PDA

View Full Version : LA Team(s) move Update thread

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Stan Kroenke reportedly warns owners not to cross him & threatens legal action if Carson project is chosen. http://on.ksdk.com/1PV5jtT

#Rams #Raiders #Chargers only 2 proposals on ballot. Rams-Chargers Inglewood. Raiders-Chargers Carson. Chargers move to LA either way.

Looks like rams alone was pulled if these are correct

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Vincent Bonsignore ‏@DailyNewsVinny 15m15 minutes ago
Whether you like the #Chargers or not, what an amazing effort to work their way into an L.A. guarantee.

Lot of twitter chat saying its looking a lot like Rams/Chargers to LA Inglewood

L.M.
01-12-2016, 03:36 PM
This article here keeps getting updated and there's a video here with Judy Battista and Ian Rapopport reporting in from the site of the meeting for those interested:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621555/article/leagues-committee-on-los-angeles-recommends-carson-project

L.M.
01-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Stan Kroenke reportedly warns owners not to cross him & threatens legal action if Carson project is chosen. http://on.ksdk.com/1PV5jtT

As I noted in another thread-

If history is anything to go by, what the League votes doesn't necessarily deter owners:

-In 1946 NFL owners voted down owner Dan Reeves bid to move the Rams to LA and he threatened to dump the team and/or leave the League and they backed down.

-In 1995 NFL owners voted down owner Georgia Frontiere's bid to move the Rams to St Louis, she threatened a lawsuit, and they backed down.

-Now you have another very willful Ram's owner in Stan Kroenke hellbent on exiting St. Louis and if the League tries to bar him he might counter with an anti-trust lawsuit.

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Its certainly looking like if anything does get approved, regardless of which one, the Chargers are gone.

CoryWinget81
01-12-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm really hoping the Raiders move to San Antonio and remain in the AFCW. Less than a 6 hour drive for me. :D

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 04:23 PM
I'm really hoping the Raiders move to San Antonio and remain in the AFCW. Less than a 6 hour drive for me. :D

Good luck with that, I don't think Jerry wants that. San Antonio has a very heavy Cowboys fan base. I would be very surprised if any NFL team moved to San Antonio. Pleasently surprised but VERY suprised.

samparnell
01-12-2016, 04:23 PM

Are you in possession of a wormhole? Denver isn't within a six hour radius of San Antonio, TX in my universe. Maybe San Antonio, NM with a really fast car and an excellent radar detector.

P.S. I think the Raiders should stay somewhere in California, preferably Oakland.

CoryWinget81
01-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Are you in possession of a wormhole? Denver isn't within a six hour radius of San Antonio, TX in my universe. Maybe San Antonio, NM with a really fast car and an excellent radar detector.

nope I currently am in Odessa, TX.

I did make it from 225/25 to Santa Fe in just under 5 hours once though. :P

L.M.
01-12-2016, 04:28 PM

P.S. I think the Raiders should stay somewhere in California, preferably Oakland.

That's what I think too. Let 'em share Levi Stadium in Santa Clara with the Niners til they get their own built.

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Per NFLN, Carson project is out not enough votes, only one that will have enough votes is Rams and team to be determined

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 04:30 PM

What are you doing in Odessa

samparnell
01-12-2016, 04:34 PM

That's pretty quick. Was it at night?

Have you moved to Odessa permianently? :D

L.M.
01-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer 1h1 hour ago

First round of votes completed. Rams/TBD in Inglewood gets more votes than Raiders/Chargers in Carson. Nobody at required 24 yet.

samparnell
01-12-2016, 04:35 PM
That's what I think too. Let 'em share Levi Stadium in Santa Clara with the Niners til they get their own built.

That's great idea.

CoryWinget81
01-12-2016, 04:36 PM
What are you doing in Odessa

I was trying to get in on this oilfield money, have a friend that owns a business here. Oil closed at less than $30 a barrel today with no uptick in sight. Made some good money and got to walk down memory lane for a year with a bunch of old friends.

I wanna go home. :sad:

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 04:44 PM
I was trying to get in on this oilfield money, have a friend that owns a business here. Oil closed at less than $30 a barrel today with no uptick in sight. Made some good money and got to walk down memory lane for a year with a bunch of old friends.

I wanna go home. :sad:

I'm currently in a hotel in Midland.

Gotta love Odessa, No trees, no water, gotta be carefule smiling and barbaquing in the summers cause of the sand while you endure the Desert hot temps and then you get to deal with the roads that lack dranage when it storms and lets not forget the snow and ice in the winter with towns and roads that arent exactly the best equipped for it and lots of people who can't drive in it.

So how do you like it so far?:D

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Sounds like news coming very soon on nfln

will be rams and inglewood waiting to hear next team Chargers first option

samparnell
01-12-2016, 04:50 PM

Gotta love Odessa, No trees, no water, gotta be carefule smiling and barbaquing in the summers cause of the sand while you endure the Desert hot temps and then you get to deal with the roads that lack dranage when it storms and lets not forget the snow and ice in the winter with towns and roads that arent exactly the best equipped for it and lots of people who can't drive in it.

Have you been to the local museum to see the Jim Hall Chaparral racing cars?

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Have you been to the local museum to see the Jim Hall Chaparral racing cars?

No, I hadn't heard of it, would be interested though.

CoryWinget81
01-12-2016, 04:54 PM

I grew up in this meth infested, dusty, hot, hellhole. I didn't miss it much. I did miss my friends, but that's about it.

PM incoming!

L.M.
01-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 50m50 minutes ago

Two items up for vote: Chargers/Raiders in Carson & Rams/TBD in Inglewood. Clear the Rams site is garnering more support at this point

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 49m49 minutes ago

Why is it Rams/TBD in Inglewood? Because Chargers & Raiders partnering with another team would violate their agreement for Carson.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 48m48 minutes ago

One item to discuss: If #Rams/TBD wins the vote and gets to 24, how to add a second team without violating the Carson agreement.

Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer 44m44 minutes ago

First round of votes was 20-12 in favor of Rans/TBD in Inglewood short of the required 24. LA committee now meeting with Spanos and Davis.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 31m31 minutes ago

The @NFL's Los Angeles committee is now set to meet with the #Rams, #Chargers, #Raiders individually. Time to make a deal.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 24m24 minutes ago

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Judy Battista

Hmmmm. If they bow out, @NFL will help them find a hole in Oakland

Ian Rapoport added,
Judy Battista @judybattista
there is strong opposition to the Raiders in LA among owners, I am told.

Sam Farmer @LATimesfarmer
Roger Goodell is discussing a new proposal with the owners. Vote coming very soon.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago

The expectation is for the Inglewood site with 2nd team option. First going to Chargers, then Raiders. Lots of moving parts.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25s25 seconds ago

Key for @NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: How to make sure the #Raiders are happy. Sounds like #Chargers able to join #Rams in Inglewood

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Raiders are out of the mix per nfln saying that decision very close now and looks like Rams and Chargers are going to LA

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Vincent Bonsignore ‏@DailyNewsVinny 48s48 seconds ago
The #Rams back to L.A. is done. Wherhe the #Chargers join them now or later only question

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Vincent Bonsignore ‏@DailyNewsVinny 48s48 seconds ago
The #Rams back to L.A. is done. Wherhe the #Chargers join them now or later only question

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Vincent Bonsignore ‏@DailyNewsVinny 10m10 minutes ago
Being told the #Chargers are pretty angry at how it's turned out.

L.M.
01-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m16 minutes ago

Sounds like the #Raiders have bowed out. It's #Rams and #Chargers, with details and timing being worked out. In Inglewood

L.M.
01-12-2016, 06:19 PM
Vincent Bonsignore ‏@DailyNewsVinny 10m10 minutes ago
Being told the #Chargers are pretty angry at how it's turned out.

Awww!(sniff) :sad: Poor, poor Bolts didn't get their way in Carson and screwing up the divisions!

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Awww!(sniff) :sad: Poor, poor Bolts didn't get their way in Carson and screwing up the divisions!

Couldn't said it better :laugh::laugh::laugh:

L.M.
01-12-2016, 06:27 PM
I'm wondering who the Broncos sent (Joe Ellis?) and which way they voted.

Bowlen, Elway and Kroenke all owned the Colorado Crush arena team together (Kroenke also owns the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Rapids and Colorado Mammoth) so I wonder if there's friendship and loyalty from the Broncos organization with him that would sway Denver's vote?

Dennis.1960
01-12-2016, 06:39 PM

I lived in the SF bay area for 50+ years and I can tell you that will never happen and you need to have lived in the bay area to understand why.

I was living in Santa Clara during the negotiations and attended the Santa Clara City Council hearings. I was also running my tax and bookkeeping business at that time and was a member of the Santa Clara chamber of commerce. The Santa Clara Council will vote for anything that brings more revenue to the city, regardless of the negative impact on traffic or the inconvenience to it's residents...even if they have to chip in taxpayer money or draw cash from the general fund. I was there and saw it firsthand. So I have no doubt the city would love to get a game every single week at their new stadium. Problem is, to get the stadium vote to pass Jed York spent a massive amount of time courting Santa Clara, even having many "get to know the 49ers" evening coffee gatherings at the homes of anyone in the chamber who would have him. After all that work and shmoozing he put in for his precious billion dollar venue, there is NO WAY he will allow those dirty raiders from the ugly side of the bay to share his shiny new masterpiece, Levi Stadium. It's an ego thing and a bay area thing. The San Jose area has been San Francisco's ugly stepchild for 40 years...but if there's one area the snotty nosed SF elitists despise more than the south bay, it's Oakland and the east bay.

Look at the fight that's gone on for years with the Giants doing everything they can to keep the A's from moving to San Jose. They claim the south bay is their fan base and refuse to allow any other team to share that. York and the 9ers will behave the same way and do everything possible to keep the raiders from encroaching on their fan base.

If sharing a stadium in LA becomes a reality, then sharing Levi stadium with the raiders would make perfect sense...but it will never happen ;)

L.M.
01-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago

When the #Chargers get the option of moving to LA... it does create a window for the city of San Diego to potentially hold onto their team.
95 retweets 71 likes
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago

The vote is happening now. It'll be official soon: Los Angeles Rams, #Chargers with an option to join them. #Raiders back to Oakland.
732 retweets 373 likes
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 17m17 minutes ago

Los Angeles Rams. ... That'll take some getting used to

Judy Battista ‏@judybattista 17m17 minutes ago

Where we are: Rams for sure to Inglewood, Chargers with option to join them. very close to the conclusion here.

Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer 38s38 seconds ago

After a 21-year odyssey, it’s over .
And beginning anew.
The NFL is coming back to Los Angeles – Rams (YES) and Chargers (MAYBE)
68 retweets 39 likes
Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer 1m1 minute ago

RAMS -- YES
SAN DIEGO -- MAYBE
193 retweets 90 likes
Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer 3m3 minutes ago

It's DONE. 30 yes, 2 no.

FL BRONCO
01-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Vincent Bonsignore ‏@DailyNewsVinny 7m7 minutes ago
Dean Spanos has insisted to me time and again he won't deal with #Rams. 1/2

wow

Atwnbroncfan
01-12-2016, 06:44 PM
The chargers are royally screwed unless they locate out of the state of California.

L.M.
01-12-2016, 06:46 PM
I lived in the SF bay area for 50+ years and I can tell you that will never happen and you need to have lived in the bay area to understand why.

I was living in Santa Clara during the negotiations and attended the Santa Clara City Council hearings. I was also running my tax and bookkeeping business at that time and was a member of the Santa Clara chamber of commerce. The Santa Clara Council will vote for anything that brings more revenue to the city, regardless of the negative impact on traffic or the inconvenience to it's residents...even if they have to chip in taxpayer money or draw cash from the general fund. I was there and saw it firsthand. So I have no doubt the city would love to get a game every single week at their new stadium. Problem is, to get the stadium vote to pass Jed York spent a massive amount of time courting Santa Clara, even having many "get to know the 49ers" evening coffee gatherings at the homes of anyone in the chamber who would have him. After all that work and shmoozing he put in for his precious billion dollar venue, there is NO WAY he will allow those dirty raiders from the ugly side of the bay to share his shiny new masterpiece, Levi Stadium. It's an ego thing and a bay area thing. The San Jose area has been San Francisco's ugly stepchild for 40 years...but if there's one area the snotty nosed SF elitists despise more than the south bay, it's Oakland and the east bay.

Look at the fight that's gone on for years with the Giants doing everything they can to keep the A's from moving to San Jose. They claim the south bay is their fan base and refuse to allow any other team to share that. York and the 9ers will behave the same way and do everything possible to keep the raiders from encroaching on their fan base.

If sharing a stadium in LA becomes a reality, then sharing Levi stadium with the raiders would make perfect sense...but it will never happen ;)

I knew Niners fans had a prejudice against the Raiders but I didn't realize all of this -thanks! Well, it looks like the Raiders are going to stay in Oakland. Where they play in the meantime is a mystery.

L.M.
01-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Eric Dickerson ‏@EricDickerson 1m1 minute ago

Welcome Home! #LARams2016

:)

Rastic
01-12-2016, 06:57 PM
I love that Spanos is bent out of shape. Love it, love it, love it. :smug:

L.M.
01-12-2016, 06:58 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago

#Dolphins owner Stephen Ross tells reporters that this agreement does give the city of San Diego a chance to keep the #Chargers

-

That would be ideal, really.

Rastic
01-12-2016, 07:03 PM
Goodell on stage...

Rastic
01-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Goodell: Brady suspended for 2016 season!!

Rastic
01-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Oops, dozed off there for a sec. Dreaming... :goofy:

BroncoFanBoy
01-12-2016, 07:06 PM
I heard Los Angeles doesn't have much of a Chargers fanbase, so it would've been dumb for them to move there.

The Raiders still have a very big fanbase. Their stadium is terrible, but I think it would've been stupid for them to leave.

This is best case scenario. Besides, St. Louis is more of a baseball city anyway.

Rastic
01-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Chargers stay in SD for now.

L.M.
01-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 17m17 minutes ago

#Chargers owner Dean Spanos makes a statement on the "compromise"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYkMxAZUAAARIAz.jpg

Judy Battista ‏@judybattista 16m16 minutes ago

Spanos says this has been excruciating.

Judy Battista ‏@judybattista 18m18 minutes ago

Mark Davis says this is not a win for the Raiders. "We'll see where Raider nation ends up."

Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer 24m24 minutes ago

Rams move. Chargers $100M and option to move to LA. Raiders $100M plus option to move to LA if Chargers don't.

L.M.
01-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 19m19 minutes ago

This is new. #Rams owner Stan Kroenke says he's offered the #Chargers either a partnership or relationship as a tenant.

UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 16m16 minutes ago

My sense is that the decision/announcement will come within the next 4 weeks or so as to whether #Chargers pursue November vote in San Diego

Judy Battista ‏@judybattista 20m20 minutes ago

Chargers could go to Inglewood as either partner or tenant. Same for Raiders if Chargers decline.

broncolee
01-12-2016, 09:27 PM
So this could end up with both the Chargers and Raiders saying to there fan bases, " You see what had happened was some paperwork was mysteriously filed with the NFL saying we wanted to move, but we don't know how that happened. We love it here and we would never move".😍😇

I don't see why St. Louis isn't an option for the Chargers or the Raiders. I think Kroenke just wanted out but I'm guessing anything Missouri offers is better than what either has now. It also doesn't make sense for the Chargers to not want to move with the Rams. There almost has to be a personal grudge that Spanos has against Kroenke.

L.M.
01-12-2016, 09:34 PM
So this could end up with both the Chargers and Raiders saying to there fan bases, " You see what had happened was some paperwork was mysteriously filed with the NFL saying we wanted to move, but we don't know how that happened. We love it here and we would never move".����

I don't see why St. Louis isn't an option for the Chargers or the Raiders. I think Kroenke just wanted out but I'm guessing anything Missouri offers is better than what either has now. It also doesn't make sense for the Chargers to not want to move with the Rams. There almost has to be a personal grudge that Spanos has against Kroenke.

One of the tweets above seemed to imply that perhaps.

Eighty3
01-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Well, I'm glad it looks like the Broncos-Chiefs-Raiders rivalries won't be getting messed up. I feel bad for St. Louis but the Rams returning to LA did seem to make the most sense. Of course, if the owner can't do a better job of putting a winning product on the field it could flop pretty quick. Hopefully, the Rams at least go back to the old yellow and blue uniforms.

L.M.
01-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Now that the dust has settled, all I can say is that I'm totally relieved that the AFC West will contain its same four teams, and that the dreaded Seahawks are not coming back. AMEN and thank you!

L.M.
01-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Well, I'm glad it looks like the Broncos-Chiefs-Raiders rivalries won't be getting messed up. I feel bad for St. Louis but the Rams returning to LA did seem to make the most sense. Of course, if the owner can't do a better job of putting a winning product on the field it could flop pretty quick. Hopefully, the Rams at least go back to the old yellow and blue uniforms.

Those uni's were ugly as sin! :laugh: I grew up watching them though as the LA Rams.

The Rams aren't a trainwreck, theyre one step away from being back in contention. People will flock to the new stadium and entertainment complex just because it's so awesome! Take a look at all the renderings of it here:

http://stadiumdb.com/designs/usa/inglewood_nfl_stadium

This and it's massive potential for profit in hosting Superbowls, Probowls, other sports and entertainments is what swung votes in Kroenke's favor.

PAINTERDAVE
01-12-2016, 10:46 PM
So.. the NFL is willing to GIVE San Diego 100 million for a new stadium?

That sets precedent..
and now every team should expect the NFL to GIVE them 100 million for their new stadium.

Bad precedent to set.

baphamet
01-12-2016, 11:29 PM
Now that the dust has settled, all I can say is that I'm totally relieved that the AFC West will contain its same four teams, and that the dreaded Seahawks are not coming back. AMEN and thank you!

i am happy about that too and happy for the rams fans in LA.

baphamet
01-12-2016, 11:32 PM

That sets precedent..
and now every team should expect the NFL to GIVE them 100 million for their new stadium.

Bad precedent to set.

it's not free money, it's a loan. every team gets a $200 million loan from the NFL when they build a stadium, the chargers will get 300, same deal the NFL offered to give st. louis.

Edit: oh snap, guess i was wrong lol

L.M.
01-13-2016, 12:01 AM

That sets precedent..

Bad precedent to set.

Raiders got the same, if they choose not to join the Rams in L.A. It's just a fraction of what a modern stadium costs though. The one they wanted in Carson was $1.7 billion to build. The one in Inglewood is about the same. Ours in Denver costed about $500m in today's dollars. If their owners are willing to settle for something less grandiose than the Carson project the latter might be a sum they can cobble together if their cities can improve their proposals and the owners are more cooperative too.

broncolee
01-13-2016, 07:26 AM

That sets precedent..

Bad precedent to set.

It's really just a discount on the cost of a stadium.

As far as I'm concerned, the NFL should be paying for any new stadium when the old one is deemed out of date. Why bilk the tax payers when the NFL can front the money? They can call half the money a loan and the other half a grant.

baphamet
01-13-2016, 07:57 AM
Raiders got the same, if they choose not to join the Rams in L.A. It's just a fraction of what a modern stadium costs though. The one they wanted in Carson was $1.7 billion to build. The one in Inglewood is about the same. Ours in Denver costed about $500m in today's dollars. If their owners are willing to settle for something less grandiose than the Carson project the latter might be a sum they can cobble together if their cities can improve their proposals and the owners are more cooperative too.

the stadium the chargers were trying to get done in SD was an estimated 1.1 billion, so cheaper than the LA stadium for sure.

Rastic
01-13-2016, 08:52 AM
the stadium the chargers were trying to get done in SD was an estimated 1.1 billion, so cheaper than the LA stadium for sure.

Yep, ever since Ikea moved in to Mission Valley building prices have gone up.

L.M.
01-13-2016, 09:13 AM

:jawdrop: Well, Spanos clearly wants a lavish and premium facility then, because he can certainly build a decent stadium for less than a billion, so he may as well just join Kroenke in Inglewood.

baphamet
01-13-2016, 09:52 AM
:jawdrop: Well, Spanos clearly wants a lavish and premium facility then, because he can certainly build a decent stadium for less than a billion, so he may as well just join Kroenke in Inglewood.

yeah but best believe ever since "jerry's world" was built, every stadium built from here on out will be over a billion dollars. thats also considering these estimated costs are almost always exceeded, i seen a report that stan's stadium will likely exceed $2 billion when it's finally finished. :eek:

L.M.
01-13-2016, 09:58 AM
yeah but best believe ever since "jerry's world" was built, every stadium built from here on out will be over a billion dollars. thats also considering these estimated costs are almost always exceeded, i seen a report that stan's stadium will likely exceed $2 billion when it's finally finished. :eek:

Stan is building a ginormous glass roof over it, hotels, restaurants and a small shopping center with fountains and lakes attached to it! :laugh: Carson was also going to be a little Disneyworld with Iger involved in it. A stadium itself doesn't have to have ferris wheels and missile silos with it!

Dennis.1960
01-13-2016, 10:16 AM

Amen to that Brother :peace:

Dennis.1960
01-13-2016, 10:21 AM
I knew Niners fans had a prejudice against the Raiders but I didn't realize all of this -thanks! Well, it looks like the Raiders are going to stay in Oakland. Where they play in the meantime is a mystery.

Ya, it goes way beyond football...and baseball. It's an ingrained regional hatred and a true soap opera for sure ;)

pozbaird
01-13-2016, 10:38 AM
I cannot get my head around how it must feel if you are a St Louis Rams fan, and today you wake up with no team to support. Imagine you are a married couple with kids, and your kids have Rams jerseys, posters, are members of some sort of Rams junior supporters club or something.

Tough one to take. Really hard for us Brits' to even contemplate our soccer teams leaving their cities.

I hate it when Goodell always calls it 'the market', not 'the city'. Yes, it's a business, yes the NFL is big business, but it just sounds so cold and calculated.

Spice 1
01-13-2016, 10:59 AM
I cannot get my head around how it must feel if you are a St Louis Rams fan, and today you wake up with no team to support. Imagine you are a married couple with kids, and your kids have Rams jerseys, posters, are members of some sort of Rams junior supporters club or something.

Tough one to take. Really hard for us Brits' to even contemplate our soccer teams leaving their cities.

I hate it when Goodell always calls it 'the market', not 'the city'. Yes, it's a business, yes the NFL is big business, but it just sounds so cold and calculated.

That's because it is cold and calculated. That's how they became billionaires in the first place. Corridor of Chameleons.

L.M.
01-13-2016, 11:09 AM

I was empathizing a little bit on this point myself last night. What if Kroenke owned the Broncos instead and moved them to L.A. (nevermind that this would never happen, nor need to happen since Denver's market is excellent, nor fit, etc.) how would we feel about that? I for one would be horrified and angry beyond words!

If the Rams had been a floundering, winless team the entire time in St. Louis, maybe they wouldn't be missed, but they brought one Lombardi and Two George Halas Trophies to that city during their stay there and won over a lot of fans in that process -who are now naturally bitter.

Dennis.1960
01-13-2016, 01:12 PM

I lived in the SF bay area when the raiders buggered off to LA back in '82 and the raider fans I knew all looked like someone had punched them in the gut. Takes a lot to make me feel sorry for raider fans but I did at first. Then I noticed they all kept rooting for the LA raiders! I mean, I grew up a Vikings fan and felt betrayed when they moved to the dome in '82...football is meant to be played outside in the elements on natural grass so I jumped ship in '84 and became a Bronco fan. Why in the world would a raider fan still root for a team that totally betrayed them by moving 400 miles away? Why would you support an owner that just kicked you in the teeth after you spent years supporting them by going to games and buying jerseys? Crazy...

When a franchise moves it just reminds me that it may be a game for us, but it's simply a business to those that control the NFL and all they care about is $$$. Look at the whole concussion thing happening now...do you think if ex-players hadn't put together a class action lawsuit vs the NFL that they would even care about whether a player (aka employee) was in danger of long term health problems?

L.M.
01-13-2016, 01:26 PM
I lived in the SF bay area when the raiders buggered off to LA back in '82 and the raider fans I knew all looked like someone had punched them in the gut. Takes a lot to make me feel sorry for raider fans but I did at first. Then I noticed they all kept rooting for the LA raiders! I mean, I grew up a Vikings fan and felt betrayed when they moved to the dome in '82...football is meant to be played outside in the elements on natural grass so I jumped ship in '84 and became a Bronco fan. Why in the world would a raider fan still root for a team that totally betrayed them by moving 400 miles away? Why would you support an owner that just kicked you in the teeth after you spent years supporting them by going to games and buying jerseys? Crazy...

When a franchise moves it just reminds me that it may be a game for us, but it's simply a business to those that control the NFL and all they care about is $$$. Look at the whole concussion thing happening now...do you think if ex-players hadn't put together a class action lawsuit vs the NFL that they would even care about whether a player (aka employee) was in danger of long term health problems?

Well the Raiders didn't leave California though, and I think if someone really likes the team, the current roster specifically, they should still root for them. The Raiders won the SB right after they moved, hard for their Oakland fans not to be excited about that!

And in this day and age, fans are scattered all over the country (even the world) anyway. There's nothing that says you have to be a Denverite or a Colorado resident to love the Broncos. Even if they left Denver to another state, I would still root for them, even though I wouldn't like the move, nor being out of reasonable driving distance of the stadium.

Hadez
01-13-2016, 01:28 PM

The STL fans probably feel almost as bad as the LA Rams fans did when STL took the Rams in the first place.

In fact imagine being a Ram fan for decades only to see your team move to STL then win a Championship

Hard for me to feel sorry for a town that has lost two NFL franchises now

They know how the buiz works....work the game good or suffer the loss

That option thing for the Chargers was a wake up call to San Diego...replace yoir 1960s stadium with a new one or your team is gone.

These people know the buiz...

Keep in mind Edward Jones Dome (1995) is only 6 years older than Sports Authority Field (2001).

Also notice the names we are calling where our teams play.

People know the buiz...

This is why I am thankful the Bowlen familiy is keeping our Broncos! Even then before our new stadium was built there were rumors of the LA Broncos..

Dennis.1960
01-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Well the Raiders didn't leave California though, and I think if someone really likes the team, the current roster specifically, they should still root for them. The Raiders won the SB right after they moved, hard for their Oakland fans not to be excited about that!

True. But this is another of those SF bay area things I was describing earlier. SF may look down on Oakland and San Jose, but the entire bay area hates LA ;)

pozbaird
01-13-2016, 01:43 PM
The STL fans probably feel almost as bad as the LA Rams fans did when STL took the Rams in the first place.

In fact imagine being a Ram fan for decades only to see your team move to STL then win a Championship

That option thing for the Chargers was a wake up call to San Diego...replace yoir 1960s stadium with a new one or your team is gone.

I don't feel sorry for the city of St Louis, I have no real knowledge of the politics, or could a deal have been done with the proposed 'waterfront stadium' in St Louis.

I merely expressed empathy with someone, for whom, the St Louis Rams meant as much to them as the Broncos do to people on here. As I mentioned, how would you explain to a young fan 'You don't have a team to support any more', the Rams are moving to Los Angeles. Mind you, what if the kid replies 'Thank God for that - get me a Broncos jersey dad'.

Yikes!

pozbaird
01-13-2016, 02:01 PM

Goes without saying the NFL is a big business, and the dollar is king. It isn't alone though. Look at the money washing around the English soccer premiership, look at the crazy money spent at Manchester City by their oil-rich Arab owners. Look at the money Real Madrid spent on Ronaldo.

Yeah, it's a big business. Still - I wonder what the NFL would be like IF the business aspect of it wasn't run like a well-oiled machine. The NFL is, for all its faults, a wonderful spectacle. When you get a game like the recent Broncos - Patriots game. When you see a Beckham one-handed catch, when a Blair Walsh field goal sparks such intense agony and sheer joy in equal measure, when the Seahawks throw that ball and not run it in the Superbowl. 'The Drive', 'The Immaculate Interception'... Games, moments, Elway, Montana, Marino...history.

Bottom line - it is still a wonderful sport.

Spice 1
01-13-2016, 02:02 PM

Keep in mind Edward Jones Dome (1995) is only 6 years older than Sports Authority Field (2001).

Also notice the names we are calling where our teams play.

People know the buiz...

This is why I am thankful the Bowlen familiy is keeping our Broncos! Even then before our new stadium was built there were rumors of the LA Broncos..

Almost happened the opposite way with the Titans, save for the name change. Did happen to the Browns fans when the Ravens won, but Cleveland did get to keep the name and colors (not that it did them any good). I think that Baltimore deserved a SB about as much as Cleveland did though. Just would've been nice if they did it without a transplant team.

Grandpa
01-13-2016, 02:05 PM

And, in the market, we fans are the teams' and the NFL's cash cows. Tickets, souveniers, hats, jackets, jerseys, decals, mugs, license plate holders, keychains, shot glasses, coasters ..... need more? And this mega-business even has other businesses shelling out money (to it or the local government coffers) so the other businesses' names are on the stadium walls, logos, post cards, etc. Anyone else remember when Mile High Stadium was just that ... Mile High Stadium? instead of Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium?
:sad:

pozbaird
01-13-2016, 02:11 PM
And, in the market, we fans are the teams' and the NFL's cash cows. Tickets, souveniers, hats, jackets, jerseys, decals, mugs, license plate holders, keychains, shot glasses, coasters ..... need more proof?

I've got ten Broncos T Shirts, a 'Wembley 10' jersey, an 'Elway 7' jersey, two Broncos rain jackets, two wooly hats, one scarf, a coffee mug, and two Broncos decals on my car to spread the gospel of Broncomania across Scotland....

I'm a bad, bad man!

Grandpa
01-13-2016, 02:13 PM
I've got ten Broncos T Shirts, two jackets, two wooly hats, one scarf, a coffee mug, and two Broncos decals on my car to spread the gospel of Broncomania across Scotland....

I'm a bad, bad man!
Moooooooooooooooooooooooooove along, little Scottie. :D

Confession Time: I have #7, #30, #77, and #87 jerseys; framed, autographed 8x10 of #87; auto license plate holder; steering wheel cover; seat belt cushioning straps; double set of shot glasses; coffee mug; thermos (I don't that's available any longer), five baseball hats, numerous short- and long-sleeved shirts .... and that's just stuff I can remember off the top of my head right now. So, fellow Broncos fan, moooooooooooooooooooooooooove over!

Grandpa
01-13-2016, 02:29 PM
The Raiders won the SB right after they moved, hard for their Oakland fans not to be excited about that!
The Raiders' move to LA was 1982, with a return to Oakland in 1995. They won SB XV in New Orleans in 1981, the year before their move to LA. Their next SB appearance was XXXVII in 2003 (eight years after their return to Oakland) down in San Diego, where the Tampa Buc Baconeers beat them 46-21.

(Doesn't have anything to do with my age; I'm a history buff. :D )

EDIT: I take that back; they DID win XVIII as well. Threw me off because I have them listed as the Los Angeles Raiders, and my search was for the Oakland Raiders. (Gotta see if Sears sells replacement memories!)

DevilSpawn
01-13-2016, 05:02 PM
The Raiders' move to LA was 1982, with a return to Oakland in 1995. They won SB XV in New Orleans in 1981, the year before their move to LA. Their next SB appearance was XXXVII in 2003 (eight years after their return to Oakland) down in San Diego, where the Tampa Buc Baconeers beat them 46-21.

(Doesn't have anything to do with my age; I'm a history buff. :D )

EDIT: I take that back; they DID win XVIII as well. Threw me off because I have them listed as the Los Angeles Raiders, and my search was for the Oakland Raiders. (Gotta see if Sears sells replacement memories!)
The NFL tried to block the Raiders from moving to L.A.. Al Davis sued, won, won the Superbowl and had to have the man he defeated in court hand him the Superbowl trophy. To this day it''s the most intense trophy presentation hype of all time lol, even though both parties were respectful.

L.M.
01-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Oakland mayor working on new stadium deal for Raiders (http://abc7news.com/sports/oakland-mayor-working-on-new-stadium-deal-for-raiders/1157773/)

Schaaf renewed her commitment to reaching a stadium proposal that works for the Raiders, NFL, fans and the Oakland tax payers. "Now that Los Angeles is behind us, we know that we can get attention on the work at hand. We're ready to demonstrate to the Raiders that we can preserve that incredible game day experience, the tailgating. We can guarantee at least 8,000 surface parking spaces in that coliseum area and a new stadium and a development that we believe can create a revenue flow to finance the whole thing," Schaaf said.

Raiders could leave Oakland as soon as next season (http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Raiders-could-leave-Oakland-as-soon-as-next-season-6757101.php)

Raiders’ owner Mark Davis told The Chronicle Wednesday that his team doesn’t want to fill the void left by the departing Rams. “We have no interest in St. Louis,” said Davis.

After Tuesday’s NFL owners’ meeting in Houston decided the fate of Los Angeles, the NFL pledged to give the Raiders $100 million to build a new stadium, and the city of Oakland pledged $90 million for infrastructure improvement. That’s a far cry from the estimated cost of a new stadium, which could cost up to $1 billion.

The team would normally have to pay a $550 million relocation fee to move out of Oakland. But Raiders’ officials requested that fee be waived after losing out on the Los Angeles proposal. Sources say the league is open to that idea.

...sources said he could also be interested in San Diego once the Chargers decide if they want to join the Rams or not. He has had no interest in being a tenant in Santa Clara at the 49ers’ Levi’s Stadium.

NFL vote means Raiders could be playing in Texas as soon as next season (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/raiders-could-playing-texas-soon-040346098.html)

...the Raiders have already secured land in the Austin/San Antonio area for a potential stadium. With the Alamodome already in place, this strongly suggests that the Raiders could be playing in Texas as soon as next season.

Cole presents the land in Texas as "leverage" against the city of Oakland. But if a new stadium can't be built in the Bay Area, then Texas seems likely to be the next destination for Raider Nation.

Raiders lose in L.A. again, 20 years after the NFL blocked Al Davis' Inglewood stadium project (http://espn.go.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/14091/the-late-al-davis-wanted-to-build-on-rams-inglewood-site-but-couldnt-agree-with-nfl)

Because while Davis thought he had the votes and support to join the San Diego Chargers in a new home in neighboring Carson, the Chargers have the first option to join the Rams and, if Dean Spanos takes a pass, the Raiders could move in with the Rams in Inglewood.

At Hollywood Park.

On the same stretch of land the late Al Davis intended to build a stadium for the Raiders in 1994.

To his dying day in 2011, Al Davis insisted the Los Angeles market belonged to the Raiders. Silver and Black conspiracy theorists will have a field day with this one. Jan. 12, 2016 is the day the son paid for the father’s perceived sins ... the long-lasting feuds and court cases with then-NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle.

It’s time Raiders owner Mark Davis to make it happen in Oakland … or just sell already (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/thompson/2016/01/13/1816/)

Davis needs to go back to the NFL and get at least two more of those gift cards. And he needs to get the NFL to twist the arm of some of corporations they are in bed with to invest in the Raiders’ stadium endeavor.

I don’t know how he pulls it off, considering the NFL owners made it loud and clear where he ranks. Maybe he has to milk his dad’s respect with some of the long-monied power brokers like Jerry Jones.

Davis already has $500 million towards a stadium, including a loan from the NFL. If he can get more from the NFL, and end up with at least $800 million towards a stadium, plus a commitment from DirecTV or something, then he’s cooking with grease.

At that point, bringing on a second owner like Disney’s Bob Iger would put him in position to buy whatever he wants. And maybe, if he needs just $300 million instead of $600 million, he wouldn’t have to give up as much power.

But there are other options. Go beat the Silicon Valley bush for money. Better yet, hire someone who can aptly do that job.

Or work with the mayor to find a guarantor for a city bond against future tax revenue to cover the gap in funding. That way, the Raiders get the money and the city is covered and maybe comes away with a profit.

Or get creative about new revenue streams. Maybe Google wants to live stream Raiders games after Yahoo!’s success doing it? Maybe Live Nation wants exclusive concert rights to the new stadium? Maybe Lyft wants East Bay offices now that Uber is doing so.

If Jones wants keep Davis out of Texas, then it would be in his best interest to help him leverage funds for a stadium in Oakland.

CoryWinget81
01-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Screw Stan Kroenke, and his creepy mustache and awful toupee.

L.M.
01-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Screw Stan Kroenke, and his creepy mustache and awful toupee.

:laugh: How is his mustache creepy?

L.M.
01-13-2016, 10:30 PM
Exclusive Q&A: Stan Kroenke discusses his picture-perfect vision for the L.A. Rams (http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-kroenke-20160114-story.html)

Nathan Fenno ‏@nathanfenno 6h6 hours ago

Via @LATimesfarmer: Framework for Chargers to join Rams in Inglewood has been in place since last weekend, according to three sources.

daniel kaplan ‏@dkaplanSBJ Jan 12

The Rams cannot begin selling commercial rights 2 the Inglewood stadium until Feb 2017,or earlier if a second team joins the stadium project

Grandpa
01-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Exclusive Q&A: Stan Kroenke discusses his picture-perfect vision for the L.A. Rams (http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-kroenke-20160114-story.html)

Nathan Fenno ‏@nathanfenno 6h6 hours ago

Via @LATimesfarmer: Framework for Chargers to join Rams in Inglewood has been in place since last weekend, according to three sources.

daniel kaplan ‏@dkaplanSBJ Jan 12

The Rams cannot begin selling commercial rights 2 the Inglewood stadium until Feb 2017,or earlier if a second team joins the stadium project
Couple of interesting tidbits there .... thanks for the posting. Seems ol' Stan had the machinery fired up and rumbling two days before the votes were cast, huh? :thumb:

L.M.
01-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Couple of interesting tidbits there .... thanks for the posting. Seems ol' Stan had the machinery fired up and rumbling two days before the votes were cast, huh? :thumb:

Kroenke has been rumbling at the site since last February, moving earth around, breaking down existing structures, bringing in sewer pipe, etc. to prepare for construction. The photogallery in that article shows all that's been done so far, same pix shown to the League owners Tuesday while the project was pitched.

Dennis.1960
01-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Anyone else remember when Mile High Stadium was just that ... Mile High Stadium? instead of Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium?

I hear you...I hate the corporate sponsorship of every NFL stadium. But at least Pat Bowlen had the balls to make them call it,

"insert nameless corporate sponsor" AT MILE HIGH

Hurray for the best owner in the NFL :salute:

L.M.
01-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Local stadium optimism tempered by Inglewood
San Diego leaders upbeat, but Chargers focused mostly on L.A. option (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/13/faulconer-roberts-chargers-inglewood-spanos/)

key excerpts:

They said that they won’t consider increasing the $350 million public contribution they've offered and that any public vote would probably have to happen in November, not June.

Spanos and other Chargers officials met with league officials Wednesday morning in Houston, where the NFL meetings took place the day before, and participated in conference calls in the afternoon after Spanos flew home from Texas.

The Chargers would work with investment banker JP Morgan on financing for an Inglewood deal, according to league sources.

The Chargers have until January 2017 to opt for Inglewood. But that deadline could be extended to January 2018 if public financing for a new stadium is approved by San Diego voters this November or sometime earlier.

Goldsmith said a downtown stadium, which the Chargers have previously lobbied for, would take longer and face more hurdles than the $1.1 billion facility the city and county proposed in Mission Valley on the Qualcomm Stadium site.

In addition, NFL owners gave the Chargers and Raiders an extra $100 million each toward stadium construction in their home markets. That's in addition to the $200 million the league typically contributes to stadium projects.

An August proposal from the county and city, which would have needed cooperation from the Chargers and approval by a simple majority of city voters, included $350 million in public money — $200 million from the city and $150 million from the county.

The remainder would have been $200 million from the league, $362.5 million from the Chargers and $187.5 million from seat licenses.

The prospect of the Chargers relocating to Los Angeles was met with a less than enthusiastic response, according to a SurveyUSA poll L.A. adults conducted on Wednesday.

When given the options of San Diego or Inglewood for the Chargers, 65 percent chose San Diego and 31 percent chose Inglewood.

The poll also showed 47 percent support for the L.A. area having two NFL teams, compared to 44 percent for having only one team.

When asked about their willingness to buy season tickets, 13 percent said they would do so for the Rams, 10 percent would buy them for the Raiders and 6 percent for the Chargers.

And Spanos has the $550 M relocation money earmarked for L.A. so altogether he has enough funding for a new stadium in San Diego so long as the design is not as elaborate as his Carson project, and it's in Mission Valley and not downtown. The November vote also has to be in his favor to get the $350 million from the city and county -which IMO he will only get if he's cooperative and embraces San Diego as the right place for the team.

It seems very few people want the Chargers in L.A. and the fan support there would be even less than it has been in San Diego of late. They can't put a winning team on the field for a while yet, so no chance of getting bandwagoneers either.

Spanos could wait until the November vote to make up his mind and even then get another long extension for his LA decision. This is also designed to block the Raiders from going to Inglewood as much as possible, even though they would have much more fan support there and are a little closer (about as much as the Rams) to putting a winning team on the field. They also need the Inglewood option much more than the Chargers do because they aren't getting enough support in Oakland -less than $100 M from that city for a new stadium.

Daron Edwards San Diego, California
This should not even be a consideration for Dan Spanos. He has never negotiated in good faith with the city of San Diego at any point. This "9 proposals over 14 years" stuff is a lie. The only real proposal was made by the city, and the Chargers waked away from the table. The Chargers have, at best, floated a few trial balloons, then ran away as soon as their ideas met the slightest scrutiny.
For them to move while their home of 55 years has TWO stadium proposals on the table should be illegal. If they move, those of us in SD will stop supporting this team and will root for them to drown in lawsuits and failure for decades to come.
And LA doesn't even want this team!!

L.M.
01-14-2016, 10:46 AM
I hear you...I hate the corporate sponsorship of every NFL stadium. But at least Pat Bowlen had the balls to make them call it,

INDEED! After reading about Spanos, I am sooo grateful we have the Bowlens!

Grandpa
01-14-2016, 03:38 PM

Can't argue with that! Pat's ownership has been SUPERB, and Ellis is continuing the tradition. I was very happy to hear about the team being placed in the Pat Bowlen Trust. I like Pat and am a big fan of his handling of the team.

Socnorb11
01-14-2016, 07:30 PM
I don't feel sorry for the city of St Louis, I have no real knowledge of the politics, or could a deal have been done with the proposed 'waterfront stadium' in St Louis.

I merely expressed empathy with someone, for whom, the St Louis Rams meant as much to them as the Broncos do to people on here. As I mentioned, how would you explain to a young fan 'You don't have a team to support any more', the Rams are moving to Los Angeles. Mind you, what if the kid replies 'Thank God for that - get me a Broncos jersey dad'.

Yikes!

I've been to St. Louis several times on game day.

Being a Rams fan is nothing like being a Broncos fan. Broncos fans bleed orange & blue. Rams fans root for the team because they are regional, but the passion doesn't compare.

Also, that stadium in St. Louis is horrific. No character whatsoever.

baphamet
01-14-2016, 11:44 PM
INDEED! After reading about Spanos, I am sooo grateful we have the Bowlens!

yeah spanos is a straight up tool bag who got rolled the hell over, it's embarrassing.

L.M.
01-15-2016, 12:38 AM
yeah spanos is a straight up tool bag who got rolled the hell over, it's embarrassing.

While I'm glad our division remains intact, we're not quite out of the woods yet as far as the Chargers go, not with Spanos in charge who could eventually ruin that franchise. He's alienated people in San Diego being so hellbent on chasing fool's gold in L.A. He's not in the same business ballpark Kroenke is at all -who has nothing to fear if the Rams suck or the crowds are fickle because his sports complex is multi-function and will make a boatload of money no matter what happens. But after reading quite a lot on this situation, I have a bad feeling about the Chargers going to LA as they could end up a pathetic, second-rate, total laughing stock of a team there. Then they will be forced to relocate again, unable to return to SD with bridges burned there, and wind up as the Portland Puffins!

Do you read the SB Nation blogs? I visited Raiders' and Chargers' recently to get more perspectives on this issue and it seems that the best course for Spanos is to just sell the team to someone who will keep them in SD. See:

The Best Remaining Option For Dean Spanos (http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/1/13/10759042/the-best-remaining-option-for-dean-spanos)

baphamet
01-15-2016, 08:58 AM
While I'm glad our division remains intact, we're not quite out of the woods yet as far as the Chargers go, not with Spanos in charge who could eventually ruin that franchise. He's alienated people in San Diego being so hellbent on chasing fool's gold in L.A. He's not in the same business ballpark Kroenke is at all -who has nothing to fear if the Rams suck or the crowds are fickle because his sports complex is multi-function and will make a boatload of money no matter what happens. But after reading quite a lot on this situation, I have a bad feeling about the Chargers going to LA as they could end up a pathetic, second-rate, total laughing stock of a team there. Then they will be forced to relocate again, unable to return to SD with bridges burned there, and wind up as the Portland Puffins!

Do you read the SB Nation blogs? I visited Raiders' and Chargers' recently to get more perspectives on this issue and it seems that the best course for Spanos is to just sell the team to someone who will keep them in SD. See:

The Best Remaining Option For Dean Spanos (http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/1/13/10759042/the-best-remaining-option-for-dean-spanos)

if they move to LA they will be like the clippers but all they have to do is win and i'm sure they will win over some fans temporarily. fans in LA are fickle as hell

L.M.
01-15-2016, 10:05 AM
if they move to LA they will be like the clippers but all they have to do is win and i'm sure they will win over some fans temporarily. fans in LA are fickle as hell

True, and it would be best if they fared better than the Rams, but realistically, how far are they away from having another winning season? Time is not a luxury for surviving and making a profit there. Our division is very tough right now in which they just finished last, and now sit in the League basement (actually below even the Niners and Jags) with the 3rd pick in the draft. Is Mike McCoy the answer? If he had been Denver's coach finishing 4-12 in year 3, he would have been fired! But then, the standards set by Bowlen and upheld by Ellis & Elway are high. I thought they were in SD too -maybe even too high after Schottenheimer was fired? I don't see the logic in their choices.

L.M.
01-15-2016, 01:18 PM

As an aside, the origin of the Clippers set a precedent for a very crazy (and unlikely) idea proposed by a UT writer (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/14/just-win-baby-blue/) --that Davis and Spanos should just trade franchises, keeping their staffs and rosters with them, but just trading uni's and cities. Spanos has more resources to get a stadium deal done in Oakland than Davis, and he just seems to want out, and SD can leverage more funds to help Davis than the city of Oakland can.

BTW, the Clippers have been better than the Lakers the last few seasons and actually placed 1st in the Pacific twice!

baphamet
01-15-2016, 02:28 PM
As an aside, the origin of the Clippers set a precedent for a very crazy (and unlikely) idea proposed by a UT writer (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/14/just-win-baby-blue/) --that Davis and Spanos should just trade franchises, keeping their staffs and rosters with them, but just trading uni's and cities. Spanos has more resources to get a stadium deal done in Oakland than Davis, and he just seems to want out, and SD can leverage more funds to help Davis than the city of Oakland can.

BTW, the Clippers have been better than the Lakers the last few seasons and actually placed 1st in the Pacific twice!

well the clippers were once the San Diego clippers and moved to LA to become second fiddle to the Lakers, that was my point. it's not like moving to LA all of a sudden makes the chargers horrible every year like the clippers were for so long.

but yeah, i know the clips have been better and now a lot of the fans have jumped on the band wagon in LA and now the clippers have slightly better attendance than the Lakers do.

so like i said, all the chargers need to do is win and they will be fine. but if they don't put up a decent product right away and especially if the rams are considerably better, then they will be in trouble.

baphamet
01-15-2016, 02:52 PM
True, and it would be best if they fared better than the Rams, but realistically, how far are they away from having another winning season? Time is not a luxury for surviving and making a profit there. Our division is very tough right now in which they just finished last, and now sit in the League basement (actually below even the Niners and Jags) with the 3rd pick in the draft.

realistically i think they have a pretty good shot of bouncing back next year. they have the #3 pick in the draft and have decent cap space to work with.

they will get allen back who was playing at an elite level before he got injured, their defense was much improved in the second half of the season so that gives me hope even though they are losing weddle.

the chargers also brought back ken whisenhunt as their OC and i think thats going to help like it did when he was there before. but we will see, chargers GM tom telesco needs to have a really good off season for a bounce back to be a possibility.

the main thing is they need to get weapons back for rivers and somehow find a running game, i'm not overly concerned about the defense as long as they keep making strides and the offense gets going again with rivers who is one of the few people in that building i do have faith in right now.

Is Mike McCoy the answer? If he had been Denver's coach finishing 4-12 in year 3, he would have been fired! But then, the standards set by Bowlen and upheld by Ellis & Elway are high. I thought they were in SD too -maybe even too high after Schottenheimer was fired? I don't see the logic in their choices.

yeah that's the kicker, isn't it? i'm not sure mccoy is the answer and i did want him fired but they probably didn't want to go on a coaching search and try to relocate at the same time.

the chargers seem to always make the same mistakes. keeping coaches too long and firing the good ones when it's the GM that should have been fired.

it happened twice actually. we all know about the marty situation after going 14-2 and not being able to get along with the GM so they fired marty and kept their GM who eventually got fired himself.

it also happened in the 90's when they fired bobby ross because he couldn't get along with bobby bethard. then what happens? dude drafts the biggest bust in NFL history.....

i love my chargers but i have no faith in upper management and would love nothing more than if they sold the team to someone that wants to win and makes sound business decisions, rather than spanos who always ends up with egg on his face no matter what he seems to do.

i got it all figured out.....just move in with the rams, then sell your team to Disney and call it a day. then they could rename their team the LA vaders and just let the raiders move to SD and rename them the chargers, everyone lives happily ever after! :)

L.M.
02-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Both the Chargers and Raiders are staying put for the 2016 season. Neither franchise has worked out stadium deals and one or both could still uproot to L.A. or another city in the near future.