Broncoholic
06-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Russian team is not slowing down and are full of tempo today versus the Belgians! Surprising how much they are going after them.

DenverBlood
06-22-2014, 10:30 AM
They haven't lost yet this tourney but I'll say it again this Belgium team doesn't scare me one bit.

Also Shebears I didn't misread your post. It just wasn't clear what you meant. Hence why I put question marks and not blanket statements.

Now I know what you meant.

Sheabers
06-22-2014, 01:02 PM

They haven't lost yet this tourney but I'll say it again this Belgium team doesn't scare me one bit.

Also Shebears I didn't misread your post. It just wasn't clear what you meant. Hence why I put question marks and not blanket statements.

Now I know what you meant.

Thats fine, think you lot might struggle tonight, however my predictions have been horrible for second round of games, after a great start. Nearly all the profit made in the first set of fixtures has gone :sad:

broncoslover115
06-22-2014, 03:14 PM
USA off to a bad start. Come on guys!!

Sheabers
06-22-2014, 03:56 PM
I feel USA are playing better football than the last game here, however Ronaldo is beginning to see the ball now and is beginning to cause problems. To me the USA are very stereotypical, all well trained, all great at there job but with no one that is that little bit special.

Also I feel you got away with one with Beckerman being a little bit naughty :D

EvertonBroncos
06-22-2014, 04:42 PM
What a turnaround!

DenverBlood
06-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Absolutely pathetic excuse for defense USA

DenverBlood
06-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Also I'm sick of refs awarding five minutes of stoppage everytime we are ahead. Three times out of four halves. I don't think there have been five minutes of stoppage three times in all the rest of the games combined.

Bronco51
06-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Bradley let them down the last 2 minutes. Had a few chances to possess the ball but loafed around. Especially on the equalizer for Portugal.

Sheabers
06-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Unlucky boys, see that someone I was someone that is a wee bit special I feel the USA miss, look at the cross for Portugal's equaliser. Felt sorry for Ronaldo a bit must be so frustrating to be arguably the best player in the world surrounded by clueless idiots :D

Against Germany you need to learn from mistakes, USA sat in after taking the lead against Ghana, they eventually punished you, although you got the quick fire reply to regain the lead. Against Portugal after going level you sat in again, if the rest of Portuguese was on the same book never mind page as CR they may have punished you earlier, you got the goal and sat in further eventually Portugal got there goal.

The Germans will punish you if you sit so deep, you need to keep it tight but press higher up dont invite them on to you and you should progress from the group.

InsaneBlaze23
06-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Yea there was a lot of silliness going on in this game. Either way, it just means the US have to get into the next round the hard way. A draw isn't a loss, so no reason to be upset with it. On to Germany.

Meanwhile Klingsman is saying the US is giving a unfair situation and that the favorites are catered.
Win or draw vs the Germans, the US gets in.

Broncoholic JS
06-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Why does it seem like the soccer gods hate the USA?

I mean, really?

Sheabers
06-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Also I'm sick of refs awarding five minutes of stoppage everytime we are ahead. Three times out of four halves. I don't think there have been five minutes of stoppage three times in all the rest of the games combined.

There has been loads of games with 5 mins, the norm nowadays seems to be 4, think they seem to be adding time on for the water breaks. Also neither team can really moan about the officials today, both teams got breaks, USA conceded primarily because they sat so deep trying to defend the lead, inviting Portugal on to them, when Portugal have a man like their number 7 thats a very dangerous game.

broncoslover115
06-22-2014, 05:08 PM
I don't know soccer very well but it felt to me that once USA scored the 2nd goal it felt like they stopped being aggressive, couldn't hold onto the ball and seemed almost to let up. Sort of like the prevent defense that I'm not such a fan of. Oh well. Kind of a heart breaker. Darn!

DenverBlood
06-22-2014, 05:20 PM
There has been loads of games with 5 mins, the norm nowadays seems to be 4, think they seem to be adding time on for the water breaks. Also neither team can really moan about the officials today, both teams got breaks, USA conceded primarily because they sat so deep trying to defend the lead, inviting Portugal on to them, when Portugal have a man like their number 7 thats a very dangerous game.

I'm not complaining about the officials. We cost ourselves with absolutely lazy defense and midfield play on the final possession.

But in three halves that the USA have led stoppage was 5 minutes. In the only half they trailed it was two.

And I've been paying close attention to stoppage. There have not been a load of them this tournament. I'm not saying none others. Just not many. Even four minutes would've resulted in a USA win today.

Also don't agree with your opinion about feeling sorry for Ronaldo. Sure he is the most talented. But his own laziness is why the USA had so many breaks and why he got called for offsides so many times on good opportunities. Offsides that weren't even close.

He may be talented but he is damn lazy.

Sheabers
06-22-2014, 05:20 PM
I don't know soccer very well but it felt to me that once USA scored the 2nd goal it felt like they stopped being aggressive, couldn't hold onto the ball and seemed almost to let up. Sort of like the prevent defense that I'm not such a fan of. Oh well. Kind of a heart breaker. Darn!

Actually a good way of putting it, as I said USA seemed to get deeper and deeper, a bit like when the secondary gets deep late in a game to make sure it doesn't give up the long pass. Dangerous against a team with Ronaldo in it, even if the rest of his teammates seem to not notice his runs into dangerous positions. Against Germany the USA can not play like that, Germany are a very good team that will punish this.

Sheabers
06-22-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm not complaining about the officials. We cost ourselves with absolutely lazy defense and midfield play on the final possession.

But in three halves that the USA have led stoppage was 5 minutes. In the only half they trailed it was two.

And I've been paying close attention to stoppage. There have not been a load of them this tournament. I'm not saying none others. Just not many. Even four minutes would've resulted in a USA win today.

Also don't agree with your opinion about feeling sorry for Ronaldo. Sure he is the most talented. But his own laziness is why the USA had so many breaks and why he got called for offsides so many times on good opportunities. Offsides that weren't even close.

He may be talented but he is damn lazy.

I know he comes across like that, but many of that offsides are his players not switched on to his runs quick enough, his only fault to me is his unwillingness to track back, unsure if it is what he is told to do with Portugal or not but he seems to do a bit more defensive work with Madrid. He seemed to play more in the middle today, where at Madrid he plays on thee left mainly, prefer him on the left far more room for him to work with.

However if you watch him he does do a lot of work of the ball, his runs drag players out off positions, constantly opening up options for the man on the ball, shame with Portugal none of them seem to be able to find him. On the ball is where he shows his class, a few things maybe didn't go his way, but his awareness of what is around him is amazing, helps that he seems to be able to constantly looking around him, looking for a pass or a space to run into, knowing at all times where the ball is without hardly ever looking at it.

Broncoholic JS
06-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Anyone else think we get hosed in the Germany game amidst some "fixing" or "help"?

DenverBlood
06-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Anyone else think we get hosed in the Germany game amidst some "fixing" or "help"?

Nah any fixing would've been done today against Portugal. Portugal is supposed to be the other team out of the group of death.

Right now they are still in last and 5 goals behind the US in differential.

So unless Germany smoked us 6-0 which is possible then I don't think so. And they could probably do that even without fixing. As they already beat Portugal 4-0.

Ghana is actually closer to us than Portugal and gave Germany a scare.

Best thing for us is a Ghana Portugal tie.

Sheabers
06-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Nah any fixing would've been done today against Portugal. Portugal is supposed to be the other team out of the group of death.

Right now they are still in last and 5 goals behind the US in differential.

So unless Germany smoked us 6-0 which is possible then I don't think so. And they could probably do that even without fixing. As they already beat Portugal 4-0.

Ghana is actually closer to us than Portugal and gave Germany a scare.

Best thing for us is a Ghana Portugal tie.

They only really need to beat you 3-0 though, as then if Portugal win 2-0 then it is pretty much picking a name out the hat to go through. Both them scores are not out there really, what doesn't help is Germany have not yet qualified you could have been doing with Germany beating Ghana and maybe resting a couple of players. Ghana winning is what you should be worried about happening though.

DenverBlood
06-22-2014, 06:15 PM
It's been confirmed that the refs changed stoppage from 4 minutes to 5 based on Suzi's lazy attempt to get off the field.

So I stand corrected. We completely have nothing to blame but ourselves.

DenverBlood
06-22-2014, 06:17 PM
They only really need to beat you 3-0 though, as then if Portugal win 2-0 then it is pretty much picking a name out the hat to go through. Both them scores are not out there really, what doesn't help is Germany have not yet qualified you could have been doing with Germany beating Ghana and maybe resting a couple of players. Ghana winning is what you should be worried about happening though.

Trust me I know. Despite the goal differential over Portugal I really don't feel in the drivers seat.

However I think the U.S. And Ghana proved in the second round of games that it's completely possible for the U.S. to keep it close with Germany.

There have been tons of upsets and close calls against world powers this tourney. No reason why the U.S. cant pull another.

But like you said I'm almost more worried of Ghana than Portugal. Best scenario for U.S. Is for that game to tie.

CanDB
06-22-2014, 07:57 PM
I am guessing that Rinaldo was taking it easy because of the injury. And even though he had a marginal game, he was definitely a factor, given he probably scores the majority of the time on that shot he hit wide, and "that pass" was incredible! I know he was the enemy but it seems unwise for all the booing he got, given his status as the best player on the planet (though Messi is just behind him). His skills are special.

I am not taking away from the USA's play, but this was not a prime Portugal team.

InsaneBlaze23
06-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Behind Messi? Messi is better than Ronaldo. Its argueable that Luis is also better.

CanDB
06-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Behind Messi? Messi is better than Ronaldo. Its argueable that Luis is also better.

I was simply referring to the fact he is the current Player Of The Year. I know that does not summarize their careers, for which Messi has been better.

Regardless, my post doesn't change. He is the current player of the year, and he made a big impact in the US game, even though he could have done more, like scoring on one of his breaks.

DenverBlood
06-23-2014, 04:54 AM
I was simply referring to the fact he is the current Player Of The Year. I know that does not summarize their careers, for which Messi has been better.

Regardless, my post doesn't change. He is the current player of the year, and he made a big impact in the US game, even though he could have done more, like scoring on one of his breaks.

I would argue his impact in the game and the tourney was very minimal until that final play. Which was largely a result of laziness by the U.S. defense.

Vhailor
06-23-2014, 06:12 AM

Did Iker Muniain play in the WC?

Vhailor
06-23-2014, 06:17 AM
Anyone else think we get hosed in the Germany game amidst some "fixing" or "help"?*sigh* No. If Germany beats the US, it'll be because they're a far superior team.

Vhailor
06-23-2014, 06:20 AM
I am guessing that Rinaldo was taking it easy because of the injury. And even though he had a marginal game, he was definitely a factor, given he probably scores the majority of the time on that shot he hit wide, and "that pass" was incredible! I know he was the enemy but it seems unwise for all the booing he got, given his status as the best player on the planet (though Messi is just behind him). His skills are special.

I am not taking away from the USA's play, but this was not a prime Portugal team.

Ronaldo carries the weight of the dreams and hopes of all of Portugal. Messi does the same for Argentina and Neymar for Brazil. It's a huge weight, immense pressure.

bronx_2003
06-23-2014, 07:56 AM
The Ronaldo v Messi argument is like the Manning Brady one.

People could argue all day and there's no right/wrong answer

broncoslover115
06-23-2014, 09:02 AM
The only thing that game reminded me of was the Broncos Ravens game. Thirty seconds left....and boom. Instant freaking heartache.

DenverBlood
06-23-2014, 09:25 AM
The only thing that game reminded me of was the Broncos Ravens game. Thirty seconds left....and boom. Instant freaking heartache.

The good news is we didn't lose the game and are still alive. If only the Broncos had been given another day.

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Did Iker Muniain play in the WC?

Nope. He really has only played in the under leagues(Spain Under 23 and younger teams)
But i do think he's on the list of players who are a shoe in for young players being added to the team.

broncoslover115
06-23-2014, 09:42 AM
The good news is we didn't lose the game and are still alive. If only the Broncos had been given another day.

Yup, the USA lives to breathe another day. Go USA!

I never thought I'd like soccer but it's really a fun game. A little slow but I like that the clock doesn't stop so it doesn't drag out for hours and the best thing....no commercials. :laugh:

CanDB
06-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Ronaldo carries the weight of the dreams and hopes of all of Portugal. Messi does the same for Argentina and Neymar for Brazil. It's a huge weight, immense pressure.

That is in fact immense pressure! Your country is counting on YOU. It's not like a balanced team, where there are no super stars, and the pressure is more equally divided. But great players make great plays, and Ronaldo's timely, spectacular pass was just that, a great play!

CanDB
06-23-2014, 10:30 AM

I really hope that "fixing" is all about silly rumours and nothing else, otherwise both teams should be ashamed. But I see it different....Germany is one of the two or three teams in major contention, and should expect to play to win, and with some dominance. The US on the other hand, should be trying to sink one of the main contenders, and based on what I can gather, can "earn" a tie, the right way, by playing their best game.

CanDB
06-23-2014, 10:34 AM

No doubt.....and one more time, my reference to Ronaldo being the best player (of the year) wasn't to deny that Messi is the best of them all, but to make a different point.....that I believe Ronaldo is hurting and therefore taking breaks, and that it is a shame that players of his caliber get booed loudly. Finally, even though he did not play that well, and it may be because of his injury, he still found a way to change the outcome of the game and possibly the tournament, in the case of those two teams at least.

Sheabers
06-23-2014, 11:00 AM

This is the correct answer, for me it is Ronaldo, love watching him play and for all the stick he gets for being greedy if you watch him he is always looking around for the option with hardly ever glancing to see where the ball is.

Over the last 18 months there is no question who has been better however Ronaldo all day long.

Sheabers
06-23-2014, 11:03 AM
No doubt.....and one more time, my reference to Rinaldo being the best player (of the year) wasn't to deny that Messi is the best of them all, but to make a different point.....that I believe Rinaldo is hurting and therefore taking breaks, and that it is a shame that players of his caliber get booed loudly. Finally, even though he did not play that well, and it may be because of his injury, he still found a way to change the outcome of the game and possibly the tournament, in the case of those two teams at least.

If you get the chance to watch the game again watch the movement of Ronaldo off the ball, had he had a couple of teammates with the vision or knew his game as well as his Real Madrid teammates it could have been costly, with Portugal they don't seem to recognise the runs he makes into dangerous positions. On the ball he was class last night IMO, barring a few snatched chances.

CanDB
06-23-2014, 11:39 AM
If you get the chance to watch the game again watch the movement of Ronaldo off the ball, had he had a couple of teammates with the vision or knew his game as well as his Real Madrid teammates it could have been costly, with Portugal they don't seem to recognise the runs he makes into dangerous positions. On the ball he was class last night IMO, barring a few snatched chances.

I believe you got it right! He is the captain and seems to be positioning players all the time. It just seems that this Portugal team is weaker than usual, and that makes it hard for one or even two players to shine. On strong teams that have multiple top tier players, individuals benefit from the talent around them. I always say that it's easy to play on a stacked team, because your opportunities are more frequent, and the overall play of your mates is so good. Whereas a star on a weaker team can be isolated and blanketed, and can not expect his mates to makes things happen.

(I can't believe I was spelling Ronaldo with an "i" in some previous posts!!!)

Further......boy The Netherlands are looking good!! Chile's not too shabby either. Those next rounds are going to be electric!

Vhailor
06-23-2014, 12:31 PM
The problem with Ronaldo is that he walks a fine line between a winning confidence and destructive arrogance. Both Ronaldo and Messi are exempted from defensive runs and the US and Germany, against Portugal, looked good when exploiting that space. In that regard, it is expected Ronaldo make up for that lack of defensive runs by producing magic on offense.

What I've seen is a player who runs little but gesticulates a lot. This is a bad combination. Very few players wear their hearts on their sleeves as Cristiano Ronaldo does and no one expresses more emotion to his surroundings than Ronaldo, with looks that kill, words that burn and arms that mark how unlucky he is who has team mates that do not understand his genius every time he does not get the ball exactly where and when he wants it.

When things go well for Portugal, I think this attitude and behavior by Ronaldo is accepted by most. Let's face it, it was Ronaldo who just about ran and shot Portugal to the World Cup in the qualifying matches against Sweden. I have no idea what Varela, Nani and Eder and the rest felt when they played with and for a disappointed and exasperated captain yesterday.

I feel as if you have to judge a player based on two things:

1. How good is he compared to everybody else?
2. How close is he to be the best player he can be?

I think the answer might be that he is still much better than many other players in this tournament, but that he has been far from the best player he can be.

In that case, he should be applauded for how good he is, and criticized for his recent performances.

bronx_2003
06-23-2014, 12:57 PM
This is the correct answer, for me it is Ronaldo, love watching him play and for all the stick he gets for being greedy if you watch him he is always looking around for the option with hardly ever glancing to see where the ball is.

Over the last 18 months there is no question who has been better however Ronaldo all day long.

I agree, I would go Ronaldo as well

bronx_2003
06-23-2014, 12:59 PM
The problem with Ronaldo is that he walks a fine line between a winning confidence and destructive arrogance. Both Ronaldo and Messi are exempted from defensive runs and the US and Germany, against Portugal, looked good when exploiting that space. In that regard, it is expected Ronaldo make up for that lack of defensive runs by producing magic on offense.

What I've seen is a player who runs little but gesticulates a lot. This is a bad combination. Very few players wear their hearts on their sleeves as Cristiano Ronaldo does and no one expresses more emotion to his surroundings than Ronaldo, with looks that kill, words that burn and arms that mark how unlucky he is who has team mates that do not understand his genius every time he does not get the ball exactly where and when he wants it.

When things go well for Portugal, I think this attitude and behavior by Ronaldo is accepted by most. Let's face it, it was Ronaldo who just about ran and shot Portugal to the World Cup in the qualifying matches against Sweden. I have no idea what Varela, Nani and Eder and the rest felt when they played with and for a disappointed and exasperated captain yesterday.

I feel as if you have to judge a player based on two things:

1. How good is he compared to everybody else?
2. How close is he to be the best player he can be?

I think the answer might be that he is still much better than many other players in this tournament, but that he has been far from the best player he can be.

In that case, he should be applauded for how good he is, and criticized for his recent performances.

I don't think he's properly fit, he has played a huge amount of games this season in all competitions and has had a few injuries lately. He looks like someone who needs a rest

The Europeans are coming of a huge amount of games after a long season and its a big disadvantage imo

Sheabers
06-23-2014, 01:08 PM

He is very arrogant, he as every right to be, the man is pure class on and off the field. Lately a charity asked him if he could sign a top for an auction to raise money for a young fans operation, he decided to pay for the operation instead. Last night you may have seen the silly zigzag cut into his hair, that was to match the young lads scars.

This is a weird group for me though, as I like Germany as a football team, love watching Ronnie and enjoyed watching Ghana in both their games, then with the USA, I have similar feelings watching you than watching England although not as strong, that is I want to see you do well, for different reasons, as long as you don't win it

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 01:29 PM
I don't deny his abilities, I just don't think he is better than Messi, hell I don't think he is even better than Luis. And I'd wager, Neymar will end his career better than Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a cry baby and pansy. He is seemingly always whinning.

He is best when he's laying on the ground.
http://www.brianphickey.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2011-05-03-alves-ronaldo1.jpg

EvertonBroncos
06-23-2014, 01:53 PM
I don't deny his abilities, I just don't think he is better than Messi, hell I don't think he is even better than Luis. And I'd wager, Neymar will end his career better than Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a cry baby and pansy. He is seemingly always whinning.

http://www.brianphickey.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2011-05-03-alves-ronaldo1.jpg

Ronaldo is like braveheart compared to Suarez. Not just because I'm an Everton fan, Suarez is an absolute disgrace to football.

Amari24
06-23-2014, 01:58 PM

I think Messi and Suarez are both better than Ronaldo. Suarez actually should've won the Ballon d'Or IMO, but the vilification overshadowed his amazing year.

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Ronaldo is like braveheart compared to Suarez. Not just because I'm an Everton fan, Suarez is an absolute disgrace to football.

I'll take disrespectful clown over a whiny pansy.

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 02:03 PM
I think Messi and Suarez are both better than Ronaldo. Suarez actually should've won the Ballon d'Or IMO, but the vilification overshadowed his amazing year.

No doubt he needs to act better. He is a pretty disrespectful player. Messi missing a good portion of the first half of the season stopped him from winning the Ballon. And as you said, the way Luis acts overshadowed his season.

Rumor has it Luis is actually headed to Barcelona. But it's just rumors, nothing confirmed of denied by either Camp Nou or Suarez.

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Fred scores finally.
Unsung hero of Confederations Cup.

EvertonBroncos
06-23-2014, 02:29 PM
I'll take disrespectful clown over a whiny pansy.

Suarez is the worst for whining and feigning injury.

http://www.theliverpoolword.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/luis-suarez-liverpool-diving.jpg
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02166/luis-suarez_2166901c.jpg
http://f3.thejournal.ie/media/2014/02/soccer-fa-cup-fifth-round-arsenal-v-liverpool-emirates-stadium-3-390x285.jpg
http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01391/luissuarez_1391649a.jpg

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 02:33 PM

http://www.theliverpoolword.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/luis-suarez-liverpool-diving.jpg
http://f3.thejournal.ie/media/2014/02/soccer-fa-cup-fifth-round-arsenal-v-liverpool-emirates-stadium-3-390x285.jpg

I wouldn't say he's the worst. He does do it a lot, but not the worst.
Funny moment during the US game, one of the commentators mentioned Ronaldo being known for his pouting. He's like Tom Brady but without the filled trophy case. He's like Sidney Crosby at the beginning of his career.

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Round 2 will have Brasil vs Chile and The Dutch vs Mexico.

CanDB
06-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Round 2 will have Brasil vs Chile and The Dutch vs Mexico.

Just going to post this. Brazil is in tough. Chile plays a very nice game, and if they get the first goal, who knows!! Can you imagine the fallout from a Brazil loss at this early stage!

Should be two interesting 2nd round games.

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Just going to post this. Brazil is in tough. Chile plays a very nice game, and if they get the first goal, who knows!! Can you imagine the fallout from a Brazil loss at this early stage!

Should be two interesting 2nd round games. It'll be a good game. If Fred gets hot, every team is in trouble. A streaking Neymar and a hot Fred is dangerous. Last year was evident of that.

thundercty
06-23-2014, 04:13 PM

^^^^ agree 100% as I noticed that throughout the matches on SAT/SUN. Still doesn't make up for the apathy of the USMNT defense in the last minute, which cost us dearly. BUT.....at least we are still in this thing.

#BeatGermany

Sheabers
06-23-2014, 05:23 PM

Sorry your problem is with Ronaldo is he is a cry baby and a pansy, then mention Messi, Saurez and Neymar? Guessing you don't watch much of this sport? All 3 of them are just as bad, if not worse at times. Messi is the most disrespectful little rat when things don't go his way, goes crying to the media the second they cant beat a team that doesn't open up and let his team win, see his reaction to drawing with Rangers, losing to Celtic, losing to Chelsea. Neymar, who I believe to be very good, will never be a patch on Ronaldo, and like Saurez, who is the best old school striker in the game, spend far more time on their arse than Ronaldo does.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Fake it till you make it.

Yeah. :cool:

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 06:10 PM
So because my opinion differs from yours it means i dont watch the sport?

Sheabers
06-23-2014, 06:27 PM
So because my opinion differs from yours it means i dont watch the sport?

To go on about Ronaldo's problem being a crybaby and a pansy, then mention those 3 names suggests you haven't seen Neymar and Saurez often, or that you never hear Messi after a game. Either that or you have an irrational problem with Ronaldo. Neymar and Saurez would be classed as far bigger pansys than Ronaldo, if you are meaning he likes to dive to try win free kicks, and yes he does sulk, but listen to Messi after games when a team decides to defend properly and he doesn't get his way, sulks to the press and is disrespectful to the opposition while he moans about them, something I can hardly remember Ronaldo ever doing.

CanDB
06-23-2014, 07:21 PM
It'll be a good game. If Fred gets hot, every team is in trouble. A streaking Neymar and a hot Fred is dangerous. Last year was evident of that.

You mean he can play naked??? Hmmmmm......that should get the female fans more engaged!

(sorry....couldn't hold back:heh:)

InsaneBlaze23
06-23-2014, 07:35 PM
To go on about Ronaldo's problem being a crybaby and a pansy, then mention those 3 names suggests you haven't seen Neymar and Saurez often, or that you never hear Messi after a game. Either that or you have an irrational problem with Ronaldo. Neymar and Saurez would be classed as far bigger pansys than Ronaldo, if you are meaning he likes to dive to try win free kicks, and yes he does sulk, but listen to Messi after games when a team decides to defend properly and he doesn't get his way, sulks to the press and is disrespectful to the opposition while he moans about them, something I can hardly remember Ronaldo ever doing.

Well for your information, I haven't missed a single Brasil international game, USA international game, UEFA Championship, or Barcelona game since 08, which was when I first started watching soccer. Don't make assumptions about me watching a sport just because my opinion of players you like differ from you.

Calling Ronaldo a pansy is a forum safe word for something else. Has nothing to do with diving. In during my time of watching the games I've seen. I've seen Ronaldo whine for penalties more than Neymar and Messi.

CanDB
06-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Hey gang....why not let this "thing" go and continue to talk about all the good stuff coming out of this amazing tournament. You guys seem to know a lot about soccer, and I'd like to hear more of the good commentary that you can aptly provide.:thumb:

Jaws
06-24-2014, 03:32 AM
Congrats USA on your progress so far :beer:

Sorry England, but I have to root for Costa Rica tonight. As a Welshie I always like to see outsiders do well.

I've enjoyed these group stages very much. Hope the knock-out phase is not too cagey and we continue to see plenty of excitement.

Vhailor
06-24-2014, 04:49 AM

I think you have Luis mistaken for Arjen. Either way, diving is a disgrace and should be penalized heavier than what it is now.

broncoslover115
06-24-2014, 07:39 AM
I think you have Luis mistaken for Arjen. Either way, diving is a disgrace and should be penalized heavier than what it is now.

Yup, almost makes the game unwatchable. Can't stand it. They look like a bunch of pansies. All of them.

This is the first time I've ever really gotten into watching soccer and the diving and flopping is so ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it. What A bunch of frauds and babies. Man up babies.

Jaws
06-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I didn't watch the Uruguay v Italy game but is it true that Suarez has been doing his best to impersonate a Shark again?

MegaOrange
06-24-2014, 02:44 PM
I didn't watch the Uruguay v Italy game but is it true that Suarez has been doing his best to impersonate a Shark again?

I saw the clip and he definitely bit again. Its like a fetish for him. He's a biter.

Jaws
06-24-2014, 02:57 PM
I saw the clip and he definitely bit again. Its like a fetish for him. He's a biter.

So disappointed in him. Thought he'd turned a corner.
Sensational player to watch, but he should have his teeth removed!!

broncoslover115
06-24-2014, 02:58 PM
If anyone watched Greece and Ivory Coast, can you please explain to me why Greece was able to get a shot at the end with only the goal tender defending? These crappy analysts like Lawless don't explain anything. They are pretty useless to this casual fan.

InsaneBlaze23
06-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Yup, almost makes the game unwatchable. Can't stand it. They look like a bunch of pansies. All of them.

This is the first time I've ever really gotten into watching soccer and the diving and flopping is so ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it. What A bunch of frauds and babies. Man up babies.
Flopping itself is disgusting. I think it's even worst in the NBA, since a good flop can change the game.

So disappointed in him. Thought he'd turned a corner.
Sensational player to watch, but he should have his teeth removed!!

He's immature, up till now he was doing very well not doing this crap. FIFA is reviewing it, he obviously did bite the player, so they'll probably suspend him or fine him if they wanna be soft.

Considering some like myself think he's the second best player right now, dude needs to act better.

100%Broncoholic
06-25-2014, 02:00 AM
If anyone watched Greece and Ivory Coast, can you please explain to me why Greece was able to get a shot at the end with only the goal tender defending? These crappy analysts like Lawless don't explain anything. They are pretty useless to this casual fan.

It's called a penalty kick. When a foul occurs inside the 18 yard back the team is awarded with a "free kick" from the penalty spot, where the shooter goes one on one with the goalkeeper.

Two articles for your viewing pleasure:
http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footballdevelopment/technicalsupport/refereeing/laws-of-the-game/law/newsid=1290872.html

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_14_the_penalty_kick_en_47369.pdf

InsaneBlaze23
06-25-2014, 03:24 AM

Ever watch hockey? It's like a penalty shot in hockey. If a player attempting to score is fouled within a certain range, like 18 yards as Broncoholic said, that player is given a penalty shot/kick. One on One with the Keeper.

broncoslover115
06-25-2014, 04:56 AM
It's called a penalty kick. When a foul occurs inside the 18 yard back the team is awarded with a "free kick" from the penalty spot, where the shooter goes one on one with the goalkeeper.

Two articles for your viewing pleasure:
http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footballdevelopment/technicalsupport/refereeing/laws-of-the-game/law/newsid=1290872.html

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_14_the_penalty_kick_en_47369.pdf

Ever watch hockey? It's like a penalty shot in hockey. If a player attempting to score is fouled within a certain range, like 18 yards as Broncoholic said, that player is given a penalty shot/kick. One on One with the Keeper.

Thanks guys. I was so confused. I really wish these analysts would explain this stuff. You two should apply for their jobs. :laugh:

InsaneBlaze23
06-25-2014, 05:49 AM
Thanks guys. I was so confused. I really wish these analysts would explain this stuff. You two should apply for their jobs. :laugh:

Well you know how ESPN is. Lets hire former players, put em in suits, and tell them to talk about their sport.

broncoslover115
06-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Well you know how ESPN is. Lets hire former players, put em in suits, and tell them to talk about their sport.

I think you'd do a better job. So far this guy Lalas has been totally useless. He just moans and groans or calls everything "beautiful."

86Elwayfan
06-25-2014, 09:10 AM
I think you'd do a better job. So far this guy Lalas has been totally useless. He just moans and groans or calls everything "beautiful."

Haha I am glad you are noticing that. Lalas is the worst soccer analyst ever....quite literally. On another note i believe this what Suarez was thinking whilst holding his teeth yesterday....

"Needs marinara sauce..."-Luis Suarez

InsaneBlaze23
06-25-2014, 09:45 AM

Well thanks, but I don't think I've spent enough years with the sport to be an analyst. Lalas is just the cheapest guy they could find.

Haha I am glad you are noticing that. Lalas is the worst soccer analyst ever....quite literally. On another note i believe this what Suarez was thinking whilst holding his teeth yesterday....

"Needs marinara sauce..."-Luis Suarez

Was watching Mike & Mike this morning, Greeny pointed out a article about Luis up bringing. It doesn't excuse what he did and the writer of that article wasn't trying to excuse the incident. But what he was stating was Luis growing up and the poorest of poor in Uruguay and having to fight to get anywhere in life. In that always fight mentality stayed with him in Soccer.

Pretty sure even Luis doesn't even know why he does it, thus the thought that he may need mental help doesn't sound terrible. Something is going on in his head.

MegaOrange
06-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Well thanks, but I don't think I've spent enough years with the sport to be an analyst. Lalas is just the cheapest guy they could find.

Was watching Mike & Mike this morning, Greeny pointed out a article about Luis up bringing. It doesn't excuse what he did and the writer of that article wasn't trying to excuse the incident. But what he was stating was Luis growing up and the poorest of poor in Uruguay and having to fight to get anywhere in life. In that always fight mentality stayed with him in Soccer.

Pretty sure even Luis doesn't even know why he does it, thus the thought that he may need mental help doesn't sound terrible. Something is going on in his head.

I get the will to compete but work on some subtle elbows or a knee or something. The whole biting thing is just crazy to me. In motion biting just seems like the worst way to get back at someone and the quickest way to lose some teeth. Are his teeth real?

broncoslover115
06-25-2014, 12:27 PM

I read that story too after watching M&M this morning. I too understood his background better, but the biting thing is just too ridiculous at this point. He really does need help.

EvertonBroncos
06-25-2014, 01:00 PM
3rd time he's done it. A dog does it once and they're put to sleep.

DenverBlood
06-26-2014, 05:32 AM
Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari have been suspended "indefinitely" and sent home from Ghana's World Cup camp following alleged rows with their coach and and an official.

The Black Stars are to face Portugal on Thursday in a decisive Group G clash that could still see the African side qualify for the round of 16.

However, they will be without Boateng and Muntari, with the Ghana Football Association (GFA) announcing on the morning of the game that Boateng has been suspended over claims he insulted Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah, while Muntari allegedly attacked a member of the organisation.

An official statement on Boateng said: "The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has approved coach Kwesi Appiah's decision to suspend Kevin-Prince Boateng indefinitely from the Black Stars. The decision takes immediate effect.

"The decision was taken following Boateng's vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Kwesi Appiah during the team's training session in Maceio this week.

"Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision. Boateng's accreditation for the 2014 World Cup has been withdrawn with immediate effect."

A separate statement on Muntari added: "The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has suspended Sulley Ali Muntari indefinitely from the Black Stars with immediate effect.

"The decision was taken in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an Executive Committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr Moses Armah on Tuesday June 24, 2014 during a meeting.

"Muntari's accreditation for the 2014 World Cup has been withdrawn with immediate effect."

Boateng himself confirmed his exit to Sport Bild and revealed he and Muntari had a minor clash in training which sparked the row with Appiah.

"Yes, I am leaving. I am no longer part of the team," Boateng said.

"Yesterday, there was incident between me and Sulley Muntari in training. We joked after a battle for the ball. I told him that he had played the ball with his hand. He said no. I laughed at him and said: 'You're the ref now, or what?' We both laughed, but the coach stopped the complete session and asked why we both laughed. We told him that everything's OK. But he sent us to the dressing room.

"I talked to the coach after training. I asked him why he was down on me and he started shouting at me. He also insulted me. Words like 'f--- off' were said.

"I heard about my suspension this morning. I absolutely accept it, but nobody should believe that I have insulted the coach or have done anything wrong. I leave now, and wish my colleagues the best of luck for the World Cup and the Portugal match."

Boateng was surprisingly dropped by Appiah for the Black Stars' first World Cup game against United States, with the Schalke player questioning his coach's tactics after the match.

The double-sacking piles extra pressure on Ghana ahead of the Portugal clash following an earlier disagreement over World Cup appearance fees.

The nation's president had to intervene to reassure agitated players that they will be paid their bonuses.

Ghana's government has sent more than $3 million in cash by plane to Brazil to pay the appearance fees owed to the national team at the World Cup.

This could have a huge impact on the Ghana Portugal outcome that could determine if the USA advances or not. It makes me feel better that Ghana who is closer in differential won't be able to catch us.

However it could allow Portugal to win 2-0 or 3-0 and put pressure on us not to get owned by Germany.

Hope all goes well today. Go USA!!

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Win or lose today, think we all can agree that the US team gained some respect from the other nations. We aren't just an American sports fan base, we like the world game too...and our players can hang with the top dogs.

EvertonBroncos
06-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Go go USA!

broncoslover115
06-26-2014, 09:18 AM
USA not looking good so far. Can't keep possession and Germany getting close chances. Come on guys!!

EvertonBroncos
06-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Great effort by Zusi. Been one of the standout players for the USA these first three games, very impressive

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Great effort by Zusi. Been one of the standout players for the USA these first three games, very impressive

He's always been a good player, just never used correctly till now. Klinsmann is genius when it comes to putting players in position to succeed. Just up to those players to take advance of that and preform. Zusi preforms.

the0rangecrush
06-26-2014, 09:30 AM
The hell ref...

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Own goal by Ghana if anyone is watching that game. 1-0 Portugal.

broncoslover115
06-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Is it me or does Bradley kind of blow? He seems to turn the ball over a lot. Frustrating.

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Is it me or does Bradley kind of blow? He seems to turn the ball over a lot. Frustrating.

Yea he's really struggling this Cup. Bradley is usually a player the US can rely one consistently. But this time around he seems to be a liability.

CanDB
06-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Not really a great game to watch (so far). Germany looks like they are just having fun (but with obvious technical skill), and the US looks to be going for a tie, which is understandable.

Can't wait for the next round.

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Not really a great game to watch (so far). Germany looks like they are just having fun (but with obvious technical skill), and the US looks to be going for a tie, which is understandable.

I think both teams are trying to play it safe to not risk injury for the next round. Win or Draw US gets in.

EvertonBroncos
06-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Lovely finish by Muller but as long as things stay as they are USA still through

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Howard can only do so much. He had a great save on the first one, but the rebound put the Germans up 1. US defense needs to be better. Germans are constantly in the box.

EvertonBroncos
06-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Asamoah Gyan equalises for Ghana...

broncoslover115
06-26-2014, 10:19 AM
God, I hate the flopping! Such pansies!

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Stupid yellow card. They didn't call a thing when the American player was tripped just a few seconds earlier. Either be fair with the penalty calling, or don't call any at all.

broncoslover115
06-26-2014, 10:25 AM

USA looks terrible in the game. Just awful.

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Sloppy offense, bad defense. That has been the US today.

Bronco51
06-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Hate to pile on because the announcers have already mentioned it, but Bradley has seemed overmatched and out of place the last two games. And the flopping is getting ridiculous.

the0rangecrush
06-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Ya Bradley has been poo poo recently

dizzolve
06-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Nice chance there at the end. Looks like he had the whole left side of the goal open and he went right -got blocked.

US still moves on though thx to Portugal - Congrats

Bronco51
06-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Gracias Ronaldo!!!!!

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 10:58 AM
First thing, get some rest. No team has had to travel more than the US.(traveled more than 9K miles during this group stage.) That means less time rest after games and practice.

Second thing prepare for Belgium. Defense needs to be better, offense needs to capitalize on chances.

EvertonBroncos
06-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Congratulations USA! Wouldn't honestly surprise me to see them advance past Belgium, they haven't been impressive thus far, despite winning their group.

dizzolve
06-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Yeah it seemed to me US was just going through the motions in the first half - turning it over time and again. I rarely watch Soccer tho .... but it appeared US turned it over needlessly much more than Germany did.
:salute: Go USA

broncoslover115
06-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Gracias Ronaldo!!!!!

Hats off to him. He certainly took the pressure off. Not a good game at all for us though. Hope they get it together. Bradley seems to be more of a liability than a helper at this point.

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Different vibe from Klinsmann. End of Portugal game he took shots at FIFA, now he's a bit more relaxed.

HurricaneDovs
06-26-2014, 11:11 AM

BOOM! Just gotta be in, and we are. Survived the GoD and hopefully that makes us stronger for the tourney round.

Great job guys to advance. Let's keep it going.

Vhailor
06-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I can understand Klinsmann's frustration with FIFA after Portugal equalized five minutes on overtime. Four were indicated, but after an "injury" to a Portuguese, an extra minute was added.

CanDB
06-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Congrats US......

......now you have to bring the "A" game. You did what needed to be done to advance, but now each game is sudden death. Good luck!

By the way, Dempsey is a good player, but I like what Jermaine Jones brings to the field. He has been quite noticeable in what I have watched.

JT24Champ
06-26-2014, 12:35 PM

zusi has played well but his corners have been garbage. only one of his 13 corners have been played in the box (it was a goal) and the rest have sailed over or fallen short. wasted opportunities there

bronx_2003
06-26-2014, 12:42 PM
I thought the USA deserved to got through. They lack a bit of quality but work hard and were well organised.

Portugal and Ghana were very poor and their fans will be very angry with the performances.

Belgium is a good draw and a win-able game. They have quality players but haven't shown much so far

SoundsOfSuccess
06-26-2014, 04:31 PM
I believe we will beat Belgium!!

They have a couple great players in Hazard, Kompany, Courtois but we will win as the better team.

More anxious/excited for this next match than the last Super Bowl, somehow..

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 04:49 PM
I believe we will beat Belgium!!

They have a couple great players in Hazard, Kompany, Courtois but we will win as the better team.

More anxious/excited for this next match than the last Super Bowl, somehow..

Soccer fever. Futbol has a atmosphere that draws you in.

DenverBlood
06-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Soccer fever. Fubtol has a atmosphere that draws you in.

Most Americans like futbol way more than they like to admit.

I live in Alabama which is far from any major futbol clubs. At any level past high school. And they are obsessed with football.

But the bar I went to at lunch was packed within 5 minutes of opening and prior to kickoff. And no one left until the end. And it was a semi racous crowd fully into both games at the same time. And everyone knew what had to happen in both games.

And everyone cheered despite the loss at the end.

People can't tell me they don't like futbol.

The problem is the MLS pushes you back out away from the atmosphere. But like I said that's also due to no teams close to where I live.

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Most Americans like futbol way more than they like to admit.

I live in Alabama which is far from any major futbol clubs. At any level past high school. And they are obsessed with football.

But the bar I went to at lunch was packed within 5 minutes of opening and prior to kickoff. And no one left until the end. And it was a semi racous crowd fully into both games at the same time. And everyone knew what had to happen in both games.

And everyone cheered despite the loss at the end.

People can't tell me they don't like futbol.

The problem is the MLS pushes you back out away from the atmosphere. But like I said that's also due to no teams close to where I live.

I think MLS is poorly marketed and has a poor evolution. First and for most, before have multiple teams in the same state. You at least need to have a team in the major metros like Detroit, Miami, etc. And yea MLS also doesn't have the same atmosphere the Euro leagues have. It's more tame so to speak.

Funny though because the semi pro leagues are just like the Euro leagues. I know when I went to a Detroit City FC game, it had great atmosphere, people had the smoke bombs in the team colors, it was awesome.

InsaneBlaze23
06-26-2014, 06:24 PM
This is what it's like at a semi pro soccer game in Detroit...a city cycled around the Red Wings and Tigers.
https://atlasandaxisunbound.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/northernguard1.jpg

http://goalwa.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/detroit_city_fc.jpg

I can never watch a MLS game, I'll watch game between teams I don't even like from the Euro league. But MLS just does't interest me.

Funny, in Europe, the MLS is where the good players go to retire. MLS is like the Oakland Raiders to the Euro leagues.

RealBronco
06-26-2014, 10:39 PM
As someone who is still trying to get familiar with some of the more intricate pieces of soccer (I'll always call it soccer, even if it should be futbol or football) I feel better about thinking that Bradley has played poorly.

He's the sole reason we were in this situation today because instead of controlling the ball more with 30 seconds left in the Portugal match, he gets it stolen from him. Instead of just kicking it out of bounds or even trying to go the correct way, he's at midfield in a bit of a tussle with the opponent instead and loses the ball. Prior to that he hadn't really played well and he was taking shots that were just ridiculous and poorly timed or way off target.

I've been frustrated with that guy the most so far. The rest of the guys seem to be gelling a lot better, however.

Jaws
06-27-2014, 12:43 AM
Well done USA!

broncoslover115
06-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Man, I hate the handing out of these yellow cards like candy. These fouls all look like "incidental contact" to me but what do I know. But 2 have already been given out in the Brazil-Chili game in the first 30 minutes. Jeez!

CanDB
06-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Man, I hate the handing out of these yellow cards like candy. These fouls all look like "incidental contact" to me but what do I know. But 2 have already been given out in the Brazil-Chili game in the first 30 minutes. Jeez!

I agree.....Chile has 2 already and the one that I saw was minor.

BUT......This is a soccer game!!! Sorry, but after watching the Germany / US sleeper, this is even more exciting. Chile has a chance, unless the refs get too involved. Ya I know, that game was all about making it to the 2nd round, but regardless, it was poor stuff. This is the good stuff.

By the way.....Neymar Jr. is a gifted soccer player, and Sanchez for Chile is seemingly always lurking for a goal. If I was Brazil I'd watch him closely.

broncoslover115
06-28-2014, 10:17 AM
I agree.....Chile has 2 already and the one that I saw was minor.

BUT......This is a soccer game!!! Sorry, but after watching the Germany / US sleeper, this is even more exciting. Chile has a chance, unless the refs get too involved. Ya I know, that game was all about making it to the 2nd round, but regardless, it was poor stuff. This is the good stuff.

By the way.....Neymar Jr. is a gifted soccer player, and Sanchez for Chile is seemingly always lurking for a goal. If I was Brazil I'd watch him closely.

Yup, totally agree. This is much more exciting and you feel like both sides are going to score any minute. And a score just as I'm typing this. Nope, a hand ball and the goal called back. But proved my point.

I hope our game on Tuesday is better than that snoozefest against Germany. Happy futbol watching.

HurricaneDovs
06-28-2014, 10:20 AM
It looked like it did touch his arm. That will be a heckuva talking point for a while. Especially if Brazil ends up losing.

DenverBlood
06-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Y'all are nuts. The Germany USA game was far from a snooze fest. And not just because advancing was on the line.

Scoring in soccer isn't all there is to being exciting. There were tons of great scoring chances, maybe not on our end but in the game. Howard made some stellar saves.

That game was exciting to watch. There is only 1 more goal in this Brazil and Chile game. And I would argue the defenses have been much sloppier in this game creating those chances y'all find exciting.

broncoslover115
06-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Y'all are nuts. The Germany USA game was far from a snooze fest. And not just because advancing was on the line.

Scoring in soccer isn't all there is to being exciting. There were tons of great scoring chances, maybe not on our end but in the game. Howard made some stellar saves.

That game was exciting to watch. There is only 1 more goal in this Brazil and Chile game. And I would argue the defenses have been much sloppier in this game creating those chances y'all find exciting.

I do have to agree that the 2nd half hasn't looked very good. In the USA game I found it very frustrating to watch the play of Bradley and the hard time it seemed that we had keeping possession. I wasn't really referring to the lack of scoring, although it would have been nice.

I am amazed at how much I've gotten into soccer though, it's a fun game. I never got into it before and it sure has been exciting to get to learn the ins and outs.

DenverBlood
06-28-2014, 11:16 AM
I do have to agree that the 2nd half hasn't looked very good. In the USA game I found it very frustrating to watch the play of Bradley and the hard time it seemed that we had keeping possession. I wasn't really referring to the lack of scoring, although it would have been nice.

I am amazed at how much I've gotten into soccer though, it's a fun game. I never got into it before and it sure has been exciting to get to learn the ins and outs.

Not going to disagree with you about Bradley. He has been sloppy all tournament.

But it was similar style mistakes by Brazil that allowed Chili to tie. That's all I'm saying.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Chile was just a few inches short of winning it.... Time for a shootout!

DenverBlood
06-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Wow Chile nearly put the favorites out.

Going to be an intense shootout.

the0rangecrush
06-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Penalties, I know this is blasphemy to some, but I love shootouts in both futbol and Hockey

DenverBlood
06-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Penalties, I know this is blasphemy to some, but I love shootouts in both futbol and Hockey

Who would it be blasphemy too? I'm not a fan of it in hockey but it's as intense as anything in sports in futbol.

the0rangecrush
06-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Pressure makes diamonds and crap

broncoslover115
06-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Wow, this exciting stuff. Reminds me of the TJ Oshe situation in the Olympics. Unbelievable drama.

the0rangecrush
06-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Oh my now that's a penalty kick

DenverBlood
06-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Brazil escapes. I told my buddy Brazil would win due to better shooters.

Not taking anything away from Brazils goalie but all three chili misses were pathetic attempts.

HurricaneDovs
06-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Daaaaaang. He had him beat. It was just too wide.

Brazil had a battle this game. Going to be a great rest of the tourney.

Broncoholic JS
06-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Brazil got away with it today. Chile deserved to win today. I feel so bad for them. Heartbreaking.

Brazil won't make it out of the next round.

CanDB
06-28-2014, 12:31 PM

Hmmmmm........I kinda disagree with that comment, and in general with your response. The Germany/USA game was not played with the same effort. This game, though a bit sloppy in the 2nd half, was a lot about wanting to win, as opposed to going for a tie.

CanDB
06-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Brazil escapes. I told my buddy Brazil would win due to better shooters.

Not taking anything away from Brazils goalie but all three chili misses were pathetic attempts.

I disagree again. Both teams were weak in the shootout, but that last Chile miss was on a very good shot, which was inches from a goal.

All in all, Brazil was fortunate today. They could easily be going home (except that's where they live!). Chile had them nervous, and with but a couple of minutes left in OT, and a shot that hit the crossbar.....this game could have been Chile's.

broncoslover115
06-28-2014, 02:48 PM
I disagree again. Both teams were weak in the shootout, but that last Chile miss was on a very good shot, which was inches from a goal.

All in all, Brazil was fortunate today. They could easily be going home (except that's where they live!). Chile had them nervous, and with but a couple of minutes left in OT, and a shot that hit the crossbar.....this game could have been Chile's.

I wish it was Chile's game. I felt like they played harder and were trying to win, Brazil, not so much. Hard loss for them.

broncoslover115
06-28-2014, 02:59 PM
I love Columbia's team dance when they score. Very fun to watch!

DenverBlood
06-28-2014, 03:09 PM

Going to have to agree to disagree. With the exception of Chili's third attempt all of the Brazil attempts were much better.

After all they did have more go in the net.

the0rangecrush
06-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Im a little confused at the "deserved" to win talk. At the end of the day the team that wins is the deserving one.

InsaneBlaze23
06-28-2014, 04:01 PM
People underrated Chile. It isn't Brasil isn't that good, they are plenty good and can win it all. It's Chile is just that good, nobody pays them any attention. Only few sports analyst ever mention how good the talent is on Chile, so casual fans just assume they aren't any good and them keeping it close with Brasil is a sign Brasil isn't that good....when that isn't the case.

Chile was the most exciting team in the tourney or as Bob Ley calls them, the attractive team. They gained a lot of fans during this cup because of their play and now even more people will know the name Alexi Sanchez.

CanDB
06-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Going to have to agree to disagree. With the exception of Chili's third attempt all of the Brazil attempts were much better.

After all they did have more go in the net.

But you said all three Chilean attempts were pathetic....how do you call a shot that is inches from being perfect "pathetic"? By the way, I don't mind disagreeing. I think your "description" is inaccurate.

DenverBlood
06-28-2014, 08:49 PM
But you said all three Chilean attempts were pathetic....how do you call a shot that is inches from being perfect "pathetic"? By the way, I don't mind disagreeing. I think your "description" is inaccurate.

Few inches from perfect? Why? Because he had the goalie beat?

He hit the right post. I wouldn't call that inches from perfect. You hit the post you screwed up. Plain and simple. He would be the first to tell you that.

Pathetic is not an inaccurate description. But it was mainly referring to the first two attempts. They were not hit with power and poorly placed.

Go ahead and disagree. But like I said 3 of Brazils went in the net. Only two for Chili. Not difficult to figure out who had the better string of shooters.

Broncoholic JS
06-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Anyone else think that we can beat Belgium?

I truly think that we will!!

CanDB
06-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Few inches from perfect? Why? Because he had the goalie beat?

He hit the right post. I wouldn't call that inches from perfect. You hit the post you screwed up. Plain and simple. He would be the first to tell you that.

Pathetic is not an inaccurate description. But it was mainly referring to the first two attempts. They were not hit with power and poorly placed.

Go ahead and disagree. But like I said 3 of Brazils went in the net. Only two for Chili. Not difficult to figure out who had the better string of shooters.

Sorry bud, but you are really splitting hairs. I'll move on, but inside goal post was not pathetic....in fact, one of the Brazil goals was tipped by the goalie, and therefore inches from being "pathetic" as well.

InsaneBlaze23
06-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Anyone else think that we can beat Belgium?

Every game is winable. Them likely not having Kompany is an advantage. If Jozy plays, we have an even better chance of winning. Klinsmann says he's optimistic that Jozy will play. But you never know with a hamstring.

InsaneBlaze23
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
To chime in, pathetic would be if the ball completely sails over the net, with no chance of have going in. Knocking it off the bar isn't pathetic. For all we know, that's where he was aiming but had the wrong angle. A lot of players try to use the pipes to knock in cheap goals. Messi did it during the group stage.

At the end of the day, we saw a great game between 2 great teams, whom played like they wanted to win.

SoundsOfSuccess
06-28-2014, 10:21 PM
anyone else think that we can beat belgium?

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN

WIth Belgium's injury troubles we will prevail and get into the round of 8!!!!

Jaws
06-29-2014, 01:00 AM
Hmmmmm........I kinda disagree with that comment, and in general with your response. The Germany/USA game was not played with the same effort. This game, though a bit sloppy in the 2nd half, was a lot about wanting to win, as opposed to going for a tie.

Final games in the group stage can often be quite cagey.

InsaneBlaze23
06-29-2014, 02:24 AM
I mean you gotta take into account that both teams, especially Germany obviously, was confident they'd move into the round of 16. So they played it safe, didn't wanna risk further injuries. US played in a very difficult climate the game before. It was even talked about on ESPN, where the analyst was saying, they are surprised Germany and the US didn't agree to just play for a draw.

Games like these happen. Sometimes teams that know they are in, pace themselves to be ready for the knock out stage.

BroncosDivision
06-29-2014, 03:36 AM
My money is on Zimbabwe over Kurdistan in the final. :salute:

DenverBlood
06-29-2014, 08:05 AM
Sorry bud, but you are really splitting hairs. I'll move on, but inside goal post was not pathetic....in fact, one of the Brazil goals was tipped by the goalie, and therefore inches from being "pathetic" as well.

Well that's the beauty of it Can. It's really all opinionated now isn't it? Of all the people on this board I would think you would understand that the best.

There's no right or wrong. Just how I felt about it after watching it play out.

Broncoholic JS
06-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Come on Netherlands, get the equalizer!!

DenverBlood
06-29-2014, 10:47 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Broncoholic JS
06-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooalllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

United in Orange!!!

Broncoholic JS
06-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Wow, wow, wow

Broncoholic JS
06-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Goodbye Mexico!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL L

DenverBlood
06-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Holy cow what a huge stunning shift

Emily Diana
06-29-2014, 10:55 AM
- Broncos player reactions: U.S. falls to Germany 1-0, still advances in World Cup -

"The bad news? U.S. soccer lost to Germany 1-0 in on Thursday afternoon. The good news? The loss doesn't matter!

Thanks to Portugal defeating Ghana 2-1, the United States will be moving on in the World Cup. They will play Belgium on July 1.

Below are the reactions from Denver Broncos players during and immediately following the game." ...

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/6/27/5847468/u-s-falls-to-germany-1-0-still-advances-in-world-cup-broncos-player

CanDB
06-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Well that's the beauty of it Can. It's really all opinionated now isn't it? Of all the people on this board I would think you would understand that the best.

There's no right or wrong. Just how I felt about it after watching it play out.

We're cool.

CanDB
06-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Just caught the last 20-25 minutes of the game today. I feel bad for Mexico. This could have been their day. Good on The Netherlands for the comeback, but they left things pretty late. But I was surprised that they were on the brink of losing when I got home to watch.

They could still win the whole thing.

broncoslover115
06-29-2014, 11:51 AM
That looked like a BS penalty to me. Hate seeing teams win any game in any sport because of refs.

I would love all these futbol players to play a few series in the NFL to toughen them up so they stop being "flopping little pansies." God, can't stand it. They look like idiots out there. Big babies.

DenverBlood
06-29-2014, 12:21 PM
That looked like a BS penalty to me. Hate seeing teams win any game in any sport because of refs.

I would love all these futbol players to play a few series in the NFL to toughen them up so they stop being "flopping little pansies." God, can't stand it. They look like idiots out there. Big babies.

Not sure why you feel that way. It was a legit penalty. Robben may have slightly exaggerated but it was still an illegal tackle inside the box. That's an auto pk every time.

Honestly Mexico illegally tackled Robben inside the box 2-3 other times throughout the game that should've also resulted in PK's that they got away with.

The end result was exactly as it should've been. Mexico played outstanding but it just wasn't meant to be.

Don't blame the refs.

Broncoholic JS
06-29-2014, 12:45 PM
broncoslover115, It happened in the box. You do WHATEVER you can in the box to help your team win. Even on defense, you do whatever you can. All of the analysts are saying penalty too. You don't do anything that you wouldn't get away with in the box. Especially in a World Cup. The referees don't care about what you do after the group stage. Survival of the fittest in the knockout stage. Robben didn't dive, he just finished his play.

No matter the team, you NEVER get away with anything in the box.

broncoslover115
06-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Not sure why you feel that way. It was a legit penalty. Robben may have slightly exaggerated but it was still an illegal tackle inside the box. That's an auto pk every time.

Honestly Mexico illegally tackled Robben inside the box 2-3 other times throughout the game that should've also resulted in PK's that they got away with.

The end result was exactly as it should've been. Mexico played outstanding but it just wasn't meant to be.

Don't blame the refs.

broncoslover115, It happened in the box. You do WHATEVER you can in the box to help your team win. Even on defense, you do whatever you can. All of the analysts are saying penalty too. You don't do anything that you wouldn't get away with in the box. Especially in a World Cup. The referees don't care about what you do after the group stage. Survival of the fittest in the knockout stage. Robben didn't dive, he just finished his play.

No matter the team, you NEVER get away with anything in the box.

Well, I'm just learning about what fouls are and aren't. The analysts I've listened to said it was ticky tacky too. But, I'll take your word for it. It looked like he was going for the ball, not his legs.

But whatever. Most of the fouls look like incidental contact to me anyway but what do I know? But, thanks for helping me learn about the fouling in the box and how it's different.