PDA

View Full Version : There are far too many flags in the NFL.... its a black mark on the league

bronx_2003
09-28-2015, 12:49 PM
I love the NFL and it is a great sport, in England we have fantastic coverage... 5 live games a week + Redzone, it is growing over here and we have 3 Wembley games that I will be going to, but I HATE the amount of flags thrown by the referees, it breaks up the flow of the game and just gets annoying to the point that some games become hard to watch.

A commentator this week.... I think it was Collingsworth.... said he spoke to a referee who told him they didn't want to throw so many flags but are worried about getting marked down.

This year there have been more penalties per game then ever before, but this thread is not in response to that, its something I have noticed the last 5 years.

I have heard the referees and commentators say that if there is ANY DOUBT they will throw a flag.. a slight pull on the shirt, a slight arm lock, etc....... but SURELY it should be the other way round. For the good of the game they should be told that if its close then DON'T throw a flag. ONLY THROW ONE IF ITS A BLATANT AND OBVIOUS FOUL.

I love to see a referee who lets the guys play and doesn't throw a flag for a minor offense. As a Bronco fan I like to see the other teams get flagged if they are playing us but if they suddenly made a point to let the guys play and cut down on flags I wouldn't moan if we didn't get a call or 2 because the game would be better for it.

I have had friends who have watched a game for the first time and enjoyed the big plays but HATE how many flags there are which keeps stopping the game and breaking up the flow of it and it really turns them off the NFL.

Please Goodell and Owners - If its close then DON'T throw the flag. Make an effort to cut down on them by only throwing one if its blatant and make an effort to reduce the amount of penalties for the good of the game.

DevilSpawn
09-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Tired of the flags. Not just against but in the entire league.

MH Stampede
09-28-2015, 02:44 PM
I love the NFL and it is a great sport, in England we have fantastic coverage... 5 live games a week + Redzone, it is growing over here and we have 3 Wembley games that I will be going to, but I HATE the amount of flags thrown by the referees, it breaks up the flow of the game and just gets annoying to the point that some games become hard to watch.

A commentator this week.... I think it was Collingsworth.... said he spoke to a referee who told him they didn't want to throw so many flags but are worried about getting marked down.

This year there have been more penalties per game then ever before, but this thread is not in response to that, its something I have noticed the last 5 years.

I have heard the referees and commentators say that if there is ANY DOUBT they will throw a flag.. a slight pull on the shirt, a slight arm lock, etc....... but SURELY it should be the other way round. For the good of the game they should be told that if its close then DON'T throw a flag. ONLY THROW ONE IF ITS A BLATANT AND OBVIOUS FOUL.

I love to see a referee who lets the guys play and doesn't throw a flag for a minor offense. As a Bronco fan I like to see the other teams get flagged if they are playing us but if they suddenly made a point to let the guys play and cut down on flags I wouldn't moan if we didn't get a call or 2 because the game would be better for it.

I have had friends who have watched a game for the first time and enjoyed the big plays but HATE how many flags there are which keeps stopping the game and breaking up the flow of it and it really turns them off the NFL.

Please Goodell and Owners - If its close then DON'T throw the flag. Make an effort to cut down on them by only throwing one if its blatant and make an effort to reduce the amount of penalties for the good of the game.

My biggest issue isnt the number of flags, I may not like some of the rules, but that is always going to be the case.

My big issue, is that those flags arent consistent. Not just from game to game, or week to week. But within each game.

If it is a foul for one team, it is a foul for both teams. Often that is not the case. Nearly every weekend it happens, where there will be flags thrown at one team for something, but not against the other. THAT, is a real problem.

broncoslover115
09-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Some games are becoming unwatchable. Not only are they throwing so many damn flags but then they have to huddle up and hold a conference for 5 minutes to discuss their indecision about throwing said flags.

Chillez
09-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Tired of the flags. Not just against but in the entire league.

Yeah way too many flags been thrown it's getting tiresome.

dizzolve
09-28-2015, 06:19 PM
The worst part is when flags change the outcome of games.

Make the players decide outcomes. Like Pass Interference - why do we assume the receiver would have caught the ball if he wasn't interfered with, yet the extra point is moved back so that we don't assume it's a gimmie anymore?

PI needs fixed. Too many times I've seen bad calls decide games. I know you're not talking about the quality of officiating but it does parallel quantity.

I have personal problems with a few refs in particular. Tripplett, Vinovich etc - ....... egos shouldn't be part of officiating. Thank god it's not as bad as Baseball for that - but still ......They're supposed to be neutral.

Last night was a good example of too many flags.......... and terrible officiating

I think with all the recent lawsuits and new discoveries regarding player health and the effects of the game on the human body, there has been the attempt to manage those things with penalties. So consequently there are lots more of em

RocketArm006
09-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Goodell is trying to delegate injury out of the game. I swear some if these "penalties" should be called 15 yard playing football penalties.

Too many rule changes. Too many "areas of emphasis" for officials. So many personal fouls that are the equivalent of brushing up against someone.

I understand trying to eliminate egregious violence, but it is getting out if hand. I'm just waiting for Goodell to make the official announcement that they are moving to flag football.

Rancid
09-29-2015, 11:42 AM
I am not very disappointed in the flags this year. Other than the Chris Harris, Jr. PI call and the call against Ware going low on Alex Smith; I thought the calls have mostly been good ones.

It seems like most replays I see there is a face mask, a hold, or a helmet-to-helmet that could have been called, but was not.

The players have to take responsibility and clean up their game. Anyone that ever played football knows you don't do certain things and to see pro players doing it is just stupid on their part.

Garfield
09-29-2015, 12:59 PM
I am not very disappointed in the flags this year. Other than the Chris Harris, Jr. PI call and the call against Ware going low on Alex Smith; I thought the calls have mostly been good ones.

It seems like most replays I see there is a face mask, a hold, or a helmet-to-helmet that could have been called, but was not.

The players have to take responsibility and clean up their game. Anyone that ever played football knows you don't do certain things and to see pro players doing it is just stupid on their part.
Overall I agree with you.

In my 50plus years of watching games. I believe that unless there is a bias crew like Vinovich or a stupid crew like Triplett that calls tend to even out over the Game.
I've seen lousy calls and a few plays later another lousy or iFFY call as what I see as a make up call for the bad one.

I'm a believer if they see someone hold, it should be called.

As for player doing dumb things you have to admit they are not Mensa candidates.

bronx_2003
09-29-2015, 01:17 PM

You must be one of the few people who like seeing flags, but to each their own I guess

HUMCALC
09-29-2015, 01:18 PM
I HATE formation and procedure penalties, they need to lose those

Dennis.1960
09-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Goodell is trying to delegate injury out of the game. I swear some if these "penalties" should be called 15 yard playing football penalties.

Too many rule changes. Too many "areas of emphasis" for officials. So many personal fouls that are the equivalent of brushing up against someone.

I understand trying to eliminate egregious violence, but it is getting out if hand. I'm just waiting for Goodell to make the official announcement that they are moving to flag football.

Same here. I think it's a combination of the league paranoia about concussion lawsuits and the fact that they seem to be attempting to over-protect the stars of the league by seriously touchy penalty flag trigger fingers. It's overreaction taken to the extreme. Can you imagine if they called penalties like this during Elway's playing career? He probably would have wound up with 600 TD passes instead of 300 ;)

bronx_2003
09-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Overall I agree with you.

In my 50plus years of watching games. I believe that unless there is a bias crew like Vinovich or a stupid crew like Triplett that calls tend to even out over the Game.
I've seen lousy calls and a few plays later another lousy or iFFY call as what I see as a make up call for the bad one.

I'm a believer if they see someone hold, it should be called.

As for player doing dumb things you have to admit they are not Mensa candidates.

I think common sense has to come in though, I see too many big flags on defensive backs who brush someones arm or back and the offense get a cheap first down thats a joke.

There are more flags statistically per game this year then ever before, I'm sure the players are not suddenly playing bad / illegal football all of a sudden, there's a clear emphasis by the ref's and league to throw flags, and I don't know many who think that benefits the game

Rastic
09-29-2015, 01:42 PM
I think common sense has to come in though, I see too many big flags on defensive backs who brush someones arm or back and the offense get a cheap first down thats a joke.

There are more flags statistically per game this year then ever before, I'm sure the players are not suddenly playing bad / illegal football all of a sudden, there's a clear emphasis by the ref's and league to throw flags, and I don't know many who think that benefits the game

But that is only true, if stories are correct, because the emphasis is now when in doubt throw the flag instead of the other way around.

I'm fine with penalties, they are necessary but the refs should not be made to cause extra confusion because there might have been a penalty.

They need to go back to when you see it, call it.

Garfield
09-29-2015, 04:30 PM
You must be one of the few people who like seeing flags, but to each their own I guess

I don't like them but it is time ALL players stay within the rules.

The first time a bronco gets a knee nuked because of a cheap shot.

Many on here will be whining about how lax the refs are.

Do the crime pay the YARDS.

Garfield
09-29-2015, 04:37 PM

Every year there are new rules of emphasis and it takes time for the players to understand they will be flagged for breaking them.

Once everyone understands this then fewer flags are thrown.

It is week three let's talk about this come about week 5-6. I suspect that most of this will be history.

But let's be fair the refs are graded also if they allow a foul and do not throw it they are dinged. More dings and fewer if any playoff games or worse they are fired.

Lots of young college refs coming up that want their jobs.

GEE a lot like vets and rookies fighting for a job in the NFL.

Rancid
09-29-2015, 04:59 PM

Yup, I am one of those people. And, apparently so are some of the people over at SB Nation who write about sports professionally.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/9/29/9411289/its-time-for-the-denver-broncos-defense-to-clean-up-those-penalties?_ga=1.104400260.526419011.1443570871

bronx_2003
09-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Yup, I am one of those people. And, apparently so are some of the people over at SB Nation who write about sports professionally.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/9/29/9411289/its-time-for-the-denver-broncos-defense-to-clean-up-those-penalties?_ga=1.104400260.526419011.1443570871

Yep, real experts lol.

The thread isn't moaning about Denver being victimized by the league, its about a problem in the game many fans hate

fallforward3y+
09-30-2015, 05:57 AM
I HATE formation and procedure penalties, they need to lose those

I would actually like to see them allow a team to put as many receivers off the ball as they like, not having to put any on the LOS. But of course, with no procedure or illegal formation penalties I believe that would make the Pats now illegal trick play versus the Ravens legal again ;)

fallforward3y+
09-30-2015, 06:18 AM

I recall a well timed hit by a Packers DB on a Chiefs receiver, causing the Chiefs receiver to drop the ball, no penalty. He timed it well, delivering what seemed like a hard hit, causing a drop. He did not hit him in the helmet, and yet the ball was dropped.

I have a VERY hard time buying that it is SOOOOO hard to do your job as a DB with the hitting penalties. The PI penalties maybe, but with the hitting penalties it just seems like they are complaining about it being a little bit harder to deliver a big hit on a receiver who isn't running with the ball yet.

If your relying heavily on dislodging the ball with hard hits, then unless your timing them very well, to me your putting the game more into the receivers hands, because they could still very well catch it after the hit. Sure, the hit can make hit harder, but if they concentrate well, they could still very well hang on. I think going for the ball is a better strategy.

I don't really mind the helmet-helmet rules.

broncolee
09-30-2015, 02:16 PM
There probably aren't enough flags being thrown.

Players should be forced to play without breaking the rules. They shouldn't be allowed to break the rules because the league is worried about watchability.

bronx_2003
09-30-2015, 03:09 PM
There probably aren't enough flags being thrown.

Players should be forced to play without breaking the rules. They shouldn't be allowed to break the rules because the league is worried about watchability.

Are you being serious ? You want more flags ?

The rules need to be applied using common sense, and they are not. There are so many rules in this sport that it is becoming very difficult for defenders to play without getting flagged.... sometimes if they brush a player they get flagged. There's too many and it hurts the game imo.

Maybe its a culture thing. Over here fans hate breaks in play and we like to watch a game flow whether its football, cricket, rugby, etc........ I know in the NFL stoppages are inevitable, but when you get a referee crew that throws a flag every other play it becomes unwatchable.

As Gruden say's - 'Sometimes you just have to let them play'

broncoslover115
09-30-2015, 04:03 PM
I want defenses to be able to play. The NFL has basically legislated the defense out of the game to generate more offense and to satisfy fantasy football stats. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Rastic
09-30-2015, 05:02 PM
I want defenses to be able to play. The NFL has basically legislated the defense out of the game to generate more offense and to satisfy fantasy football stats. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

^^^^ This, this, this

broncoslover115
10-01-2015, 02:00 PM
^^^^ This, this, this

Can you imagine Steve Atwater playing in the NFL these days? He would have to tell his accountant to set up a weekly automatic deduction for penalty fines. ;)

Garfield
10-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Can you imagine Steve Atwater playing in the NFL these days? He would have to tell his accountant to set up a weekly automatic deduction for penalty fines. ;)

he would learn to tackle correctly. which might get him cut.

bronx_2003
10-01-2015, 05:11 PM
he would learn to tackle correctly. which might get him cut.

Footballs not all about being 100% technically correct. Its about violence, aggression and big plays. Thats what has made the game so popular.

People love the point scoring of today's game, but also hate the restrictions on D and numerous penalties.... so the league has to find a balance

VADER72
10-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Steve and Dennis played the game right, their role was to destroy offensive player and they did the job. Enough of the flag football garbage, these guys get paid a ton and know the risks and that's why they get paid a ton. It's no different than someone working a normal corp job and get paid a good salary and has a heart attack. Yes it's lousy and sad and wish anyone the best health, but you know the health risks going in.