PDA

View Full Version : I Love Sports....BUT Games Should Not Go More Than 3 Hours

CanDB
11-20-2014, 10:56 AM
I believe most sports last significantly longer since I was a youngster, most likely due to advertising and the advent of replays/time outs/other. I LOVE sports, but even I am getting annoyed that games seem to go on and on, nearly every day and night, in nearly every sport. For me, baseball is definitely losing it's hold on me. I just can't sit and watch those long games, with all the delays. All the rituals. All the substitutions. Too much!

But even exciting sports, like NHL and NFL, wear on me from time to time. If you can get it done within 3 hours, you are doing good these days. I use the Sunday afternoon / 60 Minutes example, as proof that the games are going too long. There was a time that the 3 pm games would end by 6 pm, when 60 Minutes starts. Over time, the games went deeper into 60 Minutes, and thus you would end up backing up all your tv choices for the night. Sometimes 60 Minutes would end at 7, no matter what time you got to watch it. Of course nowadays there often ways to record shows, and often they are also shown later that night, or another day. But my point is, the stretch of the NFL game is getting stretch-ier!

There's proof that you can watch shorter games. At The Olympics, hockey games were often finished within 2 and 1/2 hours. I don't have the specifics, but some games seemed to be done in just over 2 hours. And they were exciting, and there were ads, and so on. I know, different environment, less fighting, and bigger ice (although not sure if that's really a factor).

Bottom line, other than Overtime, lets hope sports leaders manage the length of games. I'm sure there's no big rush, unless ratings get impacted. Having said that, The NHL has just changed the ruling in OT, in which they will no longer do a dry scrape, because it was taking a little too long. Interestingly, that process wasn't a bad thing, because it's goal was to make the ice more presentable in OT.

Anyway.....I will always love most sports, but I sure wish they could take some measures to ensure the "3 Hour Limit" (in those related sports) be a real goal going forward.

bronx_2003
11-20-2014, 02:19 PM
I see where your coming from but for me personally its not an issue.

Sports are just different. I like Cricket which goes on from 11 in the morning til 6 in the evening (or 14:30 to 10:00)

Football is 90 mins which works for that.

I enjoy sitting down with some nice food at 6 on a Sunday evening and watching football right through til 4.

The only thing that annoys me with the NFL is when you get referees throwing flags on marginal calls lol

Dennis.1960
11-20-2014, 02:30 PM
The length of NFL games doesn't bother me in and of itself. A long game due to penalties or overtime does happen, it's the gratuitous tv time outs and excessively long replay drama I hate, they just take too much of the flow out of the game.

ThundersCome
11-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Sounds to me like you just need to man up, drink a couple of extra beers and enjoy the game for its duration.

CanDB
11-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Sounds to me like you just need to man up, drink a couple of extra beers and enjoy the game for its duration.

I am not even sure why someone has to man up to unnecessarily long games???? You hear new ideas every day.;)

(Based on your opinion, some folks probably miss a lot of the game due to washroom "relief").

DenverBlood
11-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Actually Can I believe the average NFL game time is below 3 hours. Like around two hours and 45 minutes.

The 60 minutes issue is a misconception. The game of the week always starts at 3:25 not 3:05. That's why they are lasting close to 6:30. But for me almost every week the games are done before 6:30. And then I'm upset that there is an hour of nothing until the Sunday night game.

Now college football is a different story. That's where it gets absurd. The average SEC game last nearly four hours. Way too many commercial breaks plus the clock stops on every first down. They tried cutting back about 10 years ago by starting clock immediately after kicks. That was dumb and didn't work.

I've always thought they should quit stopping the clock to reset chains if they really want to speed it up.

dizzolve
11-23-2014, 10:32 AM
I personally can't get enough NFL ..... but you are right about the commercials and now we have review stoppages all the time .. which means more commercials bleh. They just forcefeed you those commercials and ram em down your throat till your sick of em.

Thursday Night game had a play stopped to be reviewed and before us fans got to see the replay they sent US FANS on commercial break - ...... I mean, WRONG time to send us to commercial. Then later after that they had a 2m dead time where we weren't at commercial but nothing was happening. They mixed it all up there.

I hate when they send to commercial when there's a critical replay that needs analysis. I don't even like replay anymore. I used to really think it was the way to go - but when these officials can somehow get these calls wrong even AFTER A REPLAY REVIEW, why bother? Replay could easily cut off 30m in many occasions

Thrasher
11-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Football games definitely last for too long. Not in terms of playing time but in the total duration of a game.
The NFL should follow the example of soccer in Europe and include more advertisement and sponsoring during the game and in the stadiums. Admittedly, this might be more difficult for football since the camera tends to be centered more in the middle of the field but advertisement on the edges of the stands can turn out to be effective nevertheless. This can help reducing commercials during the game, especially before and after kickoffs as well as punts.

CanDB
11-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Actually Can I believe the average NFL game time is below 3 hours. Like around two hours and 45 minutes.

The 60 minutes issue is a misconception. The game of the week always starts at 3:25 not 3:05. That's why they are lasting close to 6:30. But for me almost every week the games are done before 6:30. And then I'm upset that there is an hour of nothing until the Sunday night game.

Now college football is a different story. That's where it gets absurd. The average SEC game last nearly four hours. Way too many commercial breaks plus the clock stops on every first down. They tried cutting back about 10 years ago by starting clock immediately after kicks. That was dumb and didn't work.

I've always thought they should quit stopping the clock to reset chains if they really want to speed it up.

DB I have seen a quote that states that NFL games average 3 hours 12 minutes, and that the total amount of "true action" in a game last a mere 11 minutes. Hmmmm....lots of other stuff going on!!!!