PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Smart Picking Up James Jones

CanDB
09-14-2015, 09:02 PM
I like The Packers. They're my 2nd favourite team in the NFL. With a little luck and smarter play, they could have won it all last season, even with a limping QB. But that's the past.

Many of the experts like their chances this year and rightfully so. Rodgers is easily one of the very best QBs in the league. They have a quality Oline, Lacy has become a top tier RB, their D has some key pieces (Clay and Julius set the tone) and are a good unit overall, and going into this season they had a highly touted set of receivers. I also like their HC. But Jordy Nelson went down, and things get a little dicey.

Then came a very unexpected signing, picking up James Jones who had moved on, and was seemingly lost in translation. But the moment I heard about it, I felt that they had just solved a good part of the problem, losing Nelson. Cobb is fantastic, and Adams is on the rise. But was it enough? But Jones comes to this team with good memories, and Rodgers built some real trust in him over the years. And not too unexpectedly, he came through in game one. Two TDs for that matter.

No doubt Aaron still trusts him, and along with Cobb and Adams, this team again has a high quality receiving corps.

I am not saying he will be the difference, but I am confident he will help fill some of that gap left when Jordy went down, as will Adams. And if they stay healthy as a team, I expect this roster maneuver (which complements the solid team they already had) to help The Pack go deep this year. Whether they win it all is another question. But they are helping to give themselves a chance.

fallforward3y+
09-15-2015, 05:50 AM
Familiarity with the system and Rodgers should help, they seem to do a good job of finding a good role for receivers up in Green Bay. Familiarity seemingly can make a huge difference in a player's success, being used to doing things a certain way. WR is a position where it's easier to move guys in and out, and find ways to effectively utilize them than others. Nowadays, offensive coordinators seem brilliant at finding what a WR does well and using it. NE and NO are great at it especially. I do believe GB's passing attack will be great again, and do think this was a good move.

As to the Packers success, Detroit is probably their biggest competition in the division I'd say. The Vikings to me will probably HUGELY dissapoint those who had high hopes for them, and the Bears seem a bit better, but probably not good enough to contend for the division.

The Packers are perhaps the best team in the NFL at home, and could very well go 8-0 at home again, probably no worse than 7-1 I'd say unless Rodgers gets injured(hopefully that doesn't happen). HFA would be huge for them if they get that in the playoffs.

Of course, there is one team out there that may feel good about their chances to win in Green Bay, the only one that has won there with Rodgers starting since 2012, that has done it twice ;)

CanDB
09-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Familiarity with the system and Rodgers should help, they seem to do a good job of finding a good role for receivers up in Green Bay. Familiarity seemingly can make a huge difference in a player's success, being used to doing things a certain way. WR is a position where it's easier to move guys in and out, and find ways to effectively utilize them than others. Nowadays, offensive coordinators seem brilliant at finding what a WR does well and using it. NE and NO are great at it especially. I do believe GB's passing attack will be great again, and do think this was a good move.

As to the Packers success, Detroit is probably their biggest competition in the division I'd say. The Vikings to me will probably HUGELY dissapoint those who had high hopes for them, and the Bears seem a bit better, but probably not good enough to contend for the division.

The Packers are perhaps the best team in the NFL at home, and could very well go 8-0 at home again, probably no worse than 7-1 I'd say unless Rodgers gets injured(hopefully that doesn't happen). HFA would be huge for them if they get that in the playoffs.

Of course, there is one team out there that may feel good about their chances to win in Green Bay, the only one that has won there with Rodgers starting since 2012, that has done it twice ;)

You talkin 49ers? Hey, they were a really good team. I give them credit too, for coming up pretty big last night. Good on them!

As for The Pack, outside of injury, I see them going far. But Sunday will be a big test, against Seattle. I hope they get some form of revenge. I still believe they deserved to win the NFC title, even on the road and with an injured Rodgers, but hey, it's long gone.

fallforward3y+
09-16-2015, 12:05 AM
You talkin 49ers? Hey, they were a really good team. I give them credit too, for coming up pretty big last night. Good on them!

As for The Pack, outside of injury, I see them going far. But Sunday will be a big test, against Seattle. I hope they get some form of revenge. I still believe they deserved to win the NFC title, even on the road and with an injured Rodgers, but hey, it's long gone.

Yes, that is the team I meant, they seem to play GB well. It's kind of unbelievable really, in 3 years no one but SFO has won in GB with Rodgers starting, and they did it twice.

It's hard to say it was deserved by GB for me, that really wasn't a very well played game overall by either team IMO. You have a team that played poorly for most of the game but won, and then a team that couldn't win a game when the other team had like 5 turnovers.

However, I do think there is a strong chance they beat the Seahawks. I'm unsure of how they will finish this year, I suppose we shall see. I do think they have a good chance to go far though, and a decent shot at a Super Bowl win.