PDA

View Full Version : The 2015 Major League Baseball Playoffs

CanDB
10-06-2015, 07:49 PM
It's that time again! As a loyal canuck, The Blue Jays are the team to follow this season, having one of their finest finishes since the glory days (of back to back World Series wins). Hard to believe a team could turn it around so fast, but thanks to the GM, some really great acquisitions were made - Price, Tulo, Revere, Hawkins, Low.....with the trade deadline in sight. Not to mention, acquiring the "shoe in" AL MVP - Josh Donaldson, and canuck Russell Martin prior to the new season.

I sure hope they go deep......they have enough talent to do so. First it's Texas, starting Thursday in TO.

In the AL, besides TO, KC looks to be very tough again. They have a solid team.

As for The NL, St. Lou looks like a serious contender, once again. They are seemingly always in the mix at the end of each year. Pittsburgh and Chicago look interesting as well, and it's cool to see The Mets in the race.

Should be fun!

HUMCALC
10-06-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm pulling for a CHI/TOR WS. Those were my two teams growing up

CanDB
10-06-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm pulling for a CHI/TOR WS. Those were my two teams growing up

I'm down for that! I saw Chicago play San Fran, in San Fran near the end of August. They won easily that night. I did not realize at the time how good their starter - Arrieta was. Nice team!

CanDB
10-06-2015, 08:18 PM
So long Yankees. Wow, Houston takes it 3-0, and gives up a measly 3 singles.

The Wild Card format is not for the weak of heart. I am not keen on a one game showdown normally. Sure, I was pulling for Houston tonight, but to play 162 games and have to settle it with one game never made sense to me. Best of 3 at least!

HUMCALC
10-06-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm down for that! I saw Chicago play San Fran, in San Fran near the end of August. They won easily that night. I did not realize at the time how good their starter - Arrieta was. Nice team!

Yeah, I was a TOR fan as a kid & a Cub fan from 1999 on

DevilSpawn
10-06-2015, 10:08 PM
I didn't think the Yanks would win this matchup. Felt strange seeing a playoff game without Mariano, Jeter and Posada, which hasn't happened in 20 years. Pettitte too. I've been spoiled.

On to next year! Hope the Mets take it.

CanDB
10-07-2015, 09:37 AM
I didn't think the Yanks would win this matchup. Felt strange seeing a playoff game without Mariano, Jeter and Posada, which hasn't happened in 20 years. Pettitte too. I've been spoiled.

On to next year! Hope the Mets take it.

Geez DS, I can never seem to peg you......Spain/NY, and yet a Raiders fan. Must be a long story behind this.

Remedy
10-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Obligatory Canadian Go Jays comment.

CanDB
10-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Obligatory Canadian Go Jays comment.

I know, due to my allegiance to this nation, I was forced to side with The Jays. I am brain washed, and without intellect. I just go with the patriotic flow. (On another note, Fed election on the 19th. I am voting for Alex Anthopoulis!)

canadiansbronco
10-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Obligatory Canadian jumping on the Jays bandwagon!

DevilSpawn
10-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Geez DS, I can never seem to peg you......Spain/NY, and yet a Raiders fan. Must be a long story behind this.

Nope, very short story.

Born in Spain, lived there until I was 2. Moved to NY and lived there ever since. Father's influence and an exciting game made me a Raiders fan on Dec 21, 1974.

HurricaneDovs
10-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Go Cubs GO!!

Arrieta is a monster. Now if Lester can show his postseason self and we get some good starts here and there by our other guys, our rotation should be fine.

Game doesn't look too big for our rookies right now either. Man, I hope this is our year.

HUMCALC
10-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Maddon left him in too long

Joshua2585
10-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Daaaaaaaah Cubs are going to win the World Series! Back to the Future predicted it!

CanDB
10-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Nope, very short story.

Born in Spain, lived there until I was 2. Moved to NY and lived there ever since. Father's influence and an exciting game made me a Raiders fan on Dec 21, 1974.

Short and sweet! Thx bud! Hey, I used to be a Raiders fan way back in the days of Stabler and company. (Keep that beween us;))

Don't forget our little wager for this weekend.:thumb:

CanDB
10-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Tough game for The Jays. Didn't know Price is 0 and 6 in the playoffs!!:eek: Then Donaldson goes down, and the tightly wound Bautista leaves as well. I hear Josh does not have a concussion and Jose just had cramps. I hope they both play tomorrow! Texas is good.

CanDB
10-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Go Cubs GO!!

Arrieta is a monster. Now if Lester can show his postseason self and we get some good starts here and there by our other guys, our rotation should be fine.

Game doesn't look too big for our rookies right now either. Man, I hope this is our year.

Daaaaaaaah Cubs are going to win the World Series! Back to the Future predicted it!

The Cubs have a legit shot. Yes, Arrieta is a monster. He sure looked good the night I saw him in SF.

DevilSpawn
10-08-2015, 04:41 PM
I would like to see the Cubs win. Would be a great story after a century of misery. This is why I wasn't mad at the Red Sox winning, although it was getting ridiculous after the second and third trophy lol.

HUMCALC
10-08-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm actually afraid of what'll happen the next time the Cubs win the WS. The rioting will be out of this world

CanDB
10-09-2015, 04:53 AM
I'm actually afraid of what'll happen the next time the Cubs win the WS. The rioting will be out of this world

Yes and maybe they will open up their hearts to a poor guy who accidentally tried to catch a foul ball.....that part is sad to this very day. If you watch the film, ironically at least one other person almost caught the ball, but missed. Not to mention, The Cubs sucked the rest of the game....but who's counting??

It's a cruel world.

Same with Billy Buckner.....a player yes, and on a different team. He plays with a bad injury and has done everything, and gets blamed for the loss as like a terrible monster, whereas the lousy pitching staff that gave up the key hits get a major break from the anger thrust on him.

Cruel stuff.

CanDB
10-10-2015, 10:25 AM
I am going to vent about refs, and it's something I do not advise folks do, too often. But our Jays got trumped by a terrible case of umpiring, and a botched call that was not overturned that was clearly wrong, and ended up to be the winning run in an otherwise great game! We like to joke that there's a Canadian conspiracy going on. For one thing, given The Jays are home run monsters and they hit more when the dome is open, does anyone know why the dome was closed on two decent weather days. That was the league's decision. Isn't baseball supposed to be played outside??

Sad that the big leagues mess up a fundamental thing.....balls and strikes, and a very obvious case of sticking by their umps even when technology shows that the guy's foot was off the bag when tagged.

Cmon Jays.....time for a 3 game winning streak!!!

HurricaneDovs
10-10-2015, 08:25 PM
That's more like it! Little bit of offense goes a long way.

Now 2 at home, one with Jake on the mound.

Go Cubs!!

HUMCALC
10-10-2015, 08:27 PM
That's more like it! Little bit of offense goes a long way.

Now 2 at home, one with Jake on the mound.

Go Cubs!!

Hear, hear :D

CanDB
10-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Someone tell Harold Reynolds that Canadians do play baseball, and can in fact catch foul balls.

Is he for real?????

Maybe he's heard of Russ Martin, Joey Votto, Justin Morneau, Larry Walker, to name a few......

HUMCALC
10-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Cubs WIN! Cubs WIN!

HurricaneDovs
10-12-2015, 11:04 PM
One more game! C'mon Cubbies! Just one more and we knock out our biggest rival!

GO CUBS GO!!!

HurricaneDovs
10-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Lackey vs Hammel tomorrow

Hopefully since he's going on short rest and we've seen him one, we'll be able to hit Lackey this time and really hope we chase him early. Get the crowd going soon.

Freyaka
10-13-2015, 07:31 AM
LOL @ the Texas Governor prematurely congratulating the Astros...#GoRoyals!

DenverBlood
10-13-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm rooting for the Mets, Cubs, Blue Jays and Royals. Get some fresh new blood in there. I'm ok if Houston ends up beating K.C. but I prefer the Royals.

Also hoping every series goes 5 games. Although that would make it less likely for me to get some of those teams in there.

HUMCALC
10-13-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm rooting for the Mets, Cubs, Blue Jays and Royals. Get some fresh new blood in there. I'm ok if Houston ends up beating K.C. but I prefer the Royals.

Also hoping every series goes 5 games. Although that would make it less likely for me to get some of those teams in there.

I'm rooting for LA because I had a cousin who pitched for them, and NY was in the WS in 2000

DenverBlood
10-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Wait did the Cubbies really send Jason Hammel to the mound against Lackey to try to close out the series?

Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ok I'm over it

Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

HUMCALC
10-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Wait did the Cubbies really send Jason Hammel to the mound against Lackey to try to close out the series?

Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ok I'm over it

Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Not looking so bad now, does it?

DenverBlood
10-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Not looking so bad now, does it?

Lolololol. Nope. But I wasn't judging Jason Hammel the hitter. Forgot how well he hits for a pitcher.

HUMCALC
10-13-2015, 07:20 PM
And the Cubs are the 1st team to advance to the next round :)

canadiansbronco
10-14-2015, 02:55 PM
glad i am only a bandwagin jays fan or i would be really mad right now, boy do they suck at producing runs...

Where is that vaunted O ?

DenverBlood
10-14-2015, 06:02 PM
glad i am only a bandwagin jays fan or i would be really mad right now, boy do they suck at producing runs...

Where is that vaunted O ?

I think Bautista answered you.

So happy for Tulo right now.

But the funny thing is the two guys who were brought in and sparked life in his team have pretty much been garbage for them. It's the team that was already in place that has done all the heroics.

Price 0-6 in his last 6 and got shelled in 3 innings of relief in game 4

Tulo hit about .200 in Toronto and even worse in the first round

CanDB
10-14-2015, 07:21 PM
I think Bautista answered you.

So happy for Tulo right now.

But the funny thing is the two guys who were brought in and sparked life in his team have pretty much been garbage for them. It's the team that was already in place that has done all the heroics.

Price 0-6 in his last 6 and got shelled in 3 innings of relief in game 4

Tulo hit about .200 in Toronto and even worse in the first round

Lets just say they contributed to the turnaround.

That was an amazing game, if you like The Jays! Never seen one like it, including the most bizarre (7th) inning in my history of watching baseball!!

My oldest was at the game, and based on our post game talk, no one there has a voice left!!

DenverBlood
10-15-2015, 05:34 AM
Three of the four teams I wanted to advance have clinched.

Now if the Mets could just find a way tonight then I can start focusing on a Cubs and Blue Jays World Series.

CanDB
10-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Three of the four teams I wanted to advance have clinched.

Now if the Mets could just find a way tonight then I can start focusing on a Cubs and Blue Jays World Series.

I would like that!!!!

:thumb:

Bronco51
10-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Happy for Tulo, Bautista was bushleague IMHO.

DenverBlood
10-15-2015, 12:55 PM

You hit the game winning HR in a brutally intense series that is the first playoff series you have ever been too in your life and see how you react.

I loved Greenbergs question this morning. Pitchers always do hulk impersonations and scream loud when they get a huge strikeout in a big game. No one ever questions them. Why should we question Bautista for arguably the biggest hit of his entire life? Let the man celebrate.

It's a double standard.

Also heard a caller on Mad Dog radio essentially say the same thing and say Dyson maybe should try not throwing a beach ball over the plate and man up about his mistake and not be so sensitive about it.

CanDB
10-15-2015, 01:00 PM
You hit the game winning HR in a brutally intense series that is the first playoff series you have ever been too in your life and see how you react.

I loved Greenbergs question this morning. Pitchers always do hulk impersonations and scream loud when they get a huge strikeout in a big game. No one ever questions them. Why should we question Bautista for arguably the biggest hit of his entire life? Let the man celebrate.

It's a double standard.

Also heard a caller on Mad Dog radio essentially say the same thing and say Dyson maybe should try not throwing a beach ball over the plate and man up about his mistake and not be so sensitive about it.

No doubt Jose is an animated and emotional player. But I agree with you. Huge moment. Tons on the line. A feeling like you have been shafted a bit by umpiring (more so in last Friday's game). A crazy run in the top of the inning that may turn out to be the winner.

Dyson was more of a jerk than anyone. What's he doing talking to Edwin, when he was simply trying to tell the crowd to be keep it down. (Ha ha, I even texted my daughter, who was at the game, and told her to tell those around her to be cool!!) And then what's Dyson doing, walking up to Tulo and tapping him on the butt?? That was weird!!

I do not like hot-dogging, and yes, I am biased on this one, but Dyson was more at fault than anyone.

DenverBlood
10-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Most people I've heard on the radio who have given it a day to let cooler heads prevail have said Bautista is a complete class act. And I've heard this before many times prior to yesterday.

I'm not going to fault a guy because he celebrates the biggest moment of his life in maybe the not most ideal fashion. It certainly wasn't the worst we have ever seen.

canadiansbronco
10-15-2015, 02:11 PM

get out of here lol...He hit the go ahead homer in the bigest game of his life, in a series where the bench cleared and both team taunted each other, he has the right react how he wants. It's not like he ran to dyson pointing and laughing.

Like others said pitcher get to scream and gesticulate like crazy after a big out, but Bautista cant ?

It's the playoffs for crying out loud, hockey player, football player, tenis players every major sports athlete that makes a play that big in a game that big can react how they want...

Dyson sounded like a cry baby in his pressers, and he has not right to talk after the crap he pulled on tulo and Edwin who was trying to CALM the crowd

canadiansbronco
10-15-2015, 02:13 PM
this is sports people, at highest level all he did was react emotionally...

Bronco51
10-15-2015, 02:27 PM
He hit 40 home runs this year. He's hit plenty more in is career. I am from the old school I guess and won't be one bit surprised when he gets drilled in the ear this spring.

HurricaneDovs
10-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Sorry this is late but GOOOOOO CUBS GOOOOO!!!!!!

Feels get to get one over your biggest rival.

I wonder who is a better match-up for the Cubs. Dodgers have Kershaw and Greinke, but are they that deep after that?

HUMCALC
10-15-2015, 05:39 PM
Sorry this is late but GOOOOOO CUBS GOOOOO!!!!!!

Feels get to get one over your biggest rival.

I wonder who is a better match-up for the Cubs. Dodgers have Kershaw and Greinke, but are they that deep after that?

I'm wondering the same thing

DenverBlood
10-15-2015, 05:53 PM
He hit 40 home runs this year. He's hit plenty more in is career. I am from the old school I guess and won't be one bit surprised when he gets drilled in the ear this spring.

Not a single hr in his life was bigger than that one.

Stop being almighty man.

Bronco51
10-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Not a single hr in his life was bigger than that one.

Stop being almighty man.

What, everyone has to think as you do? Sorry bro, real world don't work like that.

DenverBlood
10-15-2015, 06:10 PM
What, everyone has to think as you do? Sorry bro, real world don't work like that.

No bro. Never once said that. Don't be so sensitive.

SecondsAway131
10-15-2015, 09:47 PM
I don't get why baseball seems to be the only sport where grown men have to whine about the other team celebrating success. And then hitting players in retaliation? It's so childish. Almost as childish as 40+ guys running onto the field just to stand around and yell at each other.

I love baseball, but those aspects of the sport are something I'll never understand.

canadiansbronco
10-16-2015, 10:38 AM
http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/blue-jays-rangers-seventh-inning-jose-bautista-bat-flip-russell-martin-throw/

This is an amazing article and i think it will help you understand what we mean...

But really a great read even if you dont agree

This one is good to

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/10/15/jose-bautista-does-not-need-to-calm-that-down-and-respect-the-game/

broncoslover115
10-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Lets go Mets!!!

HurricaneDovs
10-17-2015, 08:33 PM
*sigh*

Bryant and Rizzo need to wake up. And Lester needs to earn his dang money. No run support, but leaving pitches hanging and he seemed like he was behind in the count all day.

Hopefully Jake can shut em down tomorrow and we get to Syndergaard.

CanDB
10-18-2015, 09:06 AM
I think it's time for another Blue Jays winning streak. Too bad, Price was sailing along and then our good D made a crucial error, when Goins and Bautista let the ball drop. Such a fluke. That's baseball.

DevilSpawn
10-18-2015, 09:58 AM
I don't get why baseball seems to be the only sport where grown men have to whine about the other team celebrating success. And then hitting players in retaliation? It's so childish. Almost as childish as 40+ guys running onto the field just to stand around and yell at each other.

I love baseball, but those aspects of the sport are something I'll never understand.
It's probably a passed down unwritten rule about respecting the game, a rule that goes back to it's roots.

As a Yankees fan I'm sad to say that I am rooting HARD for the Mets. I can deal with their taunting if it comes to it. :) The Cubs winning would be cool, too.

DenverBlood
10-21-2015, 06:54 PM
So much for the back to the future prediction.

Atwnbroncfan
10-21-2015, 07:54 PM
These are the cubs we know and love.

CanDB
10-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Glad The Jays sent it back to KC. Estrada was amazing today! He's been a quiet stud for this team all season. And Tulo's really getting some big RBIs!! If Price can get back to the Price we know, and find a way to get it done on Friday, the pressure will be on KC. Two very good teams!!

Broncoholic JS
10-21-2015, 08:40 PM
That was not a strike...smh

Broncoholic JS
10-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Congrats Cubs, you will win the big one soon. Too young and talented to not win.

DevilSpawn
10-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Congrats to the Mets. I really hope they win it all.

HurricaneDovs
10-21-2015, 11:35 PM
Great year Cubbies!

We just ran into a buzzsaw. The future is definitely looking up and we will be back here, and hopefully much further very soon.

Go Cubs Go!!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/22/33282399_4285868130.jpg

broncoslover115
10-22-2015, 05:49 AM
Let's Go Mets!!! So excited! Two of my favorite memories growing up was when I was 7 years old and The Mets had Flag and Banner Day. Kids were allowed to take our banners and walk around Shea Stadium's infield in a parade. It was so awesome.

My mother and I had a rocky relationship and we had very serious issues that caused me to leave my family for 15 years. However, we were able to reconcile before she died.

She was a diehard Mets fan and a great memory was during the 1969 WORLD SERIES, our TV wasn't working, so we went to a storefront and watched the deciding game through the store window. It was pretty awesome. They were labeled THE AMAZING METS!

Having the Mets be where they are today is certainly bringing up memories of her and I hope they can win the WORLD SERIES as she watches her favorite team from heaven.

Send down the juju Ma! Let's go Mets!

CanDB
10-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Who's this Murphy guy???!!!!

DenverBlood
10-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Who's this Murphy guy???!!!!

Sent back from the past to stop the back to the future prediction. If that makes sense.

No seriously though Ryan Spilborghs tweeted that the name of the Billy Goat for the Cubs curse was Murphy. I think that part he was being sarcastic about.

But then he noted
1908: Cubs owner Charles Murphey
1969 Mets GM: John Murphy
1969 Mets announcer: Bob Murphy
1984 NLCS site: Jack Murphy stadium (Cubs blew a 2-0 series lead to San Diego)
2015 Mets NLDS Hero: Daniel Murphy

All that juju and it's no wonder back to the future was wrong.

DenverBlood
10-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Price just can't get it done when it matters most.

I wonder if he will still be a Blue Jay next year.

CanDB
10-23-2015, 07:00 PM

They have to sign him first, as he is a FA once the season ends. I hope he finishes well tonight. I heard someone today saying that a poor outcome will cost him big in FA, given he has not done well in postseason, once again. But a decent showing, and perhaps more quality starts in the WS (just hoping!!), would assure huge salary opportunity, and very much the unlikelihood that The Jays can sign him.

canadiansbronco
10-23-2015, 10:22 PM

That really wasnt on him....first there was a horrible call on that "homerun" but a after that he shut them down

Blame TO being 0-12 with runners in positions...that is just pathetic, `especially having one 3rd ans 2nd with no outs....inexcusable even if they got hosed by the ref

CanDB
10-24-2015, 10:01 AM
That really wasnt on him....first there was a horrible call on that "homerun" but a after that he shut them down

Blame TO being 0-12 with runners in positions...that is just pathetic, `especially having one 3rd ans 2nd with no outs....inexcusable even if they got hosed by the ref

True......

and GO METS!!!!

KC has been in all type of altercations this year. They have some cocky young pitchers who are a joke. Ventura stared down Tulo after striking him out, and Tulo had his back to him. Then the ump basically told Ventura to stop it. Later he's yacking at our 1st base coach who basically told Ventura to zip it.

They have some good people on the team, but I hope they lose because of that cocky style, and one that shows no respect for good players like Tulo.

broncoslover115
10-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Let's Go Mets!!!

broncolee
10-28-2015, 02:38 AM
Yeah Royals!!!