PDA

View Full Version : AFC South!!!!

CanDB
11-20-2015, 01:26 PM
It's early but the AFC South is bringing back thoughts about the legitimacy of winning a bad division and getting home field in the playoffs.

I hope one of them ends up at least 500. But if not, it may be time to revisit the playoff format.

Freyaka
11-20-2015, 02:11 PM
IMO the division winner should always get a playoff birth...Doesn't matter how stinky they are. This year I'm really pulling for the Shaguars to pull it off (Ya BABY!)

Look at Seattle several years back, people were calling them the worst team to make the playoffs, they very nearly went all the way. Obviously it sucks for the teams with better records that can't get a wildcard, but wildcards aren't guaranteed. You fight to earn your division, if not you put yourself in a position to make it in as a wildcard.

CanDB
11-20-2015, 02:36 PM
IMO the division winner should always get a playoff birth...Doesn't matter how stinky they are. This year I'm really pulling for the Shaguars to pull it off (Ya BABY!)

Look at Seattle several years back, people were calling them the worst team to make the playoffs, they very nearly went all the way. Obviously it sucks for the teams with better records that can't get a wildcard, but wildcards aren't guaranteed. You fight to earn your division, if not you put yourself in a position to make it in as a wildcard.

I am cool with rewarding division winners. That's the first goal each year. Win the division, and then see where it ends. My sensitivity is towards home field advantage, especially if a team goes under 500 during the regular season. Perhaps, and this still needs further review, the home field advantage should be awarded to a wild card team that has had a much better season, based on valid comparison data.

Truth is, I do not expect any changes, but it does bother me a bit, given how weak some divisions are.

canadiansbronco
11-20-2015, 10:37 PM
i agree the division winner should alway get a playoff birth, it's the reason winning the div is the goal of the teams. However i think a team that finishes 10-6 should get a home game vs a team that wins its division at 6-10 or 7-9....

I think they should look at having it more nhl style where the top 8 teams get in and the 2 best division winners get homefield...or something like that not 100% sure of the logistics

broncolee
11-21-2015, 04:25 AM
I have no problem with the division winner getting home field advantage, no matter what the record.

canadiansbronco
11-21-2015, 10:25 AM
I have no problem with the division winner getting home field advantage, no matter what the record.

i dont know man when a 7-9 teams gets it over a 10-6 or even 11-5 its pretty sad....

Heck the afc south will probably get won at like 6-10 this year

CanDB
11-21-2015, 12:01 PM
There are certainly two sides to this one, and I can see merits in both. I think we all have our preferences, and in the end, it is highly doubtful the league would change it anyway. But yah, if a winner finishes around 6 and 10 and gets home field........grrrrrrrrrrrrr!;)

CanDB
11-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Ha ha......Indy and Houston both win. I must have motivated them!!!;)

fallforward3y+
11-25-2015, 02:18 PM

Ummmm...no they didn't. They won one playoff game, and were beaten pretty soundly the next week if I remember correctly in Chicago. In my view, the reality of the caliber of the their team caught up to them.

Essentially, winning one playoff game to me isn't the sign of legitimacy some make it out to be. The playoffs count for more, but it doesn't mean the 'any given Sunday' type of rules don't apply. That year, we saw the 5-11 Browns beat the 14-2 Patriots, a non playoff caliber team getting one win against a playoff caliber team happens multiple times a year usually. Pulling one upset I think could very likely be done by a non playoff caliber team, even in the playoffs, especially at home.

It seems to be a pattern, these division winners that don't have top 6 records win their first playoff game. Perhaps it's HFA, they feel life for still being alive, whereas the wildcard team feels drained for being in an unfavorable position, perhaps feeling it is too much of an uphill climb.

They win their first game at home...but then next week, they go on the road. They travel to face a team that got a first round bye, usually getting soundly beaten. Reality catches up with them that they aren't a playoff caliber team that will likely make a run, upsets like that don't usually happen 2 weeks in a row. What better way to show that than going on the road against a team with a much better record.

Some teams like the 9-7 Giants make a run, but they were a playoff caliber team, that is different.

Playoff win or not, the 7-9 Seahawks were not a playoff caliber team imo.

fallforward3y+
11-25-2015, 02:22 PM
i dont know man when a 7-9 teams gets it over a 10-6 or even 11-5 its pretty sad....

Heck the afc south will probably get won at like 6-10 this year

I like the idea of having the 4 division winners get in, but ordering the seeds by record. Keeps the significance of divisions, but makes it more fair.

It seems some people think even this system doesn't keep significance of divisions, but I don't know why. You still are given a spot for winning your division, just not a home game.

More so, I just wish people wouldn't use the ridiculous rebuttal that it's fair as long as every team is told how the format is, or that the division winners deserve it so long as they are told that. It's still uneven chances, regardless.