PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 NBA players of all time

Chillez
09-21-2015, 04:15 PM
I was thinking about this recently and thought why not just for fun over last couple of years I have done ton of research on pervious era's and watched lot of film on some of all-time greats and not just highlights. Here is mine, feel free to list yours.

1) Michael Jordan
2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3) Magic Johnson
4) Bill Russell
5) Wilt Chamberlain
6) Kobe Bryant
7) Tim Duncan
8) Larry Bird
9) Shaquille O'Neal
10) Lebron James

11) Hakeem toss up between Lebron and Hakeem for now.

HUMCALC
09-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Instead of doing it by top 10, I'll go by position

PG: Stockton
SG: MJ
SF: LBJ
PF: Malone (although I prefer Rodman)
C: Kareem & Shaq (tie)

Backups:

PG: Magic
SG: Kobe
SF: Bird
PF: Dirk

Chillez
09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Instead of doing it by top 10, I'll go by position

PG: Stockton
SG: MJ
SF: LBJ
PF: Malone (although I prefer Rodman)
C: Kareem & Shaq (tie)

Backups:

PG: Magic
SG: Kobe
SF: Bird
PF: Dirk

That works, but how in the hell is Stockton above the GOAT PG in Magic. Heck even Stockton would pick Magic over himself.

HUMCALC
09-21-2015, 04:42 PM
That works, but how in the hell is Stockton above the GOAT PG in Magic. Heck even Stockton would pick Magic over himself.

Magic had more talent, but without Kareem, he didn't get very far. Stockton is the ALL-TIME ASSIST & STEALS leader for a reason

58Miller
09-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Coolthread Chillez! I gotta go with the guys I saw play:
C Hakeem Olaujawon
PG MAGIC Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF Larry Bird
PF Charles Barkley

Bench:
C- Tim Duncan
PG - Gary Payton
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF - Scottie Pippin
PF - Dirk Nowitzki

Note: Lebron is the best athlete I've ever seen in the nba but I get the impression he doesn't want the ball at the end of games sometimes.

Spice 1
09-21-2015, 08:44 PM
1 Michael Jordan
2 Wilt Chamberlain
3 Kareem Abdul Jabbar
4 Bill Russell
5 LeBron James
6 Earvin Johnson
7 Larry Bird
8 Hakeem Olajuwon
9 Shaquille O'Neal
10 Kobe Bryant

Honorable:
Tim Duncan
Oscar Robertson

beastlyskronk
09-22-2015, 02:25 AM
I'd have Bird much higher in the list. Not saying he's better than Jordan but 8-0 against him in the playoffs and 23-11 in the regular season. Birds game wasn't pretty but he was money on the court even after the back injury.

Pat Riley once said he'd take MJ if the game was on the line but he'd take Bird if his life was on the line.

Rancid
09-22-2015, 05:11 AM
Coolthread Chillez! I gotta go with the guys I saw play:
C Hakeem Olaujawon
PG MAGIC Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF Larry Bird
PF Charles Barkley

Bench:
C- Tim Duncan
PG - Gary Payton
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF - Scottie Pippin
PF - Dirk Nowitzki

Note: Lebron is the best athlete I've ever seen in the nba but I get the impression he doesn't want the ball at the end of games sometimes.

Good to see Scottie Pippen! He would be an automatic on most lists if he'd not played in the shadow of MJ.

HUMCALC
09-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Good to see Scottie Pippen! He would be an automatic on most lists if he'd not played in the shadow of MJ.

Scottie's good, but he's not an ALL-TIME great. You can tell that by the fact that when the game was on the line, Phil wouldn't give him the ball, but rather give it to Kukoc. Also what did he accomplish outside of CHI?

58Miller
09-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Scottie's good, but he's not an ALL-TIME great. You can tell that by the fact that when the game was on the line, Phil wouldn't give him the ball, but rather give it to Kukoc. Also what did he accomplish outside of CHI?
I chose Pippen because of his ability to lock down guys defensively which allowed MJ to have the energy to attack the other team, Pippen also could handle the ball, and score, I view my top ten as a team not individuals, I would want guys like Pippen who can do whatever is needed, your right he is not a top 10 player all time I'd say top 50.

Spice 1
09-23-2015, 11:23 AM
I chose Pippen because of his ability to lock down guys defensively which allowed MJ to have the energy to attack the other team, Pippen also could handle the ball, and score, I view my top ten as a team not individuals, I would want guys like Pippen who can do whatever is needed, your right he is not a top 10 player all time I'd say top 50.

Definitely top 50. I'd have him somewhere between 25-40.

Rancid
09-23-2015, 11:52 AM

I have a different opinion:

1991 NBA All-Defensive Second Team
1992 U.S. Olympic basketball team; NBA All-Star Team; NBA All-Defensive First Team
1993 NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team
1994 NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team and MVP
1995 NBA All-Star Team; All-NBA First Team
1996 Gold medal as part of U.S. Olympic basketball team; NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team; named among NBA's 50 greatest basketball players of all time
1997 NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team
1998 All-NBA Third Team
1999 NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team
2000 NBA All-Defensive Second Team

Not to mention the best dunk evvvvvvveeerrr!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SYmae9FhkQ

Dennis.1960
09-23-2015, 12:22 PM
No mention of Dr J??? The man single handedly changed the game by making the flying dunk the signature move of the NBA ;)

HUMCALC
09-23-2015, 02:59 PM
I have a different opinion:

1991 NBA All-Defensive Second Team
1992 U.S. Olympic basketball team; NBA All-Star Team; NBA All-Defensive First Team
1993 NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team
1994 NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team and MVP
1995 NBA All-Star Team; All-NBA First Team
1996 Gold medal as part of U.S. Olympic basketball team; NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team; named among NBA's 50 greatest basketball players of all time
1997 NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team
1998 All-NBA Third Team
1999 NBA All-Defensive First Team; NBA All-Star Team
2000 NBA All-Defensive Second Team

Not to mention the best dunk evvvvvvveeerrr!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SYmae9FhkQ

He'd be closer to the 40-50 range, than 1-20

Rancid
09-23-2015, 03:55 PM
He'd be closer to the 40-50 range, than 1-20

You would not put Pippen in the top 20? That surprises me! I would have him in my top-10. That 1994 All-Star game he was wearing those red shoes and he was unstoppable. He was on MJ's level.

Spice 1
09-23-2015, 08:02 PM
No mention of Dr J??? The man single handedly changed the game by making the flying dunk the signature move of the NBA ;)

I agree with you. The impact he had on the game alone makes him top 15. Personally, I put him 13-15. Somewhere in there. It's a shame his best years were, for the most part, spent in the ABA and on inferior teams. Another guy, who I think is the most underrated player in NBA history, is George Mikan. For the same reasons we like Dr. J. He changed the game. George Mikan, IMO, was the NBA equivalent of Jim Brown. He destroyed everybody, so they changed the design of the court.

You would not put Pippen in the top 20? That surprises me! I would have him in my top-10. That 1994 All-Star game he was wearing those red shoes and he was unstoppable. He was on MJ's level.

I can see Pippen in top 30, maybe. I can see that. My list, though. I'd have to consider the following guys before Scottie:
Tim Duncan
Oscar Robertson
Jerry West
Julius Erving
Moses Malone
Bob Pettit
Elgin Baylor
John Havlicek
George Mikan
Isiah Thomas
Charles Barkley

Once you get into Karl Malone, Stockton, Barry territory, then I can start thinking about Pippen. I agree though. There's only a small handful of SFs in league history with his skill set. Pippen, Grant Hill (before injury), and LBJ. If you want to throw Magic in there, then yeah, but it's a short list. There are a lot of guys who can do most of the things he did, but not as well as he did them.

Dennis.1960
09-23-2015, 09:52 PM
I agree with you. The impact he had on the game alone makes him top 15. Personally, I put him 13-15. Somewhere in there. It's a shame his best years were, for the most part, spent in the ABA and on inferior teams. Another guy, who I think is the most underrated player in NBA history, is George Mikan. For the same reasons we like Dr. J. He changed the game. George Mikan, IMO, was the NBA equivalent of Jim Brown. He destroyed everybody, so they changed the design of the court.

Ya, his most dominant performances as far as overall stats were back in the ABA, when he got to the 76ers he changed his game and was told to focus only on scoring (most people don't realize that when he retired, Dr J was ranked #1 in steals). Been thinking about this today, and came up with some crazy parallels between Dr J's NBA career and John Elway's NFL career. Check it out:

1) Both entered the professional league refusing to play for the team that drafted/owned their contracts (New Jersey Nets/Baltimore Colts)
2) Both won a league MVP about 5 years into their career (Dr J: 1981, Elway: 1987)
3) Both were considered athletically dominant in their position in ways the league hadn't seen before (Dr J's soaring dunks, Elway's cannon arm)
4) Both carried their teams on their shoulders to the championship, only to lose their 1st 3 tries (Dr J: '77, '80, '82: Elway '86, '87, '89)
5) Both finally won a championship after their team was rebuilt around their unique talent to give them some help (Dr J got Moses Malone: '83, Elway got TD and a lot of high caliber players '97, '98)
6) Both did not win the MVP in their 1st championship victory ('83: Moses Malone, '97: Terrell Davis)
7) Both won their final championship after an amazing regular season (Sixers '83 team set the record for 2nd highest regular season victories, Broncos '98 started the season out 13-0)
8) Both won their 1st championship in comeback fashion (In every game of the Sixers 1983 4 game sweep of the Lakers, they were losing at halftime. The Bronco-Packer game was tied in Q4)
9) Both had their numbers retired by their teams (Dr J actually had 3 numbers retired, "32" from his New York/New Jersey Nets ABA days, "6" from his Sixer days, and "32" from his college days at UMass)
10) Each player encapsulated their entire career into a single play (Dr J's baseline flight around Kareem, Elway's SB helicopter)
11) Both players left their name all over the record books

Well that's about it...of course Elway was able to repeat as SB champion, win the MVP and ride off on the white horse to history. Dr J and The Sixers were never able to return to the championship after winning it all in '83.

12) Oh ya, I got to see both play and beat the home team (Dr J over the Warriors in '83, Elway over the 9ers in '88) :D

Southstander
10-18-2015, 07:09 PM
1. Bill Russell
2. Michael Jordon
3. Larry Bird
4. Magic
5. Lebron James

I am not that big of a basketball fan, but would love To learn more about the history.

Chillez
04-25-2016, 01:35 PM
Updated.

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Magic
4) Russell
5) Kobe
6) Wilt
7) Duncan
8) Bird
9) Shaq
10) Lebron

11) Hakeem

JJBroncoFan
06-06-2017, 08:48 PM
I was going to create a thread similar to this, but stumbled upon this one on the second page. So, bump, let's get the conversation going and updated a bit!

A few things before I list mine, love seeing Hakeem mentioned often in here! The guy was amazing, maybe the best defender ever, and certainly one of the most nimble big men to ever play the game. He completely dominated the league during their first championship year, as the lone star on that team. MVP, Defensive player of the year, and finals MVP and one of the best seasons in NBA history. Oh yeah, one of four quadruple doubles of all time, and he may have been robbed of a second, which is up for debate.

Now the tough part, the top ten list. This can change by the hour as memories and thoughts come to mind pushing out the others, but not by much.

1) Michael Jordan, no brainer
2) Kareem Abdul Jabar
3) Magic Johnson
4) Bill Russell
5) Walt Chamberlain
6) Larry Bird
7) Hakeem Olajuwon
8) Tim Duncan
9) Shaquille O'Neal
10) Kobe Bryant
11) LeBron James

I only went to 11 because I had to show where I land LeBron. I think one could move him anywhere between 11 and 8 and I could understand the argument. I don't believe he has reached Kobe though, but he is very close. Kobe and Shaq are hard to land because two of the top ten playing together in their prime is ridiculous (Magic and Kareem short lived). I can't bring myself to put him above Duncan though, maybe if he brings the Cavs back this year I will reconsider.

I know some will think Hakeem is high, but had he played against Wilt, Russell and Kareem in their primes he would imo be in the top 5 ever, and pushed those guys down.

So, there it is, hope it kicks up some debate and input!

Rancid
06-06-2017, 10:30 PM
I think some other names have to be considered.

Dominique Wilkins comes to mind.

JJBroncoFan
06-07-2017, 04:48 AM
I think some other names have to be considered.

Dominique Wilkins comes to mind.

Dominique was a monster, agreed. I just don't see him as having a legit case for top 10, I see him in the top 25 though. Where do you see him?

Spice 1
06-07-2017, 08:04 AM
I was going to create a thread similar to this, but stumbled upon this one on the second page. So, bump, let's get the conversation going and updated a bit!

A few things before I list mine, love seeing Hakeem mentioned often in here! The guy was amazing, maybe the best defender ever, and certainly one of the most nimble big men to ever play the game. He completely dominated the league during their first championship year, as the lone star on that team. MVP, Defensive player of the year, and finals MVP and one of the best seasons in NBA history. Oh yeah, one of four quadruple doubles of all time, and he may have been robbed of a second, which is up for debate.

Now the tough part, the top ten list. This can change by the hour as memories and thoughts come to mind pushing out the others, but not by much.

1) Michael Jordan, no brainer
2) Kareem Abdul Jabar
3) Magic Johnson
4) Bill Russell
5) Walt Chamberlain
6) Larry Bird
7) Hakeem Olajuwon
8) Tim Duncan
9) Shaquille O'Neal
10) Kobe Bryant
11) LeBron James

I only went to 11 because I had to show where I land LeBron. I think one could move him anywhere between 11 and 8 and I could understand the argument. I don't believe he has reached Kobe though, but he is very close. Kobe and Shaq are hard to land because two of the top ten playing together in their prime is ridiculous (Magic and Kareem short lived). I can't bring myself to put him above Duncan though, maybe if he brings the Cavs back this year I will reconsider.

I know some will think Hakeem is high, but had he played against Wilt, Russell and Kareem in their primes he would imo be in the top 5 ever, and pushed those guys down.

So, there it is, hope it kicks up some debate and input!

I agree w/you about Hakeem. I guess I'm on team Horry, like you, with those who think Hakeem was a better player than Duncan. Duncan had incredible longevity and success, but that's as much a tribute to Popovich and that front office. Olajuwon was the best offensive and defensive player in the league for two years in the mid '90s. Duncan could handle the ball a little, had a good mid range jumper, good post game, and was a really good defender, but he was never THE guy at any one thing. Olajuwon would absolutely murder people with his post game. IMO, best post game in NBA History. Kareem had one near unstoppable move. Shaq had elite ability and good post moves. Wilt was a freak, but none of them had game like Hakeem had. He had counter moves to counter moves, and didn't have to think for five seconds before using them. He already knew what he was going to do, or he just did it based on what the defense did. For a few years he was the eraser in the NBA. You couldn't get a shot up around the hoop. Duncan was a force inside, but there were other guys who were better rim protectors during his prime (Mutombo and Howard to name a couple). The Olajuwon/Shaq debate is a tough one for me. Olajuwon got the better of him head to head, but Shaq wasn't in his prime yet.

We disagree on LBJ, of course, but we've beaten that one into the ground before. When it comes to Bird and Magic, pick one IMO. If Bird hadn't injured his back though, I would take Bird.The 3 bigs is always an interesting debate. You can make a really good argument for all three in any order, and I've had them in different orders over the years. I might read something about one of them, or see some tape that makes me go back and reconsider. So regardless of order, basically take Duncan out, put LeBron in, and we've got the same guys. The one thing I always wondered about though, is where Oscar Robertson would be remembered if free agency existed back then.

ELWAY421
06-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Too many variables. Russell played in a time when there were like 10 teams in the league.Too hard to compare era's.

Michael Jordan is the best overall player I have ever watched. I started watching in the early 80's during the Lakers/Celtics heyday.

If you take total package, I'm putting LeBron in my top 4 of just best basketball players I've ever seen. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Cavs fan, I'm saying that because he can do it all. He can score, rebound, assist, steal, block, his basketball IQ is second to none.

JJBroncoFan
06-07-2017, 11:09 AM
I agree w/you about Hakeem. I guess I'm on team Horry, like you, with those who think Hakeem was a better player than Duncan. Duncan had incredible longevity and success, but that's as much a tribute to Popovich and that front office. Olajuwon was the best offensive and defensive player in the league for two years in the mid '90s. Duncan could handle the ball a little, had a good mid range jumper, good post game, and was a really good defender, but he was never THE guy at any one thing. Olajuwon would absolutely murder people with his post game. IMO, best post game in NBA History. Kareem had one near unstoppable move. Shaq had elite ability and good post moves. Wilt was a freak, but none of them had game like Hakeem had. He had counter moves to counter moves, and didn't have to think for five seconds before using them. He already knew what he was going to do, or he just did it based on what the defense did. For a few years he was the eraser in the NBA. You couldn't get a shot up around the hoop. Duncan was a force inside, but there were other guys who were better rim protectors during his prime (Mutombo and Howard to name a couple). The Olajuwon/Shaq debate is a tough one for me. Olajuwon got the better of him head to head, but Shaq wasn't in his prime yet.

We disagree on LBJ, of course, but we've beaten that one into the ground before. When it comes to Bird and Magic, pick one IMO. If Bird hadn't injured his back though, I would take Bird.The 3 bigs is always an interesting debate. You can make a really good argument for all three in any order, and I've had them in different orders over the years. I might read something about one of them, or see some tape that makes me go back and reconsider. So regardless of order, basically take Duncan out, put LeBron in, and we've got the same guys. The one thing I always wondered about though, is where Oscar Robertson would be remembered if free agency existed back then.

I can't argue with a single thing you said, last year moved LeBron for me quite a bit. Him being at 11 isn't really me knocking him, just so many great players. I could definitely see the argument trading him with Duncan and being okay with the list. Actually, the more I think about it, it's probably very fair. Oscar Robinson almost made it on my list, but I couldn't trade anyone out, fantastic point. As far as Bird, I try to be fair because of his injuries. My heart tells me MJ, then a tie between Magic and Bird for two.