PDA

View Full Version : Tanehill getting extension

FL BRONCO
05-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 10m10 minutes ago
Dolphins are giving QB Ryan Tanehill a six-year, $96 million extension that includes $45 million guaranteed, per league source.

I like Tannehill, but wow. Seems a bit excessive imo. But good for him.

Remedy
05-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Good for him.

Rastic
05-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 10m10 minutes ago
Dolphins are giving QB Ryan Tanehill a six-year, $96 million extension that includes $45 million guaranteed, per league source.

I like Tannehill, but wow. Seems a bit excessive imo. But good for him.

This year will be the year that determines whether he's really worth that or not. I like him and never thought the Dolphins had a good set of weapons for him.

EddieMac
05-18-2015, 03:00 PM
And that starts the bidding for Wilson/Luck.

Imagine what they get if a non playoff appearing QB gets 96/45.

No team will afford Luck or Wilson......

Houshmazode
05-18-2015, 03:10 PM
I like Tannehill too, don't think the contract is that outrageous. The salary cap goes up every year and at least it's not a cutler like contract.

I wouldn't have minded signing or trading for Ryan after Manning retires but doubt that would happen now.

LSIGRAD09
05-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Hmmm. Not sure he's shown enough to justify that investment, but I don't think Tannehill is that bad. I hope he plays well.

InsaneBlaze23
05-19-2015, 01:42 AM
If that is what a someone of Ryan's talent can get, regardless of franchise tag, Seattle is gonna have to gut their roster in a year or two(assuming tagged), or not re-sign Wilson. Luck is gonna be one hella rich man, Indy can afford it.

broncoslover115
05-19-2015, 04:21 AM
If that is what a someone of Ryan's talent can get, regardless of franchise tag, Seattle is gonna have to gut their roster in a year or two(assuming tagged), or not re-sign Wilson. Luck is gonna be one hella rich man, Indy can afford it.

I heard that Seattle is not planning on picking up Wilson's contract and will just tag him for 1-2 years.

InsaneBlaze23
05-19-2015, 04:40 AM
I heard that Seattle is not planning on picking up Wilson's contract and will just tag him for 1-2 years.

As I said, at some point they'd still have to decide on giving him a new contract or letting him walk. Can't tag him every year.

HUMCALC
05-19-2015, 05:46 PM
I like him a lot, but Wilson's contract should be a lot higher than his

bronx_2003
05-21-2015, 06:44 AM
Far too much IMO, I would have offered him less and if he declined then let him walk.

He has got better every year but is not a top ten QB so this is excessive.

Luck will be the highest paid and rightly so. They should just lock him up.

Wilson is a tricky one. IMO he's not a top ten QB, they have to decide if Wilson is a good enough passer and franchise QB who can carry a team when ML goes in a year or two and Wilsons contract pushes a few defenders out the door.

I guess your either a Wilson fan or not. I'm not. His playoff performances have been very poor IMO

samparnell
05-21-2015, 09:02 AM
College football isn't producing enough quarterbacks ready to start and play at a high level in the NFL. Supply isn't keeping up with demand. Ryan Tannehill and others, like Jay Cutler and Andy Dalton have a body of work which may not be overly impressive, is more tangible than the potential of a rookie from a spread/gun/option offense. It is that certainty which allows them to command the contracts their agents have negotiated.

When you think about losing a guy on the field, and you turn around and see what is available on the bench, the guy on the field doesn't look so bad after all. :D

bronx_2003
05-21-2015, 09:35 AM
College football isn't producing enough quarterbacks ready to start and play at a high level in the NFL. Supply isn't keeping up with demand. Ryan Tannehill and others, like Jay Cutler and Andy Dalton have a body of work which may not be overly impressive, is more tangible than the potential of a rookie from a spread/gun/option offense. It is that certainty which allows them to command the contracts their agents have negotiated.

When you think about losing a guy on the field, and you turn around and see what is available on the bench, the guy on the field doesn't look so bad after all. :D

Very good points.

They are getting more then they are worth but due to lack of options elsewhere they dictate the market

fallforward3y+
05-23-2015, 10:14 PM

Check you Inbox, I PMed you. I believe I sent 2 messages, because I thought the first one didn't go through, my bad on that.

fallforward3y+
05-23-2015, 10:23 PM

This is a good point, particularly for the QB position. With positions like RB and WR, you can rotate guys around, and often do a lot of experimenting with guys on the bench if your starters aren't doing well, and probably have a good chance of being successful.

With QB however, it's different. If your struggling at the QB position, you'll rarely do any better starting your back up. Sometimes, you may end up not doing much worse, but you probably won't improve QB play in most cases. In truth, great QBs are very difficult to come by. The 3 guys you mentioned aren't awful, but they aren't elite either.