PDA

View Full Version : Extra point moves to the 15-yard line this coming season

Rastic
05-19-2015, 08:21 PM
This season we'll see the extra points snapped from the 15-yard line instead of the previous spot at the 2-yard line. The owners voted in favor of the rule change 30 - 2.

2-point conversions will remain at the 2-yard line.

Additionally, the defense can score two points on a blocked or missed extra point:

According to the rule change, if the defense returns a blocked extra point or failed two-point try for a touchdown (i.e. on an interception), they will be awarded two points. Under the previous rule the ball was dead on a failed try.

Source (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493347/article/nfl-moves-extra-point-to-15yard-line-for-2015-season)

It's also the first new scoring method since 1994 with the two- point conversation.

Apparently our Conner Barth is not in favor (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28148509/broncos-connor-barth-not-happy-nfls-pat-change).

I kind of like the rule change. To me, PATs seem so automatic with the two-point being the only risk.

Barth's take is valid though. He believes narrowing the uprights would make more of a difference because for most NFL place kickers a 33-yard kick is something they "can do in their sleep."

Either way, I'm all for an added element of competitiveness that doesn't change the game that much. This might make close games all the more closer.

HUMCALC
05-19-2015, 08:24 PM
This is beyond stupid if you ask me

Rastic
05-19-2015, 08:27 PM
This is beyond stupid if you ask me

So far beyond it's brilliant? :)

Oh yeah, we don't have Tebow anymore. Our games haven't been that close in a while to be worried. :thumb:

HUMCALC
05-19-2015, 08:30 PM
This just means that teams will be going for 2 more often, since kickers do miss 30 yarders on occasion

CanDB
05-19-2015, 08:42 PM
I actually think it was time for change. The convert just became far too automatic. And with the ball further back and the 2 point option available, it may lead to some interesting choices.

I am a bit of a traditionalist, but I think this is good move. Plus the opportunity for Ds to score is cool, because in the past it always looked so stupid when they made a play on the ball and then had to stop in their tracks like they were doing something wrong. This will add a few thrills this season (and beyond).

MH Stampede
05-19-2015, 08:43 PM
This season we'll see the extra points snapped from the 15-yard line instead of the previous spot at the 2-yard line. The owners voted in favor of the rule change 30 - 2.

2-point conversions will remain at the 2-yard line.

Additionally, the defense can score two points on a blocked or missed extra point:

It's also the first new scoring method since 1994 with the two- point conversation.

Apparently our Conner Barth is not in favor (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28148509/broncos-connor-barth-not-happy-nfls-pat-change).

I kind of like the rule change. To me, PATs seem so automatic with the two-point being the only risk.

Barth's take is valid though. He believes narrowing the uprights would make more of a difference because for most NFL place kickers a 33-yard kick is something they "can do in their sleep."

Either way, I'm all for an added element of competitiveness that doesn't change the game that much. This might make close games all the more closer.

Personally I like the changes.

HUMCALC
05-19-2015, 08:44 PM
It's 1 point for a reason, because it's on the 1 yard line. Just like the 2 point conversion is on the 2

InsaneBlaze23
05-19-2015, 11:19 PM
I like the change. Coaches would actually have to think about which to do, and it won't be a guaranteed automatic for kickers. Makes it better imo.

broncolee
05-20-2015, 12:47 AM
Unnecessary change, but it could be a good thing anyway.

broncoslover115
05-20-2015, 04:17 AM
Wait, I'm confused. If the defense returns a failed extra point or a blocked 2 pt. conversion for a TD, why would they only get 2 points instead of the 6 for a TD?

I don't get it. :confused:

broncolee
05-20-2015, 04:34 AM
Wait, I'm confused. If the defense returns a failed extra point or a blocked 2 pt. conversion for a TD, why would they only get 2 points instead of the 6 for a TD?

I don't get it. :confused:

It's the college rule that they are adopting. The turnover happens on a one or two point play, so the defense only gets two points. That's just what they came up with. Seems fair enough to me.

InsaneBlaze23
05-20-2015, 04:49 AM
It's the college rule that they are adopting. The turnover happens on a one or two point play, so the defense only gets two points. That's just what they came up with. Seems fair enough to me.
Was gonna say the same. Basically you are only allowed to score the same number of points as the other team depending on the phase of the game. If its a regular drive, 6 points. If its an extra point/2pt conversion, 2 points.

Rastic
05-20-2015, 05:15 AM
Was gonna say the same. Basically you are only allowed to score the same number of points as the other team depending on the phase of the game. If its a regular drive, 6 points. If its an extra point/2pt conversion, 2 points.

Sort of. Blocked field goals can be returned for 6.

Edit: I read that half awake. You were correct. :coffee:

broncoslover115
05-20-2015, 05:17 AM

Sort of. Blocked field goals can be returned for 6.

Oh, thanks!

FL BRONCO
05-20-2015, 11:23 AM
I like the change. Coaches would actually have to think about which to do, and it won't be a guaranteed automatic for kickers. Makes it better imo.

We will see. To me it doesn't make much of a difference at all on that point. It hasn't been moved that far back at all, it should still be considered automatic so I dont see where it will make a whole lot of difference in the coaaches decision wether to go for 1 or 2. I believe whatever chart or reasoning he used before will be the same. What it does make harder is if the team bobbles the extra point I think it will make it harder for a qb to adlib and turn it into 2. I don't like that, while I know it doesn't happen very often at all, I like it when it does. I personally don't think it will change decision making at all, it does however add a chance for D to get points and maybe increase the chance of a kicker getting hurt on a blocked play. I don't think I like that either. But I guess I will reserve my judgement until I get a better feel for it this season as it comes into play. I will reserve judgement but right now I am leaning towards not liking it. It may be another reason you may want to keep 2 kickers who can back each other up on the roster though. We will see. should be interesting:2cents:

CanDB
05-20-2015, 11:47 AM
I was not aware of the college rule that applies to defensive scoring on 2 point tries, but it really makes sense. You can't award a TD for a 2 point attempt, because it's out of line with what happens in normal downs.....as in, if an O goes for a regular play they can score 6 points. Even a field goal attempt can turn into a 6 point play, as in fake FG. Whereas a 2 point attempt is self-explanatory. So.... simple logic:
- 6 point play can turn into a 6 point return
- 2 point play can turn into a 2 point return, and nothing more

Yah, overall I like this new approach to extra points. Some change is good (although I'd prefer hard cash;))

Bronco51
05-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Goodell can't talk about player safety and then add a play that will probably add some injuries to games. I don't mind them moving it back, but I don't want to hear this guy talk about player safety anymore.

samparnell
05-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Goodell can't talk about player safety and then add a play that will probably add some injuries to games. I don't mind them moving it back, but I don't want to hear this guy talk about player safety anymore.

Is an XPA inherently less safe than a 1st, 2nd or 3rd down play from scrimmage?

Bronco51
05-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Is an XPA inherently less safe than a 1st, 2nd or 3rd down play from scrimmage?

Yes it is. If you ask former players.

samparnell
05-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Yes it is. If you ask former players.

Do you have a link for that?

Rancid
05-20-2015, 05:51 PM
If they really wanted to make extra points more fun, they should blindfold the kickers and make them spin around 3-times before they attempt the kick. :laugh:

samparnell
05-20-2015, 05:54 PM
If they really wanted to make extra points more fun, they should blindfold the kickers and make them spin around 3-times before they attempt the kick. :laugh:

Or, they could do like rugby and bring the ball straight out from where it ended up and kick from there.

Maybe it's time to consider widening the hashmarks.

Rancid
05-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Or, they could do like rugby and bring the ball straight out from where it ended up and kick from there.

Maybe it's time to consider widening the hashmarks.

I like that idea! Now you're thinkin' Sam! See that's what I like about you-- always thinkin' and not just standin' around lookin' pretty!

samparnell
05-20-2015, 06:04 PM
I like that idea! Now you're thinkin' Sam! See that's what I like about you-- always thinkin' and not just standin' around lookin' pretty!

Uh, ... what has the guy in the mirror done with Sam? :eek:

Bronco51
05-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Do you have a link for that?
Nope. Just my own personal conversations with former players. That's enough for me.

FL BRONCO
05-21-2015, 09:05 AM
reactions

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/nfl-extra-point-rule-change-players-react

dandaman23
05-21-2015, 12:01 PM
I don't mind the kick from the 15, what I'm most excited for is blocked kicks and turnovers on 2pt tries being able to be returned for 2 points. It didn't make any sense that it was the only time where one team had no opportunity to score.

samparnell
05-22-2015, 10:03 AM
My favorite part is that the NFL has finally legalized the defensive one-point safety on extra point attempts.

OK, I'm slow. Please explain. A Safety is when an offensive ball carrier is tackled in the EZ, or there is a holding penalty while the ball carrier is in the EZ. Are you saying that if an XPA is recovered by the defense and returned, it's a one point Safety?

If the defense gets possession of the ball outside the EZ on a play from scrimmage and returns it for a score, it's a TD. So, why would the D returning an XPA from their -15 be a Safety for one point? I get that D can only score a point since that is what the XPA was worth, but why do you call it a Safety?

Rancid
05-22-2015, 05:14 PM
OK, I'm slow. Please explain. A Safety is when an offensive ball carrier is tackled in the EZ, or there is a holding penalty while the ball carrier is in the EZ. Are you saying that if an XPA is recovered by the defense and returned, it's a one point Safety?

If the defense gets possession of the ball outside the EZ on a play from scrimmage and returns it for a score, it's a TD. So, why would the D returning an XPA from their -15 be a Safety for one point? I get that D can only score a point since that is what the XPA was worth, but why do you call it a Safety?

C'mon Sam, get with the program bud. The hulk center hikes it over the place holders head and it bounces 85 yards into the other end zone and the kicking team falls on it and the player is touched down by the defense.

Sheesh! Do I gotta explain everything? :laugh:

broncoslover115
05-22-2015, 05:18 PM
C'mon Sam, get with the program bud. The hulk center hikes it over the place holders head and it bounces 85 yards into the other end zone and the kicking team falls on it and the player is touched down by the defense.

I know right? That Sam guy around here just doesn't know anything about football. Geez! What a poser! :laugh:

samparnell
05-22-2015, 05:34 PM

OK. I'm trying to chalk it up as we speak. :doh:

Safety? Safety? Don't they know football ain't safe? :O

Bootleg
05-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Personally, I'm not a fan of the move. Extra points were fine being snapped from the 1.

baphamet
05-25-2015, 10:56 AM
if it aint broke don't fix it. i understood the kickoff move to promote safety but this is just dumb and pointless.