PDA

View Full Version : Manziel moving in with Miller

Bterres105
04-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Manziel is roomies with Miller in order to get his life together. I'm terrified of Von partaking in any of Manziel's activities and possibly getting in trouble. It only takes one bad cell for cancer to proliferate.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/johnny-manziel-says-moved-broncos-112600258.html

beastlyskronk
04-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Expect Demarcus ware to be spending most of his nights babysitting those two.

Houshmazode
04-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Could turn out great or could be a disaster.

one_bad_55
04-10-2016, 11:33 AM
If he can get his life in order great but don't bring the other crap here with you. I sure hope Von knows what he is doing.

L.M.
04-10-2016, 11:40 AM
May Von have the courage and sense to override this misplaced old Aggie loyalty and boot Johnny's ass out the door if or more likely when he starts partying and getting in trouble again!

And I hope Von's teammates (like Ware especially) will tell him just how terrible this idea is. Von is not qualified to repair a mess like this as a home project.

CanDB
04-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Hey, folks just trying to help one another. Do we let people we know and care about fall further, or do we throw 'em a net, and talk straight with them?

Who knows, maybe we can rejuvenate the guy, and even see some potential in a year or so. It's all in the handling.

DevilSpawn
04-10-2016, 11:41 AM
You can catch a cold, but can you catch a stupid? Hope Von is the dominant personality in this pairing, for his sake.

L.M.
04-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Hey, folks just trying to help one another. Do we let people we know and care about fall further, or do we throw 'em a net, and talk straight with them?

Who knows, maybe we can rejuvenate the guy, and even see some potential in a year or so. It's all in the handling.

Who's "we"?

Even if it was family I would still hesitate because of the nature of these problems. JM's issues require professional help -as in psychology PhD's not pro linebackers. And he needs a rehab center environment, not the lap of luxury of an NFL star.

broncoslover115
04-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Can, I posted this in another thread but I feel really strongly about this so I am reposting it here. I'm not sure how much you know about addiction and alcoholism but there is a huge difference between throwing someone a net who wants to clean up their act, who is doing everything they can to get sober and deal with their addiction and someone who isn't. Manziel has yet to address his addiction at all and his life has become unmanageable. Manziel is still using and is still in the throws of his addiction.

I may not be very popular saying this but this concerns me. Von needs to surround himself with positive role models like DWare, not Manziel. I think it would be terrific if he can help him from a distance but to move in with Von kind of scares me. The reason being is that Manziel hasn't taken the steps to get sober yet and is actively in the process of hitting his bottom. Maybe Manziel has hit his bottom because of all the arrests and not having a job, but I don't think so.

It is one thing to live with someone who is actively addressing their addiction issues, who has continued to maintain a sober lifestyle and another to be living with someone who is still using, who is still getting into trouble and who still appears that he could give a rat's bum what the consequences of his actions are.

When someone is actively using it impacts everyone around them. It impacts all their relationships and I pray that Manziel's current lifestyle doesn't take Von down the wrong road. I have to say I'm kind of worried about this. Maybe Von is really solid in his sobriety and it works out, but Manziel doesn't need a baby sitter right now. He needs to be in a long term treatment facility.

I hope to God that Manziel doesn't drag Von back down. I hope he is strong enough to not let that happen. But I'm worried.

Bterres105
04-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Can, I posted this in another thread but I feel really strongly about this so I am reposting it here. I'm not sure how much you know about addiction and alcoholism but there is a huge difference between throwing someone a net who wants to clean up their act, who is doing everything they can to get sober and deal with their addiction and someone who isn't. Manziel has yet to address his addiction at all and his life has become unmanageable. Manziel is still using and is still in the throws of his addiction.

I may not be very popular saying this but this concerns me. Von needs to surround himself with positive role models like DWare, not Manziel. I think it would be terrific if he can help him from a distance but to move in with Von kind of scares me. The reason being is that Manziel hasn't taken the steps to get sober yet and is actively in the process of hitting his bottom. Maybe Manziel has hit his bottom because of all the arrests and not having a job, but I don't think so.

It is one thing to live with someone who is actively addressing their addiction issues, who has continued to maintain a sober lifestyle and another to be living with someone who is still using, who is still getting into trouble and who still appears that he could give a rat's bum what the consequences of his actions are.

When someone is actively using it impacts everyone around them. It impacts all their relationships and I pray that Manziel's current lifestyle doesn't take Von down the wrong road. I have to say I'm kind of worried about this. Maybe Von is really solid in his sobriety and it works out, but Manziel doesn't need a baby sitter right now. He needs to be in a long term treatment facility.

I hope to God that Manziel doesn't drag Von back down. I hope he is strong enough to not let that happen. But I'm worried.

CP's once I get to a laptop.

CanDB
04-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Who's "we"?

Even if it was family I would still hesitate because of the nature of these problems. JM's issues require professional help -as in psychology PhD's not pro linebackers. And he needs a rehab center environment, not the lap of luxury of an NFL star.

Just a general comment, as in "we" as a society.

Not saying it isn't a wee bit of a concern, but my take would be that our leadership group knows about it, and have either endorsed it, or will intervene with some advice.

CanDB
04-10-2016, 12:05 PM

Hey, I understand where you come from. My initial stance on things like this is, get all the facts first. By now our management team knows about it. If they are ok with it, than it will likely be monitored I'm sure. If they are not, I am absolutely sure that they will step in.

Lets just see what transpires. I was a bit anxious at first, but have learned that certain situations require thorough understanding of the entire picture.

I highly doubt our organization is going to take a big risk with a great player, unless they have done their due diligence.

Just my thoughts.

I know I am not an expert in all matters, and certainly not this type of situation, but when you live long enough, know a lot of people,including healthcare professionals, you do not take these situations lightly.

....just to add, I didn't think too long about my first post, given I assume Elway, Kubiak and company are fully aware of what is going on.

broncoslover115
04-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Not saying it isn't a wee bit of a concern, but my take would be that our leadership group knows about it, and have either endorsed it, or will intervene with some advice.

For me it is way more than a wee bit of a concern. This is a really terrible idea and as I posted to your comment, I am really concerned. If JM were sober and committed to sobriety, fine. But he isn't. If there was someone like Cris Carter throwing him a net I'd be fine with the idea cause he's had over 15 years of sobriety under his belt and would be able to deal with someone like JM. But again, he needs to be in treatment, not in someone's home.

Did you know that JM's own father has said that he's afraid his son will die if he doesn't get his act together. His life is spiraling out of control Can. Arrest after arrest, domestic violence charges, possession of controlled substances, videos of him partying right after getting arrested for hitting his girlfriend, and doing all this knowing he was going to lose his job.

This is not the stage where a friend should step in and have you in their home to act as a babysitter. He is at the stage where he needs really serious help before it's too late. The guy is in real trouble. His family should be doing an intervention. His Super Agent is not doing him any favors by trying to get him a job. He should be getting him help.

Atwnbroncfan
04-10-2016, 12:13 PM
National Lampoons Animal House NFL edition

broncoslover115
04-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Hey, I understand where you come from. My initial stance on things like this is, get all the facts first. By now our management team knows about it. If they are ok with it, than it will likely be monitored I'm sure. If they are not, I am absolutely sure that they will step in.

Lets just see what transpires. I was a bit anxious at first, but have learned that certain situations require thorough understanding of the entire picture.

I highly doubt our organization is going to take a big risk with a great player, unless they have done their due diligence.

Just my thoughts.

I know I am not an expert in all matters, and certainly not this type of situation, but when you live long enough, know a lot of people,including healthcare professionals, you do not take these situations lightly.

Well I'm going to disagree with you on this. First, I'm not sure how the Broncos can tell him who he can have in his own home or not. I have seen the NFL and organizations take these things lightly all the time because I don't believe that they know what they are doing all the time when it comes to issues like this. They certainly don't know how to address domestic violence, that's for damn sure. And I'm not so sure they know how to address alcoholism and addiction either. They can fall on the substance abuse policy but I don't know how they can tell a player who they can have in their home.

I hope that my guy DeMarcus steps in and intervenes here. He probably is the one who has the most influence over Von anyway, moreso than the management.

L.M.
04-10-2016, 12:16 PM

OK gotcha. Had to ask because "we" used around here especially tends to refer to the Broncos org, which as far as I know is not on board with the rehab and development of Manziel for their own QB needs. Hopefully they will intervene with some advice because even though Von has noble and helpful intentions toward his Aggie brother, he is playing with fire here!

Home is a vitally-important place to rest, recuperate and stay centered, and Von is introducing a chaotic element into his.

CanDB
04-10-2016, 12:16 PM
For me it is way more than a wee bit of a concern. This is a really terrible idea and as I posted to your comment, I am really concerned. If JM were sober and committed to sobriety, fine. But he isn't. If there was someone like Cris Carter throwing him a net I'd be fine with the idea cause he's had over 15 years of sobriety under his belt and would be able to deal with someone like JM. But again, he needs to be in treatment, not in someone's home.

Did you know that JM's own father has said that he's afraid his son will die if he doesn't get his act together. His life is spiraling out of control Can. Arrest after arrest, domestic violence charges, possession of controlled substances, videos of him partying right after getting arrested for hitting his girlfriend, and doing all this knowing he was going to lose his job.

This is not the stage where a friend should step in and have you in their home to act as a babysitter. He is at the stage where he needs really serious help before it's too late. The guy is in real trouble. His family should be doing an intervention. His Super Agent is not doing him any favors by trying to get him a job. He should be getting him help.

I am with you. I just feel we need to hear more. Lets expect some feedback from our front office/coaching.

CanDB
04-10-2016, 12:19 PM
OK gotcha. Had to ask because "we" used around here especially tends to refer to the Broncos org, which as far as I know is not on board with the rehab and development of Manziel for their own QB needs. Hopefully they will intervene with some advice because even though Von has noble and helpful intentions toward his Aggie brother, he is playing with fire here!

Home is a vitally-important place to rest, recuperate and stay centered, and Von is introducing a chaotic element into his.

Cool bro. I realized after posting that it came across a little casual. No, I am concerned, but I am trusting that there is a lot more to follow. No way do we take chances with our players, especially one of Von's age/calibre. That is why I feel strongly that this has been or will be addressed from higher up the org chart.

shawinkerpoppin
04-10-2016, 12:20 PM
My mother always told me bad association spoils useful habits.

FL BRONCO
04-10-2016, 12:21 PM
While worrisome, I have to applaud Von for not leaving his friend behind in a very difficult time. Thats what friends are for imo. If you are only a friend when things go right, then you aren't a friend at all imo. Again it certainly worries me, but says a lot about Von and his loyalty. Like that in my team.:salute:

broncoslover115
04-10-2016, 12:39 PM
While worrisome, I have to applaud Von for not leaving his friend behind in a very difficult time. Thats what friends are for imo. If you are only a friend when things go right, then you aren't a friend at all imo. Again it certainly worries me, but says a lot about Von and his loyalty. Like that in my team.:salute:

Sometimes the best course of action is to tell that friend to get professional help before his life goes down the tubes. I hear you though. He's trying to be a good friend but having an active alcoholic move in with him probably isn't the best way to help JM.

CanDB
04-10-2016, 12:45 PM

Yes, outside the basic premise of "initial concern without all of the details", this is also how I see it. Von has come a long way in my books. He seems to be much more mature these days, and is still being guided by Ware - a true leader, and others. To be sure, there is more to follow on this story, but if anything, many might look the other way.

Too early for any of us to know for sure.....but I agree with your assessment re: loyalty/team.

Houshmazode
04-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Ya know, Kubiak did talk to Manziel a few days ago. Maybe he knows about it all and has a plan. Maybe we'll wait for his legal troubles to clear and for him to get in order, then we'll give him a shot with a small contract.

L.M.
04-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Sometimes the best course of action is to tell that friend to get professional help before his life goes down the tubes. I hear you though. He's trying to be a good friend but having an active alcoholic move in with him probably isn't the best way to help JM.

Indeed, it's really out of his league, IMO. Von hasn't proved that he's a solid, psychologically-healthy rock to rely upon yet either. He's only a couple years removed from his own addiction problem. With Manziel there, he will be tested and in a place where Von really just needs to get sleep and chill out, not act as a babysitter, supervisor, and counselor.

It would be better if he would be his friend and a helpful influence from afar. If he wants to take a more proactive role in JM's rehab, then at least let Johnny have his own apartment and Von can drive him to support groups and therapy.

Fantaztic7
04-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Ware said Von has grown tremendously and now mentors other players. This is not a situation for mentoring.

Red flags. This is a situation with strong potential for something bad to go down at Von's home. Even if Von were not around when something goes wrong, it still puts him in a bad predicament.

I've been very closely involved with outreach taking care of the homeless. There are addicts that receive our help - that does not mean I bring them home which could endanger my family.

Not good Von...you can help without him being in your home.

JT24Champ
04-10-2016, 01:42 PM
everyone can calm down now

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 17m17 minutes ago
Talked to source close to Von Miller. Johnny Manziel is NOT living with Miller. Same city (L.A.). Not same home. #9news #9sports

CanDB
04-10-2016, 01:47 PM

Talked to source close to Von Miller. Johnny Manziel is NOT living with Miller. Same city (L.A.). Not same home. #9news #9sports

You see....this is why you wait for the details.

L.M.
04-10-2016, 01:55 PM

:confused: and Manziel told TMZ that he's "living with Miller" , you can watch the video of him stating that twice right here:

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/04/10/johnny-manziel-vonn-miller-denver-broncos-nightclub-video/

I don't think one would phrase living in the same vast metro area this way... but maybe he was just drunk and full of crap?

broncoslover115
04-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Ware said Von has grown tremendously and now mentors other players. This is not a situation for mentoring.

Red flags. This is a situation with strong potential for something bad to go down at Von's home. Even if Von were not around when something goes wrong, it still puts him in a bad predicament.

I've been very closely involved with outreach taking care of the homeless. There are addicts that receive our help - that does not mean I bring them home which could endanger my family.

Not good Von...you can help without him being in your home.

Like Gronk and Chandler Jones?

L.M.
04-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Silver: Manziel showed up drunk at practice - NFL Videos 4 days ago

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/0ap3000000632905/Silver-Manziel-showed-up-drunk-at-practice

broncoslover115
04-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Silver: Manziel showed up drunk at practice - NFL Videos 4 days ago

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/0ap3000000632905/Silver-Manziel-showed-up-drunk-at-practice

Unbelievable. And in the other clip you posted, he's still saying he can party and drink. He was being interviewed as he was going into a nightclub. What more do people need to see? The guy is a mess and needs to be physically taken to a rehab center now.

KansasKrista
04-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Miller has seemed to mature and gotten a hold of his issues.. I'm not doubting that.
Just two words... Josh Hamilton.

I know different people, different circumstances. But... Josh was a totally changed guy too, had a spiritual transformation.. Gotten his act together. Yet he once again fell on difficult times with substance abuse. Not judging on the guy but, addictions are a life long struggle... With falls off the wagon and then hopefully getting back on. Sobriety is a very tenuous thing.. It takes work, commitment and strength. Anything can trigger a relapse..

I think we can all agree the absolute worst thing you can do if you are a recovering addict is surround yourself with people who are still in the grips of the addiction. I don't know if Miller is an addict, I don't know much about his pre-Bronco days but, I do know he had that suspension because of some issue with it.
So even if I do commend Miller for trying to be a good and loyal friend to Manziel, I think it could be a really bad mistake. Especially considering Von hasn't signed his mega contract as of yet. It's risky for him to associate closely with Manziel in my opinion at this point in his career.

I know they are not actually living together but, even living in the same city and spending a lot of time together could be trouble. Or it could all be just fine too.. I guess time will tell.

broncoslover115
04-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Miller has seemed to mature and gotten a hold of his issues.. I'm not doubting that.
Just two words... Josh Hamilton.

I know different people, different circumstances. But... Josh was a totally changed guy too, had a spiritual transformation.. Gotten his act together. Yet he once again fell on difficult times with substance abuse. Not judging on the guy but, addictions are a life long struggle... With falls off the wagon and then hopefully getting back on. Sobriety is a very tenuous thing.. It takes work, commitment and strength. Anything can trigger a relapse..

I think we can all agree the absolute worst thing you can do if you are a recovering addict is surround yourself with people who are still in the grips of the addiction. I don't know if Miller is an addict, I don't know much about his pre-Bronco days but, I do know he had that suspension because of some issue with it.
So even if I do commend Miller for trying to be a good and loyal friend to Manziel, I think it could be a really bad mistake. Especially considering Von hasn't signed his mega contract as of yet. It's risky for him to associate closely with Manziel in my opinion at this point in his career.

I know they are not actually living together but, even living in the same city and spending a lot of time together could be trouble. Or it could all be just fine too.. I guess time will tell.

Nice post Krista. There seems to be conflicting reports about the living together piece. One story has Manziel saying they are living in the same house and other saying they are not. Regardless, what you said is spot on. Relapse is part of the addiction cycle and if it's not actually worked on as a part of the process can happen really quickly when people aren't paying attention to the warning signals.

I am not familiar with Josh Hamilton. I looked it up but found a baseball star. Is that who you were referring to? I do know that he got into trouble for smoking pot with a fellow team mate Josh Gordon though. That guy completely fell into the pits. Which is really sad. What a talent he was.

Edit: I actually just read the story of Josh Hamilton. He certainly had his issues as well.

dizzolve
04-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Are they good friends or something? What's the tie?

Not comfortable with this one.

Oh well

broncoslover115
04-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Are they good friends or something? What's the tie?

Not comfortable with this one.

Oh well

They are both Texas A&M alumni.

HazMat
04-10-2016, 04:04 PM
My mother always told me bad association spoils useful habits.

Wow... J.Witn..?

False Start
04-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Tell me this is a bad dream.

CoryWinget81
04-10-2016, 04:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15176905/johnny-manziel-says-living-von-miller-denver-broncos?ex_cid=espnfb

Check out the video. "I'm not drunk". No, dude youre drunk.

Rastic
04-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Gosh, his story is such a sad one of stupid mistakes coupled with talent that made others make stupid mistakes in overlooking Manziel's behavior, in essence enabling the worst that was in him instead of busting his chops when he needed it most. Obviously what he does is on him but as I look at my own life, those that had the biggest impact were those that pushed me to excel as an individual, in education, in decency, in so many areas that matter once you become an adult.

He needs to quit the NFL and get his life in check before he has a major blow out and injures and/or kills himself or, God forbid, someone else.

bronx_2003
04-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Some people over-react so much without knowing the facts. It was the same in the 'Broncos are signing Manziel' thread ....... until they learnt that was bogus.

Manziel isn't living with Miller. They are in the same city, LA, at the moment.

CanDB
04-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Folks.....just like Kubiak reaching out to Manziel is not about us signing him, so should we not read too much into reports like this. Wait til the story comes from a reliable source, and only after our leadership respond to it.

Elway and company are not losing their collective minds. Reaching out, or lending a hand to a former mate has little to do with inviting him into our homes and locker room, and offering him a contract.

Justblaze2729
04-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Somebody put these two in a reality series. Id watch.

L.M.
04-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Some people over-react so much without knowing the facts. It was the same in the 'Broncos are signing Manziel' thread ....... until they learnt that was bogus.

Manziel isn't living with Miller. They are in the same city, LA, at the moment.

Maybe, or the source close to Miller who told Klis that simply isn't aware that JM just moved in with Miller. Manziel told the press directly on camera that he's living with Miller and it's been reiterated by other press outlets.

KansasKrista
04-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Nice post Krista. There seems to be conflicting reports about the living together piece. One story has Manziel saying they are living in the same house and other saying they are not. Regardless, what you said is spot on. Relapse is part of the addiction cycle and if it's not actually worked on as a part of the process can happen really quickly when people aren't paying attention to the warning signals.

I am not familiar with Josh Hamilton. I looked it up but found a baseball star. Is that who you were referring to? I do know that he got into trouble for smoking pot with a fellow team mate Josh Gordon though. That guy completely fell into the pits. Which is really sad. What a talent he was.

Edit: I actually just read the story of Josh Hamilton. He certainly had his issues as well.

Yes, Hamilton is a phenomenal talent.. And such a great story. A comeback kid.. A man beating his demons and soaring to great heights as a MLB player.
But, he also had several relapses during his MLB career. He would always admit his mistakes and get back up on the wagon but, he sure struggled over the years. And there is no doubt it hurt his career somewhat.

I was always rooting for him. He seemed like a genuinely good guy even though he had such terrible addictions. Unlike Manziel though, I don't think Josh ever resorted to violence in his alcohol/drug fueled state. That's sort of where I change my attitude from sympathy and support to more caution and trepidation.

I know some want to make it seem like we are over reacting if we are concerned about this but, I think a little concern in this case is justified. It doesn't mean I think Von is going to take some dramatic turn down hill or anything but, even a small thing could turn into a big thing with Goodell considering Miller had already been disciplined for substance issues.

sendacash
04-10-2016, 06:24 PM
They just skipped right over the courting part and moved in together? My goodness, this could get ugly. I thought Von was dancing the nights away in Los Angeles? I always thought there should be a sequel to the movie 'Brothers'. Will Ferrell can play Johhny Football.

PAINTERDAVE
04-10-2016, 06:56 PM
:confused: and Manziel told TMZ that he's "living with Miller" , you can watch the video of him stating that twice right here:

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/04/10/johnny-manziel-vonn-miller-denver-broncos-nightclub-video/

I don't think one would phrase living in the same vast metro area this way... but maybe he was just drunk and full of crap?

Yep. Drunk .. trying to glom onto the success of Von.. Kubiak...
cant put any credence in the words of a drunk.
-
I reckon Von has enough sense to keep an arms length...
especially after seeing that video.

False Start
04-10-2016, 07:02 PM
-

I would recommend a cage.

L.M.
04-10-2016, 07:07 PM
-

Von saying "If I had to make my decision on it, he would already be on the Broncos" doesn't demonstrate a lot of sense, but I hope you're right.

PAINTERDAVE
04-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I saw that AFTER I posted..
Man alive...
time for Kubiak and Elway to become the PARENTS on this team...
-
One time... I took in my HS buddy.. gave him a place to stay...
his wife kicked him out... "Loser" she screamed as I drove him away...
-
About 2 weeks later.... they guy had lost his job...
was drunk every night... and then I woke up at 2 AM on sunday morning..
and my house was filled with smoke...
dude was standing over my steaming wet, blackened, smoldering couch...

standing there in his groddy underwear..
pan of water in his hand..
covered in soot...
smoke choking me and my dogs....

"I guess I forgot to put out my cigarette" he explained.
-

Yikes. Had not thought of old Joe for years.
Ended up drinking himself to death.

Yeah time for all them Broncos out in LA at Sanchez passing camp to do an intervention.
For Von.

one_bad_55
04-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Looking at that TMZ video JM doesn't think he has a problem. He has not even started a road to recovery. He needs help from a professional and not Von Miller.

You have to acknowledge to yourself that you have a problem before you can address the problem. BL115 is absolutely right that JM needs professional help. I can't believe he can't see he is ruining his life. I had a drinking problem when I was his age and the first thing I had to do was admit that I had a problem before I could go about fixing it. I have been sober for over 35 years now.

This is not a good situation if it is true that he is living with Von. I can understand supporting your school but to take in a guy that you hardly know is not right. Did they even play together in Texas?

Holger_Danske
04-10-2016, 08:28 PM
This is one bad dude. I can't help but believe that the Broncos brass is having a mild stroke over this

psychobilly
04-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Given Von's history this will not turn out well. It is time for the Broncos to hire a babysitter.

KWHIT97
04-11-2016, 02:51 AM
Give Von the long term deal he is looking for, then trade him ASAP. He has been great for us, but his value will never be higher and he is 1 strike away from a lengthy suspension. Manziel is bad news, send Von elsewhere and use the plethora of picks you'll get from him to build a dynasty.

Capt. Jack
04-11-2016, 04:48 AM
Give Von the long term deal he is looking for, then trade him ASAP. He has been great for us, but his value will never be higher and he is 1 strike away from a lengthy suspension. Manziel is bad news, send Von elsewhere and use the plethora of picks you'll get from him to build a dynasty.

This is a great idea!!!
You are judged by the company you keep.

CoryWinget81
04-11-2016, 04:53 AM

He's actually out of the program entirely now.

Freyaka
04-11-2016, 05:27 AM
This is bogus news...Von is currently being housed by Dancing with the Stars, they house them together, Johnny Football is not living with Von, Johnny football is a raging alcoholic who was probably so drunk he was lucky to know his own name at the time, much less who he is living with.

Freyaka
04-11-2016, 05:29 AM
https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/719260202176880641

Dancing with the Stars is housing Von Miller and all contestants. "Dancing" is not housing Johnny Football. #9news #9sports

/end thread

Bootleg
04-11-2016, 05:46 AM
:laugh: Pretty much what's been posted already ^

Drunk Johnny Manziel lied about living with Von Miller:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/4/11/11405982/drunk-johnny-manziel-lied-about-living-with-von-miller

CodyRoarkNFL
04-11-2016, 06:31 AM
This news is definitely rough in the sense that the details don't even match up. Manziel in the video went on saying "I don't think anyone has a problem with me partying, bro". He said bro a lot in that interview, he clearly sounded and looked intoxicated. While Von Miller is a support for Manziel, Manziel is impacting Von Miller in a not so positive way. Dancing With The Stars put Von Miller up in a house that is show sponsored. Manziel is living IN LA and not with Von Miller. The first thing that is absolutely evident is that Johnny Manziel has no desire to change how he is living, and is in denial about what he is doing. You cannot change if you are not willing to. I believe Manziel needs a year long suspension, required counseling, intensive rehabilitation before he should ever step onto the field again.

FR Tim
04-11-2016, 06:44 AM
This situation would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Manziel is such a mess and obviously not ready to make the necessary changes in his life.

That clip is sad. He obviously still does not get it. For a guy with his reputation and past issues to be standing outside a club telling the camera that he is "just chillin" five or six nights a week with no problem is downright ridiculous.

Miller needs to stay far away from this guy. Give him the number of a good rehab, encourage him to use it then send him on his way. Miller needs to be a professional and fulfill the expectations he has set before him as the franchise leader of the Broncos. He has responsibilities. And I do not mean winning DWTS or playing nursemaid to a troubled friend.

16TheSnake
04-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Often times, when we've gone through hardship in our own personal life, and through positive influence overcome said adversity; We desire greatly to help another person overcome a similar hardship through similar means.

It is a human construct, and as natural as the sun coming up each day.

Von was in JMs shoes; D Ware helped him to overcome that period in his life and come out on top of the NFL world. It is natural for Von to attempt to have a similar effect his close friend JM.

Will it be successful? We do not know. It all depends on how permanent the lessons learned from D Ware's influence permeate the lifestyle implemented by Von for JMs growth. Those are things we cannot know as fans on the outside.

If Von has truely turned a corner, then this should be no more dangerous then if D Ware was taking JM into his home for the same purpose.

If Von has not yet turned that corner then this choice will harm his own growth to this point.

Experience is the greatest teacher of all. Only time will reveal whether this was the correct choice for Von Miller at this moment in time.

GB2

donnyrides
04-11-2016, 08:06 AM
I know we are all fans of out team and of Von Miller, but this is a man helping a friend get his life in order.

Please remember that football is just a job to these players. They are not just video game programs that vanish when we turn off the xbox. They are real humans with feelings and emotions and for the most part are all just kids. They need mentoring and they themselves need role models as they are role models to younger kids themselves.

What Von is doing for Johnnie is the right thing to as a HUMAN.

I'm a fan of Humanity before I am a fan of football, Good for you Von. Get that kid squared away and back on the right path.

FL BRONCO
04-11-2016, 08:49 AM
I know we are all fans of out team and of Von Miller, but this is a man helping a friend get his life in order.

Please remember that football is just a job to these players. They are not just video game programs that vanish when we turn off the xbox. They are real humans with feelings and emotions and for the most part are all just kids. They need mentoring and they themselves need role models as they are role models to younger kids themselves.

I'm a fan of Humanity before I am a fan of football, Good for you Von. Get that kid squared away and back on the right path.

Cps when I reload

BroncoooJohnson
04-11-2016, 08:56 AM
They are both Texas A&M alumni.

Von is an alumni, Manziel didn't graduate. You're pretty much right, though.

gtown53
04-11-2016, 09:05 AM

I agree.

It's really disappointing to read the tone and tenor of comments on this Thread. It's great to read a message and reminder of simply "Doing the right thing".

ruksak
04-11-2016, 09:11 AM
Is anyone else thinking reality show gold? The ratings for this thing would be through the roof.

Jermz79
04-11-2016, 09:40 AM
Is this real?

I've read conflicting reports all over the internet. The most believable to me is that he is NOT living with Von currently because Von is living in housing provided by "Dancing with the Stars" while he is filming.

jaytea11
04-11-2016, 09:49 AM
IF this is true then it is a disaster waiting to happen. I don't know why Denver is even sniffing around this degenerate woman beater. He's going to end up in jail.

Freyaka
04-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Is this real?

I've read conflicting reports all over the internet. The most believable to me is that he is NOT living with Von currently because Von is living in housing provided by "Dancing with the Stars" while he is filming.

Johnny lied, he isn't living with him.

CanDB
04-11-2016, 11:14 AM

I like your style!

I say lets not overreact. This is a media driven world, often based on limited correct information, and often trying to score sensualisation points. I am not worried about. If folks think our team would allow Von to live with Manziel, they should think twice about it. They would not. It's simple as that.

And yes, as you have so eloquently stated, lets be human. How many of us who live pretty responsible lives have not lent a hand to those who were in a bad state? If you haven't, I would suggest you be there when the time comes.

onanygivensunda
04-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Johnny lied, he isn't living with him.
What a surprise. lol

ELWAY421
04-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Word is Manziel is living with Josh Gordon in LA. Lol, that'll get Gordon reinstated real fast.

L.M.
04-11-2016, 12:41 PM

I don't think that's the issue some people here have with the idea.

Let's put it this way, if a friend had been shot several times would you (as a non-M.D.) take him home and try to pull the bullets out yourself, or rush him to the hospital?

Von is not qualified for the task of rehabilitation, and his home is not a rehab center.

Some people here (and in the wider society) seem to misunderstand and downplay the severity of alcoholism and drug addiction and the kind of chaos it can generate which for Manziel has included battery, DUI's and scandal.

Anyway, it's not happening (apparently), and I sincerely hope there's no plan in Von's mind or articulated with Johnny to bring him home to Denver after DWTS concludes. I hope it all goes away.

TH3JUICEMAN
04-11-2016, 12:48 PM
I don't think that's the issue some people here have with the idea.

Let's put it this way, if a friend had been shot several times would you (as a non-M.D.) take him home and try to pull the bullets out yourself, or rush him to the hospital?

Von is not qualified for the task of rehabilitation, and his home is not a rehab center.

Some people here (and in the wider society) seem to misunderstand and downplay the severity of alcoholism and drug addiction and the kind of chaos it can generate which for Manziel has included battery, DUI's and scandal.

Anyway, it's not happening (thankfully), and I sincerely hope there's no plan in Von's mind or articulated with Johnny to bring him home to Denver after DWTS concludes. I hope it all goes away.

I don't think Von was taking on the role of a treatment provider. Unfortunately many in this thread have said the exact opposite of what someone struggling with addiction needs; support and care from those around them.

We still live in a society where being a "junkie" "alcoholic" is a moral failure, not recognizing it as a disease.

Research shows that bonding is one of the most important factors for sustaining recovery from addiction.

If Von would have opened his doors to JM to provide support and help, kudos to him.

We need more people like that in our world.

L.M.
04-11-2016, 12:52 PM
I don't think Von was taking on the role of a treatment provider. Unfortunately many in this thread have said the exact opposite of what someone struggling with addiction needs; support and care from those around them.

We still live in a society where being a "junkie" "alcoholic" is a moral failure, not recognizing it as a disease.

Research shows that bonding is one of the most important factors for sustaining recovery from addiction.

If Von would have opened his doors to JM to provide support and help, kudos to him.

We need more people like that in our world.

No, this is not how you treat someone who is at this stage of the problem. You don't move them into your home. And Von would be a de facto treatment provider by doing that for which he is unqualified. Friendship and support can be extended to him while he's in rehab and that would be a good thing.

xX-Bronco-Xx
04-11-2016, 12:56 PM
It's a lie.

Not true.

Phony.

No Money.

False.

No.

Gbt31
04-11-2016, 01:17 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9271/johnny-manziel

ESPN reports free agent Johnny Manziel is living with Josh Gordon.

Manziel's assertion that he was living with Von Miller was quickly refuted, but this is more believable since it's not coming from the quarterback himself. If true, it's a bad look for Gordon, who, unlike Manziel, had at least created the impression he's gotten his life in order. If Manziel's recent TMZ interview is any indication, his seems to be spiraling further out of control. It's extremely unlikely Manziel makes any 2016 appearances. Apr 11 - 2:45 PM

Dennis.1960
04-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Wow...this kid is a train wreck :goofy:

Houshmazode
04-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Josh Gordon :laugh:

Ok, no hope for Manziel.

KansasKrista
04-11-2016, 01:36 PM
I agree.

It's really disappointing to read the tone and tenor of comments on this Thread. It's great to read a message and reminder of simply "Doing the right thing".

Oh please. I've dealt personally with addictive situations, I know first hand how doing the "right thing" can actually be very harmful sometimes. And that is because a well intentioned friend can actually do more harm than good with their idea of what is right. As others have written, Manziel needs rehab.. Anything less is not truly helping the guy.

I don't think anyone is saying Miller should cut off ties if Manziel is in rehab and making true strides to turn his life around. But, until Manziel decides he actually has a problem and needs serious help, most of those well intentioned friends are just enablers.
An addict who doesn't think he or she has a problem is sort of like a tornado that takes down everything in its path... Even the innocent well intentioned friends and family can get caught up in the destruction. There is nothing wrong with someone recognizing the truth and protecting themselves and the addict!!

I didn't really read anything in this thread that seemed worthy of your judgment and disappointment. I did read many responses from some who seemed to actually know what they were talking about and had some wisdom to share.

ELWAY421
04-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Josh Gordon :laugh:

Ok, no hope for Manziel.

Or vise versa lol. And... that's saying a lot

rst08tierney
04-11-2016, 03:30 PM
It's a lie.

Not true.

Phony.

No Money.

False.

No.

this right here /thread

broncolassiter
04-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Oh please. I've dealt personally with addictive situations, I know first hand how doing the "right thing" can actually be very harmful sometimes. And that is because a well intentioned friend can actually do more harm than good with their idea of what is right. As others have written, Manziel needs rehab.. Anything less is not truly helping the guy.

I don't think anyone is saying Miller should cut off ties if Manziel is in rehab and making true strides to turn his life around. But, until Manziel decides he actually has a problem and needs serious help, most of those well intentioned friends are just enablers.
An addict who doesn't think he or she has a problem is sort of like a tornado that takes down everything in its path... Even the innocent well intentioned friends and family can get caught up in the destruction. There is nothing wrong with someone recognizing the truth and protecting themselves and the addict!!

I didn't really read anything in this thread that seemed worthy of your judgment and disappointment. I did read many responses from some who seemed to actually know what they were talking about and had some wisdom to share.

Rehab at this point of Manziel's life would be pointless. At this time by his own testimony, he does not see the downfall of his life style. In order for rehab to have a chance, the individual must have some conscious thought of where their choices may leed them. Manziel said he sees nothing wrong with his life style. If Von was to give him shelter he could be enabling his friends lifestyle rather than changing it. Manziel needs to hit bottom or what he feels is bottom in order to turn his life around.

L.M.
04-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Rehab at this point of Manziel's life would be pointless. At this time by his own testimony, he does not see the downfall of his life style. In order for rehab to have a chance, the individual must have some conscious thought of where their choices may leed them. Manziel said he sees nothing wrong with his life style. If Von was to give him shelter he could be enabling his friends lifestyle rather than changing it. Manziel needs to hit bottom or what he feels is bottom in order to turn his life around.

That's true. He was in rehab a year ago, and it didn't work because he wasn't at what's sometimes referred to as 'emotional threshold' where he knows he must change. He's in the common self-deception of addicts that he can control it -that's the upshot of his comment "I don't think there's anything wrong with partying, bro, there's a difference between partying and getting out of control". Alcoholics can't just have one drink, they have to have fifty!

L.M.
04-11-2016, 04:18 PM
Von Miller's Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BEEu12wm0El/?taken-by=vonmiller&hl=en) today:

vonmiller Lol, you guys are HILARIOUS!!! Haha, I love it. Johnny's not staying with me but he is my BROTHER! Like I've said a thousand times, I got his back no matter what! #LOVE #gigem @jmanziel2

http://sportsdaydfw.imgix.net/1460348118-roomates.jpg?q=50&auto=format&w=900

Gbt31
04-11-2016, 04:22 PM

Sadly, I think he is so delusional that I don't believe he will ever be cognizant of him actually hitting rock bottom. He is a strange bird.

CanDB
04-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Manziel's got huge issues. Josh Gordon is wasting away his potentially fantastic career over drugs. Dude, when you have a test coming, "study" for it!!!! Oh I see, the masking didn't work.

Lumiere
04-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Von Miller's Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BEEu12wm0El/?taken-by=vonmiller&hl=en) today:

vonmiller Lol, you guys are HILARIOUS!!! Haha, I love it. Johnny's not staying with me but he is my BROTHER! Like I've said a thousand times, I got his back no matter what! #LOVE #gigem @jmanziel2

http://sportsdaydfw.imgix.net/1460348118-roomates.jpg?q=50&auto=format&w=900

Manziel was probably just thinking, "It's Miller Time," and confused a beer with a 6'3" ripped linebacker.

broncoslover115
04-11-2016, 04:45 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9271/johnny-manziel

ESPN reports free agent Johnny Manziel is living with Josh Gordon.

Manziel's assertion that he was living with Von Miller was quickly refuted, but this is more believable since it's not coming from the quarterback himself. If true, it's a bad look for Gordon, who, unlike Manziel, had at least created the impression he's gotten his life in order. If Manziel's recent TMZ interview is any indication, his seems to be spiraling further out of control. It's extremely unlikely Manziel makes any 2016 appearances. Apr 11 - 2:45 PM

http://deadspin.com/report-former-brown-johnny-manziel-is-living-with-susp-1770331827

However, sources tell ESPN that the quarterback is actually not living with Miller. Instead, the sources say, Manziel is living with Cleveland wide receiver Josh Gordon in an apartment off of Sunset Boulevard.

Gordon has been suspended by the NFL three times for violating the substance-abuse policy, and is still in limbo after applying for reinstatement for the 2016 season. Manziel has domestic abuse allegations hanging over his head and a history of going to extreme measures in order to party, which would be whimsical if it weren’t so painfully clear that he has a legitimate substance-abuse problem of his own.

The Browns cut Manziel in March in order to get away from him, and also because he was bad. And here the two are, with the Browns facing the prospect that one of their players—possibly on his final chance for staying in the league—is living with a player they gave too many chances to.

BREAKING NEWS

ESPN just reported this a minute ago...that Josh Gordon failed his drug test and tested positive for marijuana and something else. Sorry, I could not catch the last few words that the reporter said and there is no link to the story yet.

This is what addiction is and does to people's lives. Gordon applied for reinstatement after a year long suspension and was not able to stop using drugs, even for a brief period of time, in order to secure employment again. Addiction is a horrible disease. It wrecks and ruins lives. It can take everything away from you.

Johnny Manziel and Josh Gordon allegedly living together is even worse than Johnny Manziel and Von Miller living together. (Which we know is not true).

I hope and pray that both of these guys eventually get the help that they need. When addiction goes unchecked and unaddressed it does not end well for anyone. But know, addiction is not about being morally bankrupt, it is about being sick.

It is often mistakenly assumed that drug abusers and alcoholics lack moral principles or willpower and that they could stop using drugs or stop drinking simply by choosing to change their behavior. In reality, addiction is a complex disease, and quitting takes more than good intentions or a strong will. In fact, because drugs and alcohol change the brain in ways that foster compulsive drug abuse, quitting is difficult, even for those who are ready to do so. It's chronic and causes compulsive use, despite the many harmful consequences.

These guys are in some serious trouble. Man oh man, I hope someone steps in and orchestrates an intervention on their behalf because it is obvious their lives are spiraling out of control and their lives have become unmanageable.

PAINTERDAVE
04-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Manzel can't be living at Von's house..
I AM LIVING AT VON"S HOUSE.
-
No, wait... that's a lie.
-
I'm living at KUBIAK"S HOUSE.
That's right... me and Kubes chillaxing wit a cold road pop at the pool.
Yeah.. that's the ticket.
-
It's all about ME.
-
ME I tell you.
-
and NO... my HEAD is not TOO BIG to get into that argyle sweater.

L.M.
04-11-2016, 05:24 PM
BREAKING NEWS

ESPN just reported this a minute ago...that Josh Gordon failed his drug test and tested positive for marijuana and something else. Sorry, I could not catch the last few words that the reporter said and there is no link to the story yet.

Here it is:

Suspended Josh Gordon reportedly fails another drug test
7:33 PM ET

Suspended Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon failed a drug test last month, according to multiple reports.

Fox Sports, which first reported the news, cited a source informed of the test results that Gordon's sample was positive for marijuana and dilute. Both Gordon's "A" and "B" samples were positive for marijuana and dilute, Fox Sports reported. According to the report, the level of marijuana in the wide receiver's system was below the 35 nanogram threshold, but the diluted sample is the same as a positive test by the NFL's standards.

Gordon took to Twitter shortly after the reports surfaced and appeared unconcerned.

Flash Gordon✔‎@JOSH_GORDONXII

Call me if u need a real story worth writing.. ��
4:38 PM - 11 Apr 2016

The news comes on the heels of sources telling ESPN that Gordon is living with former Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel off of Sunset Boulevard. Manziel had told TMZ that he was living with Von Miller. The Denver Broncos linebacker said in an Instagram post Monday that Manziel wasn't living with him, but the quarterback was his "brother" and he has his back.

Manziel, who went to rehab last year, told TMZ he had been out in West Hollywood five to six nights in a row, and said he doesn't think NFL teams have a problem with his partying.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with partying, bro," Manziel said. "There's a difference between partying and being out of control."

Gordon, who has been suspended since last February, applied to the league for reinstatement earlier this year, formally asking commissioner Roger Goodell to allow him back.

Though it was widely noted that the NFL would have 60 days to make a decision on Gordon's reinstatement, an NFL spokesman clarified the timeline to ESPN's Field Yates last month, saying: "There is no requirement that a reinstatement decision be made in 60 days. We endeavor to develop the necessary information to make a decision in that time frame, but the actual decisions are made when appropriate."

Gordon, who was suspended for multiple violations of the league's substance abuse policy, failed an alcohol test last year, wiping out the talented receiver's 2015 season.

At the NFL's owners meetings last month, Browns coach Hue Jackson and director of football operations Sashi Brown said the team needed to have a conversation with Gordon if he was reinstated to determine his frame of mind before deciding whether he would be back with the Browns.

Gordon, 24, made the Pro Bowl in 2013 when he led the league with 1,646 yards receiving despite playing just 14 games. Gordon also had nine touchdowns that season.

However, he hasn't been able to stay out of trouble.

After Gordon pleaded guilty to driving while impaired on July 5, 2014, in Raleigh, North Carolina, he was required to submit to alcohol testing under the third stage of the league's mandated program. Gordon said he drank on a flight to Las Vegas a few days after the 2014 season ended and failed a subsequent test. Gordon had assumed any restrictions ended after the season, but he didn't clarify that with the league.

Gordon was initially suspended for the 2014 season after testing positive for marijuana. His penalty was later reduced to 10 games after the league and NFLPA changed their substance abuse policies. Gordon had to sit out two games in 2013 for a failed drug test, which he blamed on taking prescription cough medicine.

Information from ESPN's Pat McManamon and The Associated Press was used in this report.
Sponsored Headlines

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15185642/suspended-josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-fails-drug-test

TH3JUICEMAN
04-11-2016, 07:06 PM
No, this is not how you treat someone who is at this stage of the problem. You don't move them into your home. And Von would be a de facto treatment provider by doing that for which he is unqualified. Friendship and support can be extended to him while he's in rehab and that would be a good thing.

You're right, if they're not ready you just let them get deeper until they're either incarcerated or dead /s.

Fwiw, I'm an counselor specializing in addiction treatment as well as in long term recovery myself. If those who cared about me let me continue down that path without showing me love and care, I have no doubt I'd be dead. My story is no different than millions of others in long term recovery.

Again, unfortunately we've come to a place where if you have addiction issues, we cut ties until you're healthy. I'm sure you wouldn't do that to a person with depression, bipolar, diabetes, etc.

Maybe that's one reason addiction is such a pervasive and difficult illness to treat. We treat those with it different then any other disease in the world.

broncoslover115
04-11-2016, 07:59 PM
You're right, if they're not ready you just let them get deeper until they're either incarcerated or dead /s.

Fwiw, I'm an counselor specializing in addiction treatment as well as in long term recovery myself. If those who cared about me let me continue down that path without showing me love and care, I have no doubt I'd be dead. My story is no different than millions of others in long term recovery.

Again, unfortunately we've come to a place where if you have addiction issues, we cut ties until you're healthy. I'm sure you wouldn't do that to a person with depression, bipolar, diabetes, etc.

Maybe that's one reason addiction is such a pervasive and difficult illness to treat. We treat those with it different then any other disease in the world.

I'm a little confused by your post. First off, congratulations on remaining clean and sober for all the years you have. It is no easy feat and I commend you for the work you have put in to remain as such.

So, what I'm confused about is this. I'm not hearing anyone saying that the best thing is to cut ties with anyone at all. Actually, I haven't read one post that suggested that at all. I also haven't read one post saying that you stop loving the person or that you stop caring about the person.

What I have read is that it is not a good idea to have an active, raging, spiraling out of control alcoholic (Johnny Manziel) living with another spiraling out of control drug addict (Josh Gordon).

There are many other ways to support an addict without cutting ties and without living with them. You can take them to meetings, you can take them to therapy appointments. You can attempt to hook them up with a sponsor. You can talk to them. You can tell them that you are there for them.

Not bringing an active raging, spiraling out of control addict into your home does not equate to cutting ties with someone.

TH3JUICEMAN
04-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Two active individuals struggling with addiction living together = bad

Von, while having his own issues in the PAST, possibly opening his door to JM to offer support = good for him.

Modeling behavior can be a powerful tool for change. If Johnny isn't ready for treatment, meetings, etc, maybe being around a positive influence could help push him into contemplation (stages of change) and eventually engaging in treatment.

Chronoless
04-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Two active individuals struggling with addiction living together = bad

Von, while having his own issues in the PAST, possibly opening his door to JM to offer support = good for him.

Modeling behavior can be a powerful tool for change. If Johnny isn't ready for treatment, meetings, etc, maybe being around a positive influence could help push him into contemplation (stages of change) and eventually engaging in treatment.

Or it could be the other way around, and Miller starts smoking weed again and partying with JM and missing meeting. Because you know...... to be able to help someone, they must be willing to be helped, that is why there are alot of Drug addicts that never recover.

I'm okay with Von showing support for JM, but I don't wanna see him hanging out with JM every day or during the Regular season at a Bar. JM almost cost VM some money if he really was living with Miller. Because I doubt Elway would feel good knowing the Player he is about to hand the franchise too is living with the screw up, who can't stop screwing up, when VM has worked so hard to get out of the program.

JG's fate might be VM's fate, if things go wrong

BroncoNTemecula
04-12-2016, 05:42 AM

Having lived through this recently, this statement hit a nerve. Addicts are terrible abusers and often severely impact life long friends and family lives forever. The natural reaction to being abused is to flee the abuse. I not sure addicts deserve much sympathy

Rastic
04-12-2016, 05:50 AM
Having lived through this recently, this statement hit a nerve. Addicts are terrible abusers and often severely impact life long friends and family lives forever. The natural reaction to being abused is to flee the abuse. I not sure addicts deserve much sympathy

Oh, I would disagree. Addicts do deserve some sympathy but that should not be confused for being tough and refusing to be manipulated.

Sympathy does not equal weakness but it can lead to that if one does not understand or underestimates what they are dealing with.

broncoslover115
04-12-2016, 06:05 AM

Sounds like you've had a rough go of it lately. I hope you're doing OK and that things have settled down for you.

I completely agree with your statement in terms of the impact of addiction on everyone around them. That is why they call it a family disease. If a person is unwilling to seek the help they need, it is very tough to want to continue to offer support. There's always that fine line between offering support and being an enabler.

Addiction and alcoholism is a very complex disease that creates a compulsive desire to continue using regardless of the consequences. I can completely understand your desire to flee if the person is not interested in getting sober.

Oh, I would disagree. Addicts do deserve some sympathy but that should not be confused for being tough and refusing to be manipulated.

Sympathy does not equal weakness but it can lead to that if one does not understand or underestimates what they are dealing with.

I come from the viewpoint that alcoholism is a disease and that the person isn't using because they are morally bankrupt. I believe that It is often mistakenly assumed that drug abusers and alcoholics lack moral principles or willpower and that they could stop using drugs or stop drinking simply by choosing to change their behavior. In reality, addiction is a complex disease, and quitting takes more than good intentions or a strong will. In fact, because drugs and alcohol change the brain in ways that foster compulsive drug abuse, quitting is difficult, even for those who are ready to do so. It's chronic and causes compulsive use, despite the many harmful consequences.

Therefore having sympathy, or empathy is the word I would use, is warranted just like we would with someone who has cancer or any other disease that one is fighting with.

FR Tim
04-12-2016, 06:28 AM
I can appreciate the compassion for supporting and wanting to help an addict. But the reality is not easy or fair. Until the addict makes the decision (sometimes repeatedly) to change there is likely not going to be change.

Goes to the saying "the counselor can not be working harder then the patient"

From Manziel's own words he is not working very hard or willing to change. Miller and Manziel's family can want him to change all they want but until he starts taking steps it is a a waste to expect any positive results.

Manziel standing outside a club intoxicated and telling the camera "I'm not drunk, I'm just chillin here 5 or 6 nights this week" does not speak to someone trying to change his life. Especially considering he has considerable legal, career and financial elements at stake. He apparently is still not getting it.

Sadly, Manziel is not ready for change and Miller has a career and personal issues at stake too. He can be supportive and a good friend but at all costs needs to stay out of the whirlwind that is the destructive force of an addict.

I too have been on both sides of this issue. There came a time when I literally had to walk away from friends I knew since grade school. Over 25 years of friendships was abandoned because I could not be around their behavior and lifestyle. I had to change, they didn't see a problem. A couple still don't 20 years later. It's sad.

Miller can be supportive but I hope from a distance. All it takes is for him to be in the vicinity when Manziel has his next incident. Even the peace keepers tend to get caught in compromising situations. Miller is the face of a franchise now. He needs to be a professional even off the clock. Miller needs to decide does he emulate Manning or Manzeil. What does he want his legacy to be.

broncoslover115
04-12-2016, 07:10 AM
I can appreciate the compassion for supporting and wanting to help an addict. But the reality is not easy or fair. Until the addict makes the decision (sometimes repeatedly) to change there is likely not going to be change.

Goes to the saying "the counselor can not be working harder then the patient"

From Manziel's own words he is not working very hard or willing to change. Miller and Manziel's family can want him to change all they want but until he starts taking steps it is a a waste to expect any positive results.

Manziel standing outside a club intoxicated and telling the camera "I'm not drunk, I'm just chillin here 5 or 6 nights this week" does not speak to someone trying to change his life. Especially considering he has considerable legal, career and financial elements at stake. He apparently is still not getting it.

Sadly, Manziel is not ready for change and Miller has a career and personal issues at stake too. He can be supportive and a good friend but at all costs needs to stay out of the whirlwind that is the destructive force of an addict.

I too have been on both sides of this issue. There came a time when I literally had to walk away from friends I knew since grade school. Over 25 years of friendships was abandoned because I could not be around their behavior and lifestyle. I had to change, they didn't see a problem. A couple still don't 20 years later. It's sad.

Miller can be supportive but I hope from a distance. All it takes is for him to be in the vicinity when Manziel has his next incident. Even the peace keepers tend to get caught in compromising situations. Miller is the face of a franchise now. He needs to be a professional even off the clock. Miller needs to decide does he emulate Manning or Manzeil. What does he want his legacy to be.

Completely spot on FR Tim. First, I'm sure it was difficult to walk away from your friends after such a long time. That is not an easy thing to do. But a necessary step nonetheless.

The one element you brought up which I don't believe has been mentioned, is that Von is now the face of the Broncos and he needs to be careful who he associates with.

Like you said, if hes around JM if he gets into trouble again, that would not bode well for Von or the Broncos; even if he has nothing to do with whatever JM gets into trouble for.

one_bad_55
04-12-2016, 07:55 AM
When I was dealing with my addiction at about the same age as JM I had to abandon some friendships that enabled/pressured me to drink while I was trying to quit. I think for me removing myself from those situations allowed me to get a grip on what I was dealing with and realize that I could function without drinking. I realized that drinking NEVER FIXED anything for me and actually made things worse so the sooner I could give it up the better I would be.

Once I was comfortable with not drinking then I could be around alcohol without wanting it. I do not care if people drink around me I just know that it is not for me.

JM is not ready but still needs support to get him to realize he has a problem that is changing his life for the worse. When he comes to grips that he has a problem he will probably find that some of his friendships are making his problems worse. Hanging out with JG is not a great idea for two people struggling with addiction.

xX-Bronco-Xx
04-12-2016, 08:02 AM
I mean judging from the TMZ interview where he said he was living with Von, he was clearly high on something..

TheAsianPA
04-12-2016, 08:04 AM
How is Manziel living with Von if Von is living in houses set up for Dancing with the Stars?

samparnell
04-12-2016, 08:07 AM
How is Manziel living with Von if Von is living in houses set up for Dancing with the Stars?

I don't think he is.

ebsoria
04-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Von Miller has said Johhhny isn't staying with him. Johnny isn't a Bronco. Getting too political. Thread closed and done and moved.

EddieMac
04-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Von Miller has said Johhhny isn't staying with him. Johnny isn't a Bronco. Getting too political. Thread closed and done and moved.

Johnny Football is laying low in Canada...living with Rem! :thumb:

Peanut
04-12-2016, 01:04 PM
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/johnny-manziel-apologized-von-miller-instagram-living-together

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/11/report-johnny-manziel-actually-living-with-josh-gordon/

I would like to thank those of you who have shared your personal stories.

:salute: