PDA

View Full Version : NFL Recommends Bid Between Chargers, Raiders

Broncoholic JS
01-12-2016, 01:44 PM
The NFL's six-owner Committee on Los Angeles Opportunities has recommended the joint bid between The Oakland Raiders & San Diego Chargers.
https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xap1/t51.2885-15/e35/1168664_985441931522534_590091204_n.jpg

Wonder how this impacts the league and AFC West?

Dennis.1960
01-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Wow...assuming this were to actually happen and realignment was necessary, the only thing I'm sure of is I do not want the Seahawks back in the AFCW...I'm very happy to see them throttle the 9ers twice a year indefinitely ;) Not sure why, but I have a feeling we'd get the Cardinals.

As far as who goes to the NFC, they can have the bolts. The rivalry between us and the raiders is just too good to give up :smash:

Garfield
01-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Pretty sure one would have to move to the NFC. As Fox would never allow themselves to be out the number 2 TV market In The USA.

Which then. Means an NFC team has to move to the Afcw. AZ or the seahaghs would be logical replacements.

baphamet
01-12-2016, 01:52 PM
The NFL's six-owner Committee on Los Angeles Opportunities has recommended the joint bid between The Oakland Raiders & San Diego Chargers.
https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xap1/t51.2885-15/e35/1168664_985441931522534_590091204_n.jpg

Wonder how this impacts the league and AFC West?

that's just their recommendation to the rest of the owners. their recommendation does hold a lot of weight but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the project that will get passed.

i sure hope the Inglewood site still has hope, don't mess with our divisions damnit!!

Garfield
01-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Wonder how pissed Stan is now.

broncolee
01-12-2016, 01:55 PM
It's likely the seachicks return to the AFC West if this goes down. I wonder if Kroenke has the stones to move without NFL approval. Didn't someone suggest he could and could win a court battle, if he had to?

baphamet
01-12-2016, 01:59 PM
As far as who goes to the NFC, they can have the bolts. The rivalry between us and the raiders is just too good to give up :smash:

if they are going by history of rivalries then that's the logical choice but my money is on the raiders leaving for two reasons. first of all mark davis has the least leverage of the three owners trying to move, he will pretty much take what he can get and its rumored that the owners don't really want the raiders back in LA so he would have to give in to whatever demands just to get to LA.

secondly, mark davis already said a while back he has no issue going to the NFC, spanos has never made such a claim.

if you think the NFL cares about what the fans think or rivalries just think about this for a second.....the rams have by far the biggest fan base in LA out of the three teams and would be left out, totally ignoring what most of the fans in LA want.

so i wouldn't count on them making any decision based on rivalries, that's for sure.

KansasKrista
01-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Seattle would probably dominate the AFC west if they come back.
I would hate to see it honestly.

L.M.
01-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Th isn't a final decision yet. They still have to debate and vote.

League's committee on Los Angeles recommends Carson project

By Judy Battista
NFL Media reporter
Published: Jan. 12, 2016 at 03:19 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 12, 2016 at 05:18 p.m.

HOUSTON -- NFL owners began their league meeting on Los Angeles relocation at 9 a.m. CT and have heard presentations in support of the Carson project for the Raiders and Chargers and one for the Rams. The Carson presentation was made by Disney Chairman Robert Iger, who would oversee the development of the stadium if owners approve the plan. Chargers owner Dean Spanos also made what was said to be an impassioned plea on behalf of his family. The owners also received the recommendation of the league's committee on Los Angeles: The six-member committee recommended the Carson project.

How much sway the committee's recommendation has with the rest of ownership remains to be seen, although it is unusual for ownership to go against the recommendation of a committee.

In recent days, though, momentum seems to have shifted to a compromise solution: The Rams and Chargers pairing in Stan Kroenke's proposed Inglewood stadium, with the Raiders remaining in Oakland, an idea being pushed by the Dallas Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones. When the meeting opened on Tuesday, that compromise -- which would have the Chargers either as partners with Kroenke or as his tenant -- was seen as the only proposal that could garner the 24 votes necessary for approval. Without it, ownership is divided between the Carson and Inglewood proposals and neither side is thought to have the 24 votes for approval.

Of all three teams, the Chargers have the most support because owners feel Spanos has been a good partner and do not want to leave him out of Los Angeles. But there is a block of owners -- Jones is among them -- who strongly support the Inglewood stadium and Kroenke.

The meeting was scheduled to run through Wednesday, although there was some hope that a vote could be taken by the end of Tuesday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621555/article/leagues-committee-on-los-angeles-recommends-carson-project

Dennis.1960
01-14-2016, 12:36 PM
if you think the NFL cares about what the fans think or rivalries just think about this for a second.....the rams have by far the biggest fan base in LA out of the three teams and would be left out, totally ignoring what most of the fans in LA want.

so i wouldn't count on them making any decision based on rivalries, that's for sure.

I have no illusions there...I know the NFL could care less about what the fans want or rivalries we like. It's all about the cash and with the popularity of the NFL they know full well that whatever moves they decide will attract more new fans than the old fans they'd lose. Sucks, but it's true ;)

L.M.
01-14-2016, 01:43 PM
I have no illusions there...I know the NFL could care less about what the fans want or rivalries we like. It's all about the cash and with the popularity of the NFL they know full well that whatever moves they decide will attract more new fans than the old fans they'd lose. Sucks, but it's true ;)

Well that's not entirely true. The ownership does care about rivalries as they perceive and like them. I followed the League reorganization in 2002 where they had a chance to have the divisions make geographic sense on the map, but the owners prioritized keeping the Cowboys/Giants and Dolphins/Bills rivalries and said so after the meetings. Otherwise Miami would have been South (with Indy North, and Baltimore East) and Dallas would have been South (with Carolina East) instead.

Dennis.1960
01-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Well that's not entirely true. The ownership does care about rivalries as they perceive and like them.

I'd say that probably means the rivalries stay that generate the most revenue for the league ;)