PDA

View Full Version : There's no reason to be mad at Brock, coming from someone who didn't like him much

UnitedInOrange
03-09-2016, 09:07 PM
It's easy when you're a Broncos fan to think the obvious best option for Brock is to lead your team. I don't think most QBs in his shoes would pick Denver either. Here's the reality:

Environment. The QB expectations in Denver are ABSURD. Period. Post Elway, fans have ripped into every QB, including one of the all-time greats in Manning. Much more likely than not, Brock would just be another clay pigeon. Unless you are a surefire HOF playing at Pro Bowl levels, this isn't a healthy environment for you. By the way, they benched you for playing a bad half.

Pay. We seem to be very understanding about Malik or Danny leaving for better pay, but treat Brock differently. It's not just a little difference. It's a $10M+ difference over the contract, and much of it in guaranteed money. It's not just the monetary impact; it shows how much BIll O'Brien believes you're "the guy". On the other hand, Elway publically doesn't think you're worth a big contract.

System. Gary Kubiak's offense is very conservative and limiting for most QBs. He has essentially tried to import his Houston system and it didn't do any favors for any of the many QBs who previously ran it (RBs on the other hand...).

Legacy. Brock could be a great player yet he'll never be as revered in Denver as Elway, or be remembered like Peyton. Houston is a QB away from contention and he could very well be the star QB they've never had. He could be B.M.O.C. there in a way he could never be here. He already has a ring and too many pieces are changing in Denver to be assured that we'll even top the Chiefs next year.

So I don't understand any ire for him. He probably made the more sensible choice for most people in his shoes.

#24 Next Champ
03-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Plus we really pulled a jacked move by benching him because Schofield was a joke, rbs were fumbling, and wrs couldn't catch leading to ints

That was really jacked and I knew right there Brock was gone

Don't blame him at all

Chrissy
03-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Excellent post.. I do want to ad that I got a lot of flack for saying the Peyton's offense should have been the primary offense w/ Kubiaks offense an extension.. its an offense that could have served Denver for many years and the QB selection would not be so limited..

Chrissy
03-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Plus we really pulled a jacked move by benching him because Schofield was a joke, rbs were fumbling, and wrs couldn't catch leading to ints

Don't blame him at all

lol Football is a big boy sport .. if they left Os in there is no #1 seed that would have been jacked..

Broncoyearound
03-09-2016, 09:18 PM
It's easy when you're a Broncos fan to think the obvious best option for Brock is to lead your team. I don't think most QBs in his shoes would pick Denver either. Here's the reality:

Environment. The QB expectations in Denver are ABSURD. Period. Post Elway, fans have ripped into every QB, including one of the all-time greats in Manning. Much more likely than not, Brock would just be another clay pigeon. Unless you are a surefire HOF playing at Pro Bowl levels, this isn't a healthy environment for you. By the way, they benched you for playing a bad half.

Pay. We seem to be very understanding about Malik or Danny leaving for better pay, but treat Brock differently. It's not just a little difference. It's a $10M+ difference over the contract, and much of it in guaranteed money. It's not just the monetary impact; it shows how much BIll O'Brien believes you're "the guy". On the other hand, Elway publically doesn't think you're worth a big contract.

System. Gary Kubiak's offense is very conservative and limiting for most QBs. He has essentially tried to import his Houston system and it didn't do any favors for any of the many QBs who previously ran it (RBs on the other hand...).

Legacy. Brock could be a great player yet he'll never be as revered in Denver as Elway, or be remembered like Peyton. Houston is a QB away from contention and he could very well be the star QB they've never had. He could be B.M.O.C. there in a way he could never be here. He already has a ring and too many pieces are changing in Denver to be assured that we'll even top the Chiefs next year.

So I don't understand any ire for him. He probably made the more sensible choice for most people in his shoes.

I would say if Brock doesn't want to be great I wouldn't want him here anyway. It's a buisness and the coach had to make a judgement call. Brock needs to swallow his pride and accept the fact that the coaches felt Manning was their best option going forward.

A pro true professional was here and when he got benched he wanted to play but he went about things thr right way and wasn't a distraction or bitter. Brock had his ego hurt a bit but Manning retired and he was given a more then generous offer. Hey he didn't accept it so he has to live with it but smart money said stay here where u know the offense players and just got a super bowl over going for an unknown in Houston.

We as fans have a right to feel how we want. We give all qbs a shot but when you're playing bad you're playing bad. I doubt a lot of us Bronco fans are thinking every qb we get will be Elway let's face it he's a special type of player but we would like a franchise QB that can win games for us heck who doesnt. However if you're the QB of the broncos of course we want a winner out there.

Brock is a Texan so as of today I really got no ties to him I'm ready to embrace the next qb who comes here and will give him a fair shake until he gives me a reason not to. I'm sure most of the fans are like that here if not well that's how I feel about things. Brock wanted to go to Houston well see ya I'm a bronco let's get people in here that want to qb for us.

#24 Next Champ
03-09-2016, 09:19 PM
lol Football is a big boy sport .. if they left Os in there is no #1 seed that would have been jacked..

Nobody knows that. It's not a fact. Peyon did light the world on fire...he barely did jack the team just stopped being pathetic

#24 Next Champ
03-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Nobody knows that. It's not a fact. Peyon did light the world on fire...he barely did jack the team just stopped being pathetic

Peyton *didn't.

Cracks me up how everyone acts like he saved the day

Chrissy
03-09-2016, 09:26 PM

Hating on Peyton isn't bringing Os back..lol Os will do just fine in Texas, but its a different offense. Oz isn't a Kubiak offense guy.. he was already quoted as saying he wasn't fond of it.. people before was saying that it was a source that said Ed Werber that well now I believe tnat there is truth to it..

Chrissy
03-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Peyton *didn't.

Cracks me up how everyone acts like he saved the day

Kubiak was 2-2 in the playoffs as a HC before Peyton was his QB.. I would say he did a lot more then save the day there my friend.. And Kubiak acknowledged just that on Monday..keep up..

Jim Mora
03-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Oz was good for you guys.

ksubroncosfan
03-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Just thought I'd point out that the Rams were "a qb away from contention" and we're convinced that they had that when they signed nick foles. I won't be surprised if Brock turns out like that, but I also won't be surprised if he turns out to be special.

Chrissy
03-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Oz was good for you guys.

To bad he didn't go to the Colts cause Luck is bad for you guys...:D

UnitedInOrange
03-09-2016, 09:33 PM
I would say if Brock doesn't want to be great I wouldn't want him here anyway.

He does want to be great, but he's more likely to find greatness in Houston. He can take that rather average team to the next level and be the best QB that city's ever had. With a coach and GM that fully believe in him. That's a special opportunity.

Fans here will mostly measure how fall short of Elway or 2013 Manning Brock falls year after year.

Jason Sitoke
03-09-2016, 09:39 PM

Don't blame him at all

Yeah, we jacked up everything all the way to the Super Bowl. This stuff is hilarious. The guy was not Johnny Unitas while Manning was out. But the narrative does get better with time.

Texans bet was richer than Elways. The way it goes. Move on

Kon
03-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Os' could have absolutely made enough mistakes in the playoffs to lose us the Superbowl, so I don't question that move even slightly. As far as his career yes, it is the safer and more conservative option. Got paid a little better too, but it's a 4 year contract so if he does actually do well he will also probably lose all that extra money in the final year he's locked up. As a business decision I don't blame him at all.

As a Bronco's fan, I'll blame him all day and night. As a football enthusiast I will do the same, to me only Superbowls matter not a few extra M. Maybe there's a reason Tom Brady goes to the Superbowl almost every other year? #thatRestructure

And most importantly - as a man - I can blame him as well for acting like a little girl. "Had his feelings hurt" because he was benched for a now healthy Peyton Manning ? Have a little respect and suck it up. He still got his ring, and he'd probably think it wasn't his fault if/when he made several mistakes under pressure and lost us a Superbowl.

QB expectations are high everywhere, not just in Denver. You could argue the expectation is at an all time low, considering we just won with very little QB output. Peyton has been here a few years, but the expectation was towards him because of his reputation, he was not drafted by Denver. It's not like he's filling the shoes of someone playing here for 10+ years. Plenty of us remember Tebow. And Kyle Orton. And every other QB we've really ever had other than Elway. It's the QB position that gets the pressure, not simply the team overstressing it. And well, I'd assume Houston still wants him to play that. Maybe they convert him to long-snapper so he doesn't fold under the pressure of the position? :coffee:

As far as Legacy, he may never be Elway, but he could have made a name for himself just fine. He's still young and he hasn't taken barely any of the NFL beating of a player at his age. If he was concerned about legacy, ala Tom Brady, it's better to take a slight paycut and stay on a stronger team trying for Championships.

We can't top the Chiefs now because we lost a couple of defensive contributers? Please. Are you even a Broncos fan? We're still the Superbowl champs until proven otherwise, and still have massive potential with our current roster.

As far as the system, that can be taken either way. Over the last 2 years we've passed the ball 1213 times compared to 1104 for the Texans. How exactly is that more limiting for the QB? Because it forces them to do more, or what exactly? Just because Kubiak likes to run the ball doesn't mean it is limiting for the QB, generally it opens more opportunities down the field.

So what you are left with is a couple of million dollars to gain and a point to prove that we can be hurt by him leaving. Or that his feelings were hurt over the playoffs or whatever. If he doesn't want to be in Denver for that reason, good riddance. I'd rather he show his character flaws now than later. Hope he enjoys his couple of extra mil in Houston.

Will enjoy watching our defense dumpster him at home next season. :goz:

Jim Mora
03-09-2016, 09:46 PM
And most importantly - as a man - I can blame him as well for acting like a little girl. "Had his feelings hurt" because he was benched for a now healthy Peyton Manning ? Have a little respect and suck it up. He still got his ring, and he'd probably think it wasn't his fault if/when he made several mistakes under pressure and lost us a Superbowl.

That's a whole lot of assuming going on there.

Broncos-R-Great
03-09-2016, 09:47 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSV-aauSszCJ7QlLpZQT-Y99_B8ww0165xz_qizss0oSQhl1p0fwQ

Jim Mora
03-09-2016, 09:48 PM
To bad he didn't go to the Colts cause Luck is bad for you guys...:D

Luck has been good for us IMO.

Atwnbroncfan
Who is mad at Brock? I'm not, boy got his $$$. He sure wasn't gonna get that here.

Kon
That's a whole lot of assuming going on there.

Not really. Could have omitted it and the point is the same.

UnitedInOrange
03-09-2016, 09:54 PM
We can't top the Chiefs now because we lost a couple of defensive contributers? Please. Are you even a Broncos fan?

Questioning my fandom is uncalled for. It's perfectly fine to point out that we were only 1 game ahead of the Chiefs in 2015 and we will most likely field a weaker team in 2016 than in 2015, which may play into the mind of a QB comparing which division allows a more consistent road to the playoffs. Houston made the playoffs at 9-7.

So what you are left with is a couple of million dollars to gain and a point to prove that we can be hurt by him leaving. Or that his feelings were hurt over the playoffs or whatever. If he doesn't want to be in Denver for that reason, good riddance. I'd rather he show his character flaws now than later. Hope he enjoys his couple of extra mil in Houston.

This is all rampant speculation that he has "character flaws"...seriously? It completely ignores all the logical reasons (the intent of my post) that most objective QBs in his shoes would make the same choice. But if painting him as a deeply troubled person helps you get over his departure, then whatever works for you.

Atwnbroncfan
03-09-2016, 09:55 PM
Questioning my fandom is uncalled for. It's perfectly fine to point out that we were only 1 game ahead of the Chiefs in 2015 and we will most likely be a weaker team in 2016, which may play into the mind of a QB comparing which division allows a more consistent road to the playoffs. Houston made the playoffs at 9-7.

This is all rampant speculation that he has "character flaws"...seriously? It completely ignores all the logical reasons (the intent of my post) that most objective QBs in his shoes would make the same choice. But if painting him as a deeply troubled person helps you get over his departure, then whatever works for you.

Will enjoy watching our defense dumpster him at home next season. :goz:

You forget the Chiefs are only good when they can feast on a horrible schedule.

UnitedInOrange
03-09-2016, 09:58 PM
You miss the point. They were still far better than every team in the AFC South.

trc1962
03-09-2016, 10:02 PM
I am actually okay with Brock's departure. As a person from eastern Washington I know Brock was a big fish in a little pond in high school and played one season in college and I know Kubiak and Elway pegged his salary right and fair. I think we move on just fine and Elway will plug the hole while Siemien matures a bit. Texas may live to regret the money they just shelled out - it was way too much. Players around the NFL are scratching their heads with what he was given.

Kon
03-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Questioning my fandom is uncalled for. It's perfectly fine to point out that we were only 1 game ahead of the Chiefs in 2015 and we will most likely field a weaker team in 2016 than in 2015, which may play into the mind of a QB comparing which division allows a more consistent road to the playoffs. Houston made the playoffs at 9-7. Perhaps you are right about the fandom, but it's a rhetorical question. However I do not think we will necessarily field a weaker team, lots of time for growth to occur both on our roster and for our players. I don't necessarily think KC will have the same season either though.

Yes, he has some character flaws that I don't respect. You outlined many of them, but that is merely my opinion. I stated that already it was the smarter business decision. However many of your points involve being conservative and not expecting to be any bit of a star, but he seems to enjoy that star money. You may not consider that a character flaw, I do. Not a big one and not super relevant to football - only time will tell. I think there's a lot that can be deciphered from the entirety of the way he's handled this whole situation.

I don't need to get over his departure, I didn't ever want him to stay at the original 15m a year price. I just think it's sad how it turned into a "they hurt my feelings that's why I'm leaving" sort of affair. It's unprofessional to say the least. If you gotta leave for money, don't try and stab the team in the back on the way out like you're proving something. Be grateful you got a ring riding the bench, as well as the safest payday in history.

DirtDiver
03-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Oz isn't gone because he was benched in favor of a first ballot HoF QB. That's just a nudge in that direction. He's gone because the Texans offered more money than the Broncos did. 72 million v 45 million, hmmm, seems like an easy choice to me. I hope it works out for him but I don't believe it will. I'm not mad because he left though. I'd of done the exact same thing.

JJBroncoFan
03-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Oz isn't gone because he was benched in favor of a first ballot HoF QB. That's just a nudge in that direction. He's gone because the Texans offered more money than the Broncos did. 72 million v 45 million, hmmm, seems like an easy choice to me. I hope it works out for him but I don't believe it will. I'm not mad because he left though. I'd of done the exact same thing.

Our last offer was reportedly 16/year with 30 guaranteed for whatever that's worth

GiddyupGetEm
03-10-2016, 07:55 AM
For fans who are interested in what an NFL locker room is like, I recommend you watch "The Real Rob Report" on Youtube. It is made by former Seahawk (now on NFL Network) Mike Robinson. It is raw footage of players interviewing Seahawk players.

One of the most active participants in the videos is OL John Moffett. Moffett later signed with the Broncos and did a segment in the Broncos locker room. He spent a lot of time talking with Brock. When I first saw this video years ago, I immediately got the impression Brock would chase the money whenever the time came. You might think he is joking, but Brock sure seems interested in money.

Watch the video starting at 4:16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7967fNIwG8U

TheManningMelon
03-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Any idea where in the vid Brock talks about money? I don't want to sit through 12 minutes to find out.

Kon
03-10-2016, 08:08 AM
Lol I been bashing Brock probably more than anyone here - but that interview was just some joking around. Although no one else refused an interview saying "$100 min". Funny vid though all around - lol @ 50k hits for Decker's nipples. XD

Bates
03-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Enough with the Brock threads in this section. How many times do the mods have to move Brock related threads before people get the idea?

4th Amigo
03-10-2016, 08:13 AM
I know we are all pissed at Brock right now, myself included....but I think to call this "revealing" about Brock being a "money chaser" or whatever, is stretching a bit. He is just speaking the truth....more money=change in quality of life (when used wisely).

That being said....dude can go pound sand, I hope he enjoys his money and fails miserably as a QB. Maybe I will feel different later, when i'm not so so angry....

Freyaka
03-10-2016, 08:33 AM
For fans who are interested in what an NFL locker room is like, I recommend you watch "The Real Rob Report" on Youtube. It is made by former Seahawk (now on NFL Network) Mike Robinson. It is raw footage of players interviewing Seahawk players.

One of the most active participants in the videos is OL John Moffett. Moffett later signed with the Broncos and did a segment in the Broncos locker room. He spent a lot of time talking with Brock. When I first saw this video years ago, I immediately got the impression Brock would chase the money whenever the time came. You might think he is joking, but Brock sure seems interested in money.

Watch the video starting at 4:16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7967fNIwG8U

Brock's not a Bronco anymore, can we move on and stop talking about him?

orangnbluxpress
03-10-2016, 08:43 AM
I thought it was interesting! :) Even though I do not think he is a bad person for it.

Hadez
03-10-2016, 10:16 AM
If you want to talk about a Hou player do not post in the Bronco Gen forums please

Bronco51
03-10-2016, 10:33 AM
I find it funny how people wanted to praise him for how he used his anger of the benching as a signal of what a competitor he is, then, when all the conditions are right for him to take over and prove everybody wrong and win the Super Bowl on his own terms, he bolts for the money, and they don't fault him for that.

I don't care that he took the cash, but don't tell me he was this uber competitive guy that knew he could win it here last season and got this raw deal. To me, if that was the case, he would do it this year here in Denver. Elway would have definitely paid him then...even overpaid.

BroncosIsWin
03-10-2016, 10:43 PM

The fact is Brock simply didn't play well enough to keep Manning off the field. I don't think he did a horrible job, but I don't think he was that spectacular either. If he had played lights out, he would of been a Bronco still.