PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins Fire Head Coachn Philbin

broncoslover115
10-05-2015, 09:05 AM
About time. Philbin has been horrible. I've always wondered how he survived the Richie Incognito bullying scandal. He should have been let go back then. Glad they finally came to their senses.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000550401/article/miami-dolphins-are-firing-joe-philbin

For the second straight season, an NFL coach has been fired after losing in London in Week 4.

The Dolphins are firing head coach Joe Philbin, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, according to a team source. The Philbin era is over after 24 wins, 28 losses, no playoff appearances, and one improbable contract extension at the end of last season.

Tight ends coach Dan Campbell is the presumptive favorite to become the Dolphins' interim head coach, NFL Media's Rand Getlin reported, per a source. Getlin added that Dolphins players have a strong affinity for Campbell and that they would welcome the change.

The team's record this season was poor, considering Miami's high expectations, but it was the way that the Dolphins lost that likely cost Philbin his job. Miami had the worst home opener in franchise history against Rex Ryan's Bills last week and the Dolphins were just as overmatched Sunday against the Jets in London. The 27-14 final score to former Dolphins assistant Todd Bowles was misleading. Miami could not move the ball all day except by penalty, and the defensive line had its fourth straight no show game.

The Dolphins are in the basement of the AFC East and they have little direction on offense or defense. Even the Dolphins' only win of the season in Week 1 came on a day where the offense couldn't move the ball and they were out-gained by Washington.

"We've been going out there, and practicing our (tails) off every day, but as players, we're tired of being embarrassed," one member of the Dolphins told NFL Network's Rand Getlin last week. "If we get beat in Europe, (players) are going to throw in the towel. It isn't the players. We have all the talent in the world."

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross sent a message Monday that he doesn't think it's all about the players too.

Rastic
10-05-2015, 09:23 AM
About time. Philbin has been horrible. I've always wondered how he survived the Richie Incognito bullying scandal. He should have been let go back then. Glad they finally came to their senses.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000550401/article/miami-dolphins-are-firing-joe-philbin

For the second straight season, an NFL coach has been fired after losing in London in Week 4.

The Dolphins are firing head coach Joe Philbin, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, according to a team source. The Philbin era is over after 24 wins, 28 losses, no playoff appearances, and one improbable contract extension at the end of last season.

Tight ends coach Dan Campbell is the presumptive favorite to become the Dolphins' interim head coach, NFL Media's Rand Getlin reported, per a source. Getlin added that Dolphins players have a strong affinity for Campbell and that they would welcome the change.

The team's record this season was poor, considering Miami's high expectations, but it was the way that the Dolphins lost that likely cost Philbin his job. Miami had the worst home opener in franchise history against Rex Ryan's Bills last week and the Dolphins were just as overmatched Sunday against the Jets in London. The 27-14 final score to former Dolphins assistant Todd Bowles was misleading. Miami could not move the ball all day except by penalty, and the defensive line had its fourth straight no show game.

The Dolphins are in the basement of the AFC East and they have little direction on offense or defense. Even the Dolphins' only win of the season in Week 1 came on a day where the offense couldn't move the ball and they were out-gained by Washington.

"We've been going out there, and practicing our (tails) off every day, but as players, we're tired of being embarrassed," one member of the Dolphins told NFL Network's Rand Getlin last week. "If we get beat in Europe, (players) are going to throw in the towel. It isn't the players. We have all the talent in the world."

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross sent a message Monday that he doesn't think it's all about the players too.

If he wasn't worried yesterday he is now... :coffee:

Chillez
10-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Dolphins should of fired him long time ago I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did.

JakeNbake
10-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Why have a coach go through the draft, training camp and then just allow them 4 games, if they were going to get rid of them they should have done it a long time ago, doing so now just seems even more destructive.

brianmcfarlane
10-05-2015, 10:06 AM
I thought the Dolphins had a pretty good team this year but they have been mostly horrible considering their talent. Philbin seemed to have them playing well late last season and I think that probably earned him a stay for this season, it kind of looked like the Dolphins were getting over the hump and could even reasonably challenge the Patriots this season. That is unfortunate that they won't likely challenge the Patriots unless the new coach can turn them around ... doubtful. :sad:

Remedy
10-05-2015, 10:55 AM
He should have been gone last year. I swear some of these teams are professional hot mess'

how these owners succeed in other world business' is beyond me.

Bronco51
10-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Yeah, after watching them on Hard Knocks I thought he must be one heck of an x's and o's guy because his personality was lacking to say the least.

Rancid
10-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Interim Coach is the <drumroll> Tight Ends Coach!

I wonder which dumpster fire will burn brightest; Chicago or Miami?

VADER72
10-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Why have a coach go through the draft, training camp and then just allow them 4 games, if they were going to get rid of them they should have done it a long time ago, doing so now just seems even more destructive.

I agree, their season is cashed in 4 weeks in. No wonder they suck.

CoryWinget81
10-05-2015, 07:07 PM
On Saturday during practice, Tannehill, after a couple of practice squad players forced turnovers, Tannehill made negative comments toward them, including saying: “Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy.”
Sources say this has been going on for the past few weeks as the practice squad players have been intercepting Tannehill and frustrating the former Texas A&M wide receiver turned quarterback. ...
Philbin told the practice squad players to take it easy on Tannehill to not affect the young quarterback’s confidence.

I love watching a good drain swirl...

Denver Mike
10-06-2015, 08:03 AM
On Saturday during practice, Tannehill, after a couple of practice squad players forced turnovers, Tannehill made negative comments toward them, including saying: “Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy.”
Sources say this has been going on for the past few weeks as the practice squad players have been intercepting Tannehill and frustrating the former Texas A&M wide receiver turned quarterback. ...
Philbin told the practice squad players to take it easy on Tannehill to not affect the young quarterback’s confidence.

With a wife like that you never have to say a negative thing in life again... She's her own "to heck with you" statement. Speaks for herself.

Rastic
10-06-2015, 08:54 AM

LOL, are they swirling clockwise our counterclockwise?

https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mah8ojUlje1r026kqo1_400.gif

The Experience
10-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Philbin should have been gone after the Incognito Martin situation. He is not head coach material period.

His in game decisions are also pretty dumb. He has a very good running back in Lamar Miller and week after week refuses to give him the ball.

Plus he has been babying Tannehill, what a mess.

Rastic
10-08-2015, 04:41 PM
And new their DC, Kevin Coyle, had been sacked (get it? :laugh:)

The new coach is cleaning house.

broncoslover115
10-08-2015, 05:07 PM
And new their DC, Kevin Coyle, had been sacked (get it? :laugh:)

The new coach is cleaning house.

Uh, no I don't get it. Can you please explain. Just razzin ya. What a mess of an organization they are right now.

BTW, love your signature image. Awesome.

FL BRONCO
10-09-2015, 03:43 PM

I personally think both the HC and DC getting fired were great moves for the Dolphins at this point. Both have looked very inept imo and looked to me like their players werent playing for them either. With that DL they have no sacks and horrible vs the run. I don't think the players were being used correctly to allow them to make the most of their talents and I don't think they were playing their best ball for him. This shake up will allow the team to have a new start and hopefully a new attitude and during the by week allows them to make some changes to their systems too. It is obviously not an ideal situation to change any coach 4 weeks in and probably should've been done last year. But compared to keeping the two coaches who werent working out with a team going down hill early in the season, I think it was 100% a good move. It will be interesting to see how Miami plays the rest of the way. Good luck Dolphins

samparnell
10-10-2015, 10:40 AM
He should have been gone last year. I swear some of these teams are professional hot mess'

how these owners succeed in other world business' is beyond me.

Right. Some NFL teams have dumb owners. Poor Miami.

FL BRONCO
10-11-2015, 09:38 AM
It feels kinda McDanielsesque :DHows my english Sam:D