PDA

View Full Version : Is this not once again circumventing NFL rules?

diesel51
03-10-2016, 07:54 PM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25511457/tom-bradys-new-contract-protects-him-from-deflategate-suspensions

This reinforces in my mind even more Brady cheated. What a bunch of crock.

PAINTERDAVE
04-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Once one of the most-promising young receivers in the NFL, it now looks like Percy Harvin will announce his retirement at the incredibly young age of 27.

According to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, Harvin informed those close to him as well as members of the Buffalo Bills of his intention to call it a career.

Harvin, a first-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings back in 2009, jumped on to the NFL scene with a Pro Bowl performance as a rookie. That season saw him put up over 2,000 all-purpose yards, including nearly 800 on 60 receptions.

After putting up nearly 2,300 total yards with Minnesota in the next two seasons, injuries caught up to Harvin big time.

A combination of migraines and other bumps and bruises led to him missing seven games the following season.

After a bunch of spats with the Vikings’ front office, Harvin was dealt to the Seattle Seahawks. He suited up for only one regular season game with Seattle the following season, eventually being shipped to the New York Jets five games into the 2014 campaign.

Attempting to work through both his personality issues off the field and injury on the field, Harvin signed with the Buffalo Bills prior to last season. Unfortunately, he was only able to play five games before injuries caught up with him once again.

It was reported earlier in the spring that Harvin was leaning towards playing in 2016.

Instead, it now appears that he’s simply going to call it a career. A sad ending to what was at one point a promising future in the league.

58Miller
05-04-2016, 01:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Chor3yvUoAAtkEA.jpg:large

FL BRONCO
05-10-2016, 07:25 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000660777/article/peyton-manning-visits-dolphins-to-tutor-ryan-tannehill

Interesting. Very nice on PFM's part.

FL BRONCO
05-10-2016, 08:46 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/10/recovered-from-four-month-concussion-tyler-varga-is-back-with-the-colts/

Dennis.1960
05-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Just wow...any brain related injury that requires 4 months recovery time is serious enough to consider leaving football before your eggs become permanently scrambled ;) Unfortunately looks like this kids hero is Wes Welker.

FL BRONCO
05-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Just wow...any brain related injury that requires 4 months recovery time is serious enough to consider leaving football before your eggs become permanently scrambled ;) Unfortunately looks like this kids hero is Wes Welker.

You didn't read article, he refused to take medication (Amantadine) that was perscribed by team doctor so they immediately put him on IR which is why it "took 4 months". He talked to other doctors and according to him they said don't take it.

There is research supporting both sides of the arguement. There is research supporting the fact it helps with Concussions, there is also a bunch of research that lists some pretty unsavory side effects. I don't blame him, I don't think I would take it unless I felt it absolutely necessary after reading up on it a bit.

It will be interesting to see what the colts do with their ufa pick up this year now that he is back

Dennis.1960
05-10-2016, 03:06 PM
You didn't read article, he refused to take medication (Amantadine) that was perscribed by team doctor so they immediately put him on IR which is why it "took 4 months". He talked to other doctors and according to him they said don't take it.

Ummm...I did read the article...it took 4 months because the meds were not recommended. My point stands, if your head injury takes 4 months recovery time you might be wise to rethink your occupation ;)

bronx_2003
05-11-2016, 09:09 AM
At the end of the day every person makes their own choices, if we wants to continue playing football then good on him.

broncoslover115
05-12-2016, 10:11 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000660777/article/peyton-manning-visits-dolphins-to-tutor-ryan-tannehill

Interesting. Very nice on PFM's part.

I think it's a great idea. He knows Gase's system and anything one can do to help teams in the AFC East provide more competition to beat the Patriots is a good thing.

FL BRONCO
05-12-2016, 11:56 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000662193/article/gase-says-manningtannehill-meeting-was-overblown

Apparently it was made out to be a little more than it was, they met when they both happened to be going for lunch at the same time and talked over lunch.

Rastic
05-12-2016, 12:26 PM
I'm surprised and not so surprised. He was carted off the field after being hit during a punt return.

http://i.imgur.com/m9iuAW1.gif

It sounds as if though he expected to be cleared to return to the roster it never happened.

He's fortunate. After such a hit to be able to walk away with only some ligament damage.

Best wishes to him.

Freyaka
05-12-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm surprised and not so surprised. He was carted off the field after being hit during a punt return.

http://i.imgur.com/m9iuAW1.gif

It sounds as if though he expected to be cleared to return to the roster it never happened.

He's fortunate. After such a hit to be able to walk away with only some ligament damage.

Best wishes to him.

Kinda like that hit to Knox a few years back where he was literally folded backwards in half... Maybe you might be able to return someday, but you got lucky and can still walk...Call it a career.

FL BRONCO
05-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Well atleast he got a ring first. He worked hard to get where he got from being an UDFA. Prayers for him, his family and his future. Good Luck Ricardo

Starbroncs
05-12-2016, 04:12 PM

There is research supporting both sides of the arguement. There is research supporting the fact it helps with Concussions, there is also a bunch of research that lists some pretty unsavory side effects. I don't blame him, I don't think I would take it unless I felt it absolutely necessary after reading up on it a bit.

It will be interesting to see what the colts do with their ufa pick up this year now that he is back

I gotta support his decision. I have always been against taking any kind of drugs, they might erase a symptom or help with something specific but they are not good for your body, also its the drug companies that make doctors try to push so many medications onto patients. Doctors dont do anything but give people drugs anymore.

Guess I shouldnt rant, its a topic for another discussion.

CoryWinget81
05-13-2016, 08:24 AM
"You never want to see a guy injured. Those are really scary injuries – the head injuries. I felt terrible that he was injured like that.”

-Jeff Heath

When people get mad that they are legislating contact out of football, they should look at this as an example of why they're trying to get these hits out of the game.

Dennis.1960
05-13-2016, 09:14 AM
He really got drilled and is lucky his eggs weren't seriously scrambled. He's got a ring and enough cash from his career to have a comfortable life...smart move. Living in Seahawk land I can report he's a huge fan favorite and will be missed by the locals ;)

Strip Sacked
05-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Sources are telling me they heard Peyton asks for 'light cheese' on his chicken Parms.. We need to get this to TMZ stat!

broncoslover115
05-14-2016, 03:50 AM
Best of luck to him. I remember seeing that hit live and it was awful. He was an exciting player to watch. And I am glad he didn't get seriously injured. Sounds like he has a plan to help kids and people. :salute:

bronx_2003
05-15-2016, 10:00 AM
"You never want to see a guy injured. Those are really scary injuries – the head injuries. I felt terrible that he was injured like that.”

-Jeff Heath

When people get mad that they are legislating contact out of football, they should look at this as an example of why they're trying to get these hits out of the game.

There has to be a balance. While you don't want to see serious injuries if they take contact out of the game then people will stop watching. Football needs to remain football.

I'm not a big Rugby fan but its popular over here and some of the collisions and injuries are horrible to see but there is never a discussion about changing rules or about the safety because people just see it as a tough sport and love the big hits and contact and accept that injuries and potentially career ending injuries are just part of the game. Not everything can be watered down imo.

FL BRONCO
05-15-2016, 07:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000662705/article/bears-trying-out-malik-jacksons-identical-twin-brother

Interesting move on Fox's part. Good luck to him

Peanut
05-15-2016, 09:32 PM
That is interesting. He didn't last long with the Vikings, but who knows? Different team, different system.

This one has me curious. I think I'll be following the story.

Houshmazode
05-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Never knew he had a twin brother. Guess Fox is desperate for some magic.

dolphinsneu
05-15-2016, 10:54 PM
Maybe he can teach Tannehill how to make quarterbacks do stupid things against the Dolphins, like helicopter diving lol.

FL BRONCO
05-16-2016, 02:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15564183/buffalo-bills-get-bad-news-shaq-lawson-sammy-watkins

Oouch, not a great start for Buffalo.

Assassin27
05-16-2016, 02:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15564183/buffalo-bills-get-bad-news-shaq-lawson-sammy-watkins

Oouch, not a great start for Buffalo.

Oouch is right!!!!

Rastic
05-26-2016, 06:04 AM
Vaughn McClure
ESPN Staff Writer

Atlanta Falcons special-teams coordinator Keith Armstrong understands the reality: The NFL could eventually eliminate kickoffs altogether.

The league took another step to limit kickoffs and thus returns -- considered one of the most dangerous plays in the game -- by approving a proposal to move a touchback to the 25-yard line rather than the 20, a change that will be re-evaluated after the 2016 season. On the surface, it would appear to discourage the receiving team from returning, considering the possibility of not gaining 25 yards when a ball sails deep into the end zone.

"It could be [eliminated]," Armstrong said of kickoffs. "I think they’ll find an alternative. There have been some suggestions, obviously, passed around. So the face of it could change. I think there will still be a kickoff down. It may not be the kickoff that you know today, but they’ll still be a kickoff down."

Does the possibility of squeezing out that phase of special teams bother Armstrong?

"No," he said. "I understand the reasoning behind it, No. 1. And No. 2, I’m confident in my own coaching abilities. It doesn’t bother me at all."

So what does Devin Hester, the most accomplished return man in NFL history, think about the rule and the future of kickoffs?

"It’s like taking away a job from people," said Hester, who has five kickoff returns for touchdowns in his career and also returned the opening kick of Super Bowl XLI for a 92-yard touchdown.

Hester, who is currently rehabbing from toe surgery, said he’s never suffered an injury as a result of getting hit on a kickoff return.

"I got a concussion making a block at receiver," Hester said. "But I never got hurt taking hits back on kickoffs."

The NFL previously moved kickoffs up from the 30-yard line to the 35 in 2011. The NFL's touchback percentage has gone from 16.4 percent in 2010 to 56 percent last season.

Then the touchback rule changed this offseason on a one-year experimental basis, although some believe it also could encourage high, shorter kickoffs to keep teams from starting at the 25, provided that kickoff team believes in its coverage unit and thinks the return man isn’t capable of gaining substantial yardage.

"It depends on who you’re going against and how well your unit is playing," Armstrong said.

Falcons kicker Matt Bryant offered his take on whether the new rule will encourage the "mortar kicks" or more touchbacks.

"There are a bunch of factors which each team, so it’s hard to say," Bryant said. "It will depend on each coach’s philosophy."

Full Article (http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/20813/falcons-special-teams-coach-kickoffs-could-be-eliminated)

One step closer to the National Flag Football League. :doh: :brick:

dolphinsneu
05-29-2016, 10:09 PM
I do think of the economy value of the NFL, too. Special teams players and kickers need jobs, too.

Houshmazode
06-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Since O.J.: Made in America Part 1 aired, I have been engaging in some difficult weekend conversation.

Real talk about the criminal justice system, domestic violence and America’s troubling track record policing black communities. So the text I got from a friend saying, “Damn, he was a hell of a running back,” offered a welcome momentary reprieve from the other heavier topics.
O.J. Simpson: Made in America

The ghosting of O.J. Simpson
O.J.’s 1973 season is best of any running back — ever

I wasn’t alive when Simpson was still playing, so I had to find some old footage. And yes, it’s true, he was a hell of a running back. Despite his imposing frame, he was not a power runner. He was an explosive opportunistic rusher. On the field in the 1960s and ’70s, Simpson gracefully juked, dodged, and eluded linebackers as instinctively as he evaded his social responsibility to the Civil Rights Movement. He would slither through a gap in the defense and use his gifts to leave defenders and teammates behind, not unlike the way he navigated America’s political and social minefields, leaving behind his identity, people and eventually, his dignity.

In 1973, Simpson had arguably the best season for a running back in NFL history. Simpson, the league MVP, surpassed Cleveland Browns running back Jim Brown’s single-season rushing record of 1,863 yards. Not only did Simpson pass Brown, but he was the first back to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a season. Behind his offensive line, wittily nicknamed “The Electric Company” because they turned on “The Juice,” Simpson ran for 2,003 yards.

In the 42 seasons since Simpson’s record-breaking campaign, only six other running backs have bested his mark and joined him in the 2,000-yard club. Eric Dickerson of the Los Angeles Rams was the next back to net more than 2,000 yards in a season, gaining 2,105. Dickerson and his hip ’80s Jheri curl broke the record in 1984. Between ’84 and now, five other running backs have broken the 2,000-yard threshold, filling the space between Dickerson and Simpson.

Lost in the otherworldly statistics and talents of the names above is that only one man ran for 2,000 yards before 1978. In 1978, the NFL went from a 14-game regular season to the 16-game season, we now know. Simpson’s 2,003 yards in 14 games averages to 143.1 yards a game, the highest single-season per game average in NFL history. Brown is a distant second at 133.1 yards a game.

If we use per-game averages multiplied by a 14-game season, the NFL only has one 2,000-yard rusher in its long history: Orenthal James Simpson. If Simpson’s 143.1 average was applied to a 16-game season, he would easily be the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. He would gain 2,290 yards, 160 yards more than Brown’s 16-game projection of 2,130 yards.

We cannot go back and correct the slew of awful things for which Simpson is responsible. And he should be remembered more for his off-field transgressions than his on-field brilliance. But make no mistake, the O.J. Simpson in 1973 is the best running back the NFL has ever seen.

Domonique Foxworth is a writer at The Undefeated. He is a recovering pro athlete and superficial intellectual.

Had no idea what Foxworth was up to, but apparently he's a pretty good writer.

http://theundefeated.com/features/o-j-s-1973-season-is-best-of-any-running-back-ever/

broncoslover115
06-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Had no idea what Foxworth was up to, but apparently he's a pretty good writer.

http://theundefeated.com/features/o-j-s-1973-season-is-best-of-any-running-back-ever/

Part 1 was a great show. Put a lot of things in perspective that I didn't know. It talked about the divide between Simpson and the rest of the black community. He wanted to stay away from the black politics and not be seen as a black man and the other men in the black community wanted him to participate in the civil rights movement with them.

They spoke about how Simpson was able to appeal to the white community and be accepted by them and how he was able to appear acceptable and make his money off of the Hertz and other products. He became one of the first to receive all those endorsements. It was really good, as they set it against the backdrop of the racial politics occurring at the time. Very well done. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Charlie Brown
06-15-2016, 04:44 PM
Highly disagree with the writer. Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Walter Payton are the three best.

FL BRONCO
06-25-2016, 02:33 PM
http://www.fox9.com/news/165513244-story

While I have no idea what is and isn't true of the story, I pulled the following quote from the article

When he pulled out his gun, Jackson told police his wife responded with a dig at his football career, saying “You better be accurate because you ain’t accurate on the field.”

Rastic
06-25-2016, 05:02 PM
http://www.fox9.com/news/165513244-story

While I have no idea what is and isn't true of the story, I pulled the following quote from the article

When he pulled out his gun, Jackson told police his wife responded with a dig at his football career, saying “You better be accurate because you ain’t accurate on the field.”

Ouch. That hurts.

Happy wife, happy life... or maybe in this case, no happy wife, 10 to life...

EddieMac
06-25-2016, 08:12 PM
If she said that.... Well played.... And dumb to egg someone one when starring down a barrel of a gun.. :eek:

FL BRONCO
06-26-2016, 09:11 AM
If she said that.... Well played.... And dumb to egg someone one when starring down a barrel of a gun.. :eek:

Agreed, but maybe she counted on him missing when it was clutch

Rastic
07-14-2016, 09:25 AM
An absolutely hysterical spoof from Gatorade during the ESPYs of the "Letters from Peyton" video that Gatorade also made shortly after Manning's retirement.

The original was touching and really well done. In case you missed it.

http://youtu.be/gDOP5-LqeaI

The spoof can be viewed here. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=17058800

Enjoy :laugh:

58Miller
07-14-2016, 10:39 AM
"Your like my brother who keeps losing to my other brother!"
Gold! Hahaha

broncoslover115
07-14-2016, 10:40 AM
"Your like my brother who keeps losing to my other brother!"
Gold! Hahaha

Loved that one and loved Brady's response that they had to bleep out. Awesome!

gerontion
07-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Loved that one and loved Brady's response that they had to bleep out. Awesome!

Broncos and Giants, co-owners of the Pats.

Bootleg
07-14-2016, 11:26 AM
h-56dz3kroa

Just in case the embedded video still isn't working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-56DZ3KROA

Emily Diana
07-31-2016, 06:04 AM
- Peyton Manning headlines ESPN’s all-retirement team -

"Retired Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning brought the winning culture back to the Mile High City during his four years with the team: Four AFC West titles, two AFC Championship victories and one giant Super Bowl 50 victory. ...

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler placed him as the quarterback for the 2015 NFL all-retirement team, which included Calvin Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Justin Tuck and Heath Miller. Here’s how Fowler broke it down:

“Top five dead or alive. From beginning to end, Manning’s quarterback career couldn’t have been built better in a lab.”

In my opinion, he’s the greatest of all-time. He has the multiple rings which were required, five MVP awards, and is the all-time leader in passing yards, touchdowns, game-winning drives and wins. What more do you want?

You can’t use Super Bowls to measure a quarterback’s success. No way were Eli or Ben Roethlisberger better than Manning for a few years.

Manning also got the job done with two teams. He played with five different coaches, and turned a plethora of guys into superstars: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon, Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders and Julius Thomas." ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peyton-manning-headlines-espn-retirement-132539879.html

DrunkPanda
08-06-2016, 09:07 PM
is a punk. A few years ago, he was crying before the draft about how grateful he would be to whichever team drafted him blah blah blah. Now he gets a little success in the NFL and instantly demands that his contract get reworked to make him one of the highest paid safeties in the league or he will hold out? This is on top of still recovering from a serious injury, no less.

I don't respect this guy at all for his actions, shows he's all about himself. Cardinals took a huge gamble on drafting him, now he is forcing them to take another huge gamble by giving him a giant contract while he's recovering from a serious injury, before his current contract is even up? Where's the so called gratitude that he promised he would show to the team that drafted him?

By the way, I don't think that gamble will pay off. The guy is too injury prone due to his undersizedness. I'm rooting against him, either way

brianmcfarlane
08-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Yes, I think he is very overrated for a player that hasn't been in the NFL long enough to get as cocky as he is. He is a good S but is injury prone so far and has not been around long enough to demand anything.

dizzolve
08-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Anyone interesting at all in this topic should watch 'All or Nothing' (Hard Knocks rip-off). It's really quite good.

As for TM, I can't believe how small the guy is. The respect he gets league wide is shocking to me personally. He just seems underwhelming to me compared to his hype. Granted he's made aplay or two but I don't get it I really dont. And like you said, his injuries .... 'shrug'

BUT - I have to admit after watching the Cardinal Documentary, it became clear to see that the kid really is a leader over there. I personally am not too enthralled with his words, but his team mates are. His leadership does count for something though.

dizzolve
08-07-2016, 05:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000681252/article/denvers-britton-colquitt-latest-to-bash-justin-tucker

.................."I also take it personally because I'm a holder. If I was a kicker, the last thing I'm going to do when I make a field is sprint as far away from my holder and snapper, as he loves to do and just does some kind of dance. That drives me crazy."................

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000680632/article/brandon-mcmanus-to-justin-tucker-prove-yourself

................."I will give him an all-expense paid trip if he can do it,".....................

dolphinsneu
08-14-2016, 08:00 PM
- Peyton Manning headlines ESPN’s all-retirement team -

"Retired Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning brought the winning culture back to the Mile High City during his four years with the team: Four AFC West titles, two AFC Championship victories and one giant Super Bowl 50 victory. ...

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler placed him as the quarterback for the 2015 NFL all-retirement team, which included Calvin Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Justin Tuck and Heath Miller. Here’s how Fowler broke it down:

“Top five dead or alive. From beginning to end, Manning’s quarterback career couldn’t have been built better in a lab.”

In my opinion, he’s the greatest of all-time. He has the multiple rings which were required, five MVP awards, and is the all-time leader in passing yards, touchdowns, game-winning drives and wins. What more do you want?

You can’t use Super Bowls to measure a quarterback’s success. No way were Eli or Ben Roethlisberger better than Manning for a few years.

Manning also got the job done with two teams. He played with five different coaches, and turned a plethora of guys into superstars: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon, Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders and Julius Thomas." ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peyton-manning-headlines-espn-retirement-132539879.html

I used to believe that you can't use Super Bowls or victories to measure a quarterback's success. But there's something in my mind causing a little bit of doubt that I can't shake.

beastlyskronk
08-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Titans get OT Dennis Kelly who must not be too good with Lane Johnson being suspended. Surprised that Justin Hunter lasted longer in Tennessee

Rastic
08-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Posted by Zac Jackson on August 18, 2016, 7:07 PM EDT

The NFL preseason is dangerous. Even before the games start.

Eagles kicker Caleb Sturgis is out for Thursday night’s Eagles-Steelers game after suffering a concussion when a punt hit him in the head during pregame warmups. Sturgis wasn’t wearing his helmet when he was hit by the ball.

Sturgis and Cody Parkey are competing for the Eagles’ kicking job, so the absence of Sturgis makes it an even bigger night than it already was for Parkey and his bid to win a job.

Sturgis is a fourth-year pro and is entering his second season with the Eagles. He went 18-of-22 on field goal tries in 13 games for the Eagles last season.

Source (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/18/caleb-sturgis-suffers-pregame-concussion/)

Crazy. How often does a kicker get injured by a punt? I have seen them hurt kicking a ball but never by the ball.

ksubroncosfan
08-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Lol.......

Butler By'Note
08-18-2016, 04:36 PM
I've heard of NHL players getting hit in the head with the puck during warmups, when they're not wearing helmets, and missing games, but never a kicker getting hit by a punt. I guess he didn't signal for a fair catch.

gimmieshelter69
08-18-2016, 11:07 PM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25511457/tom-bradys-new-contract-protects-him-from-deflategate-suspensions

This reinforces in my mind even more Brady cheated. What a bunch of crock.

no not at all, its not a bunch of crock? are you incharge of the mans money?

dolphinsneu
08-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Crazy. How often does a kicker get injured by a punt? I have seen them hurt kicking a ball but never by the ball.

I remember Sturgis when he was with Miami

Both he, and Dan Carpenter before him, cost the Dolphins possible playoff berths in 2012, 2013, and possibly 2014.

I think I am one of the few people who appreciates the effect a great kicker can have on a team.

Still wish him a very fast recovery, though.