PDA

View Full Version : Browns Trade The #2 To The Eagles

ELWAY421
04-20-2016, 11:08 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15280364/cleveland-browns-trade-no-2-pick-draft-philadelphia-eagles-five-picks

If you ask me Cleveland made out on this trade. It also looks like the Browns weren't in love with Wentz or Goff.

Jermz79
04-20-2016, 11:12 AM
The Browns definitely made out in this trade .... Philly only moves up 6 picks and they had to give up their 8th overall this year AND their first in 2017 ... plus a 3 & 4 this year and a 2 in 2018!!!!!

SHEEEEEEEEESH!!!

kingelway7
04-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Eagles get: 2016 1st RD (#2), 2017 4th RD.

Browns get: 2016 1st RD (#8), 2016 3rd RD (#77), 2016 4th RD (#100), 2017 1st RD, 2018 2nd RD.

This trade makes the Rams deal for the #1 looks like a steal.

This Eagles are totally overhauling their entire team.

DeMarco Murray to Titans. Mark Sanchez to Broncos. Maxwell/Alonso to Miami. And now this...

ELWAY421
04-20-2016, 11:15 AM
The Browns definitely made out in this trade .... Philly only moves up 6 picks and they had to give up their 8th overall this year AND their first in 2017 ... plus a 3 & 4 this year and a 2 in 2018!!!!!

SHEEEEEEEEESH!!!

Now watch the Browns grab Lynch at 8 lol.

Jermz79
04-20-2016, 11:21 AM

I hope not but can totally see it! I feel bad for any QB that goes to Cleveland .... really bad!

Orangecrush21
04-20-2016, 11:22 AM
The Eagles just traded up for the number two spot in the draft. What are the odds that they take a QB and if they do, could the Broncos potentially trade for Bradford or Chase Daniels?

Gbt31
04-20-2016, 11:26 AM
The Eagles just traded up for the number two spot in the draft. What are the odds that they take a QB and if they do, could the Broncos potentially trade for Bradford or Chase Daniels?

Not under those contacts. Lets keep just roll with Sanchez for a year and see what pans out next year. One of them will be cut if they are actually targeting Wentz....but who knows, the maybe are targeting Elliott. Dumb to trade that much for a RB....but it is the Eagles.

kingelway7
04-20-2016, 11:29 AM
I hope not but can totally see it! I feel bad for any QB that goes to Cleveland .... really bad!

Cleveland Browns Starting QBs 1999-2015

Tim Couch
Ty Detmer
Doug Pederson
Sergon Wynn
Kelly Holcomb
Jeff Garcia
Luke McCown
Trent Dilfer
Charlie Frye
Derek Anderson
Brady Quinn
Ken Dorsey
Bruce Gradkowski
Colt McCoy
Jake Delhomme
Seneca Wallce
Bradon Weeden
Thad Lewis
Jason Campbell
Brian Hoyer
Johnny Manziel
Connor Shaw
Josh McCown
Austin Davis

Only Tim Couch in 2001 started every game of the entire season since the Browns returned to Cleveland in 1999. Bernie Kosar and Tim Couch are the only Browns QBs that have started all 16 games in a season for the Browns since 1984.

ELWAY421
04-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Cleveland Browns Starting QBs 1999-2015

Tim Couch
Ty Detmer
Doug Pederson
Sergon Wynn
Kelly Holcomb
Jeff Garcia
Luke McCown
Trent Dilfer
Charlie Frye
Derek Anderson
Brady Quinn
Ken Dorsey
Bruce Gradkowski
Colt McCoy
Jake Delhomme
Seneca Wallce
Bradon Weeden
Thad Lewis
Jason Campbell
Brian Hoyer
Johnny Manziel
Connor Shaw
Josh McCown
Austin Davis

Only Tim Couch in 2001 started every game of the entire season since the Browns returned to Cleveland in 1999. Bernie Kosar and Tim Couch are the only Browns QBs that have started all 16 games in a season for the Browns since 1984.

By far the most terrible team when it comes to drafting since they've returned to Cleveland. It's like they are cursed because they've had different owners, coaches ect.. Could've had Big Ben, Julio Jones, Derrick Carr and so many more great players instead they draft players like Mingo. I really do like Hugh Jackson though, and if given time he could right the ship imo.

xX-Bronco-Xx
04-20-2016, 11:41 AM
The Browns have always made good trades in majority of their recent drafts. The biggest issue for them is they draft the worst possible people at those picks... I wonder if that tradition will stay the same?

ELWAY421
04-20-2016, 11:47 AM
The Browns have always made good trades in majority of their recent drafts. The biggest issue for them is they draft the worst possible people at those picks... I wonder if that tradition will stay the same?

Can't go wrong with Ezekiel Elliot lol.

L.M.
04-20-2016, 11:57 AM
This trade makes the Rams deal for the #1 looks like a steal.

This Eagles are totally overhauling their entire team.

DeMarco Murray to Titans. Mark Sanchez to Broncos. Maxwell/Alonso to Miami. And now this...

Pretty poor way to overhaul a team by bankrupting its draft pool for a couple of years. Some GM's are just insane!

DenverBlood
04-20-2016, 12:01 PM

Once upon a time I said the same thing with Trent Richardson to Cleveland.

I'm sure you feel like Elliot is far superior to Richardson but at one point I too thought Richardson was superior to anyone else they could get at RB.

I actually don't think Elliot is anything like Trent. But my point is it's Cleveland. I wouldn't assume anyone can succeed there.

I saw this talk about Big Ben could've been with the Browns. But I wonder if they consider how much coaching and development and good team culture has played a part in who Big Ben has become today?

It's very possible that if Big Ben had been drafted by Cleveland that his name would be on that list of busts.

BroncoFanBoy
04-20-2016, 12:02 PM
They better be 100% sure they know who the Rams will take at 1. Either that or they like both Wentz and Goff. IMO, one of those teams will get a franchise QB (Wentz) and the other one will get one who will be okay in the NFL, but they'll look for his replacement later on. (Goff)

xX-Bronco-Xx
04-20-2016, 12:04 PM

With their dumb moneyball analytics I wouldn't be surprised if they select Eli Apple lol....

ELWAY421
04-20-2016, 12:09 PM
Once upon a time I said the same thing with Trent Richardson to Cleveland.

I'm sure you feel like Elliot is far superior to Richardson but at one point I too thought Richardson was superior to anyone else they could get at RB.

I actually don't think Elliot is anything like Trent. But my point is it's Cleveland. I wouldn't assume anyone can succeed there.

I saw this talk about Big Ben could've been with the Browns. But I wonder if they consider how much coaching and development and good team culture has played a part in who Big Ben has become today?

It's very possible that if Big Ben had been drafted by Cleveland that his name would be on that list of busts.

I understand what you're saying. I was just kind of talking crap. If they are starting over which is what it looks like to me they should build inside out. Start with the interior lines.

Taos_Broncomaniac
04-20-2016, 12:10 PM
The top of the 2016 NFL Draft has been shaken up again. This time around, it's the Philadelphia Eagles making a bold gambit to change the future of their franchise.

The Eagles acquired the No. 2 overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft in a trade with the Cleveland Browns on Wednesday, the Eagles announced. The Browns will receive Philadelphia's No. 8 overall pick, third- and fourth-round picks in this draft, next year's first round pick, and a second-round pick in 2018. The Eagles also got back the Browns' fourth-round pick next season.

The Eagles are making this pick to draft a quarterback, executive vice president Howie Roseman confirmed in a news conference Wednesday. We'll have to wait to find out which quarterback it will be. The Los Angeles Rams traded up with Tennessee less than a week ago in a blockbuster deal that resulted in the Rams acquiring the No. 1 overall pick. California quarterback Jared Goff and North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz are now fully expected to be the first two selections of the draft. NFL Media's Michael Silver has indicated Goff is the likely choice to go first to the Rams.

The Eagles would clearly not make this deal if they didn't fully believe in both quarterbacks. They might have a good read on what the Rams will do at No. 1, but you don't make a franchise-altering move like this unless you are fully on board with either quarterback.

Eagles executive vice president Howie Roseman confirmed they are looking to draft a quarterback, and that they are "comfortable" with either Goff or Wentz.

"It's hard to be great if you don't take some risks," Roseman said.

This marks yet another bold move by Roseman since he took the reigns of the organization back from former coach Chip Kelly. It certainly gives the Eagles a loaded quarterback room. Sam Bradford -- a former No. 1 overall pick himself -- is set to make $18 million this year as the team's presumptive starter. Chase Daniel, who was the backup in Kansas City last season, is one of the highest-paid backups in the league.

The Eagles are already talking up the benefits of sitting a rookie quarterback for a year and possibly two, citing Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers, and Aaron Rodgers as quarterbacks that had the luxury to start their careers on the bench.

Now both Bradford and Daniel will be expected to keep the seat warm until the "quarterback of the future‚€Ě‚€” presumably Wentz -- is ready. Bradford is essentially in Philadelphia on a one-year deal. He could wind up being traded next offseason, with Daniel in place as the Eagles' long-term backup.

While the Eagles have an enviable "problem" with too many quarterbacks, the Browns are still searching for one to believe in. Josh McCown and Robert Griffin III are in place in Cleveland. The Browns would not make this move if they were truly in love with both Goff and Wentz. Perhaps the Rams' trade really did box in Cleveland. Silver has reported that the Browns preferred Goff, and his expected choice at No. 1 had them re-evaluating the options of this draft.

Cleveland's roster has so many problems that we can't fault them for making a safe trade. They still get the No. 8 overall pick this season, and pick up an extra first-, second-, and third-round picks. They very well might draft a quarterback later in this draft, and can continue to fill out their roster with extra picks over the next few years.

The Browns are just starting a full-scale rebuild and will try to improve their overall team first before finding their quarterback. The Eagles are pushing their chips in the table right now.

Rastic
04-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Pretty poor way to overhaul a team by bankrupting its draft pool for a couple of years. Some GM's are just insane!

Exactly. They may be in full rebuild mode, or not, I don't know. This trade, however, is fueled by nothing more than pure desperation.

They got fleeced so bad by Cleveland is almost criminal.

DenverBlood
04-20-2016, 12:16 PM
They better be 100% sure they know who the Rams will take at 1. Either that or they like both Wentz and Goff. IMO, one of those teams will get a franchise QB (Wentz) and the other one will get one who will be okay in the NFL, but they'll look for his replacement later on. (Goff)

Ummm They already said they are taking whichever of the two is available. Does'nt matter to them which one it is. But they said they are taking a QB with their pick.

DenverBlood
04-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Exactly. They may be in full rebuild mode, or not, I don't know. This trade, however, is fueled by nothing more than pure desperation.

They got fleeced so bad by Cleveland is almost criminal.

You're the second person so suggest the Eagles got screwed more than the Rams did. They didn't give up as much as the Rams did. Rightfully so because they didn't have to jump up as far.

But it's not like they've bankrupted their future anymore than the Rams have. The Rams half their defense to free agency and now don't have a pick between 1 and 144 to replace them with.

Rastic
04-20-2016, 12:25 PM
The Eagles have away too much if you ask me. Can't blame Cleveland.

ELWAY421
04-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Idk? It seems like Chip Kelly is still there to me.

Broncos-R-Great
04-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Wow, the Browns are terrible at making draft picks, every year they have like more draft picks than anybody else yet they continue to suck.

DenverBlood
04-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Idk? It seems like Chip Kelly is still there to me.

I think that was part of his deal with the Niners was he would still have GM control over the Eagles.

CanDB
04-20-2016, 01:31 PM

I just don't see it from a value perspective, but who knows. For me, if they wanted a QB they should have kept their pick, because Lynch seems overvalued at 8. It's great to add picks, but they have to add value. And clearly, Wentz and Goff are the best out there this season.

Then again, maybe you are referring to the Browns' drafting history.

DenverBlood
04-20-2016, 01:35 PM
I just don't see it from a value perspective, but who knows. For me, if they wanted a QB they should have kept their pick, because Lynch seems overvalued at 8. It's great to add picks, but they have to add value. And clearly, Wentz and Goff are the best out there this season.

That's exactly what I said to my brother who thinks there is a good chance they take Lynch now.

samparnell
04-20-2016, 01:47 PM
It's looking like some quality players will fall due to a mini-run on QBs. Denver can probably take BPA and stay true to their board. That would be a good draft; ten quality picks. They would all have a good chance of making the team because there are only about sixty guys currently on the roster. A bunch of UDFAs will need to be signed post-draft to get to ninety for TC.

broncoslover115
04-20-2016, 02:12 PM
So is it true that TEN has something like 7 of the first top 10 picks?

ELWAY421
04-20-2016, 02:23 PM

I've heard pundits say out of all of the QB's he has the most upside. The value comes down to what that particular team and where they have the player on their draft board.

Edit: For the record I agree. Lol. Over the years though it's become pretty common for teams to sell their souls and reach for what they think is their next franchise QB. I think we proved this last year you can win a championship with subpar QB.

listopencil
04-20-2016, 02:50 PM
I just saw this via FB:

http://deadspin.com/browns-trade-second-overall-pick-to-eagles-for-a-buttlo-1772077911

They have to be going after a QB, right? Does that push D-Line talent down towards us? Does that draw QB's up in the draft rankings? Are we looking at a possibility where Connor Cook moves up to #25-ish? I don't want to trade picks for the guy. Screw that. Sign Hoyer as Sanchez's back up and go BPA.

listopencil
04-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Here's a graphic with the trade details:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CggOO5hW8AEhzIU.jpg

listopencil
04-20-2016, 03:26 PM
I was looking at Sam Bradford's contract details. It looks like if we traded for him we'd be on the hook for $7 MIL this year and he has a giant roster bonus next year. I wonder if he'd rework that to something more incentive based and long term team friendly? I also wonder what the Eagles would want, they just lost three 2016 picks and meaningful picks for 2017/2018.

assassin216
04-20-2016, 03:34 PM
I understand what you're saying. I was just kind of talking crap. If they are starting over which is what it looks like to me they should build inside out. Start with the interior lines.

I think that's what they're doing from what I hear from local radio here in Cleveland.

BroncosIsWin
04-20-2016, 03:36 PM
I doubt they part ways with him this year. They'll wait till next year since he's only 7 mil. That's dirt cheap and that'll give the rookie a year to develop.

L.M.
04-20-2016, 03:43 PM

Not this year! The updated order is here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000648677/article/2016-nfl-draft-order-for-all-seven-rounds

DenverBlood
04-20-2016, 03:48 PM

More like they have 0 of the top 10 picks. I hoped that was a sarcastic question.

listopencil
04-20-2016, 04:06 PM
I doubt they part ways with him this year. They'll wait till next year since he's only 7 mil. That's dirt cheap and that'll give the rookie a year to develop.

They just gave him a big ol' chunk of money as a signing bonus so his cost to the team this year is way over $7 MIL. Not that this makes trading him better - that money is spent. They have a sizable investment in him. He also has a big roster bonus due next year.

Rastic
04-20-2016, 04:10 PM
So is it true that TEN has something like 7 of the first top 100 picks?

They have 6 in the top 100 (fixed that for you):

Round 1, Pick 15 (#15 overall) (From Rams)
Round 2, Pick 2 (#33 overall)
Round 2, Pick 12 (#43 overall) (From Eagles through Rams)
Round 2, Pick 14 (#45 overall) (From Rams)
Round 3, Pick 1 (#64 overall)
Round 3, Pick 13 (#76 overall) (From Rams)

Then they have three more in rounds 5 - 7:

Round 5, Pick 1 (#140 overall)
Round 6, Pick 18 (#193 overall) (From Falcons)
Round 7, Pick 1 (#222 overall)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:ten

Sam_Z
04-20-2016, 04:19 PM
I just saw this via FB:

http://deadspin.com/browns-trade-second-overall-pick-to-eagles-for-a-buttlo-1772077911

They have to be going after a QB, right? Does that push D-Line talent down towards us? Does that draw QB's up in the draft rankings? Are we looking at a possibility where Connor Cook moves up to #25-ish? I don't want to trade picks for the guy. Screw that. Sign Hoyer as Sanchez's back up and go BPA.

I 100% agree. BPA as it always has been for Elway...

PAINTERDAVE
04-20-2016, 04:30 PM
Philly has royally screwed up the QB market this off season. What a bunch of pikers.
-
Yes, this move is expected to add to the blood in the water.. as the QB Feeding Frenzy heats up.
-
BPA @ #31.. is what I expect Elway to take....
and draft a QB down the line.
-
Many analysts are expecting no less than 5 QB's to go in the first round now...
Gruden's hype has somehow elevated Hackenberg to a hot commodity...
-
Wentz, Goff, Lynch, Cook and Hackenberg all expected to go in 1st..
and who knows.. maybe more?
LA, Eagles, Buffalo , Dallas, SF, Jets, even possibly KC are all rumored to be in the hunt.

dgobronco
04-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Neither of the top 2 QB's are a sure thing or ready to start day 1. I'd think Bradford stays and plays this year. Looks like there will be a run on QB's, though they could surprise and go after EE. Just a mind-boggling amount of draft picks to give up for a RB! Kinda makes the money we shelled out for Manning seem like a bargain, doesn't it?

If anyone thought getting a franchise QB would be easy from pick 31, this should put it to rest. BPA, and if that happens to be a QB, so be it, but I suspect we'll be looking at Prescott or a guy like Hogan later. Sanchez will almost certainly be the starter unless we swap him out for Hoyer or another vet becomes available. Personally, I'll take Sanchez's hunger right now over Hoyer, who looked for all the world like he will never be a playoff caliber QB against KC.

PAINTERDAVE
04-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Chatter on the radio was that Browns held their first Mini camp last weekend..
and they actually saw what they have with RG3..
and this deal is a result of them being comfortable going forward with him.
-
It just may be that there is a new era dawning in Cleveland..
an era of common sense and relying on the board..
they hired an all new analytics team... apparently.

PAINTERDAVE
04-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah... I think it is a bonehead move by Eagles.

DOH! (Slaps forehead!)

ELWAY421
04-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Chatter on the radio was that Browns held their first Mini camp last weekend..
and they actually saw what they have with RG3..
and this deal is a result of them being comfortable going forward with him.
-
It just may be that there is a new era dawning in Cleveland..
an era of common sense and relying on the board..
they hired an all new analytics team... apparently.

I heard Josh McCown took the majority of the teams first snaps. I know it's early but I don't know what that says?

CanDB
04-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Cleveland, who has a pretty bad history of drafting since the late 90s, has got to make a wise decision with their 8th overall pick. They have gained picks in this trade, but with nothing in round two this year, they might end up with another sub par draft.....and that just can't happen. Especially if they roll with RGIII, and he does not regain old form.

The good news, they have some really good picks this year and next, BUT I am not so sure I wouldn't have drafted Wentz at 2, and come back with a quality pick early in round 2....or trade back then to acquire an extra pick or two. Until they produce a good QB, I don't see this team improving a whole lot. Again, it's critical they do well with their first pic. One mistake there could be a mess.

Mind you, if they play according to plan, they will have two first rounders next year, and likely one will be very high.....thanks to another sub par season.

ELWAY421
04-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Cleveland, who has a pretty bad history of drafting since the late 90s, has got to make a wise decision with their 8th overall pick. They have gained picks in this trade, but with nothing in round two this year, they might end up with another sub par draft.....and that just can't happen. Especially if they roll with RGIII, and he does not regain old form.

The good news, they have some really good picks this year and next, BUT I am not so sure I wouldn't have drafted Wentz at 2, and come back with a quality pick early in round 2....or trade back then to acquire an extra pick or two. Until they produce a good QB, I don't see this team improving a whole lot. Again, it's critical they do well with their first pic. One mistake there could be a mess.

Mind you, if they play according to plan, they will have two first rounders next year, and likely one will be very high.....thanks to another sub par season.

I like Hugh Jackson & I think if the owner gives him time he'll get it right. What they do with the first pick is anyones guess, but I think it'll be a defensive or offensive lineman.

DenverBlood
04-21-2016, 08:47 AM
I heard Josh McCown took the majority of the teams first snaps. I know it's early but I don't know what that says?

I think in April it says absolutely nothing. I thought I heard they were looking to get rid of McCown anyway?

ELWAY421
04-21-2016, 09:47 AM
I think in April it says absolutely nothing. I thought I heard they were looking to get rid of McCown anyway?

I heard that when they first signed RG3, but now I don't know. It looks like McCown will be the back up to RG3 if RG3 earns the job. Which is what Jackson has stated, RG3 isn't the starter yet, he needs to earn it.

JT24Champ
04-21-2016, 03:24 PM
its crazy. they just signed bradford to a huge contract

HUMCALC
04-21-2016, 04:36 PM
its crazy. they just signed bradford to a huge contract

Not that huge, compared to other QBs in the game

JT24Champ
04-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Not that huge, compared to other QBs in the game

$18mil per year?

he has had like 3 acl surgeries and has nothing to show for it.

why pay that much money when they sent the farm to draft a qb at #2.
spend the money somewhere else and roll w that rookie qb then

HUMCALC
04-21-2016, 06:44 PM
$18mil per year?

he has had like 3 acl surgeries and has nothing to show for it.

why pay that much money when they sent the farm to draft a qb at #2.
spend the money somewhere else and roll w that rookie qb then

Does Brock deserve what he got? They probably want a QB to sit and learn from Bradford, although I don't agree with their decision