PDA

View Full Version : Manning Thought About Signing 1 Day Contract To Retire A Colt, Decided Against It

kingelway7
03-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Peyton Manning will retire a Bronco, forego one-day Colts contract (http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/19/11270238/peyton-manning-retire-broncos-colts-one-day-contract)

Without a doubt, Peyton Manning is one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever don an NFL uniform. Some wondered which uniform would be his last.

Now we know.

According to Indianapolis' WRTV's Dave Furst, Manning "thought hard" and "gave serious consideration" to signing a one-day contract with the Indianapolis Colts ahead of his retirement ceremony in Indianapolis on Friday. He ultimately decided not to. Manning will forego such ceremonies and finish his career a member of the Denver Broncos.

While it's true that this decision doesn't mean as much as it does in other sports like baseball, where you're inducted into the Hall of Fame as a member of a specific team (in the NFL, Manning will be inducted as a member of the Broncos and Colts), it still matters. It still matters to Manning - has he ever "thought hard" or given "serious consideration" to anything that didn't? And it matters to the fans that have a bond with Manning after his four years in Denver.

Count me among them. It adds legitimacy to his stay in Denver for me, confirming that he wasn't just collecting a paycheck and padding his Hall of Fame resume while in Mile High Country. He was a Bronco. He bled orange and blue. We bled with him. It adds an extra feeling of gratitude for me when I see my two Manning jerseys hanging in the closet.

His decision reflects his words from a few weeks ago at his Broncos retirement press conference.

"Grateful is the word that comes to my mind when thinking of the Denver Broncos," Manning said. "To all of my Denver teammates, thank you for what you've done for this old quarterback. And of course my gratitude to the Broncos fans everywhere."

"I couldn't have made a better decision coming out to play these last four years in Denver."

CanDB
03-19-2016, 04:53 PM
Manning pretty much does everything "thoughtfully" and with class. I say this as someone who was not a big fan of his until he came here. I never disliked him, just not a true fan.

sendacash
03-19-2016, 05:06 PM
I don't blame him, given the Colts left him for dead for Luck and he turned it around into one of the best 4 year stretches in Broncos history

BroncoFanBoy
03-19-2016, 05:28 PM
I'm very glad to hear Peyton say how grateful he is for being a Bronco. It's not like he'll act like he never played here. He was great to have around, I'll miss watching him play and seeing his commercials.

:salute: to Peyton Manning

Sophia23
03-19-2016, 06:06 PM
I was a fan of Peyton when he was a Colt. I was exstatic when he Peyton became a Bronco. I really appreciated that he retired as a Bronco. I wondered originally how it would work out if he would retire as a Bronco, or retire as a Colt. I love that he retired from the NFL as a Bronco. He may of only been a Bronco for 4 years, but I'm glad he chose us.

shawinkerpoppin
03-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Makes sense. He set career records and broke single season records with the broncos. Even though he spent the bulk of his career as a colt one could argue his most significant achievements happened as a bronco.

ArchAngel
03-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Makes sense. He set career records and broke single season records with the broncos. Even though he spent the bulk of his career as a colt one could argue his most significant achievements happened as a bronco.

I whole heartedly concur!!

BroncosDivision
03-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Always been a fan of the great Peyton Manning and I know my younger brother who's a passionate Ravens fan very much feels the same way about him, it's something we've talked about a lot over the past four years. Thing is, Manning just does it the right way in my opinion (not a given in this day and age) and it doesn't hurt that he's a very likeable guy.

Blanket24
03-19-2016, 09:49 PM
I feel that both organizations should hold a huge spot in mannings heart. He canonized himself in indy but showed his ability to overcome career threatening adversity to hAve maybe the best 3 year stretch of his career with the 4th being the cherry on top in denver. So while indy should be his 1 denver should no doubt be no less than 1a in his heart being that the organization believed in him so much and he was able to hoist another lombardi trophy while at it

LSIGRAD09
03-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Cool beans :thumb:

listopencil
03-19-2016, 10:03 PM
The only QB in the NFL to ever win a Super Bowl starting for two different teams. And the first time around it was pretty much him that got us there. Peyton Freaking Manning. Thanks for the memories.

Chronoless
03-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Thank you Peyton. Thank you for everything. :logo:

As Joe Ellis said ""Peyton Manning will go into Broncos Ring of Fame.''

Breakin2
03-19-2016, 10:41 PM
Guys not to be the bearer of bad news but Manning retired while under contract to the Denver Broncos. He wouldnt be allowed to sign a one day contract with the Colts. If he was allowed to he prob would. The fact he said he considered makes me think hes just pandering because no doubt his agent has already told him he cant do it.

sheenabobeena
03-19-2016, 10:58 PM
Guys not to be the bearer of bad news but Manning retired while under contract to the Denver Broncos. He wouldnt be allowed to sign a one day contract with the Colts. If he was allowed to he prob would. The fact he said he considered makes me think hes just pandering because no doubt his agent has already told him he cant do it.

I believe he could have made the Broncos cut him, but that would have been a PR disaster.

BroncosIsWin
03-20-2016, 12:59 AM
If he had signed for 1 day, I doubt any of us would be upset. Guy spent most of his career as a Colt. I wouldn't be mad.

dizzolve
03-20-2016, 01:03 AM
I like the decision. Being a Bronco fan aside - I'm happy he decided against Isray's offer. Like said above me there - even if he did I wouldn't have cared.

But why should the Colts get their cake and eat it too? They gave up on him before his time - and this is probably his way of not being taken advantage of. It's simply - fair. Fair for Denver and fair for Indy and for the Colts.

Indy fans probably would have preferred a one day Colts contract, and they probably deserve it - but my belief is that Manning didn't acquiesce because he was given up on. Not the fan's fault. But it's also not Manning's.

At risk of understatement of the year, I'm truly happy we were able to accomplish our mission within 5 years with John Elway. And to do it in 4 years with Manning while it took Indy 9.

At the end of the day - whether or not it's a business - the Colts gave up on Manning and he ended up winning another SuperBowl Championship..... had a record breaking QB season and an MVP season with Denver. Whether or not the Colts can be blamed for their decision to give up on Manning, they still did. And this is probably Manning's way of saying - you shouldn't have given up on me.

CoryWinget81
03-20-2016, 01:15 AM
Manning sticks it to irsay one last time. Love it

broncoslover115
03-20-2016, 04:36 AM
Manning sticks it to irsay one last time. Love it

Right up, um, ah, um, um, ah, um, um, ah, his um, ah, keister. :D

chad72
03-20-2016, 07:07 AM
One, the Broncos hold his retirement rights till end of 2016 season. He has to be released by the Broncos BEFORE he can sign with the Colts for one day. Until that happens, this story has no valid legs except for building upon fan sentiment based on which way they want to sway with their opinions :).

We are all putting our faith in Dave Furst and his reporting, without confirming it with the horse's mouth, that is all I am saying.

pozbaird
03-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Good decision and a sensible one. His status as a Colts legend was already cemented, and he didn't sign an artificial one-day contract to sour his stay in Denver - which ended with him holding aloft the Lombardi trophy.

Correct decision, smart play from a smart player.

HUMCALC
03-26-2016, 04:07 PM
I think that he should have done it and prove that there were no hard feelings

broncoslover115
03-26-2016, 04:32 PM
I think that he should have done it and prove that there were no hard feelings

Why did he need to prove this? Maybe there were.

HUMCALC
03-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Why did he need to prove this? Maybe there were.

Because they did a lot for him in his career

broncoslover115
03-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Because they did a lot for him in his career

And he did a lot for them. I say it's about even then. Actually, I would say that PM did way more for them than they did for him. What did they do for him except have him carry the team on his back for all those years. And it seems like they are doing the same thing to Luck as they did to Manning....having to carry the team on his back as well by not building a strong running game and a defense to go with it.

In my opinion, he doesn't owe them anything. He went back and accepted and participated in their ceremony, was classy as usual, they are building a statue of him, etc. I think that's about all he needs to do. He doesn't need to prove that there aren't hard feelings by retiring a Colt. He can't do that until the end of 2016 anyway, so it's a moot point.

But if he did have that option, I believe the Broncos did EVERYTHING in their power to make sure Manning went out a SB champion much more than the Colts ever did.

Sorry, I don't see that the Colts did all that much for Peyton. I say the Broncos did WAY more for him than the Colts ever did.

HUMCALC
03-27-2016, 10:45 AM
And he did a lot for them. I say it's about even then. Actually, I would say that PM did way more for them than they did for him. What did they do for him except have him carry the team on his back for all those years. And it seems like they are doing the same thing to Luck as they did to Manning....having to carry the team on his back as well by not building a strong running game and a defense to go with it.

In my opinion, he doesn't owe them anything. He went back and accepted and participated in their ceremony, was classy as usual, they are building a statue of him, etc. I think that's about all he needs to do. He doesn't need to prove that there aren't hard feelings by retiring a Colt. He can't do that until the end of 2016 anyway, so it's a moot point.

But if he did have that option, I believe the Broncos did EVERYTHING in their power to make sure Manning went out a SB champion much more than the Colts ever did.

Sorry, I don't see that the Colts did all that much for Peyton. I say the Broncos did WAY more for him than the Colts ever did.

They drafted a lot of good players for him. Luck on the other hand, all they gave him are passing targets & you're right, they need a running game & solid DL help