PDA

View Full Version : Fox, GM non committal on Cutler

FL BRONCO
02-18-2015, 02:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471083/article/john-fox-bears-gm-noncommittal-on-jay-cutler

Interesting. He got his contract, but sure doesn't sound particularly great for Cutler or Marshall. We shall see. I will keeping tabs on what happens here.

Rastic
02-18-2015, 02:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471083/article/john-fox-bears-gm-noncommittal-on-jay-cutler

Interesting. He got his contract, but sure doesn't sound particularly great for Cutler or Marshall. We shall see. I will keeping tabs on what happens here.

Interesting more so about Marshall. He can be a headcase, more so in the past it seems, but he is still a great WR to have on your roster. I could easily see BM having a much better year with a QB that can play more than a handful of games in September and October before going full Cutler for the rest of the season.

Cutler may be the highest priced guy to ride the bench this year.

Houshmazode
02-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Then why did he take the job there? Oh right, it's probably the only HC position he was offered.

Rancid
02-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Well, he was non-committal during games, why should the off-season be any different?

dizzolve
02-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Interesting video on this situation

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000471048/John-Fox-to-focus-on-Cutler

It was funny because seeing Foxy up there I just KNEW we were going to hear all the cliches and basically get ZERO information like Denver fans are used to. This is what Fox is GREAT at! Standing at the podium if times are good or bad or in between and not giving any information - but not pissing people off tho. He can do it with a smile and even make the press laugh. Probably his best skill as HC lol

But in this presser, he did give everyone something to gnaw on. Well how about that !? LOL (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000471047/John-Fox-2015-NFL-Scouting-Combine-press-conference)

You know, I could see Cutler just retire if he's released. He probably doesn't care that much. He's made his payday.

SoundsOfSuccess
02-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Fox is only committal to punting

broncoslover115
02-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Well, he was non-committal during games, why should the off-season be any different?

Great post. I keep telling you Rancid, you need to be a stand up comic. :P

FL BRONCO
02-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Fox is only committal to punting

LMAO, sad part is it is true, great part is that it is hilarious, cps SS

FL BRONCO
02-20-2015, 10:51 AM
If my understanding of his contract is correct he has 15 mil fully guaranteed already this year no matter what. Then if he is still on the roster March 3 of this year 10 of his 16 million for next year is guaranteed, If he were to be cut before March 3rd, they would have to eat the 15 million this year but the rest would go away other than the dead money already paid.

If that is the case, Any one think They cut Cutler soon and eat it for this year while searching for new qb. I might very well have to think about cutting him if I were them. Think it would be hard to trade him with the contract, although maybe someone would.

CanDB
02-20-2015, 06:52 PM
If my understanding of his contract is correct he has 15 mil fully guaranteed already this year no matter what. Then if he is still on the roster March 3 of this year 10 of his 16 million for next year is guaranteed, If he were to be cut before March 3rd, they would have to eat the 15 million this year but the rest would go away other than the dead money already paid.

If that is the case, Any one think They cut Cutler soon and eat it for this year while searching for new qb. I might very well have to think about cutting him if I were them. Think it would be hard to trade him the contract, although maybe someone would.

This Cutler thing has a lot to do with March 3rd. That day is coming fast.

bears6385
03-08-2015, 09:49 AM

If that is the case, Any one think They cut Cutler soon and eat it for this year while searching for new qb. I might very well have to think about cutting him if I were them. Think it would be hard to trade him with the contract, although maybe someone would.Actually it is March 12. If the Bears were to release him before that date it would cost them 19.5 mil against the cap. Bears need all the cap space they can get to rebuild a horrid defense. Bad as Cutler was last year, the biggest problem was the defense.

CanDB
03-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Actually it is March 12. If the Bears were to release him before that date it would cost them 19.5 mil against the cap. Bears need all the cap space they can get to rebuild a horrid defense. Bad as Cutler was last year, the biggest problem was the defense.

I agree, D was the bigger of the problems. But to be fair, it was so bad it made other things look better than they should.

So, what would you do, given that Cutler has not made that step forward after all these years, although he is paid like someone who has? If he has another less than stellar year, is he worth the extra guaranteed money? If I'm running The Bears, I think about landing (moving up a bit if necessary) Mariota if the draft goes according to what many experts think. Why not give yourself a potentially bright future by getting one of the 2 best QBs in the draft, while working to fix the D?

FL BRONCO
03-08-2015, 04:37 PM
I agree, D was the bigger of the problems. But to be fair, it was so bad it made other things look better than they should.

So, what would you do, given that Cutler has not made that step forward after all these years, although he is paid like someone who has? If he has another less than stellar year, is he worth the extra guaranteed money? If I'm running The Bears, I think about landing (moving up a bit if necessary) Mariota if the draft goes according to what many experts think. Why not give yourself a potentially bright future by getting one of the 2 best QBs in the draft, while working to fix the D?

Fox doesn't like rookies:P

CoryWinget81
03-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Build a stout defense and let cutler get his Farve on.

Bad Jay will lose you a few games but you'll get at least half of a total season of Good Jay.

CanDB
03-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Oh Oh.......report says Philly and Chicago interested in Kaepernick. Does that mean Jay will get his gitch in a nitch......again?

Whatever.

CanDB
03-11-2015, 12:51 PM
So The Bears are committing to Jay. The truth is more likely that no one else was up for the challenge, which means he was too hard to deal.

As we have discussed, The Bears need a D makeover. But they are foolish if they do not draft a QB or make a move to get one. They have made their bed with Cutler, and good luck to them. Losing Marshall was not exactly a great move in my books, albeit he was a bit of a nuisance to some, especially with his New York show. From a very specific point of view, I think Marshall had a lot of value for The Bears, whereas Jay can be all over the place.

Maybe their plan is to finish low, and get a high pick in '16.

Maybe they don't have a plan?????

CanDB
03-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Hmmmm.....here's a tweet from Ian Rapoport:

On Jay Cutler: I spoke with as many QB-needy teams as I could to see if #Bears GM Ryan Pace tried to trade Cutler. None said he did.

Not even sure what this means relative to what The Bears were strategizing.

Did he think they were all going to come and beg him?

Peerless
03-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Cutler was never going anywhere. Not with that contract.

bears6385
03-13-2015, 05:45 PM
So The Bears are committing to Jay. The truth is more likely that no one else was up for the challenge, which means he was too hard to deal.

As we have discussed, The Bears need a D makeover. But they are foolish if they do not draft a QB or make a move to get one. They have made their bed with Cutler, and good luck to them. Losing Marshall was not exactly a great move in my books, albeit he was a bit of a nuisance to some, especially with his New York show. From a very specific point of view, I think Marshall had a lot of value for The Bears, whereas Jay can be all over the place.

Maybe their plan is to finish low, and get a high pick in '16.

Maybe they don't have a plan?????In the end the Bears had to keep Cutler for the 2015 season.
1) Cutler could not be traded. No team was willing to take on that contract.

2) Could not cut Cutler. No way the Bears could take a 19.5 Mill. cap hit.

3) Who else but Cutler? He was a better option than anyone else in free agency, and there is no one in this draft that the Bears could get who could come in and be a rookie starter. I do think that the Bears will draft a QB with potential that Gase can work with for a year or two.

As for Cutler there is actually a template for him being a successful QB in Chicago. The team has to go back to what it did best in 2010 and 2011. The offense was balanced, 48% run 52% pass, with a strong running game where Cutler able to manage the game while taking a few deep shots per game to Hester/Knox. Also a strong defense so the Bears could play a field position game. In those years, on the field with alot less talent than the Bears currently have on offense Cutler was 17-8 as a starting QB.

CanDB
03-13-2015, 06:09 PM
In the end the Bears had to keep Cutler for the 2015 season.

3) Who else but Cutler? He was a better option than anyone else in free agency, and there is no one in this draft that the Bears could get who could come in and be a rookie starter. I do think that the Bears will draft a QB with potential that Gase can work with for a year or two.

As for Cutler there is actually a template for him being a successful QB in Chicago. The team has to go back to what it did best in 2010 and 2011. The offense was balanced, 48% run 52% pass, with a strong running game where Cutler able to manage the game while taking a few deep shots per game to Hester/Knox. Also a strong defense so the Bears could play a field position game. In those years, on the field with alot less talent than the Bears currently have on offense Cutler was 17-8 as a starting QB.

The bolded statement is what's missing, along with Devon Hester's "one play away from pay dirt" capability. Without those components, it's going to take a lot more than a balanced O in my opinion.

baphamet
03-14-2015, 10:51 AM
In the end the Bears had to keep Cutler for the 2015 season.

totally agree on every point, question is....can you guys get cutler to stop being a gun slinger and start making better decisions with the football?

bears6385
03-14-2015, 01:55 PM
totally agree on every point, question is....can you guys get cutler to stop being a gun slinger and start making better decisions with the football?It takes strong leadership starting with the HC. Fox/Gase seem to have those qualties. We already know that the Bears in 2015 will be a run first team taking the ball somewhat out of Cutler's hand. Time will tell, but this new FO and coaching staff have no long term commitment to Jay, and he knows it.

bears6385
03-14-2015, 02:15 PM
The bolded statement is what's missing, along with Devon Hester's "one play away from pay dirt" capability. Without those components, it's going to take a lot more than a balanced O in my opinion.This I know, Last two years this D has been beyond horrible the good news is Vic Fangio may be the best DC in the league. Our hope is that we can bring in enough defensive help in free agency, the draft, and a few players currently on the team that will make a difference next year. Fangio took over a defense in SF that was bottom third of the league in 2010. and had them up to #4 in the league in 2011 without a whole lot of changes to personnel. Hope is he can do the same in Chicago. So far McPhee, and Rolle are free agent fits.

CanDB
03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
This I know, Last two years this D has been beyond horrible the good news is Vic Fangio may be the best DC in the league. Our hope is that we can bring in enough defensive help in free agency, the draft, and a few players currently on the team that will make a difference next year. Fangio took over a defense in SF that was bottom third of the league in 2010. and had them up to #4 in the league in 2011 without a whole lot of changes to personnel. Hope is he can do the same in Chicago. So far McPhee, and Rolle are free agent fits.

All the best to you! I know your Bears will be better, partly because they never looked worse on D. But yes, good things can come about through staff changes, and with the right combo of coaching, systems, players. Big improvements can be made in short order.

CanDB
03-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Yikes, even some players are committed to Jay.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479162/article/matt-slauson-jay-cutler-can-be-an-elite-qb

Bears general manager Ryan Pace said last week that Chicago is "moving forward" with Jay Cutler under center, an announcement that certainly pleased offensive lineman Matt Slauson.

"I have every confidence in (Cutler) -- his ability, his intelligence," Slauson recently told WGN radio. "The guy can be the best in the league. We just have to do a better job, as a team, supporting him. We didn't do a very good job of that last year."

Slauson wasn't finished heaping praise on his up-and-down passer, framing the 31-year-old Cutler as a Hall of Famer in waiting.

"Jay can be every bit of a Tom Brady, a Peyton Manning, an Aaron Rodgers," Slauson said. "He can be them, if not more."

Where do we begin? Our friend Slauson has boarded a rocket ship into the bizarre, taking us to new frontiers of insane offseason hype.

Cutler is a physically talented but ultimately frustrating passer who has Bears fans eternally resting on the cusp of sanity. Brady, Manning and Rodgers rest in a different sphere -- and always will.

~~~~~~~

I guess I could be every bit of a Tom Brady, a Peyton Manning, an Aaron Rodgers, if not more...just need a few things to get me there. ;)

Either Slauson is looking for points, or in fact, is the greatest support one could ask for! Maybe a bit of both. Hey, at least he's not trashing or throwing under the bus, or ready to jump ship like some folks do.

brianmcfarlane
03-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Slauson is too optimistic with his comparing to those QB's but ... Cutler DOES have the physical tools to get it done for Chicago. This last season's win/loss record was certainly the fault of a terrible defense. Chicago hasn't actually had a QB that was better (statistically) in decades - if ever ... with his dead money vs. on roster cap # Chicago doesn't have a better option at QB this year either. I've always liked Cutler as a QB (I don't know him personally :P) he still has a chance to make the Bears a competitive team. One problem this next season is the competition in the NFC north, not going to be easy. It will be interesting but I'm not putting my money on the Bears to win the NFC north in 2015.

bears6385
03-17-2015, 04:57 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479162/article/matt-slauson-jay-cutler-can-be-an-elite-qb

Bears general manager Ryan Pace said last week that Chicago is "moving forward" with Jay Cutler under center, an announcement that certainly pleased offensive lineman Matt Slauson.

"I have every confidence in (Cutler) -- his ability, his intelligence," Slauson recently told WGN radio. "The guy can be the best in the league. We just have to do a better job, as a team, supporting him. We didn't do a very good job of that last year."

Slauson wasn't finished heaping praise on his up-and-down passer, framing the 31-year-old Cutler as a Hall of Famer in waiting.

"Jay can be every bit of a Tom Brady, a Peyton Manning, an Aaron Rodgers," Slauson said. "He can be them, if not more."

Where do we begin? Our friend Slauson has boarded a rocket ship into the bizarre, taking us to new frontiers of insane offseason hype.

Cutler is a physically talented but ultimately frustrating passer who has Bears fans eternally resting on the cusp of sanity. Brady, Manning and Rodgers rest in a different sphere -- and always will.

~~~~~~~

I guess I could be every bit of a Tom Brady, a Peyton Manning, an Aaron Rodgers, if not more...just need a few things to get me there. ;)

Either Slauson is looking for points, or in fact, is the greatest support one could ask for! Maybe a bit of both. Hey, at least he's not trashing or throwing under the bus, or ready to jump ship like some folks do.Actually Cutler has never been a problem in the locker room with his teammates. Where he is lacking is his team leadership, and his decision making on the field. I don't agree with Slauson's choice of QB's to compare Jay to, but I understand where he is coming from as a good teammate. Similer positive comments have come from Forte, Long, and Bennett. He has also gotten support this offseason from '85 Bears Dan Hampton and Steve Fuller. As bad as last year was Cutler never once threw a teammate under the bus, unlike what the coaching staff did to him.

Rancid
03-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Actually Cutler has never been a problem in the locker room with his teammates. Where he is lacking is his team leadership, and his decision making on the field. I don't agree with Slauson's choice of QB's to compare Jay to, but I understand where he is coming from as a good teammate. Similer positive comments have come from Forte, Long, and Bennett. He has also gotten support this offseason from '85 Bears Dan Hampton and Steve Fuller. As bad as last year was Cutler never once threw a teammate under the bus, unlike what the coaching staff did to him.

Where he is lacking is he throws the ball to the guys not in Bears' uniforms too often; maybe he is color blind?

CanDB
03-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Where he is lacking is he throws the ball to the guys not in Bears' uniforms too often; maybe he is color blind?

Time for an optometrist......maybe Jay can pay for one with some of that bonus money.;)

AC1
03-18-2015, 09:45 AM

~~~~~~~

Either Slauson is looking for points, or in fact, is the greatest support one could ask for! Maybe a bit of both. Hey, at least he's not trashing or throwing under the bus, or ready to jump ship like some folks do.

What Slauson realizes that others don't is that situations matter as much as talent. Brady and Rodgers would not be Brady and Rodgers if they did not have terrific situations go into. Brady would have been just another 6th rounder that did not pan out and Rodgers might have been lucky to have Alex Smith's career if SF had picked him #1 overall. Heck, if Elway hadn't encountered Shanahan in his second season, he and not Jeff George would have been the poster child for squandered talent. I still believe that had Shanahan not been needlessly fired, Cutler would have reached those heights. Manning is possibly the one guy that would have been successful no matter what. But he is a once-in-a-lifetime case and possibly the greatest QB of all time.

Research shows us that situations matter. Malcolm Gladwell does a great job of making this accessible to laypeople in Outliers. Slauson is likely a well-read guy. The "support" argument he makes is a very intelligent one, maybe too intelligent for the average football fan.

CanDB
03-18-2015, 10:48 AM
What Slauson realizes that others don't is that situations matter as much as talent. Brady and Rodgers would not be Brady and Rodgers if they did not have terrific situations go into. Brady would have been just another 6th rounder that did not pan out and Rodgers might have been lucky to have Alex Smith's career if SF had picked him #1 overall. Heck, if Elway hadn't encountered Shanahan in his second season, he and not Jeff George would have been the poster child for squandered talent. I still believe that had Shanahan not been needlessly fired, Cutler would have reached those heights. Manning is possibly the one guy that would have been successful no matter what. But he is a once-in-a-lifetime case and possibly the greatest QB of all time.

Research shows us that situations matter. Malcolm Gladwell does a great job of making this accessible to laypeople in Outliers. Slauson is likely a well-read guy. The "support" argument he makes is a very intelligent one, maybe too intelligent for the average football fan.

Cmon AC......I think the average fan sees this thing pretty clearly. It is not rocket science. Same results different cast? HCs and OCs losing their jobs? I have a theory however, that does take Jay's side. I will formulate it later. It doesn't mean I think Jay would be a great QB, but I will give him some benefit of the doubt.