PDA

View Full Version : Knighton only signed for 4 mil?

trc1962
03-13-2015, 08:32 AM
I was surprised to see that the Redskins only gave Knighton 4 mil, could we not have offered him that amount? I figured he would get 8-10 mil and that why he was leaving. Haven't been able to keep up with free agency as been busy and just want input.

ebsoria
03-13-2015, 08:34 AM
No longer a Bronco, so moved to the correct place....

Dennis.1960
03-13-2015, 08:38 AM
No more pot roast on Sunday :sad:

58Miller
03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
This is how I imagine Terrance Knighton's road to Washington DC

1. Denver - Pot ROast: "I want $8 mil a year!" Elway: " We cant pay you that Terrance, go on the open market and find out what your value is"
Pot Roast: " Your going to be sorry!"

2. Oakland - Pot Roast: " I want $9 million a year!"
McKenzie: " How much do you weigh?"
Pot Roast: "370, but its all muscle"
McKenzie: "Will get back to you"

3. Chicago - Pot Roast: " I want $7 mil a year"
Fox: Ahhhhhhhh....... How much do you weigh?"
Pot Roast: "375, but I'm cutting out carbs and I should be around 360 real soon"
Fox: " Will get back to you"

4. Washington - Pot Roast: "I want 7 million a year!"
Snyder:" I'll give you $4 mil with a $2 million signing bonus"
Pot Roast: I'm out of here!"
Pot Roast Agent: " We have no other visits scheduled"
Pot Roast: I'll take it!"

Papa-pwn
03-13-2015, 09:31 AM
This is how I imagine Terrance Knighton's road to Washington DC

1. Denver - Pot ROast: "I want $8 mil a year!" Elway: " We cant pay you that Terrance, go on the open market and find out what your value is"
Pot Roast: " Your going to be sorry!"

2. Oakland - Pot Roast: " I want $9 million a year!"
McKenzie: " How much do you weigh?"
Pot Roast: "370, but its all muscle"
McKenzie: "Will get back to you"

3. Chicago - Pot Roast: " I want $7 mil a year"
Fox: Ahhhhhhhh....... How much do you weigh?"
Pot Roast: "375, but I'm cutting out carbs and I should be around 360 real soon"
Fox: " Will get back to you"

4. Washington - Pot Roast: "I want 7 million a year!"
Snyder:" I'll give you $4 mil with a $2 million signing bonus"
Pot Roast: I'm out of here!"
Pot Roast Agent: " We have no other visits scheduled"
Pot Roast: I'll take it!"

Seems about right, but apparently Denver and Oakland offered contracts around 4-5 years, 20-30 million, and Pot Roast said he was offended by those offers. Thus his statement a few days ago when he said those two teams were officially out of the running.

Glad he got a reality check. Players that have proven to be incapable of showing up to camp under 340lbs, out of shape, and unsuccessful in every defense but Del Rio's hardly see much money. Especially when they make as many stupid, value-killing comments as Knighton has.

"I want to stay in demver"

"I'm going wherever del rio goes"

"I'll take a hometown discount to stay in denver"

baphamet
03-13-2015, 09:35 AM
that was a steal, i wish the chargers would have got him for that cheap.

samparnell
03-13-2015, 09:40 AM
$4 million seems too much for a rotational player in Wade Phillips' D. I don't think he will be missed.

58Miller
03-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Seems about right, but apparently Denver and Oakland offered contracts around 4-5 years, 20-30 million, and Pot Roast said he was offended by those offers. Thus his statement a few days ago when he said those two teams were officially out of the running.

Glad he got a reality check. Players that have proven to be incapable of showing up to camp under 340lbs, out of shape, and unsuccessful in every defense but Del Rio's hardly see much money. Especially when they make as many stupid, value-killing comments as Knighton has.

"I want to stay in demver"

"I'm going wherever del rio goes"

"I'll take a hometown discount to stay in denver"
I didn't know he was offered those deals. "Pride before a fall". He shouldn't have burned any bridges, good chance he is worth even less playing on Washingtons defense that will probably get thrown on a lot with Romo & Dez, and Eli & Beckham in the division. I really liked Pot roast, but your right to much talk.

sybrite
03-13-2015, 10:10 AM
I guess I'll be hearing about him a lot on the local radio stations around my area now. All I can think is, "He is in for a real surprise here in DC." Redskins are a mess. It does provide for some very entertaining radio during my commutes though. In a way I feel bad, but I get so much enjoyment out of their misery here. They sign RG3 and they are all calling in about going to the Super Bowl. Two years and an ACL later, they can't stand him here anymore. He is too buddy buddy with the owner. He pretty much got Shanahan fired.

trc1962
03-13-2015, 10:39 AM
So it sounds like he thought he could get more on the open market than what the broncos offered him and that wasn't very true. The Broncos already signed another DT from KC so he had to move down the road. Redskins are a mess and he will not be on a team that vies for post season games. If I were a player I would want money, but stay on a winning team and not drag my family all over.

dizzolve
03-13-2015, 10:45 AM
I don't know the in's and out's of Wade Phillips defense but I thought I heard him say his upfront 3 are coached to penetrate as opposed to plug holes and anchor. So Wade needs a different type at nose it seems. In the old defense, even an overweight Knighton was able to do his job and not get pushed off his mark. Penetration require the ability to get skinny at times. Skinny and Pot Roast doesn't go in the same sentence.

Could be wrong though about Wade's style. Maybe nose just needs to be another big guy.

The presser I heard him talk about this stuff was in his introductory presser.

So, even if he was just as good as last season, Knighton's value might have gone down from Denver's perspective at the same time the Roast expected it to go up. Might just be a case of wrong place wrong time here in Denver.

Houshmazode
03-13-2015, 10:49 AM
I don't know the in's and out's of Wade Phillips defense but I thought I heard him say his upfront 3 are coached to penetrate as opposed to plug holes and anchor. So Wade needs a different type at nose it seems. In the old defense, even an overweight Knighton was able to do his job and not get pushed off his mark. Penetration require the ability to get skinny at times. Skinny and Pot Roast doesn't go in the same sentence.

Could be wrong though about Wade's style. Maybe nose just needs to be another big guy.

The presser I heard him talk about this stuff was in his introductory presser.

So, even if he was just as good as last season, Knighton's value might have gone down from Denver's perspective at the same time the Roast expected it to go up. Might just be a case of wrong place wrong time here in Denver.
Wade's used both types of players before in his defense, and we have some guys on the roster now that fit the mold of both and we may have a solid rotation even. Malik Jackson, Sylvester Williams and Marvin Austin can all play NT.

baphamet
03-13-2015, 12:50 PM
what are you guys talking about? he fits wades system as a NT perfectly. in the 3-4 you need your NT to demand double teams and be an un-movable object.

thats not to say TK is the only guy that can do it but he definitly fits the bill.

OurHouse
03-13-2015, 01:28 PM
what are you guys talking about? he fits wades system as a NT perfectly. in the 3-4 you need your NT to demand double teams and be an un-movable object.

thats not to say TK is the only guy that can do it but he definitly fits the bill.

TK is not a penetrating DT. He occupies space. Wade's system calls for a penetrating DT. He wouldn't be on the field most of the time anyway.

baphamet
03-13-2015, 01:36 PM
TK is not a penetrating DT. He occupies space. Wade's system calls for a penetrating DT. He wouldn't be on the field most of the time anyway.

i don't buy that, jamal williams was 6-3 350 lbs and he flourished in wades system full time.

dizzolve
03-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Either way I'm sure Wade would tailor his micro scheming based on the personnel available to him. If it was Pot Roast, he'd likely be asking different t hings than if t was Sly for instance............He did say something like that in a general sense in that same presser - go check it out

Rancid
03-13-2015, 03:35 PM

The NT's job is to command a double-Team. TK was perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupBixjjyZY

CanDB
03-13-2015, 04:33 PM
I'd have signed Knighton for $4M......he was a load against opponents. He was a run stuffer.

-Rod-
03-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Wade's system calls for what his players can do best. I believe he would rather have a large NT who is really good at occupying blockers than a lighter DT who looks average attacking a gap. Even with Knighton having weight issues and saying he would follow Del Rio, I am surprised Elway chose to pay a nobody/backup like Vance Walker $4 million for 2 years instead of paying Knighton $4 million in 2015. Knighton was a team captain and the players wanted him back, so maybe Knighton was an important piece in the locker room, especially with the severe lack of leadership on the roster. He has 12.5 career sacks, so he could become more of a pass rusher playing only one gap instead of two.

baphamet
03-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Wade's system calls for what his players can do best. I believe he would rather have a large NT who is really good at occupying blockers than a lighter DT who looks average attacking a gap. Even with Knighton having weight issues and saying he would follow Del Rio, I am surprised Elway chose to pay a nobody/backup like Vance Walker $4 million for 2 years instead of paying Knighton $4 million in 2015. Knighton was a team captain and the players wanted him back, so maybe Knighton was an important piece in the locker room, especially with the severe lack of leadership on the roster. He has 12.5 career sacks, so he could become more of a pass rusher playing only one gap instead of two.

yeah something is odd about that, i'm pissed my team didn't get him for that price either, it's a pretty big need for us right now.