PDA

View Full Version : Cutler's gonna be good this season?

dizzolve
06-23-2015, 01:47 PM
.... this season? It's finally going to happen this season then?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498427/article/jay-cutler-rising-offseason-moves-with-potential-to-surprise

I find this interesting because we all have our own fan based relationship with Jay Cutler as Bronco fans. And the positivity of this article is both understandable - but I also see it as 'more of the same'. Yea, sure - Cutler might really have a good season. I could see it happen. In fact in year 1 when everything is fresh and new, it almost seems likely even (for Cutler).

My personal feelings are that I can see Cutler have a good season this year- but then the following season or the one after that he reverts back to the normal Cutler we've all come to know here now since he was drafted.

What do you guys think

Also listed was the Maclin / Reid reunion. That might actually be interesting there in KC. I think this could really help that KC offense and more particularly the QB - who inturn helps that offense. It'll be fun to watch if they can put it together there.

EddieMac
06-23-2015, 02:13 PM
one word answer for the Cutler thing.....NO ...

HUMCALC
06-23-2015, 03:31 PM
HELL NO! He lost an elite WR, and he gained a very conservative play-caller

Garfield
06-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Cutler's gonna be good this season?

For what ?

*Atwater*
06-24-2015, 03:03 PM

For what ?
Interceptions. :P

-Rod-
06-24-2015, 03:15 PM
At least he is not considered a potential MVP candidate like in the past off-seasons.

Rastic
06-24-2015, 03:48 PM

For what ?

Keeping his OL well rested?

ebsoria
06-24-2015, 04:46 PM
We've been hearing this since his rookie year... :coffee:

bears6385
06-24-2015, 07:02 PM
HELL NO! He lost an elite WR, and he gained a very conservative play-callerLost Marshall, but gained White and Royal. Offense could be better than 2013 when the Bears offense led the NFC in points per game.

Conservative should help Cutler, not hurt him. Bears offense should look a lot like 2010 and 2011, a run based field position team with much more talent at receiver than in those years, and if healthy a much better OL.

bears6385
06-24-2015, 07:28 PM
We've been hearing this since his rookie year... :coffee:That's very true. The difference is that if Cutler does not produce in Gase's offense he will be gone in 2016. For the first time in his career Jay has got to tow the line or move on for a lot less money.

HUMCALC
06-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Lost Marshall, but gained White and Royal. Offense could be better than 2013 when the Bears offense led the NFC in points per game.

Conservative should help Cutler, not hurt him. Bears offense should look a lot like 2010 and 2011, a run based field position team with much more talent at receiver than in those years, and if healthy a much better OL.

Cutler doesn't like handing the ball off. He proved that last year when he kept audibling out of them

Garfield
06-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Cutler doesn't like handing the ball off. He proved that last year when he kept audibling out of them

Only if it is a 30 yard down field hand off into triple coverage while 5 yards down field he has a player wide open.

fallforward3y+
06-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Lost Marshall, but gained White and Royal. Offense could be better than 2013 when the Bears offense led the NFC in points per game.

That was when Chicago had one of the best defenses in the NFL, and one of the best Special Teams, they played the Packers 3 times in 2010 and never gave up 20 points of offense(7 points by Packers defense in NFCC game). The Bears offense was ranked 30th that year I believe, comparing the Bears offense to that one isn't very convincing that they will have a good offense.

I agree that a more conservative coach SHOULD help Cutler, however I don't think he will take to it. I guess we will see though.

fallforward3y+
06-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Only if it is a 30 yard down field hand off into triple coverage while 5 yards down field he has a player wide open.

Nice, I like that one lol. The QB position is largely mental, and part of that is discipline. He is undisciplined in not taking the higher percentage completions and doesn't make good decisions on where to throw.

Garfield
06-25-2015, 12:46 AM
Nice, I like that one lol. The QB position is largely mental, and part of that is discipline. He is undisciplined in not taking the higher percentage completions and doesn't make good decisions on where to throw.

He is Jeff George 2.0. A coach killer.

Does what he wants, to hell with the coaches.

because he knows best and has a stronger arm than Elway, which means in his mind he can force a ball into tight spots to make the big play.

He has a big league arm and a littler league mind.

As you said the QBs job is mental.
He is a mental midget.
Prone to blame everyone but himself for making mistakes.

Pretty sure I've covered all of what is cutler

captainbronco
06-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Its almost been 10 years since hes been in the league physically hes one of the best but mentally he's on par with johnny manzel

Denver Mike
06-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Good is kind of a reach. Can we take baby steps? Like, let's start with "not bad."

bears6385
06-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Cutler doesn't like handing the ball off. He proved that last year when he kept audibling out of themThe audible is out, it will be check with me's for the reason you brought up. Remember Cutler has to prove to Gase that he can run his offense. It is not a matter of what Cutler likes he has no options if he wants to be with the Bears past 2015. Time is past when Cutler can dictate to his OC's.

bears6385
06-25-2015, 05:24 PM
That was when Chicago had one of the best defenses in the NFL, and one of the best Special Teams, they played the Packers 3 times in 2010 and never gave up 20 points of offense(7 points by Packers defense in NFCC game). The Bears offense was ranked 30th that year I believe, comparing the Bears offense to that one isn't very convincing that they will have a good offense.

I agree that a more conservative coach SHOULD help Cutler, however I don't think he will take to it. I guess we will see though.The point is, it is how Cutler played in that offense not the bottom stat line. It's the template that works best with Cutler. The 2010 offense with the talent around Jay today, and you may have the making of a good offensive team.

No one here knows just what this defense will look like under Vic Fangio, but if he can make the same type of improvement with the Bears as he did in his first year with the 9ers the D could move closer to the middle of the pack. That in itself would help the offense.

As said, he will take to it IF he wants to be with the Bears past 2015. If not he moves on in 2016 for a lot less money.

fallforward3y+
06-25-2015, 05:29 PM
He is Jeff George 2.0. A coach killer.

Does what he wants, to hell with the coaches.

because he knows best and has a stronger arm than Elway, which means in his mind he can force a ball into tight spots to make the big play.

He has a big league arm and a littler league mind.

As you said the QBs job is mental.
He is a mental midget.
Prone to blame everyone but himself for making mistakes.

Pretty sure I've covered all of what is cutler

It's good to see your one of the guys that 'gets it'.

Sure, there are some physical aspects to playing QB, but the mental trumps it so much. That's why I think fixating on natural talent at the QB position is a mistake, when coaches are determined to 'shape up' a QB because they believe them to have natural talent. SO WHAT! lol. Being able to throw the ball 40 yards down isn't very impressive by NFL Standards, and very few passes even travel THAT far in the air.

If Cutler is going to save his career, there are 2 guys I think he should look at.

One is Tom Brady, one of the most successful QBs, and with a strong 'anti Cutler' approach. He should ask himself, how is he successful? He often takes the short pass, he seemingly has a mind set of looking for the easiest completion. Survey the field, find where favorable match ups are, he is great at making decisions of where to throw. This can teach Cutler that success as a QB does not necessarily require you to throw deep a lot.

Brees is another. Brees has the insanely good accuracy required to complete difficult throws, however he has the right mentality of when to apply it. Cutler's issue isn't an inability to make those throws, it seems to be making them too much. Brees, like Brady often looks for the easiest completion, his great accuracy is used as an EXTRA asset, to sometimes make those throws in good situations to do so, not something he tries to show in attempting difficult throws often.

bears6385
06-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Good is kind of a reach. Can we take baby steps? Like, let's start with "not bad."Cutler is a mid-level QB.............I don't know if that is good or not by todays standards. It does show that he has a lot to prove to a new coaching staff that is not fully behind him.

fallforward3y+
06-25-2015, 05:37 PM
The point is, it is how Cutler played in that offense not the bottom stat line. It's the template that works best with Cutler. The 2010 offense with the talent around Jay today, and you may have the making of a good offensive team.

No one here knows just what this defense will look like under Vic Fangio, but if he can make the same type of improvement with the Bears as he did in his first year with the 9ers the D could move closer to the middle of the pack. That in itself would help the offense.

As said, he will take to it IF he wants to be with the Bears past 2015. If not he moves on in 2016 for a lot less money.

The stats were to show that that offense really wasn't very effective, but your team was successful because it's hard not to be in those circumstances. The point was that your 2010 approach may not work very well if you don't have the defense and STs you did in 2010.

Now, with Fangio you might. However, I don't really have a lot of hopes for your offense, and it being similar to 2010's isn't very convincing. It isn't as if Jay was great in 2010 or even better than usual really, your defense just was able to make up for poor offensive play enough to win.

You do have more weapons than in 2010, but it's hard to say if Cutler will have a good approach that will help them add to it. To have receivers serve more as additions in a run first offense, Cutler will probably need to learn to take the easier completion more often, and not usually go for the big play unless it's there the way Russel Wilson does.

captainbronco
06-25-2015, 05:55 PM

Sure, there are some physical aspects to playing QB, but the mental trumps it so much. That's why I think fixating on natural talent at the QB position is a mistake, when coaches are determined to 'shape up' a QB because they believe them to have natural talent. SO WHAT! lol. Being able to throw the ball 40 yards down isn't very impressive by NFL Standards, and very few passes even travel THAT far in the air.

If Cutler is going to save his career, there are 2 guys I think he should look at.

One is Tom Brady, one of the most successful QBs, and with a strong 'anti Cutler' approach. He should ask himself, how is he successful? He often takes the short pass, he seemingly has a mind set of looking for the easiest completion. Survey the field, find where favorable match ups are, he is great at making decisions of where to throw. This can teach Cutler that success as a QB does not necessarily require you to throw deep a lot.

Brees is another. Brees has the insanely good accuracy required to complete difficult throws, however he has the right mentality of when to apply it. Cutler's issue isn't an inability to make those throws, it seems to be making them too much. Brees, like Brady often looks for the easiest completion, his great accuracy is used as an EXTRA asset, to sometimes make those throws in good situations to do so, not something he tries to show in attempting difficult throws often.

I like this analysis cutler seems to have brett favre syndrome force it down field or into triple coverage he trusts his arm too much and its gotten him in trouble more often than not typical gun slinger mentality

bears6385
06-25-2015, 06:09 PM

Brees is another. Brees has the insanely good accuracy required to complete difficult throws, however he has the right mentality of when to apply it. Cutler's issue isn't an inability to make those throws, it seems to be making them too much. Brees, like Brady often looks for the easiest completion, his great accuracy is used as an EXTRA asset, to sometimes make those throws in good situations to do so, not something he tries to show in attempting difficult throws often.Here is where I think you are wrong.

1) To compare Cutler, a mid-level QB to two of the greatest QB's of this era. He will never be any where near these quarterbacks. So to win with him a coaching staff has to understand exactly what type of quarterback he is, or you are doomed to failure as Trestman just found out.

2) It's a myth that Cutler only looks deep. Does Cutler get that he has to take the short pass, of course he does. Matt Forte just set a record for receptions by a RB. The last really deep threat Cutler has had was Johnny Knox in 2011.

3) The two biggest flaws in Cutlers game are his ability to anticipate, and his accuracy. That in itself would separate Brady and Brees from Cutler. Jay does not anticipate throws, does not throw to a spot, he is a see it QB, which means he will hold the ball longer, take more sacks, and hits. Cutler is accurate to a point, but is not the most accurate passer in the game, not even close. That is why the Bears have gone out an gotten huge receivers, like Marshall 6-4, Jeffery 6-3, Bennett 6-6, and now the 6-3 White, even Forte is 6-2. Receivers with huge wingspans who can go up and get passes over smaller DB's People blame Cutler for his decision making, a big part of that is his lack of accuracy in throwing into tight windows. A little off and it is either a pass breakup or an int.

fallforward3y+
06-25-2015, 11:08 PM
There wasn't much from this year I could find as evidence of how often Cutler throws deep, but according to this article he did it the 3rd most of anyone in 2013, and I'd be surprised if that changed. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/07/signature-stats-play-action-deep-passing/

Plus, it also has to do with throwing into tight windows and going for more difficult passes when other players are open to try and get a larger gain, even if it isn't necessarily a deep pass. In truth, my criticism of Cutler isn't so much of a 'he shouldn't do that because he isn't accurate enough', it's more of a 'no QB should do that no matter how accurate they are' criticism. If you often attempt to throw it into tight windows, your chances are strong of throwing a lot of INTs, even if you are a very accurate QB, those are difficult throws that often give a DB a good chance at the ball.

Decisions on where to throw the ball, and recognizing a favorable match up aren't a strong point of Cutler's imo.

I said he should LOOK at Brady and Brees, because those 2 QBs have approaches that could be helpful to him. Brees has great accuracy but doesn't avoid more high percentage completions to make difficult throws, the difficult throws are an added asset that he attempts in good situations for it.

Brady approaches the game in a very different way, an approach strongly oriented around taking easier completions and recognizing favorable match ups, he makes great decisions on where to throw the football. He does a good job of anticipating throws as well, is great at having a quick release when he wants to. He is a very disciplined QB who will take effective easy completions if they are there and won't feel the need to push the ball down field very often if they can move downfield methodically. Cutler has a style that seems oriented around believing you won't be effective without making several difficult throws, so seeing someone succeed without doing that very often could be helpful to him if he learns from it.

bears6385
11-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Midway through the 2015 season I bring this post back up because Cutler is actually having a good year. Playing in a more conservative run based offense has helped Cutler's over all game. Field position, keep the game close into the 4th quarter giving Jay a chance to pull the game out at the end.

CanDB
11-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Midway through the 2015 season I bring this post back up because Cutler is actually having a good year. Playing in a more conservative run based offense has helped Cutler's over all game. Field position, keep the game close into the 4th quarter giving Jay a chance to pull the game out at the end.

Mind you, you might not have been thinking that after the pic 6 on Monday. I will say he looks more in control, and perhaps Gase has reached him. But not to harp on it, he was playing a very porous San Diego team, who is injured and self-destructed.

But here's my question.....where is he next season?

bears6385
11-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Mind you, you might not have been thinking that after the pic 6 on Monday. I will say he looks more in control, and perhaps Gase has reached him. But not to harp on it, he was playing a very porous San Diego team, who is injured and self-destructed.

But here's my question.....where is he next season?Overall Cutler has played well enough to be the Bears starting QB next season. His contract is 16 Mill. next season, but 10 Mill is guaranteed no matter if he is with the team or not, so money is not really an issue.

Since Cutler has come back from his injury he has had the Bears in position to win every game into the 4th quarter, and that's with injuries all around him at WR, RB and OL. Bears are a limited team, but if you let them hang around into the 4th quarter Jay makes it interesting.

Peerless
11-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Another good game from Cutler...in hostile St. Louis. Looked pretty good against that stout defense.

bears6385
11-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Another good game from Cutler...in hostile St. Louis. Looked pretty good against that stout defense.Cutler was 19 for 24, 258 yds, 3 td's 0 int's. a 151 quarterback rating against the NFL's #5 defense. I would also say that was a pretty good day's work for Jay.

Peerless
11-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Cutler was 19 for 24, 258 yds, 3 td's 0 int's. a 151 quarterback rating against the NFL's #5 defense. I would also say that was a pretty good day's work for Jay.

Yep. Cutler is having a great season, and the Bears could be streaking. Hopefully we can put an end to that this weekend. :thumb:

DenverBlood
11-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Cutler was 19 for 24, 258 yds, 3 td's 0 int's. a 151 quarterback rating against the NFL's #5 defense. I would also say that was a pretty good day's work for Jay.

He is having a great year and I'm still a Cutler fan. However I'll still admit we have seen these elite performances before. Against great defenses.

And he could very well do it again to us again this Sunday. But what the haters bash him for is he'll do that and then turn around in two weeks and throw 3 picks against the Niners at home. A game they should win if they want to be in the playoffs.

I hope he proves me wrong except this Sunday. But odds are despite the great year he'll have a letddown in the next couple of weeks against a team he shouldn't.

Da Swerski
11-20-2015, 03:29 AM
He is having a great year and I'm still a Cutler fan. However I'll still admit we have seen these elite performances before. Against great defenses.

And he could very well do it again to us again this Sunday. But what the haters bash him for is he'll do that and then turn around in two weeks and throw 3 picks against the Niners at home. A game they should win if they want to be in the playoffs.

I hope he proves me wrong except this Sunday. But odds are despite the great year he'll have a letddown in the next couple of weeks against a team he shouldn't.

I've watched Cutler his entire Bears career. He's completely different QB this season compared to years past.

This is the least amount of talent Cutler has ever had to work with. The Bears would actually be winless if they had dumped Cutler in the off-season and had gone with Clausen as they seemingly tried to do. Alshon has missed significant time, Kevin White has been injured since training camp, and Eddie Royal is rarely on the field. While Langford is great, you're not a better team with Forte out.

Receiving issues aside the entire o-line has been makeshift all year. The starting left guard is currently at center with the starter on IR and the backup injured. Cutler himself has been injured this season, and played a couple games on one leg. The difference this year between years past is Jay if finally making the guys around him better.

Example: http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791488

Look at the box score and who he was throwing to in that game. That is an awful group of receivers, but Jay finally made guys better. He only has 5 INT's on the year so far. He's never started a season on that type of run. Denver's defense is capable of making Jay have a bad game. They made Aaron Rodgers look like a fool. That being said Cutler is a much different QB than he has been.

DenverBlood
11-20-2015, 10:30 AM
I've watched Cutler his entire Bears career. He's completely different QB this season compared to years past.

This is the least amount of talent Cutler has ever had to work with. The Bears would actually be winless if they had dumped Cutler in the off-season and had gone with Clausen as they seemingly tried to do. Alshon has missed significant time, Kevin White has been injured since training camp, and Eddie Royal is rarely on the field. While Langford is great, you're not a better team with Forte out.

Receiving issues aside the entire o-line has been makeshift all year. The starting left guard is currently at center with the starter on IR and the backup injured. Cutler himself has been injured this season, and played a couple games on one leg. The difference this year between years past is Jay if finally making the guys around him better.

Example: http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791488

Look at the box score and who he was throwing to in that game. That is an awful group of receivers, but Jay finally made guys better. He only has 5 INT's on the year so far. He's never started a season on that type of run. Denver's defense is capable of making Jay have a bad game. They made Aaron Rodgers look like a fool. That being said Cutler is a much different QB than he has been.

We also made Alex Smith look like a stud this past weekend.

CanDB
11-20-2015, 10:48 AM
I have been very critical of Jay, probably partly because I didn't want him to leave, and for other reasons that aren't worth getting into. Whatever. But based on what I have seen recently, he is playing decent football. I missed the Rams game, but his stats were off the charts. He was fine in San Diego, but he threw a pic 6, and San Diego is decimated thru injury. I believe Gase has improved his approach to playing QB.

Good on him. He will have to be good this weekend, because our D can make QBs pay. Should be a very interesting game all around.

DenverBlood
11-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Well my D made me look foolish on my defense of Cutler. He didn't look that great yesterday and that pick to Trevethan was one of his signature throwing where I shouldn't because I have a strong arm picks.

CanDB
11-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Well my D made me look foolish on my defense of Cutler. He didn't look that great yesterday and that pick to Trevethan was one of his signature throwing where I shouldn't because I have a strong arm picks.

I have seen Jay play a few games this year, and to his credit, he is playing smarter.....and I assume that's Gase's influence. But I have also seen a number of occasions where he still shoots for that small window. He has a nice touch, but still takes some fairly high risks. I see his rating is over 90, and that would be the first time in his career that he has ended up above the 80s. Lets see how he fares the rest of the way.

Thing is, this will be just good enough for them to keep him, and I can only imagine that being the wrong decision.....given he may resort to old ways, more frequently, once the Gase affect diminishes.

AC1
12-20-2015, 01:44 AM
I have seen Jay play a few games this year, and to his credit, he is playing smarter.....and I assume that's Gase's influence. But I have also seen a number of occasions where he still shoots for that small window. He has a nice touch, but still takes some fairly high risks. I see his rating is over 90, and that would be the first time in his career that he has ended up above the 80s. Lets see how he fares the rest of the way.

Thing is, this will be just good enough for them to keep him, and I can only imagine that being the wrong decision.....given he may resort to old ways, more frequently, once the Gase affect diminishes.

Cutler's performances this season have proven the point I've made here several times. He is very good when he has good coaches to work with and not as good when he doesn't. He was excellent under Mike Shanahan, very good under Mike Martz and is now playing well again under Gase.

Thing is every QB plays poorly when their coaches cannot call a good game. If a guy as good as Rodgers can struggle when someone other than McCarthy calls the plays, despite playing in the same offense for his entire career, you realize how important coaching is. Another data point was how much Drew Brees struggled the year that Sean Payton was banned. And these are the best QBs in the league.

If Gase leaves to be a head coach, the Bears should think long and hard about trading Cutler while his value is high. If Gase goes to a team like the Browns or the Rams, they should trade Cutler to Gase. In fact, the best place for Gase would be the Rams, who are just a good OC and QB away from contending.

CanDB
12-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Cutler's performances this season have proven the point I've made here several times. He is very good when he has good coaches to work with and not as good when he doesn't. He was excellent under Mike Shanahan, very good under Mike Martz and is now playing well again under Gase.

Thing is every QB plays poorly when their coaches cannot call a good game. If a guy as good as Rodgers can struggle when someone other than McCarthy calls the plays, despite playing in the same offense for his entire career, you realize how important coaching is. Another data point was how much Drew Brees struggled the year that Sean Payton was banned. And these are the best QBs in the league.

If Gase leaves to be a head coach, the Bears should think long and hard about trading Cutler while his value is high. If Gase goes to a team like the Browns or the Rams, they should trade Cutler to Gase. In fact, the best place for Gase would be the Rams, who are just a good OC and QB away from contending.

Good post my friend. I am not totally sold on Jay's performance per dollar, but he has minimized his errors, and I assume Gase deserves some of the credit. And yes, Gase and Cutler is St. Lou would be a huge improvement. That team seems so close, yet so far. They have The D, The RB, and some other talent. Time for a QB and better coaching.

You might not believe me AC, but I wouldn't flip out if Cutler was our QB going forward.

Strip Sacked
12-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Cutler... lol, I'll be honest. I am legitimately surprised that people are still talking about him.

His mentality, attitude and leadership in the huddle is total garbage. I'd rather Elway try to make a miracle happen with RG3 than try Cutler again.

Garfield
12-20-2015, 04:52 PM

He is a head case, pouting when mistakes are made and a butthole personally to everyone. Jeff George 2.0 a coach killer.
Is almost an old man with the number of hits he has taken and IIRC has never played a full 16 game schedule. (Could be wrong about that) IIRC only started 15 games twice In his career.

Lost of picks and lost fumbles. 60+ between the two turnovers

Garfield
12-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Cutler... lol, I'll be honest. I am legitimately surprised that people are still talking about him.

His mentality, attitude and leadership in the huddle is total garbage. I'd rather Elway try to make a miracle happen with RG3 than try Cutler again.

Not sure about RG3 but certainly not cutler with his cap values. We gain nada for a guy that never plays a complete season