PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Wayne to Play 15th Season for Colts Biggest Rival

broncoslover115
08-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Why do I just have the feeling that BB did this in order to get back at the Colts. Let's say Brady gets his 4 game suspension and guess what team he plays when he gets back. You got it, the Colts. I'm not even a Colts fan and I feel like Reggie Wayne just signed with the devil and went to the dark side.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/08/23/report-reggie-wayne-take-physical-patriots/32229849/

The call came while Reggie Wayne sat locked in the office of his Miami home, his three sons banging on the door, desperate for updates. Their dad was busy. This was March 2012 and he was weighing his future.

More to the point: He was considering signing with the New England Patriots.

"I was pretty darn close to leaving," Wayne admitted, hesitantly, late last season. "I was prepared for the worst."

The worst, for Indianapolis Colts fans, nearly came to fruition: Their beloved wide receiver electing to bolt town and suit up for the franchise's greatest adversary and most reviled opponent. Wayne, playing for Bill Belichick? Wayne, catching passes from Tom Brady? It'd be like watching Reggie Miller bury 3-pointers for the Knicks.

But no. Not Wayne. Not yet. Not after Chuck Pagano called and pleaded with his old friend to take a leap of faith.

"Can't do it without you, Reg," Pagano told him weeks after becoming the Colts' new head coach.

So Wayne stayed. Had a career year in 2012. Taught a young quarterback named Andrew Luck how to win in the NFL. Showed a young receiver named T.Y. Hilton how to come to work everyday. Helped the Colts, over the next three years, win two division titles and earn three playoff berths. By the time his contract was up, he'd surpassed Peyton Manning as the franchise's all-time leader in games played.

Thus, without that call from Pagano, while Wayne sat locked in his office weighing his future, Colts fans might've been introduced to Monday's sobering headline three and a half years ago. That is: Reggie Wayne now plays for the New England Patriots.

"I won't believe it until I see it," Colts cornerback Vontae Davis said. "I can't even picture Reggie Wayne in a Patriots uniform."

He'll see it soon enough. We all will.

What almost happened in 2012 happened Monday because the Colts allowed it to become a possibility. They left Wayne, remember, he didn't leave them. It was March when the team informed Wayne they wouldn't pursue him in free agency. Thanks for everything, Reggie. Good luck.

broncolee
08-25-2015, 12:14 PM
He's a traitor!😀😈🙉🙈🙊

samparnell
08-25-2015, 12:22 PM
I wonder how it will turn out for him? Like Randy Moss, or more like Chad Ochocinco? :confused:

theMileHighGuy
08-25-2015, 02:04 PM
I think it's pretty ridiculous for Indy newspapers to call him a traitor after he gave them the best 14 years of his life. Indy left Reggie, not the other way around. NE goes to Indy week 6, and I hope he destroys them, personally.

Freyaka
08-25-2015, 04:29 PM
I wonder how it will turn out for him? Like Randy Moss, or more like Chad Ochocinco? :confused:

Or worse yet Brandon Lloyd.

Freyaka
08-25-2015, 04:30 PM
I think it's pretty ridiculous for Indy newspapers to call him a traitor after he gave them the best 14 years of his life. Indy left Reggie, not the other way around. NE goes to Indy week 6, and I hope he destroys them, personally.

He kinda is a traitor man...That would be like Shannon Sharpe leaving us for the Raiders instead of the Ravens...

samparnell
08-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Or worse yet Brandon Lloyd.

A third possible comparison.

fallforward3y+
08-25-2015, 11:59 PM
I don't like to call players traitors, it's hard to say what went down between Reggie and Colts personnel in person. Basically to me, just because I may be a fan of a team, doesn't mean he owes them some loyalty if they want to get rid of him. If you let someone go, to me you shouldn't be upset if anyone signs them-even your rivals...and even if they tell your rivals your secrets.

As to how he will do in New England, it's hard to say. We'll see how well he fits into them. I believe he is pretty good at shorter routes, NE is a big short passing team. They have guys like Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Vareen and Lafell they like to throw to, however they are a spread the ball around type of team imo. Hopefully he can find his way into their rotation. I doubt he'll be a #1 receiver there though, though I could be wrong.

When they play Indy, well he may give them some insight on the Colts and have a good game against them however it seems the Pats already know how to play the Colts pretty well, lol. They seem to run the ball alot when they play the Colts, and run it well, they may not throw very much.

broncoslover115
09-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Reggie Wayne asked to be released from the Patriots today and they respected his wishes. Apparently he is weighing his future options. Perhaps he might announce a retirement. Who knows.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523186/article/reggie-wayne-granted-release-from-patriots