PDA

View Full Version : Should the NFL get rid of kickoffs?

fallforward3y+
08-09-2015, 04:06 AM
I don't know how many people have considered this, but I think it may be a good idea to remove kickoffs from the NFL. To those who like playing on and/or watching kickoff team, sorry but personally I think it may be a good idea to remove kick offs from the game.

I remember when the NFL moved kickoffs up to the 35, the idea seemingly being that they wanted more touch backs. I believe a commentator once said that the NFL was hoping for every kick off to be a touch back. If you want to limit the amount of kick offs, why even have the kickoff? Why not just always have an offense start at the 20 after a score?

Kick off team seems to me to be a high injury risk. You run full speed for about 40 yards and then perhaps have a collision with a blocker. There is likely a good reason why teams often don't like to put starters on kickoff team. It's kind of strange that in a 'player safety' era that there isn't more talk of this.

I play football, and I don't like playing kick off team personally. It isn't talked about very much, however I get the sense many players feel the same, but don't want to admit they don't like it due to thinking it will look bad. It seems guys look to get off the Special Teams. Some may see it as a way to make the team, however teams have back up players, you can make a team as a back up at an offensive or defensive position. Injuries are a risk in the game imo, however I personally don't want to put an extra risk for injury on myself playing on kickoff team, and I think that the game would be good without it.

Would you guys like to see kick offs eliminated?

captainbronco
08-09-2015, 06:38 AM
Kick off was for players who didnt give an effff running full speed down the field ready to knock someone out with that being said i played high school ball and i loved kick off but kick return kinda sucked

It is high injury but a lot of guys make their living on special teams so i dont think theyll get rid of it anytime soon

samparnell
08-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Kickoffs and Punts are change of possession and an integral part of the game. They give each team an opportunity to achieve optimal FP, to score or force a turnover. Each of those possibilities has great influence on the outcome of a game when they happen.

Removing Special Teams would be another step in the direction of changing the game beyond recognition. Football is a full contact, collision team sport. Injuries have always been a possibility. Removing an integral part of the game won't change that.

Thors Hammer
08-09-2015, 08:37 AM
One question, what do you do about the onside kick?

ruksak
08-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Absolutely not.

"Kickoff" is synonymous with the NFL. I would consider a sad day if it was ever removed.

ruksak
08-09-2015, 08:40 AM

Great observation. There is a litany of strategy involved in the kickoff dynamic. Removing these subtleties presents us with a washed down game. Not to mention.... miricale comebacks just became far more rare.

Also, Patty Mac does not like this thread at all
http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2014/10/10/d2980b90be94f4aa185e868a31a38fb6.gif

Colorado1876
08-09-2015, 08:44 AM
I don't know how many people have considered this, but I think it may be a good idea to remove kickoffs from the NFL. To those who like playing on and/or watching kickoff team, sorry but personally I think it may be a good idea to remove kick offs from the game.

I remember when the NFL moved kickoffs up to the 35, the idea seemingly being that they wanted more touch backs. I believe a commentator once said that the NFL was hoping for every kick off to be a touch back. If you want to limit the amount of kick offs, why even have the kickoff? Why not just always have an offense start at the 20 after a score?

Kick off team seems to me to be a high injury risk. You run full speed for about 40 yards and then perhaps have a collision with a blocker. There is likely a good reason why teams often don't like to put starters on kickoff team. It's kind of strange that in a 'player safety' era that there isn't more talk of this.

I play football, and I don't like playing kick off team personally. It isn't talked about very much, however I get the sense many players feel the same, but don't want to admit they don't like it due to thinking it will look bad. It seems guys look to get off the Special Teams. Some may see it as a way to make the team, however teams have back up players, you can make a team as a back up at an offensive or defensive position. Injuries are a risk in the game imo, however I personally don't want to put an extra risk for injury on myself playing on kickoff team, and I think that the game would be good without it.

Would you guys like to see kick offs eliminated?
Either move kickoffs up the 50 or rename the sport.

Rastic
08-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Flag football.

Colorado1876
08-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Flag football.
Flag Throwball. Not only is kicking the ball going to be illegal, but running with the ball is also going to be illegal.

dizzolve
08-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Make it a poll

My answer is, NO.

ruksak
08-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Flag football.

You used one too many "L"s

Garfield
08-09-2015, 12:19 PM
No way Jose 👿

-Rod-
08-09-2015, 12:51 PM
No. Actually, the NFL should move the kickoff back to the old spot. Football is not the only violent sport that leads to concussions. People can choose if they want to be accountants or gladiators. Though technology made football more popular and profitable than ever, the quality of the game is at an all-time low.

Bronco51
08-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Countdown to kickoff sounds way better than countdown to first possession.

Colorado1876
08-09-2015, 03:19 PM
No. Actually, the NFL should move the kickoff back to the old spot. Football is not the only violent sport that leads to concussions. People can choose if they want to be accountants or gladiators. Though technology made football more popular and profitable than ever, the quality of the game is at an all-time low.
The original spot was the 50 yard line.

Colorado1876
08-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Countdown to kickoff sounds way better than countdown to first possession.
Especially when the game is called FOOTball.

FL BRONCO
08-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Football is a high injury risk.

No, no and Heeeeeeeeeck No. It is just as much part of the game of football as any other part.

baphamet
08-10-2015, 11:36 AM
You used one too many "L"s

hey, that's not politically correct sir! :shame:

(but i shamelessly agree with the message)

FL BRONCO
08-10-2015, 12:53 PM
This would eliminate all kinds of plays and exciting comebacks. The Seahawks would've lost to the Packers last year. One of the greatest play calls (granted it was in desperation) and all time plays and comebacks imo wouldn't have happened. And I loved the Music City Miracle, I saw it live and it was simply stunning. Too man plas and chances for future plays. I remember a game where Desond H almost single handedly beat us and we had a multiple td lead. Way to important a part of the game and a way many guys make a team (TD). Important for big plays, field position, comebacks, turnovers. IMO that would be like taking away a 1/4 of the real action. No thanks, they have taken away and stripped the game down enough already imo

fallforward3y+
08-11-2015, 01:24 AM

Not a fan at all, I don't think it should be legal.

fallforward3y+
08-11-2015, 01:35 AM
Kickoffs and Punts are change of possession and an integral part of the game. They give each team an opportunity to achieve optimal FP, to score or force a turnover. Each of those possibilities has great influence on the outcome of a game when they happen.

Removing Special Teams would be another step in the direction of changing the game beyond recognition. Football is a full contact, collision team sport. Injuries have always been a possibility. Removing an integral part of the game won't change that.

I disagree, I think the game would still feel very football like without kickoff team. There would be a change, sure however I don't think it's to the point where it wouldn't feel like football anymore. I'm only even arguing to get rid of kick off team, I didn't say anything about punt team.

Punt team and Kickoff team are different to me. Punt team is key in a team taking advantage of driving the ball further down field before they punt imo, the closer you get the further you pin them back. On punt team, there are opposing players trying to block the punt as well, so the game loses another dimension if you get rid of it. The punt blockers also would likely make it harder for a kicker to kick a touchback every time.

Kickoff team however, the ball is kicked from the same spot every time. No one tries to block it, the kicker can simply boot the ball as far as they can. If the kicker can boot it out of the back of the end zone over the returner's head, there isn't likely much the return team can do about it. If a team wanted to, they could sign a powerful legged kicker to perhaps do that every time. It doesn't really seem like a big ordeal to get rid of kick off team, and simply have the opposing team start off with the ball at the 20 after every touch down.

fallforward3y+
08-11-2015, 01:47 AM
Make it a poll

My answer is, NO.

I don't know how to do that to be honest, lol. I was more so looking for responses though as opposed to a poll, I wanted reasons for the thoughts people had.

It seems my thought is not supported here. Eh, guess I'll just have to suck up playing kick off team haha. Unfortunately on my team, no one is safe from getting on kickoff except perhaps the QB. I guess it wouldn't be too bad for me if kickoffs were eliminated. I like one on one situations ball carrier vs tackler, but we get those on offense vs defense so I'd be fine there.

CheyennePress
08-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Just get rid of offensive linemen while you are at it. They are always falling down and pulling hammies and stuff. I mean, if the game ain't broke, break it.