PDA

View Full Version : Are there any teams left in the NFL that don't use the shotgun formation?

IMissMarty
01-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Random question here. I am just wondering if there are any teams left in the NFL whose offense only operates under center? I remember when I started watching football in the early 90's, there were several teams that did not use the shotgun. The Chiefs, Chargers, Cowboys and 49ers are a few of the teams I can't think of that did not use the shotgun formation. Now though, from what I've seen, I think all teams use it if I'm not mistaken?

diesel51
01-28-2016, 07:02 AM
I think you're right. I don't get to watch a lot of games anymore, just a Bronco game here and there, but I can't imagine a team that doesn't employ the shotgun and/or pistol formation. From what I understand this is due to the evolution of this offensive formation in college; ie NFL teams are drafting QBs that from High School up have ran an offense where the shotgun formation is utilized, so in order to make their QBs transition to the game quicker, and therefore get their money's worth faster, NFL teams are using formations that make their newly acquired QBs more comfortable. Of course, this formation does allow the QB to survey the field better and make necessary adjustments at the line of scrimmage easier, but as we have seen in the past few seasons, it also tends to generally hinder the running game.

At least that is my 2 cents.

samparnell
01-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Shotgun is derived from the Single/Double Wing of Glenn Warner.

Bradshaw3001
01-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Shotgun is derived from the Single/Double Wing of Glenn Warner.

This is interesting.

ksubroncosfan
01-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Yes. Every team has shotgun in there playbook. You simply have to have it in the NFL for given situations.

Doogansquest
01-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Yes. Every team has shotgun in there playbook. You simply have to have it in the NFL for given situations.

Just as every team has Prevent defense packages in their playbook, though fans often mistake what it's used for, or assume any defense that gives up yards is Prevent.

Sorry...had to do it. :)

jakemillar
01-28-2016, 01:16 PM
The last team to not use a single offensive snap from shotgun were the 2001 Oakland Raiders, coached by Jon Gruden. Another holdout to the shotgun was the Holmgren coached Seahawks. A huge staple of the WC offense was timing, and the timing in a lot of cases was based on the drop (in steps) by the QB from under center. The WC offense purists seem to have always agreed with this and had been stubborn to changing away from it.

I will remain curious to see what offense Gruden would employ in todays NFL if he ever gets back into coaching. I could not imagine a team using no shotgun in the NFL nowadays.

jakemillar
01-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Another thing of note is how some coaches opted to carry West Coast offense principles to a shotgun offense. A weird example I noticed was Green Bay's Mike McCarthy. A huge chunk of his offense is run from the gun, but the concepts as far as receiver routes and pass protection are nearly identical.

Looking further into it, I was watching a replay of the Broncos @ Chiefs Wild Card game at Arrowhead in 1997, and I saw identical formations, pass pro sets and receiver routes, series per series, other than the fact that the offense was run from under center, rather than the shotgun. Turns out, the Chiefs OC was Paul Hackett, a West Coast offense purist if you will. Under Paul Hackett's lineage was Mike McCarthy, then an offensive assistant in KC.

Just food for thought, I found it very interesting that although how much the game has changed, successful concepts remain.

IMissMarty
01-28-2016, 07:41 PM
The last team to not use a single offensive snap from shotgun were the 2001 Oakland Raiders, coached by Jon Gruden. Another holdout to the shotgun was the Holmgren coached Seahawks. A huge staple of the WC offense was timing, and the timing in a lot of cases was based on the drop (in steps) by the QB from under center. The WC offense purists seem to have always agreed with this and had been stubborn to changing away from it.

I will remain curious to see what offense Gruden would employ in todays NFL if he ever gets back into coaching. I could not imagine a team using no shotgun in the NFL nowadays.

Great info! But are you sure about this? I am almost positive that the 2002 Raiders team that went to the Super Bowl never used the shotgun either.