PDA

View Full Version : Should every official NFL ball to be entered into play be facsimile?

dizzolve
05-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Should QB's be allowed to go through this strange process of roughing balls up and trying to break them in and get them to a certain tack to their liking? Or should these footballs be OFFICIAL. No one gets to tamper with the balls at all. You just have to play with them out of the box?

Let me just suggest that if you decide all balls should be the same and tamper-proof, that it would be with the understanding that the balls would need to be changed from what they are now. I'm sure there is technology out there that can, in the manufacturing process, tack these balls up to a happy medium of what most QB's would like. Heck, maybe even change the material from leather to something else if need be, but the way the balls come out of the box right now, isn't going to cut it.

What I'd like to see is every single ball be as close to the same as any other (aside from kicking balls) -however I think 'K balls' were introduced because QB's altering of the regular balls in the first place. Maybe it wouldn't be necessary to have K balls if all the balls are the same. Either way - I don't care about Kicking Balls.

I just don't like the idea of -even in a single game- each offense has their own balls they get to use. I never knew this and it's not jiving to me. Make it official like most other sports (baseball doesn't count - that game is way too strange to be compared to anything)

I know QB's would hate this. I've heard Jake Plummer to Tom Brady to Kurt Warner to TONS of QB's talking about how they get their balls prepared for play. And like I say, the balls as they come now - right out of the box, can't be played with - ......... but that can be changed - in the manufacturing process. Take this uniqueness out. I don't like it. QB's will hate me for even making this thread but that's how I feel.

MH Stampede
05-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Should QB's be allowed to go through this strange process of roughing balls up and trying to break them in and get them to a certain tack to their liking? Or should these footballs be OFFICIAL. No one gets to tamper with the balls at all. You just have to play with them out of the box?

Let me just suggest that if you decide all balls should be the same and tamper-proof, that it would be with the understanding that the balls would need to be changed from what they are now. I'm sure there is technology out there that can, in the manufacturing process, tack these balls up to a happy medium of what most QB's would like. Heck, maybe even change the material from leather to something else if need be, but the way the balls come out of the box right now, isn't going to cut it.

What I'd like to see is every single ball be as close to the same as any other (aside from kicking balls) -however I think 'K balls' were introduced because QB's altering of the regular balls in the first place. Maybe it wouldn't be necessary to have K balls if all the balls are the same. Either way - I don't care about Kicking Balls.

I just don't like the idea of -even in a single game- each offense has their own balls they get to use. I never knew this and it's not jiving to me. Make it official like most other sports (baseball doesn't count - that game is way too strange to be compared to anything)

I know QB's would hate this. I've heard Jake Plummer to Tom Brady to Kurt Warner to TONS of QB's talking about how they get their balls prepared for play. And like I say, the balls as they come now - right out of the box, can't be played with - ......... but that can be changed - in the manufacturing process. Take this uniqueness out. I don't like it. QB's will hate me for even making this thread but that's how I feel.

I personally think they should all be the same too.

EddieMac
05-08-2015, 10:10 PM
out of the box, into their hands......... That's the way it should be.

dizzolve
05-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Only 2 responses so far. I anticipated a lot of resistance to this idea, but so far that hasn't been the case. cheers

Rastic
05-09-2015, 12:34 PM
I think footballs ought to be treated the same regardless of the team. No longer should trans provide their own balls. Have balls should be provided by the officials; no special prep.

ruksak
05-09-2015, 12:48 PM
It's obviously time to approach the distribution of game balls in a manner that makes teams incapable of messing with them.

If they could think of a consensus manner of "roughing up" the footballs as to take the factory sheen off of them, that would be ideal. However, it's obvious that *SOME teams cannot be trusted any longer than you can keep you eyes on them.

broncolee
05-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Teams should only be allowed to handle the balls before they are checked by the officials. Once they are tested, the teams shouldn't be allowed to touch them until kickoff. They should have to use a separate set of balls for warming up.

Dennis.1960
05-09-2015, 04:17 PM
All game balls identical and no team gets to touch or practice with them before kickoff. I was amazed when the deflategate story broke and I learned that wasn't already true ;)

Rancid
05-09-2015, 05:37 PM
I don't think we need to get all Gestapo on this. If the referees tested the balls as I believe they are supposed to, then none of this would have happened. How about the Refs just do their job and stick a needle in them before game time and then secure compliant balls? They could randomly test balls throughout the game as a spot check and any team that gets 3 non-compliant ball warnings in a season gets a penalty. This would solve the problem without getting all Governmental about the whole thing.

samparnell
05-09-2015, 09:07 PM
I think the footballs are pretty much the same dimension regardless of how old they are. As long as the pressure is the same, footballs are pretty much the same except for the difference in texture as a result of wear.

In thirteen years on a HS coaching staff, I don't think I ever saw a brand new right out of the box football used as a game ball. I saw brand new footballs used in walk through the day before the game, and used in pregame, but that's about as new as I can remember.

If a rule was made to use brand new, out-of-the-box footballs as game balls, many QBs would want to practice with brand new footballs. Football consumption would go up.

The only tampering in "deflategate" of which I am aware is the pressure issue. As long as the football is regulation and inflated properly, I don't think it's necessary that they all be brand new. An "official" ball is still an official ball regardless of age and wear.

It has always been standard practice that each team brings their own footballs to the game. These are inspected by the officials to verify that they are regulation footballs. Each team has their own stamp on their footballs, and a ball boy is assigned to bring each team's footballs to and from the officials.

I remember reading about the recent scandal that the only ball inflated properly was the kicking ball. That should have been an indicator of tampering. A QB might favor a ball that is softer, but the kicking ball should be fully inflated. Everyone should care about kicking balls. After all, that is where game balls go before they die. :D

dizzolve
05-09-2015, 10:09 PM
We can send men to the moon but we can't manufacture a football that feels 'broken in' out of the box? We can make stonewash jeans so I know we have the technology. lol

This might not really have much to do with Deflate-gate, but it is one less step removed. I don't like it the way it is now. Balls should all be uniform. Figure it out and take the ball away from these QB's. They don't like how it feels? Change manufacturing process. I believe the QB's should adjust to the ball - not vice verse

Garfield
05-09-2015, 10:47 PM
We can send men to the moon but we can't manufacture a football that feels 'broken in' out of the box? We can make stonewash jeans so I know we have the technology. lol

This might not really have much to do with Deflate-gate, but it is one less step removed. I don't like it the way it is now. Balls should all be uniform. Figure it out and take the ball away from these QB's. They don't like how it feels? Change manufacturing process. I believe the QB's should adjust to the ball - not vice verse

so which super star QBs break in process do they use?

then 31 other starters are using a Manning or rodgers feel ball.