PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Denver?

IndySkinnz
08-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Colts fan here that comes in peace. Will be a hospitable visitor and only talk rationally about the game and my team - no trolling or smack talk. Not my style. And I am asking for some help.

We are coming to Denver on Friday AM. We are staying downtown by the conventon center and have all day Friday and Saturday to see what there is in Denver. For you locals, a couple of reccomendations is appreciated. Thinking outdoors type stuff and things we don't get to do in Indy.

broncoslover115
08-31-2014, 09:29 AM
You must take a trip into the mountains. They are glorious!
Estes Park, Breckinridge, Vail are relatively close if you want to do outdoor things. These towns also have great Main Streets to walk around with lots of shops and restaurants.

You can also rent bikes there and ride around as well. In Vail, you can take a ride on the ski lift to get to the top of the world. Honestly, if you've never been to Colorado and you want to do something you can't do in Indy, please do yourself a favor and take a drive into the Rocky Mountains.

When I was moving from NYC to SF, I had to drive on I70 through the mountains and had never seen anything so beautiful in my life. I made sure that I would live there one day and I did for 16 years. Nothing like it. I had to move again but I really miss it.

80stheman
08-31-2014, 09:56 AM
broncoslover is right, take a trip to the mountains. I would suggest Estes Park. It's not far from Denver and it's right by Rocky Mountain National Park, which is a wonderful place for a hike.

http://www.visitestespark.com

58_VONDOOM_92
08-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Take a trip to estes park and I would say go up trail ridge cause its beautiful but that rd would be closed soon. You can also go up flagstaff which is right above boulder and it has a awesome view of the city.

IndySkinnz
08-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the ideas. We are planning on Garden of the Gods in Co Springs on Saturday but the Estes Park idea for Friday sounds like a great idea.

86Elwayfan
09-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Also....go to red rocks amphitheater!

underrated29
09-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Garden of the Gods is pretty cool. While you are down there in the Springs, there is a pretty cool zoo that is built on the side of the mountain. Its kinda fun to check out. The drive from denver to the springs sucks. Not much to see, looks like flat farm land. Itll take you about 90 minutes too. Tip- on that drive, you absolutely MUST leave after 930 am and leave the springs before 4pm or after 630pm...if not be prepared for rush hour hell.

I too would also HIGHLY recommend getting into the mountains. Estes, Glenwood springs is a perfect day trip too. 3 hours drive each way, but it is real nice viewing on the way and there is a big natural hot springs there. Cool little town, awesome hiking places and of course if you are from Colorado you know about it, but if not.......Hanging Lake. its about a mile hike up to the falls and lake, but it is pristine. Google hanging lake. Its awesome.

If that is too far to drive let me send you to (this is my secret for dates) Echo Lake. It is at the top of Mt. Evans. From denver it is about a 45 minute drive. Here is what I do and why youll love it:

Leave around 10ish in the morning, sleep in have breakfast, etc. The drive is a nice, scenic drive very relaxing and the weather should be gorgeous! You will drive through Idaho Springs which is a cool little town on the way. At the very top of MT. Evans is Echo lake. It is hidden and not too many people know about it or go there. There is a big lake for fishing, tons of hiking trails. A small coffee and gift shop. Go up there and get a nice hike, enjoy the views and exercise and our clean air. After about an hour or two head back down and stop at Beau Joes Pizza in Idaho Springs. It the original Beau Joes and their famous big mountain pizza pies. Then cruise through the small town shops after lunch. If you want and have some energy- there are 3 other activities right there which are nice. 1- white water rafting, zip line, atv tour. All are right there in Idaho Springs and can be done after lunch. Ive done them all and they are great. Then head on home.

Only other thing that may be fun for you is to drive to Georgetown, they have a cool scenic train and mine tour that is neat and informative. Pretty inexpensive as well. Town is quaint and lots of good shops and places to eat.

All of these are within about 45 minutes from Denver. You ll have plenty of time to get in, do and see what you want and be back in denver for a night on the town.