PDA

View Full Version : American football in Poland

PolishFan
04-20-2016, 05:25 AM
First of all I want to thanks Peanut for move my welcome post to the right place and show me correct forum when I can tell You something about American football in Poland. Maybe some of You will be interested ;)

Let's start!

For many people in USA American football is kind of religion. In Poland it's not popular game. First American football team (Warsaw Eagles) was founded at 1999 (that year Broncos won Super Bowl XXXIII :goz:). First games they played on the old stadium of Hutnik Warszawa (soccer team).

http://zwiedzamstadiony.pl/zd/stadionhutnikawarszawa4.jpg

Warsaw Eagles were first champions of Polish American Football League (Polska Liga Futbolu Amerykańskiego). In the first year they participated 4 teams:
1. Warsaw Eagles
2. Pomorze Seahawks (now Seahawks Gdynia)
3. The Crew Wrocław (now Panthers Wrocław after fusion with Devils Wrocław)
4. KFA Wielkopolska (Poznań, non-existent)

In the final game Warsaw Eagles beat Pomorze Seahawks 34:6. The game was played in Warsaw at the Marymont Stadium in the presence of 1300 fans. It was in 2006.

http://xenna.com.pl/images/material/zol%20rower4.JPG

After 10 years since the establishment of Polish league, American football in Poland has expanded considerably. In the highest level of competitions (TopLiga) there are 7 teams. In PLFA I (second lvl) there are 10 teams and 24 teams in PLFA II (third lvl). Only in Warsaw we have 4 teams:
- Warsaw Eagles,
- Warsaw Sharks,
- Warsaw Dukes,
- Crusaders Warszawa.

More information soon :salute:

Broncbeat
04-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Wow I did not know Poland had such a following in American football. Great to know my home land has done this :)

AZ Snake Fan
04-20-2016, 05:27 PM

Welcome to Broncos Country !!! :D
:beer:

Rastic
04-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Dobro pazhalovat! (or how ever they say it in your neck of the woods!)

PAINTERDAVE
04-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Very cool. Thank you for sharing.

Rancid
04-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Warsaw seems to be the scene for Football.

Do they play by the same rules as the NFL or have they changed anything?

PolishFan
04-21-2016, 02:36 AM
@Broncbeat American football still expands in all Europe :-) but I think will be never such popular like a soccer.
@AZ Snake Fan cheers! :beer:
@Rastic it is in Russian language :-) believe me Polish and Russian are very different languages. In Polish it will be "witam" (welcome!) :-)
@Painterdave Thank You!
@Rancid Yes in Warsaw we have many unused stadiums. Most of them are very small with max capacity about 1000-2000 seats. There is a lof of places to play football. I hope this game will still expand in Warsaw and whole Poland. Since this year one of tv stations transmits NFL so I could watch SuperBowl 50. About rules: I don't know all of them but everything seems to be the same :-)

The proof that football in Poland has evolved in recent years. Remember the picture of the stadium, which was played first Polish Cup final? It was in 2006. Below is a picture of the SuperFinal VII in 2012.

http://m.natemat.pl/a4e4ae3d7aa30564c46ec71a82f8acf3,641,0,0,0.jpg

This time Seahawks Gdynia beat Warsaw Eagles 52:37. The game was played at the national stadium in Warsaw in the presence of 23 000 fans (all available tickets was sold. It was a record attendance in history of Polish league!).

Peanut
04-21-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the information, PolishFan. It's cool how you have your own league. Hopefully, you all will find it just as enjoyable as we do and it continues to grow.

My mother-in-law's family was from Poland. Husband likes to reminisce about his grandparents and the wonderful food his grandmother would make.

PolishFan
04-25-2016, 04:47 AM
Hello again! :salute:

Today I want to tell You about the biggest American football event in Poland that took place on 09/01/2012.

http://www.pgenarodowy.pl/upload/editor/image/b2_1572748482.jpg

It was game USA vs Europan Union played on National Stadium in Warsaw in the presence of more then 25 000 supporters. It was my first contact with American football in my life! :) I didn't know any rules so I had to read wikipedia each action. I was trying to understand what are they doing. It wasn't easy but I had great time.

The match ended with a result of 34-7 for the USA and the MVP was Clarence Anderson from USA (Warsaw Eagles player that time).
http://www.pgenarodowy.pl/upload/editor/image/b2_1178935763.jpg
In America he was playing only for small college team but in Poland he was one of the best players in the league. Europe was represented by players from 10 countries. You see the difference between USA and European players is huge.

George St Lawrence was coach of USA team. Do You know this man? Is he famous football coach in USA?

PS. Of course I was supporting USA team! :usa:

PAINTERDAVE
04-25-2016, 06:29 PM
That is awesome. Made me smile.
-
So.. you never answered...
Same rules as the NFL?

Broncbeat
04-26-2016, 07:59 AM
@Broncbeat American football still expands in all Europe :-) but I think will be never such popular like a soccer.
@AZ Snake Fan cheers! :beer:
@Rastic it is in Russian language :-) believe me Polish and Russian are very different languages. In Polish it will be "witam" (welcome!) :-)
@Painterdave Thank You!
@Rancid Yes in Warsaw we have many unused stadiums. Most of them are very small with max capacity about 1000-2000 seats. There is a lof of places to play football. I hope this game will still expand in Warsaw and whole Poland. Since this year one of tv stations transmits NFL so I could watch SuperBowl 50. About rules: I don't know all of them but everything seems to be the same :-)

The proof that football in Poland has evolved in recent years. Remember the picture of the stadium, which was played first Polish Cup final? It was in 2006. Below is a picture of the SuperFinal VII in 2012.

http://m.natemat.pl/a4e4ae3d7aa30564c46ec71a82f8acf3,641,0,0,0.jpg

This time Seahawks Gdynia beat Warsaw Eagles 52:37. The game was played at the national stadium in Warsaw in the presence of 23 000 fans (all available tickets was sold. It was a record attendance in history of Polish league!).

That is awesome. Made me smile.
-
So.. you never answered...
Same rules as the NFL?

You must have just miss it but I bolded it for you.