PDA

View Full Version : 14 teams take money for patriotic displays

the0rangecrush
05-11-2015, 05:56 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/11/14-nfl-teams-took-tax-dollars-for-patriotic-pregame-displays/

The Jets are just as patriotic as anybody else, I’m sure.

But it’s easier to wave the red, white and blue when it comes with a healthy dose of green.

According to Christopher Baxter and Jonathan Salant of NJ.com, the New Jersey Army National Guard and the Department of Defense paid the Jets a total of $377,000 from 2011 to 2014 for the salutes and other advertising, citing federal contracts.

While the heartfelt salutes to military members seems like a win-win (good for the league’s image, high-visibility advertising for the military), the reality that it’s as much of an ad as the ones for beer and trucks does make it a bit distasteful, not to mention expensive.

According to their documents, the Defense Department has paid 14 NFL teams $5.4 million over the past four seasons for the patriotic displays.

“Those of us go to sporting events and see them honoring the heroes,” U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) said. “You get a good feeling in your heart. Then to find out they’re doing it because they’re compensated for it, it leaves you underwhelmed. It seems a little unseemly. . . .

“They realize the public believes they’re doing it as a public service or a sense of patriotism,” Flake said. “It leaves a bad taste in your mouth.”

The deals include segments saluting “Hometown Heroes,” and other advertising and marketing.

The Jets weren’t the only team accepting tax dollars in exchange for access to football, as the Falcons, Ravens, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Cowboys, Packers, Colts, Chiefs, Dolphins, Vikings, Steelers and Rams have also accepted the money.

Your money, that is.

MH Stampede
05-11-2015, 03:08 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/11/14-nfl-teams-took-tax-dollars-for-patriotic-pregame-displays/

The Jets are just as patriotic as anybody else, I’m sure.

But it’s easier to wave the red, white and blue when it comes with a healthy dose of green.

According to Christopher Baxter and Jonathan Salant of NJ.com, the New Jersey Army National Guard and the Department of Defense paid the Jets a total of $377,000 from 2011 to 2014 for the salutes and other advertising, citing federal contracts.

While the heartfelt salutes to military members seems like a win-win (good for the league’s image, high-visibility advertising for the military), the reality that it’s as much of an ad as the ones for beer and trucks does make it a bit distasteful, not to mention expensive.

According to their documents, the Defense Department has paid 14 NFL teams $5.4 million over the past four seasons for the patriotic displays.

“Those of us go to sporting events and see them honoring the heroes,” U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) said. “You get a good feeling in your heart. Then to find out they’re doing it because they’re compensated for it, it leaves you underwhelmed. It seems a little unseemly. . . .

“They realize the public believes they’re doing it as a public service or a sense of patriotism,” Flake said. “It leaves a bad taste in your mouth.”

The deals include segments saluting “Hometown Heroes,” and other advertising and marketing.

The Jets weren’t the only team accepting tax dollars in exchange for access to football, as the Falcons, Ravens, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Cowboys, Packers, Colts, Chiefs, Dolphins, Vikings, Steelers and Rams have also accepted the money.

Your money, that is.

Makes one proud to know the Broncos routinely does stuff like this, without being asked or paid.

Garfield
05-11-2015, 03:16 PM
5.4 mil over four years. For advertising for the military cheap at ten times the cost.

For the jets if they did this at each home game a shade over 10k a game.

The congress blows five times that much on studying cow farts.

Garfield
05-11-2015, 03:19 PM
Makes one proud to know the Broncos routinely does stuff like this, without being asked or paid.

Note the vast majority of those teams are from blue states and east of the Mississippi.

Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Perhaps lower enlistment rates in those areas m

Rastic
05-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I think it does seem to cheapen it. I find it sad that A) the military would pay and B) teams would take the money. I get the flyovers are paid for but we're talking about what seemed a sort of spontaneous idea of saluting and commemorating the AS that grew over the years and now the curtain has been pulled back.

It doesn't take any respect I have for those who serve but severely changes what I think about everything else. bleh

bronx_2003
05-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Whatever happened to doing something because it was right, not because of the green stuff

Very sad

Dennis.1960
05-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Whatever happened to doing something because it was right, not because of the green stuff

Very sad

I'm afraid the last time the NFL did anything just because it was the right thing to do and not because of green was probably when John Elway was still playing high school ball ;)

Rancid
05-11-2015, 06:19 PM
I think we should hire an independent investigator in advance of a Senate Subcommittee investigation as to whether or not this complies with the initiatives in what could be a No Fan Left Behind initiative. Furthermore, we should canvas communities with town hall meetings orchestrated by community organizers to see how this impacts the culture of hard working and non-working Americans just asking for a fair shake; including canine-Americans and those who are thinking of relocating to this country and even those who are not even born yet so we leave no one out and get a fair representative cross-section of America.