PDA

View Full Version : Could we see a strong decline in missed tackles

fallforward3y+
08-18-2015, 09:16 PM
If teams start implementing this in their defense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEKnbkXYlsE

This is a very well done video, with a very safe and effective tackling technique. I like how it shows a lot of examples of it being done in the games as well, instead of only having some form tackling drill where the back isn't actually trying to get yards against them.

I like the way it takes into account different situations, some tackles don't involve the head getting across the body, you won't always be able to do that, it shows you how to tackle well when you aren't able to get your head all the way across.

In one of them the back had 'favorable position'(to fall forward), showing a good tackle for that scenario as well, though it didn't specify that it was doing that. In a scenario like that...the back will likely fall forward if they do well with finishing the run. It showed a good tackle by the leg I believe..don't do a poor wrap up or let them wiggle away focused on driving them back, don't try and blast them and probably end up helping them get more yards by knocking them forward, make the tackle, try to limit the forward yardage they get.

It's good that it seems to be preparing them for different situations. This technique seems to work very well, when a leg or both legs are well wrapped up and pulled down well, the chances of breaking out of it seem to me to be slim to none, even for backs like AP and Lynch.

It could actually be a very different game if defenses start to become really good at tackling, and with this technique many of them may very well do that if they impliment it.

JT24Champ
08-18-2015, 10:49 PM
what in the world are you talking about

fallforward3y+
08-19-2015, 12:30 AM
That if defenders start using this 'hawk tackling' technique, players may start breaking a lot less tackles. That could change the game a lot, if it actually became normal for even a back like Marshawn Lynch to go down on first contact, even if he has a 1 on 1 situation, without dragging any defenders.

beastlyskronk
08-19-2015, 05:22 AM
Think you used the wrong link.

But if you're talking about wrapping the legs up and gator rolling as my coach would say then yeah. But it's easier said than done

JT24Champ
08-19-2015, 12:16 PM
That if defenders start using this 'hawk tackling' technique, players may start breaking a lot less tackles. That could change the game a lot, if it actually became normal for even a back like Marshawn Lynch to go down on first contact, even if he has a 1 on 1 situation, without dragging any defenders.

check your link again hahahhaha

58Miller
08-19-2015, 12:34 PM
If teams start implementing this in their defense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEKnbkXYlsE

This is a very well done video, with a very safe and effective tackling technique. I like how it shows a lot of examples of it being done in the games as well, instead of only having some form tackling drill where the back isn't actually trying to get yards against them.

I like the way it takes into account different situations, some tackles don't involve the head getting across the body, you won't always be able to do that, it shows you how to tackle well when you aren't able to get your head all the way across.

In one of them the back had 'favorable position'(to fall forward), showing a good tackle for that scenario as well, though it didn't specify that it was doing that. In a scenario like that...the back will likely fall forward if they do well with finishing the run. It showed a good tackle by the leg I believe..don't do a poor wrap up or let them wiggle away focused on driving them back, don't try and blast them and probably end up helping them get more yards by knocking them forward, make the tackle, try to limit the forward yardage they get.

It's good that it seems to be preparing them for different situations. This technique seems to work very well, when a leg or both legs are well wrapped up and pulled down well, the chances of breaking out of it seem to me to be slim to none, even for backs like AP and Lynch.

It could actually be a very different game if defenses start to become really good at tackling, and with this technique many of them may very well do that if they impliment it.
Not your team Broseph! With know Willis, Borland, Aldon, or Cowboy ( justin smith) your 9ers r gonna be missing a lot of tackles.
Funny link has nothing to do with your subject.

Houshmazode
08-19-2015, 02:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEKnbkXYlsE

:laugh:

Kaldiron
08-19-2015, 04:49 PM
http://public.hudl.com/club-and-youth-sports-resources/safer-tackling-with-pete-carroll/

I think this is what he was talking about

fallforward3y+
08-19-2015, 05:03 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH I posted a wrong link.

Whoops, lol. Yes, it's the Pete Carroll hawk tackling that I was talking about. No wonder there was confusion haha.

fallforward3y+
08-19-2015, 05:07 PM
LOL! I sent that link in a facebook message to someone I guess that's why that happened. Maybe I highlighted the link to the Pete Carroll video but didn't click it.

If you run at Joe Swanson though, and he was a real person...maybe he would make a leg tackle, lol.

fallforward3y+
08-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Think you used the wrong link.

But if you're talking about wrapping the legs up and gator rolling as my coach would say then yeah. But it's easier said than done

It would take a good amount of discipline. If done well, I'd say you can get anyone down, with a single leg tackle. But I suppose there is a big difference in saying that here, and executing it in a game when your worrying about finding the ball, what the play will be and etc.

It's a good technique though, for when you can get your hands on the ball carrier. You don't take the brunt of a ball carrier's force, and it can knock them off balance so superiorities in strength/power/force the ball carrier may have likely won't prevent you from making the tackle.

JPPT1974
08-19-2015, 05:50 PM
It will take a lot of discipline along with being quick and fast.

Spice 1
08-19-2015, 07:58 PM

And you can't even use Adderall as an excuse for PED's anymore. How's this crap supposed to work?

fallforward3y+
08-20-2015, 12:45 AM

Discipline yes, although with good angles you may not need as much speed. You probably wouldn't have to have a lot of quickness to use this technique on a back trying to run over you, a back that tries to juke though is a different story imo.

Catching a quick back in open field is a difficult task imo. It seems a lot harder to do that with fundamentals than bringing down a back that tries to run you over.

fallforward3y+
08-28-2015, 04:27 AM
Not your team Broseph! With know Willis, Borland, Aldon, or Cowboy ( justin smith) your 9ers r gonna be missing a lot of tackles.
Funny link has nothing to do with your subject.

I don't think you need to be an elite defender to be a good tackler, my friend. I would say that's actually part of the point I was making, of how this technique could reduce missed tackles. I don't know if the Niners will use it, but they are a pretty good tackling team imo.

You listed Borland, who was a back up on the Niners that ended up being among the leaders in tackles during the time he started I believe(I think he may have actually been THE leader), and it seemed to me he was a sure tackler even against Marshawn Lynch.

I think the Niners are pretty good as a defense at tackling, and I think they will continue to be one of the best.