PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: San Diego Chargers to fire Mike McCoy after Sunday's game

baphamet
01-02-2016, 12:15 AM
http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/1/1/10700230/report-san-diego-chargers-to-fire-mike-mccoy-after-sundays-game

Alex Marvez from FOX Sports seems convinced that Mike McCoy will be coaching his final game for the San Diego Chargers on Sunday, when the team travels to Denver to take on the Broncos.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Yw_Z586b--/o3ydqfaxpd83cf0ip3hx.jpg

broncoslover115
01-02-2016, 09:17 AM
How do you feel about that Baph?

brianmcfarlane
01-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Between the Weddle "divorce", 8 roster moves this week, multiple injuries, draft position, team moving and now a report that McCoy is on his way out - probably was already this case -; no room for playing to win tomorrow. This just keeps looking better for the Broncos. :salute:

:goz:

broncoslover115
01-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Between the Weddle "divorce", 8 roster moves this week, multiple injuries, draft position, team moving and now a report that McCoy is on his way out - probably was already this case -; no room for playing to win tomorrow. This just keeps looking better for the Broncos. :salute:

:goz:

Yeah, if we lose tomorrow,,,I don't even want to think about that. We're not losing. Cover Gates and Keenan Allen and I think that's about it really.

brianmcfarlane
01-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Yeah, if we lose tomorrow,,,I don't even want to think about that. We're not losing. Cover Gates and Keenan Allen and I think that's about it really.

Yes, cover Gates is probably the most important key, Allen has been on IR for half the season now. Injuries have killed the Chargers, reason that McCoy should get another year there but that's not reality in the NFL. I doubt the Chargers will find a coach that will have any more success than McCoy.

johntbronco
01-02-2016, 10:25 AM
This news is no suprise.

I wouldn't pin all of SD's woes on McCoy. But, they gotta blame the mess on somebody.

-Rod-
01-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Kelly already out. McCoy, Pettine, Pagano and Coughlin likely out. These teams will have to get creative because I don't see a great list of potential head coaches out there. At least no one's coming to take our coordinators away this time. Dennison is a very low-profile OC and Wade Phillips has already accepted he's a lousy head coach.

Houshmazode
01-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Kelly already out. McCoy, Pettine, Pagano and Coughlin likely out. These teams will have to get creative because I don't see a great list of potential head coaches out there. At least no one's coming to take our coordinators away this time. Dennison is a very low-profile OC and Wade Phillips has already accepted he's a lousy head coach.
Will Wade come back, though? his contract is only for this year.

FL BRONCO
01-02-2016, 12:39 PM

That may be cause our DC for next year will be coming from Cinci.

broncolee
01-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Well, in the 2011 season finale, the Chargers played to win and got Norv Turner one more season, and gave the division to the Broncos by doing so.

Don't expect this to be a lay down job by the Chargers.

samparnell
01-02-2016, 01:47 PM

Keenan Allen is on IR.

-Rod-
01-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Maybe it would be best for the Broncos to just keep Wade around. Vance Joseph is a young coach on the rise, and if he does a good job with our talented defense he might soon become a head coach like Dennis Allen. Wade has settled down as a DC in the NFL, so we can have some continuity with him.

FL BRONCO
01-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Well it looks like the Chargers are trying to keep up with the Browns with the HC carousel, maybe they can just switch HC's with each other and save alot of time and headaches

broncoslover115
01-02-2016, 02:59 PM

Why in the world would we want to let Wade go? Makes no sense whatsoever. I'd be really upset if they did that? Really upset. I think the players would too. They love the guy.

Rastic
01-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Should we invite McCoy back? I don't know what to think of Dennison as the OC this year but I thought McCoy did a good job while he was here.

FL BRONCO
01-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Why in the world would we want to let Wade go? Makes no sense whatsoever. I'd be really upset if they did that? Really upset. I think the players would too. They love the guy.

Well we were after Vance before Wade and we even waited to see if Cinci would change their mind and let him go. We then hired Wade but only signed him to a 1 yr contract while Vance's contract runs out this year. I'm not saying we will, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if we did. It kinda looks to me like John may have arranged it that way for a reason. We shall see.

Garfield
01-02-2016, 04:36 PM

I'm hoping that John will give Wade a long term contract
Mbut unless they have most of those players back even Wade can't make a difference

I'm hoping that Wade know he does not off the HC mold and will become that DC that stays until the carry him out.

baphamet
01-02-2016, 11:41 PM
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/02/chargers-mike-mccoy-head-coach/

Chargers expected to retain Mike McCoy. Decision to be finalized Monday. Philip Rivers: "Mike's not the problem."

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3nW7ACmJKeiM6tiw/giphy.gif

baphamet
01-02-2016, 11:44 PM
How do you feel about that Baph?

well considering it looks like that report is false, i'm not very happy with it, not surprised though.

broncoslover115
01-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Well we were after Vance before Wade and we even waited to see if Cinci would change their mind and let him go. We then hired Wade but only signed him to a 1 yr contract while Vance's contract runs out this year. I'm not saying we will, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if we did. It kinda looks to me like John may have arranged it that way for a reason. We shall see.

I'm hoping that John will give Wade a long term contract
Mbut unless they have most of those players back even Wade can't make a difference

I'm hoping that Wade know he does not off the HC mold and will become that DC that stays until the carry him out.

Yes, I know we wanted Vance but after the incredible year Wade has given us, letting him go would be a travesty. Just heard on ESPN that our defense can make history today. We can finish #1 in total defense, and #1 in pass and rush defense. This hasn't happened since 1991. You do not let a coach go that has done what our defense has done.

Elway better come to his senses because I will be absolutely livid if he lets Wade go and I think the players will as well. They love the guy. They have been saying it all year. We have had almost the entire same personnel that JDR had and look what he has done. It's been amazing. Jeez, I'm getting myself worked up here.

Elway, you better not let Wade slip through your fingers. Sign the man. He is a God send.

baphamet
01-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Yes, I know we wanted Vance but after the incredible year Wade has given us, letting him go would be a travesty. Just heard on ESPN that our defense can make history today. We can finish #1 in total defense, and #1 in pass and rush defense. This hasn't happened since 1991. You do not let a coach go that has done what our defense has done.

Elway better come to his senses because I will be absolutely livid if he lets Wade go and I think the players will as well. They love the guy. They have been saying it all year. We have had almost the entire same personnel that JDR had and look what he has done. It's been amazing. Jeez, I'm getting myself worked up here.

Elway, you better not let Wade slip through your fingers. Sign the man. He is a God send.

loved wade when he was the charges DC, our defense has never been the same since. i doubt that guy gets yet another chance to be a HC unless a team is really desperate or stupid, he's the norv turner of defenses.

by all means, he can come back to the chargers if elway doesn't want him. :)

Rancid
01-03-2016, 09:52 AM
well considering it looks like that report is false, i'm not very happy with it, not surprised though.

I hope the report is false. McCoy is a good coach in my opinion. I have not seen anything from Ownership countering the claim.

San Diego has an image problem right now. Between their poor record, lack of playoff experience, the Weddle situation, and now this, their reputation is taking a big hit. I hope they can turn things around.

fightinglee
01-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Should we invite McCoy back? I don't know what to think of Dennison as the OC this year but I thought McCoy did a good job while he was here.

I would not invite McCoy back. I guess I feel like he was busy preparing for job interviews when he should have been preparing our team for Baltimore. McCoy was a good coordinator, no doubt, though. I think Kubiak and dennison will figure this thing out. We need an Oline for this offense to work. I don't think we need a new OC or a new offensive game plan. We do need some half way decent lineman though and for them to stay healthy.

FL BRONCO
01-03-2016, 10:39 AM

After the year he has had, I would think he would be back. But I do think Elway really wanted Vance. Also there is a history with Wade and history has shown that his best year is usually his first with a team. I'm sure many reasons including players excelling and then leaving for other teams, but none the less that is the history. I myself would like to see Wade back after what he has done this year.But Elway has built this defense since he came here and I will trust in John either way and be happy either way.

As for Mike McCoy, I didn't like him when he was here and I surely don't want him back. I think SD would be making the right move in replacing him, and I hope they don't. But I will be interested to see the other end of this, who will they be able to get to replace him especially with all that is going on in SD. They have taken a few hits to go along with what looks like an inevitable move. That would not be an ideal situation for any coach. But they do have Rivers which will certainly work in their favor. We shall see, should be interesting.

broncoslover115
01-03-2016, 11:12 AM
After the year he has had, I would think he would be back. But I do think Elway really wanted Vance. Also there is a history with Wade and history has shown that his best year is usually his first with a team. I'm sure many reasons including players excelling and then leaving for other teams, but none the less that is the history. I myself would like to see Wade back after what he has done this year.But Elway has built this defense since he came here and I will trust in John either way and be happy either way.

As for Mike McCoy, I didn't like him when he was here and I surely don't want him back. I think SD would be making the right move in replacing him, and I hope they don't. But I will be interested to see the other end of this, who will they be able to get to replace him especially with all that is going on in SD. They have taken a few hits to go along with what looks like an inevitable move. That would not be an ideal situation for any coach. But they do have Rivers which will certainly work in their favor. We shall see, should be interesting.

Sounds like McCoy will be back!

baphamet
01-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I hope the report is false. McCoy is a good coach in my opinion. I have not seen anything from Ownership countering the claim.

San Diego has an image problem right now. Between their poor record, lack of playoff experience, the Weddle situation, and now this, their reputation is taking a big hit. I hope they can turn things around.

he may be a good coach but not a head coach IMO

i'm not a fan, we were better off with norv to be honest. but yeah the chargers origination is in shambles right now, is there another franchise worse right now?

FL BRONCO
01-03-2016, 12:03 PM
he may be a good coach but not a head coach IMO

i'm not a fan, we were better off with norv to be honest. but yeah the chargers origination is in shambles right now, is there another franchise worse right now?

I think you are better off then the Browns, Not by much mind you lol, but better

-Rod-
01-03-2016, 12:33 PM
When the hot name out there seems to be Adam Gase, finding a new head coach will be a big roll of the dice. The names with previous HC experience: Chip Kelly, Doug Marrone... Norv Turner? Better hope for a season with less injuries and more talent on the roster.

baphamet
01-03-2016, 01:50 PM
I think you are better off then the Browns, Not by much mind you lol, but better

i mean from a franchise standpoint, the browns are really bad too don't get me wrong. but right now with all the controversy and with the chargers likely moving, it's about as bad as it gets.

baphamet
01-03-2016, 01:50 PM
When the hot name out there seems to be Adam Gase, finding a new head coach will be a big roll of the dice. The names with previous HC experience: Chip Kelly, Doug Marrone... Norv Turner? Better hope for a season with less injuries and more talent on the roster.

that is a good point actually.

baphamet
01-04-2016, 12:18 PM
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/04/chargers-retain-mike-mccoy-head-coach/

:rolleyes:

Rancid
01-04-2016, 12:26 PM
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/04/chargers-retain-mike-mccoy-head-coach/

A good move to keep them from being the Cleveland of the West Coast.

Rastic
01-04-2016, 12:31 PM
A good move to keep them from being the Cleveland of the West Coast.

You should copyright that, like right now before I beat you to it.

Bronco51
01-04-2016, 08:21 PM
So they keep McCoy but fire nearly everyone else. How much power will he have next year? Does he have any input on the staff?

And sure enough they filed their papers to move to LA today.

Grandpa
01-05-2016, 02:55 AM

Another "swing and a miss" for the talking heads this year. :D Can't understand why so many put such blind faith in such inaccurate sources .... amazing, simply amazing.