PDA

View Full Version : Bears Trade Brandon Marshall to Jets

CanDB
03-05-2015, 01:46 PM
I see The Bears are thinking about trading Brandon Marshall, a move that may best be described as cleaning up the locker room. Not sure how valid this is, but if it has any realistic truth behind it, AND The Bears are still weighing into the future of Jay Cutler......well, makes McD look a lot smarter than we thought!;)

Hey, the dude has another SB ring, and is being considered for HC jobs again.

Just sayin.....:D

broncoslover115
03-05-2015, 03:06 PM
I see The Bears are thinking about trading Brandon Marshall, a move that may best be described as cleaning up the locker room. Not sure how valid this is, but if it has any realistic truth behind it, AND The Bears are still weighing into the future of Jay Cutler......well, makes McD look a lot smarter than we thought!;)

Hey, the dude has another SB ring, and is being considered for HC jobs again.

Just sayin.....:D

Hmmm, you think BMarsh is a problem in the locker room? Interesting. Everything I ever hear about him is that he's a model citizen and has completely changed his life around. He always seems so positive on the show he does on NFL Network.

I hope he hasnt reverted back to his crazy ways. I love the guy. Oh well.

fallforward3y+
03-05-2015, 05:36 PM
McDaniels seems good in his role with NE, he may be one of those guys that should stick to his role and not try to be a head coach again. It kind of reminds me of Cam Cameron, great offensive coordinator, but not great as a head coach imo. Of course, he didn't inherit a great Broncos team, I think sometimes coaches get overblamed for things.

I wonder what they may get for Marshall. If they get some defensive players, it could work out well for them. They probably will need a big revamping to become a contending team, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Fox is seemingly a defensive minded coach, maybe he can help with that, a long with bringing in a good defensive coordinator. The Bears and Falcons imo show you what you get when you have the 'aggressive' offense that many fans seem to wish their teams have. A lot of old school Bears fans probably can't stand watching the Bears nowadays, with their reputation for defense.

CanDB
03-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, you think BMarsh is a problem in the locker room? Interesting. Everything I ever hear about him is that he's a model citizen and has completely changed his life around. He always seems so positive on the show he does on NFL Network.

I hope he hasnt reverted back to his crazy ways. I love the guy. Oh well.

I don't know that he is that bad of a locker room guy, but some think he is. He does have a likeable side to him. Maybe they don't want him flying to the show he appears on.

Rancid
03-05-2015, 06:16 PM
According to his website: http://thebrandonmarshall.com/landscape.html he claims to have had some mental health issues related to anger management. Apparently he took it seriously and set up a charity for the cause.

CanDB
03-05-2015, 06:20 PM
McDaniels seems good in his role with NE, he may be one of those guys that should stick to his role and not try to be a head coach again. It kind of reminds me of Cam Cameron, great offensive coordinator, but not great as a head coach imo. Of course, he didn't inherit a great Broncos team, I think sometimes coaches get overblamed for things.

I wonder what they may get for Marshall. If they get some defensive players, it could work out well for them. They probably will need a big revamping to become a contending team, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Fox is seemingly a defensive minded coach, maybe he can help with that, a long with bringing in a good defensive coordinator. The Bears and Falcons imo show you what you get when you have the 'aggressive' offense that many fans seem to wish their teams have. A lot of old school Bears fans probably can't stand watching the Bears nowadays, with their reputation for defense.

I agree.....McDaniels may be built to be a successful OC. One thing none of us can deny, he seems to have complete respect from Belichick and Brady, and they are probably not easy to please.

As for The Bears, it sounds like they are interested in other receivers - Hartline, maybe Cobb, probably others. But yes, they are not The Bears of old, as their D has become an embarrassment. I could see them spending a lot of money / draft picks on D this offseason. I still think Jay is way over-priced, but hey, if they want to lose their jobs backing him, they are entitled to do so. But that $10M on March 12th is a big wrench in the machinery. At $15.5 annual salary it's bad enough, but the one time bonus is almost an insult, in terms of paying for lack of production/leadership.

CanDB
03-05-2015, 06:29 PM
FTR, here's some of the NFL.com report:

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the Bears are exploring a potential trade of the talented wide receiver, according to a source informed of the team's plans. The effort to move Marshall is an attempt by new general manager Ryan Pace and coach John Fox to "clean up the locker room," according to Rapoport.

Marshall signed a four-year contract with the Bears last May, but appears to have fallen out of favor with the team following a 2014 season in which he was outspoken with the press and on social media and was involved in a well-publicized locker room incident during the season.

fallforward3y+
03-05-2015, 06:30 PM
I agree.....McDaniels may be built to be a successful OC. One thing none of us can deny, he seems to have complete respect from Belichick and Brady, and they are probably not easy to please.

As for The Bears, it sounds like they are interested in other receivers - Hartline, maybe Cobb, probably others. But yes, they are not The Bears of old, as their D has become an embarrassment. I could see them spending a lot of money / draft picks on D this offseason. I still think Jay is way over-priced, but hey, if they want to lose their jobs backing him, they are entitled to do so. But that $10M on March 12th is a big wrench in the machinery. At $15.5 annual salary it's bad enough, but the one time bonus is almost an insult, in terms of paying for lack of production/leadership.

He is overpriced, I agree. I think that his erratic playing style may hurt him in playing with Hartline. Jay can be great on a good day, but bad on a bad day, and he usually has bad days against the Packers which is a problem. He seems like a big play happy QB, and Hartline I believe is more of a possession type receiver. I'm forseeing some incompletions or ints, when Hartline was in good position to catch a pass for a first down. It's my biggest problem with Kaep, in certain ways Kaep and Cutler are a lot alike imo.

captainbronco
03-05-2015, 11:51 PM
i would too guy is a hell of a talent but a cancer in the locker room

assassin216
03-06-2015, 09:03 AM

Please tell me how he's a cancer....

Justblaze2729
03-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Headed to the jets pending physical

ELWAY421
03-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Looks like he's headed to the Jets if he passes his physical.

broncoslover115
03-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Pending physical. No link yet, per Adam Schfter. Unbelievable! They should have traded the real problem - Cutler!

ELWAY421
03-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Now all the Jets need is a QB to get B Marsh the ball.

munoz1987
03-06-2015, 09:30 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12432188/chicago-bears-trade-brandon-marshall-new-york-jets

Percy Harvin Available? At the right price i'd take him.

FrostySeamus
03-06-2015, 09:41 AM
No thanks. If they gave us a pick to take Harvin off their hands I might consider it.

dizzolve
03-06-2015, 09:45 AM
There MUST be more to this than is reported.

Like the reports say, Marshall's gig 'Inside The NFL' probably is part of it. Also, the Cutler Marshall relationship is part of it. The relationship with Gase and his crew might also have something to do with it. And of course money is always part of it.

Seeing Marshall ejected makes me think that Cutler is probably going to be sticking around. But heck, with Fox up there and Gase with history with Cutler too - maybe they know well enough to just cut ties before they develop a relationship.

Money might actually keep them from ejecting Cutler ironically. His price tag is so high, CHI might be forced to just eat that contract. Eat it and play him or eat and sit/waive him. Fox dropped out of the fire and into the frying pan up there in Chicago.

BroncoFanBoy
03-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Pending physical. No link yet, per Adam Schfter. Unbelievable! They should have traded the real problem - Cutler!

Who'd take that contract? Nobody.

dizzolve
03-06-2015, 09:49 AM

This used to be the case. Maybe he's relapsed. We can't know. But the past few years have been productive and trouble-free as far as we can all tell.

I would welcome a player with the kind of Passion Marshall plays with. The problem is there's no room for receiver on this team the way the WR depth chart is set up right now. Unless one of our high profile receivers is let go or traded there just isn't room for another receiver on his squad right now

Mel B.
03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Who'd take that contract? Nobody.

Teams with plenty of cap space and in need of a #1 WR...

...the Jets are one of those teams.

FlowdaBroncoFan
03-06-2015, 09:55 AM
No thanks to Harvin. He is moving around to much. Something must be wrong with him. Attitude...

58 broncomaniac
03-06-2015, 09:57 AM
No thanks. If they gave us a pick to take Harvin off their hands I might consider it.

They would have to give us a pick and pay his salary for me to want that locker room cancer

TH3JUICEMAN
03-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Damn, great trade. This will allow the jets to dump Percy. BMarsh opposite Decker? Legit receiving corp in NY

BroncoFanBoy
03-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Teams with plenty of cap space and in need of a #1 WR...

...the Jets are one of those teams.

I was talking about Cutler. The post I quoted asked why they didn't trade him instead.

broncoslover115
03-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Damn, great trade. This will allow the jets to dump Percy. BMarsh opposite Decker? Legit receiving corp in NY

Yeah, if only they had a QB though.

I gotta say, I'm getting a little irritated by the characterization of BMarsh today. Analysts like Cris Carter, Tedy Bruschi and others are painting him as a locker room problem, volatile, and that he made a mistake taking that gig on Inside the NFL. They were saying that by doing that he is saying he doesn't put his all into his football career. Seriously? When has Brandon Marshall ever not produced on the field? He always has been a guy ready to play. Almost the opposite if you ask me; always wanting the ball and wanting to be on the field.

I think he was right to call out the team for playing like garbage. Someone needed to do it. Jay Cutler certainly isn't a leader enough to say their product was unacceptable. Jay Cutler is the cancer in that locker room. He's a drain on the team and you just need to look at that sad, eyore face to know it.

Now, Brandon can get overly excited and emotional, but he is nowhere near the guy he used to be. He's a guy who changed his life drastically and I have been impressed and proud of him. I can't stand when people then turn around and start to semi-trash a guy's character when they get traded or cut. The Eagles did this with DeSean Jackson last year and it was not warranted.

broncoslover115
03-06-2015, 10:31 AM
This used to be the case. Maybe he's relapsed. We can't know. But the past few years have been productive and trouble-free as far as we can all tell.

I would welcome a player with the kind of Passion Marshall plays with. The problem is there's no room for receiver on this team the way the WR depth chart is set up right now. Unless one of our high profile receivers is let go or traded there just isn't room for another receiver on his squad right now

Exactly, that's what I just posted too.

LegionOfVonDoom
03-06-2015, 10:45 AM
got fooled yesterday that he was traded to the Chargers, so i had to verify this again lol. Thanks for the info OP.

I am also on the boat as to say no to Harvin.

Dov Kleiman ‏@NFL_RealUpdates 26m26 minutes ago

#Jets are sending a 5th round pick to the #Bears in exchange of WR Brandon Marshall, per @AlbertBreer

Just a 5th round pick wow.

Mel B.
03-06-2015, 10:52 AM
I was talking about Cutler. The post I quoted asked why they didn't trade him instead.

Oh my fault.

But yeah the Bears were fools for giving Cutler that big of a contract to begin with.

Dennis.1960
03-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Live near Seattle so heard every little news scrap about Harvin's entire time as a Seahawk. If a team that can deal with Marshawn Lynch's bizarre attitude issues decides Harvin is too much drama for their locker room, he must be a serious distraction. I'd pass :salute:

Thors Hammer
03-06-2015, 11:38 AM
It will be interesting come draft time if Mariota is available when the Jets pick at #6. Do they take him, or do they go for the rumored trade with Philly for Nick Foles and a boatload of picks?

JayJack
03-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Good for Brandon. Now he can wear green all the time for mental health.......AND NO, I'M NOT TRYING TO BE FUNNY.

captainbronco
03-06-2015, 12:11 PM

Read what canDB posted

LSIGRAD09
03-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Sorry bro, B Marsh has been an upstanding citizen for a while now. Yet people continue to judge him for things he did in Miami & Denver. Watch A Football life, The Brandon Marshall story. Save the judging for god.

I still don't think many have a good grasp on his situation.I believe people fail to understand mental issues, especially bipolar disease.

TH3JUICEMAN
03-06-2015, 01:28 PM
You can have your mental illness in-check and still be a cancer in the locker room, just saying.

And I believe he has borderline personality d/o, not bipolar.

dizzolve
03-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Part of this move might have to do with his media job with Inside the NFL which shoots in NYC if I heard correctly.

There were talks about how it might be an issue for him to do Inside the NFL while being a Bear because he'd have to fly out there to shoot. Well working in NYC now sort makes that moot -maybe

From what I've heard the trade had as much to do with Marshall wanting out as the coaches -if not more

captainbronco
03-06-2015, 01:35 PM
No one is saying he hasn't turned it around and matured off the field. The locker room cancer is a valid concern, but in no way means he isn't an upstanding citizen.

Every report out of Chicago this year says he caused problems in the locker room and rubbed many teammates the wrong way.

I didnt say anything about him as a citizen i said locker toom cancer meaning football related sorry for the confusion

ELWAY421
03-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Or maybe his teammates are a bit too sensitive. Calling out your teamates in the privacy in their own locker room is hardly cancerous! How many times have we seen Manning call his players out during games? Let me guess that okay though. This stuff goes on in every locker room in the NFl. The trade was more about money than anything else. Marshall did inside the NFL every week and still put forth more effort than most of his teammates.

Just saying.

dizzolve
03-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Part of this move might have to do with his media job with Inside the NFL which shoots in NYC if I heard correctly.

There were talks about how it might be an issue for him to do Inside the NFL while being a Bear because he'd have to fly out there to shoot. Well working in NYC now sort makes that moot -maybe

From what I've heard the trade had as much to do with Marshall wanting out as the coaches -if not more

NFL players know, too, that their careers are not for long. No matter how negative Marshall has been reported to be in the locker room, you have to admit that when he's on TV -his big smile and personable demeanor are tailor made for a career in media.

This Inside the NFL job might be just as important to him as the final years as a player. Especially as he gets older and is probably now closer to the end than the beginning.

fallforward3y+
03-06-2015, 01:53 PM
I didnt say anything about him as a citizen i said locker toom cancer meaning football related sorry for the confusion

It's hard to really know those things I guess. However, I do believe it's true that just because a guy seems like an upstanding citizen doesn't mean that he isn't a locker room cancer. Sometimes, it seems people unleash their 'nasty' side in one particular venue. An example may be a boss that is likeable to most people, however not to their employees, perhaps someone who is nice to most people except for the people they live with-spouse, children, parents or etc. Some guys may be nice outside of work, however not nice to co-workers.

Maybe Marshall was bad for the locker room, maybe he wasn't. People shouldn't act like they know either way imo unless they've seen it.

Den615
03-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Or maybe his teammates are a bit too sensitive. Calling out your teamates in the privacy in their own locker room is hardly cancerous! How many times have we seen Manning call his players out during games? Let me guess that okay though. This stuff goes on in every locker room in the NFl. The trade was more about money than anything else. Marshall did inside the NFL every week and still put forth more effort than most of his teammates.

Just saying.

His teammates were critical of him for only calling out teammates and addressing the locker room when he knew the cameras were on him.

Tony Pashos
‏@BigGreek79
BMarshall out? Who is gonna make the post game speeches when cameras r on now? Who's gonna tell evry1 what they need 2 do?

Tony Pashos @BigGreek79 4h 4 hours ago
Every Bears player suddenly feels better about next year and their hard work matters again. 1 down 1 more 2 go.

Tony Pashos @BigGreek79 3h 3 hours ago
If the Bears kept key veterans like Kreutz and Urlacher 2 shutup divas, cheaper than firing GM, 2HC's, 4 OC's and Cutler's contract.

I'm a big Brandon Marshall fan and am thrilled his legal issues are behind him, but he still can be a problem for a team. There is a reason he has been traded three times. He has had remarkable production wherever he has played, yet each time he is traded for significantly less compensation. There is a reason for that.

fallforward3y+
03-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Just saying.

I would say it depends on how he goes about it. Criticism comes with the job, however if it isn't done in a constructive way it likely won't help very much, and team mates are supposed to help each other imo. I think one key is, is he actually suggesting how they could get better or is he just venting off at them. That, and does he take accountability for when he messes up, if not he'd essentially be a hypocrite imo, TO was like that I believe.

It's hard to say really how he was in the locker room, but it seems presumptious to assume they're making up that he was a locker room cancer. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't.

ELWAY421
03-06-2015, 02:06 PM
His teammates were critical of him for only calling out teammates and addressing the locker room when he knew the cameras were on him.

I'm a big Brandon Marshall fan and am thrilled his legal issues are behind him, but he still can be a problem for a team. There is a reason he has been traded three times. He has had remarkable production wherever he has played, yet each time he is traded for significantly less compensation. There is a reason for that.

And? Someone needed to address them. It wasn't gonna be Cutler & obviously it wasn't the coaches. BM leaves all out on the field for the most part, but apparently his teammates weren't. Like I said we've seen Peyton rip players on the sideline on multiple occasions, but since it's BM & he has a past he's a cancer? Sorry I'm not buying it. The trade was more about money.

Den615
03-06-2015, 02:13 PM
And? Someone needed to address them. It wasn't gonna be Cutler & obviously it wasn't the coaches. BM leaves all out on the field for the most part, but apparently his teammates weren't. Like I said we've seen Peyton rip players on the sideline on multiple occasions, but since it's BM & he has a past he's a cancer? Sorry I'm not buying it. The trade was more about money.

Believe what you will, but the evidence speaks for itself.

ELWAY421
03-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah, the evidence is overwhelming lol...

Spice 1
03-06-2015, 02:24 PM
It's starting to look like Brandon Marshall may end his career w/o having ever participated in a playoff game.

broncoslover115
03-06-2015, 02:26 PM

I gotta agree with you. I understand that those with borderline personality disorder have bouts where they have emotional regulation issues and need time to move away from the triggering incident to decompress. To those around him it can be viewed as volatile or as others have put it, a locker room cancer.

While I don't know what happened in there, I really hate this kind of characterization assassination by the media. It's very easy to continue to adopt the same narrative about someone without digging deeper to see what really is going on or see the full picture. The Eagles did this to DeSean Jackson last year as well and it's just not OK.

Brandon has worked his butt off to change his life and I am very proud of the work he has done to do so. Is he perfect? No. Will he still struggle with his disorder? Yes. I just wish these sports people, and by proxy, sports fans, stop assassinating players when they get cut or traded.

While someone pointed out that he's been traded before and that should tell us something as a validating factor; it should also tell us something about him that the coaches who he's going to play for now were coaches he had in Miami and they want him back. That should say something too.

ELWAY421
03-06-2015, 02:44 PM
I gotta agree with you. I understand that those with borderline personality disorder have bouts where they have emotional regulation issues and need time to move away from the triggering incident to decompress. To those around him it can be viewed as volatile or as others have put it, a locker room cancer.

While I don't know what happened in there, I really hate this kind of characterization assassination by the media. It's very easy to continue to adopt the same narrative about someone without digging deeper to see what really is going on or see the full picture. The Eagles did this to DeSean Jackson last year as well and it's just not OK.

Brandon has worked his butt off to change his life and I am very proud of the work he has done to do so. Is he perfect? No. Will he still struggle with his disorder? Yes. I just wish these sports people, and by proxy, sports fans, stop assassinating players when they get cut or traded.

While someone pointed out that he's been traded before and that should tell us something as a validating factor; it should also tell us something about him that the coaches who he's going to play for now were coaches he had in Miami and they want him back. That should say something too.

Ive heard multiple reports today that the trade was about money and things of that nature. The reporters who are speculating otherwise should go work for tmz cause they're all about the drama. As well as the fans, these are the same fans that are fighting with these athletes all day via twitter. Get a life, lol. Everyone single person on this earth has issues and at least Brandon is attempting to conquer his.

Den615
03-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah, the evidence is overwhelming lol...

How is it not? No one is saying that Marshall is a bad guy or a problem off of the field. I for one am thrilled that he has his life in order. Heck, the 615 in my name are for Cutler and Marshall :laugh: :doh:

That being said, he has the personality type that can be divisive and detrimental in a locker room environment. Money was certainly a factor in his trade, but I think it is fair to speculate that the new coaching staff didn't want to risk Marshall becoming a problem.

HUMCALC
03-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Half of SEA's locker room loved him. His attitude was that he wanted the ball in his hands, and he was upset that they weren't utilizing him properly (which they weren't). Lynch is one of his best friends, and he almost quit after the trade. SEA got rid of him because they showed favoritism towards Baldwin, and he was po'ed

ELWAY421
03-06-2015, 03:20 PM
How is it not? No one is saying that Marshall is a bad guy or a problem off of the field. I for one am thrilled that he has his life in order. Heck, the 615 in my name are for Cutler and Marshall :laugh: :doh:

That being said, he has the personality type that can be divisive and detrimental in a locker room environment. Money was certainly a factor in his trade, but I think it is fair to speculate that the new coaching staff didn't want to risk Marshall becoming a problem.

This is a new coaching staff, they didn't sign Marshall or Cutler to those contracts. They're looking to fix what they think is wrong with the Bears. I think looking at a aging WR coming of a pretty serious injury and having another #1 WR in Jeffrey, well, what they did was logical. But to say he was a locker room cancer is just slander. None of us know, Fox doesn't even know, he wasn't there. He's just trying to make the Bears better in his way. If they're basing it off of BM confronting his teammates in the locker room because he can't stand losing that's weak imo. Nothing different than a player like Ray Lewis ever did or thousands of other players have done imo.

Den615
03-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Harvin is 26 years old and is about to be on his 4th team in three years. I'll pass.

Rancid
03-06-2015, 07:36 PM
When I was a kid, if you had a borderline personality disorder, you got spanked-- cleared it up every time.

captainbronco
03-06-2015, 07:37 PM
When I was a kid, if you had a borderline personality disorder, you got spanked-- cleared it up every time.

Although disorders arent funny. ..hhaha worked for me

bears6385
03-07-2015, 03:02 PM
There MUST be more to this than is reported.

Like the reports say, Marshall's gig 'Inside The NFL' probably is part of it. Also, the Cutler Marshall relationship is part of it. The relationship with Gase and his crew might also have something to do with it. And of course money is always part of it.

Seeing Marshall ejected makes me think that Cutler is probably going to be sticking around. But heck, with Fox up there and Gase with history with Cutler too - maybe they know well enough to just cut ties before they develop a relationship.

Money might actually keep them from ejecting Cutler ironically. His price tag is so high, CHI might be forced to just eat that contract. Eat it and play him or eat and sit/waive him. Fox dropped out of the fire and into the frying pan up there in Chicago.This is a big part of why Marshall got traded. Pace/Fox both wanted Marshall to not do the Inside the NFL gig.............he refused, and now he is a Jet, after three years his act did ware thin with a number of teammates, but not all. Gotta say I am torn on this one loved him between the white lines, but if he did not want to be part of the program he had to move on.

Jermz79
03-09-2015, 10:03 AM

This is a classless post and you should be ashamed for making it.

As a father of a young child who has been diagnosed on the spectrum, it's thinking like this that has set the Advancement of the Mental Disability community back years behind what it should be. It's sad that there are people out there that still have this train of thought like "oh, your child doesn't have a disability, they are just out of control, you should spank them" and everything will go away ... because let me tell you ... it doesn't!!

I applaud Marshall for seeking his treatment and bringing it into the spotlight so that people with your mentality can begin to understand that people who are diagnosed with these disorders cannot control themselves, cannot make rational decisions and more often than not end up as another suicide statistic because they were afraid of being labled in today's society!

CheyennePress
03-10-2015, 08:31 PM

He has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. This is characterized by chaotic interpersonal relationships, constantly pitting one individual against another, and being prone to bahaving in extreme manners to avoid feeling jilted--marked by envy. It's not something you can biologically "fix" with medication. It takes A LOT of work to move beyond. Possible, but many take years to get much better.

Outside of anti-social personality disorder, I can't think of another diagnosis I would want to keep out of my locker room more than that one.

CheyennePress
03-10-2015, 08:43 PM

More likely to cause it than cure it. Most borderlines were abused and neglected.

dizzolve
03-10-2015, 09:30 PM
If trading away an 'aggressive' player is a 'win' in Chicago's book, maybe that's why John Fox hasn't won a Superbowl yet.

If there's anything us Bronco fans have learned these past few years it's this: you need warriors on your football team if you expect to win it all. You gotta have guys that want to fight. They want the challenge. And they will challenge each other. If they moved Marshall because of these traits, they're just getting softer up there. You need guys like Marshall on your team.

Granted there will be some give and take. But if you get rid of all the 'problem players' you lose a lot of heart. Elway doesn't want guys who'll go down without kicking and screaming. You're not gonna get that from someone who's been brought up in the perfect environment, who's always been loved, who's lived without ever 'needing' anything or anyone.

This is no knock on those lucky few have lucked into such an upbringing. In fact those types bring some strengths of their own. The perfect team has a blend of the rough n tumble types with the straight arrow stoic types and everything in between. Denver has been leaning more toward the benevolent live and let live players but hopefully this Kubiak era brings back some edge and personality to the Denver Broncos. We need another Romo. And Brian Dawkins was one of the masters of this - he was straight n stoic till he got on the field, then he turned into an animal. We need another Atwater. Even a Joe Mays with all his shortcomings, brought a certain element to the game that was anything but benevolent.

All I'm getting at is, I bet Chicago is making a mistake IF theyre basing their decision to trade Marshall on personality.

assassin216
03-14-2015, 08:57 PM
He has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. This is characterized by chaotic interpersonal relationships, constantly pitting one individual against another, and being prone to bahaving in extreme manners to avoid feeling jilted--marked by envy. It's not something you can biologically "fix" with medication. It takes A LOT of work to move beyond. Possible, but many take years to get much better.

Outside of anti-social personality disorder, I can't think of another diagnosis I would want to keep out of my locker room more than that one.

My main problem is that when someone like Brandon Marshall tries get his life in order fans,coaches and GM's judge him from his past..How can people say,a person deserves a second chance when people keep bringing up their past..

Did he made some bad decision...yes

Did he made some mistakes ...yes

And yet people want to ignore that he's been clean for the most part,since he left Denver and Miami and yet want to call him a cancer...How is he a cancer when he was one of the few people who actually cared about winning and want to get a chance to win him a ring..It wasn't going to be Jay Cutler to open his mouth...sure wasn't going to be the head coaches and yet he's the bad guy for ripping his teammates who didn't care about winning,because if they did they wouldn't had gotten their last two head coaches fired.....

People on this board have zero problem when Manning ripped into Julius Thomas,this past season and yet have an issue when Brandon Marshall doesn't...that too me is hypocrisy.......I wish we had players like Brandon Marshall on this team,because maybe they would of won instead of quitting against Indy in the playoff game this past January...

dizzolve
03-14-2015, 09:56 PM
I agree Assassin

I still don't understand the move. Maybe Cutler and Marshall got to a point where they couldn't heal their relationship

Based on nfl.com, people around the league are scratching their heads about the Royal deal. It makes sense in some ways like how he and Cutler had a great season Royal's rook year. But for 10 million? Hey - congrats Royal. Bears fans..... this one could seriously blow up in your face. I guess Gase really wants that speedy slot guy in his system. And that should help Cutler, if he can learn the system and more importantly adhere to it's principles.

At the end of the day though, without being around the guy day in and day out, it's hard to know if they're making the right choice or not. Maybe CHI is just not going to take the chance despite Marshall's apparent progress regarding the personality issues. Royal for 10m though sheesh.

Marshall seems to be getting off on the right foot in NY http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479016/article/new-york-jets-brandon-marshall-praises-geno-smith

bears6385
03-15-2015, 08:27 AM
I agree Assassin

I still don't understand the move. Maybe Cutler and Marshall got to a point where they couldn't heal their relationship

Based on nfl.com, people around the league are scratching their heads about the Royal deal. It makes sense in some ways like how he and Cutler had a great season Royal's rook year. But for 10 million? Hey - congrats Royal. Bears fans..... this one could seriously blow up in your face. I guess Gase really wants that speedy slot guy in his system. And that should help Cutler, if he can learn the system and more importantly adhere to it's principles.

At the end of the day though, without being around the guy day in and day out, it's hard to know if they're making the right choice or not. Maybe CHI is just not going to take the chance despite Marshall's apparent progress regarding the personality issues. Royal for 10m though sheesh.

Marshall seems to be getting off on the right foot in NY http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479016/article/new-york-jets-brandon-marshall-praises-geno-smithOK, Marshell is no longer a Bear.........Could it be that with all the distractions the Bears were just ready to move on without him. What if the Bears first round pick at #7 is a wr White or Cooper. White/Cooper or an aging star coming off his worst season since his rookie year. Jeffery, White/Cooper, with Royal in the slot, not a bad wr group at all.

FL BRONCO
03-15-2015, 08:35 AM
Personally I think they just traded one of their best offensive players, and for cheap imo. Yep Marshall can be emotional, but he is a beast on the field and he puts his emotions into the game. I'm sure Marshall wasn't the only one emotional in that locker room last year. I know they have a problem with Jay's contract, but imo they traded one of their best offensive weapons and the problem is still on the team and in the locker room. Chicago will be interesting this year to say the least.

Spice 1
03-16-2015, 08:05 AM
My main problem is that when someone like Brandon Marshall tries get his life in order fans,coaches and GM's judge him from his past..How can people say,a person deserves a second chance when people keep bringing up their past..

Did he made some bad decision...yes

Did he made some mistakes ...yes

And yet people want to ignore that he's been clean for the most part,since he left Denver and Miami and yet want to call him a cancer...How is he a cancer when he was one of the few people who actually cared about winning and want to get a chance to win him a ring..It wasn't going to be Jay Cutler to open his mouth...sure wasn't going to be the head coaches and yet he's the bad guy for ripping his teammates who didn't care about winning,because if they did they wouldn't had gotten their last two head coaches fired.....

People on this board have zero problem when Manning ripped into Julius Thomas,this past season and yet have an issue when Brandon Marshall doesn't...that too me is hypocrisy.......I wish we had players like Brandon Marshall on this team,because maybe they would of won instead of quitting against Indy in the playoff game this past January...

I'm not as sure. If I were taking over a team, I'd be thinking, "Ok, we're married to Jay Cutler for the time being. Marshall has a condition and a history. How many wins exactly does having him on your team equate to?" I can easily see how someone can draw the conclusion that the risk isn't worth the reward.

We can sit here and talk about second chances and sentimentality, but the NFL is a business. I respect mental illness. To an even greater degree, I respect people who not only take responsibility and accept treatment for their illnesses, but help others as well. Marshall has done this, and I respect that.

Not everyone is as stand up as BMarsh has been. I have seen people us mental illness as a crutch, or an excuse for their behavior. One of my former best friends was diagnosed as Bipolar. He always seemed to have a bit of a hard time with his emotions. After his diagnosis, some of his behavior began to make more sense, and I became a little more lenient towards it. In the end though, he was just a selfish and dishonest person, bipolar or not. He never really cared about any of his friends, and he was a liar. The "woe is me" routine enabled by his diagnosis didn't do anything to "fix" those preexisting character flaws.

ELWAY421
03-16-2015, 11:22 AM
I'm not as sure. If I were taking over a team, I'd be thinking, "Ok, we're married to Jay Cutler for the time being. Marshall has a condition and a history. How many wins exactly does having him on your team equate to?" I can easily see how someone can draw the conclusion that the risk isn't worth the reward.

We can sit here and talk about second chances and sentimentality, but the NFL is a business. I respect mental illness. To an even greater degree, I respect people who not only take responsibility and accept treatment for their illnesses, but help others as well. Marshall has done this, and I respect that.

Not everyone is as stand up as BMarsh has been. I have seen people us mental illness as a crutch, or an excuse for their behavior. One of my former best friends was diagnosed as Bipolar. He always seemed to have a bit of a hard time with his emotions. After his diagnosis, some of his behavior began to make more sense, and I became a little more lenient towards it. In the end though, he was just a selfish and dishonest person, bipolar or not. He never really cared about any of his friends, and he was a liar. The "woe is me" routine enabled by his diagnosis didn't do anything to "fix" those preexisting character flaws.

I agree with everything you said, except Brandon hasn't done anything in the last few years that equates to being a distraction. It all boiled down to money imo, and then it was blown out of proportion, sprinkled with pure speculation. I like the fact that Brandon has kept relatively quite about it all as well. So for me, respect to B Marsh, and keep on fighting the good fight.