PDA

View Full Version : Dak Prescott

Fantaztic7
08-13-2016, 06:14 PM
There were many in Broncos Country that wanted to draft Dak Prescott.

I wanted to see how he would play in his debut with Dallas. He has been impressive this far. This is only a preseason game but it looks like Dallas got a steal drafting him in the 4th round.

-Rod-
08-13-2016, 06:30 PM
I just saw the guy we cut (Shaneil Jenkins) sack Goff. He looked good in college and just made a nice play. I have no idea why Elway let this kid go.

Fantaztic7
08-13-2016, 06:59 PM
I just saw the guy we cut (Shaneil Jenkins) sack Goff. He looked good in college and just made a nice play. I have no idea why Elway let this kid go.

I'm not sure either. We were pulling for him - Shepherd University is 30 minutes from us and we saw him play. Is it the depth and he just couldn't break through with the guys in front of him?

https://twitter.com/VolleyballWJU/status/764636338725400576

Mel B.
08-13-2016, 07:23 PM
There were many in Broncos Country that wanted to draft Dak Prescott.

I wanted to see how he would play in his debut with Dallas. He has been impressive this far. This is only a preseason game but it looks like Dallas got a steal drafting him in the 4th round.

Yeah I was impressed with what I saw from Dak. He looked good with the 1s or mostly 1s.

Maybe Kubiak should let Lynch start a preseason game with the 1s to see how he looks instead of playing him with the 2s & 3s.

Fantaztic7
08-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Yeah I was impressed with what I saw from Dak. He looked good with the 1s or mostly 1s.

Maybe Kubiak should let Lynch start a preseason game with the 1s to see how he looks instead of playing him with the 2s & 3s.

I would like to see the line gel before trying him with the 1s, although it would be interesting to see how he plays. He took 3 sacks in 10 drop backs against the Bears. He's a tough young QB but we don't want to get him beat up.

ksubroncosfan
08-13-2016, 07:49 PM

Well, they're evaluating him every day in and out of practice. Maybe he just didn't cut it with how much depth we already have.

Rancid
08-13-2016, 07:51 PM
Prescott looked really good. The back shoulder throw to Dez in the 1st quarter was spot on. The Cowboys have to be thrilled.

Fantaztic7
08-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Prescott looked really good. The back shoulder throw to Dez in the 1st quarter was spot on. The Cowboys have to be thrilled.

That was a nice play...

PAINTERDAVE
08-13-2016, 09:31 PM
Before we had a shot at Paxton Lynch...
I was really expecting we would get Dak.
-
He had an incredible game for the Cowboys tonight...
in the first half...
He was like 12 of 14 passing...
all were on the money...
and the 2 missed ones were just as good ..
but clearly dropped by the receiver

-
They say he takes charge of the huddle like a confidant professional..
inspiring the offense.. and his success tonight makes
it pretty clear he will be the Cowboy's #2 QB behind Romo...
the "Man of Glass"...
and Dak is likely the future of the franchise.
-
It will be interesting to watch..
over the years... this QB Draft class.
Cowboys, Broncos, Eagles, Rams....
-
Goffe for LA.... stunk up the home field.
Intercepted on his second throw.
Not looking good....
while Dak shined like a star.
-
-
I've always liked the Cowboys.... my favorite in the NFC...
but it has been hard to watch 'em lately ...
with Romo being so undependable.
and now I have a reason to like 'em more.
QB Prescott and RB Elliot....
Cowboys got it going on, I reckon.

-Rod-
08-14-2016, 07:35 AM
About Dak Prescott:

That first TD had good placement, but Dez Bryant made a crazy catch.

The TD pass to Terrance Williams was much more impressive, right in the bucket. That throw had a level of accuracy that Prescott did not show consistently in college.

I imagine how the Bucs and Browns felt watching that game. It's possible they were playing some hardball with the Cowboys in trade talks for Glennon and McCown. If that's the case, they might have screwed themselves.

LSIGRAD09
08-14-2016, 07:54 AM
Prescott was pretty impressive.

broncoslover115
08-14-2016, 08:26 AM
I was really impressed with Prescott last night. He looked like a veteran to me. He was playing against the ones, had nice passes, changed plays, looked defenders off, and ran the huddle like a pro. Was a little jealous watching this rookie.

DrunkPanda
08-14-2016, 10:46 AM
We should have picked up BOTH Lynch & Prescott. Kinda like when the Redskins took RG3 & Cousins.

dizzolve
08-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Dak looked slightly Russel Wilson-ish. Thought he looked really good too.

Goff was -meh, but I think he'll be a fine QB in time

PAINTERDAVE
08-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Too much pressure on Goff.
-
He is NOT worth a 1 pick.. but the draft situation thrust him into that role...
He aint 1 overall talent.... but he is expected to be.
-

then add he is the face of the new LA franchise...
lots of pressure to make good right away....
he is being pushed too hard.. too fast...
The kid could get shell shocked.

ksubroncosfan
08-16-2016, 04:02 PM
About Dak Prescott:

That first TD had good placement, but Dez Bryant made a crazy catch.

The TD pass to Terrance Williams was much more impressive, right in the bucket. That throw had a level of accuracy that Prescott did not show consistently in college.

I imagine how the Bucs and Browns felt watching that game. It's possible they were playing some hardball with the Cowboys in trade talks for Glennon and McCown. If that's the case, they might have screwed themselves.

Why Bucs? They have their qb of the future.

ksubroncosfan
08-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Too much pressure on Goff.
-
He is NOT worth a 1 pick.. but the draft situation thrust him into that role...
He aint 1 overall talent.... but he is expected to be.
-

then add he is the face of the new LA franchise...
lots of pressure to make good right away....
he is being pushed too hard.. too fast...
The kid could get shell shocked.

The media is so overblowing goff's performance.

1. He played two series. Jeesh. Just because someone else performed well in their first preseason game, doesn't mean it's always the norm for future impact players. Many have started rough.

2. His interception was the result of being hit as he threw. All he did wrong was hold the ball a bit longer, which can happen quite often to a new qb in the NFL.

3. His second drive was actually a nice job by goff. He had two easy passes dropped. One was a great throw like 20 something yards down the middle of the field. Therefore, he could have easily been 6-9 with a chance to put the ball in the end zone after the throw to the middle of the field.

4th. His last play was a sack that he should have probably gotten rid of the ball sooner. But no one was open in his defense. So, he really only had two bad plays. For a normal rookie in his first game, I think that's fine. Not everyone gets the best offensive line and dez Bryant to throw to in their first preseason game.

5. Afterwards it was noted by other analysts that Goff was actually doing a great job of moving through his reads and not just setting his sights on one man. This is one thing that was excellent by Goff in his first game. You don't always see rookie qb's make it to their 3rd read this early on, like the analysts were saying Goff did.

Lastly, just because a player goes 4-9 with an interception in his first ever preseason game, (which is what most people are basing their opinion on, not his actual play) does not mean he's already a bust or wasted pick.

This is coming from someone who does thing the Rams messed up with this trade and pick, so I'm not biased for him. However, I am not going to just claim I was right after one preseason game where he honestly wasn't AS bad as some are saying.

-Rod-
08-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Why Bucs? They have their qb of the future.

Mike Glennon is in the last year of his contract and they could have traded him as a backup QB.

ksubroncosfan
08-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Mike Glennon is in the last year of his contract and they could have traded him as a backup QB.

I know. But I don't get why Dak playing well makes them wish they would have traded him? Are you saying they should have drafted Dax as a backup?

Nvm, I think I get what you're saying now. You think they may still have been hoping to trade them during preseason?

-Rod-
08-16-2016, 06:57 PM
I know. But I don't get why Dak playing well makes them wish they would have traded him? Are you saying they should have drafted Dax as a backup?

Nvm, I think I get what you're saying now. You think they may still have been hoping to trade them during preseason?

Tampa Bay and Cleveland might have been interested in trading their backup QBs for the "right price" and Dallas was a likely trade partner after Kellen Moore's injury. Now Dallas is apparently satisfied with Prescott as the backup QB.

ksubroncosfan
08-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Tampa Bay and Cleveland might have been interested in trading their backup QBs for the "right price" and Dallas was a likely trade partner after Kellen Moore's injury. Now Dallas is apparently satisfied with Prescott as the backup QB.

But, I don't think they're kicking themselves if they didn't get the offer they wanted. Maybe the Browns because they should be terrible anyway. But the Bucs should be improved and may value their backup more.

LSIGRAD09
08-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Prescott looking pretty sharp again. I know it's preseason, but Dallas may have found something.

broncoslover115
08-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Prescott looking pretty sharp again. I know it's preseason, but Dallas may have found something.

No kidding. The guy looks like he's been doing this for awhile.

-Rod-
08-19-2016, 06:47 PM
And Shaneil Jenkins making more plays, now hitting the QB and forcing a fumble. He would have been a good PS candidate here. I'd really like to know what Elway and Russell saw in Lars Koht to give him Jenkins' roster spot. I watched Koht against Indiana and was not impressed at all.

-Rod-
08-19-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure either. We were pulling for him - Shepherd University is 30 minutes from us and we saw him play. Is it the depth and he just couldn't break through with the guys in front of him?

Depth was not the issue, because we replaced him with another DL (Lars Koht).

I'd really like to know what happened because this Jenkins kid looks good.

Bouncer1531
08-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Another solid outing for Dak tonight. He's becoming popular here in TX. I can see why so many were high on him.

Banjo
08-19-2016, 11:33 PM
Dak Prescott is better than any QB on the Broncos roster. Imagine if we saw this kind of play on our team right now? We would be talking about back-to-back titles.

broncoslover115
08-20-2016, 04:15 AM
Dak Prescott is better than any QB on the Broncos roster. Imagine if we saw this kind of play on our team right now? We would be talking about back-to-back titles.

Yeah, kinda feeling a little envious right now. :eek:

TheAsianPA
08-20-2016, 06:32 AM
Yeah looking at Dak last night I think we all were a little envious. But it's still the preseason, Suh wasn't playing and Dallas has yet to face an elite D.

Rancid
08-20-2016, 07:20 AM
Prescott has made the most of his opportunities and impressed. From what little I have seen he has definitely outplayed Goff and Wentz. Dallas seems to have found a gem.

beastlyskronk
08-20-2016, 09:41 AM
And Shaneil Jenkins making more plays, now hitting the QB and forcing a fumble. He would have been a good PS candidate here. I'd really like to know what Elway and Russell saw in Lars Koht to give him Jenkins' roster spot. I watched Koht against Indiana and was not impressed at all.

Jenkins is a bit of a tweener, he's a little too small for DE and a little too big for OLB in our 3-4. Koht fits more a 3-4 DE. But as a PS candidate he would have time to fill out or drop weight so it's possible they just goofed on him

Jonny_Quest
08-20-2016, 10:23 AM
When the draft started, I was hoping we'd nab Prescott in the bottom of the third round. Instead we traded our third round pick to move up and grab Lynch.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Lynch pick now, and I think he's going to be really good after a year or so of learning the new system.

But after watching Prescott in the preseason, I can't help but wonder what if. We'd have another third round pick on the roster. And he looks so plug and play.

Crazy talk?

ksubroncosfan
08-20-2016, 10:56 AM
When the draft started, I was hoping we'd nab Prescott in the bottom of the third round. Instead we traded our third round pick to move up and grab Lynch.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Lynch pick now, and I think he's going to be really good after a year or so of learning the new system.

But after watching Prescott in the preseason, I can't help but wonder what if. We'd have another third round pick on the roster. And he looks so plug and play.

Crazy talk?

I had started to hope that we pick Dax, just like you. And he looks great so far and everything. I just think people need to slow down a little bit. It's almost as if they're acting like he's a lock to be a hall of famer. It's not even a forgone conclusion that he'll be a successful NFL quarterback. Not that I think he won't be or anything. Just saying that there should be more patience on just thrusting "greatness" upon a rookie qb with two great preseason games and feeling jealousy about choosing Lynch instead. A couple of things to consider/for me to add.

1. I'm mostly just trying to be patient about the whole thing. I do in fact think that he will be a very good quarterback eventually.

2. He has made a few excellent throws. Three specific plays come to mind. However, if you've paid much attention, can anyone cover the Dallas receiver?? I swear they're getting so much separation on the majority of the plays, it is ridiculous.

3. The cliche that obviously needs to be repeated, it is the preseason.

4. Because it is the preseason, defenses are often vanilla. This goes for all qb's though. And Dak is still outplaying them. So, again I want to reiterate that I'm not trying to be degrading towards Dak as a quarterback.

5. I'm not sure people always realize how much it helps to have that great of an offensive line in front you. Especially with the vanilla defenses that stand no chance against them.

6. Having Dez is also great for any quarterback. He's back and looking as good as ever. No one has been able to cover him lol.

One last time, before anyone jumps all over me as if I'm talking down on Dak. I do believe he will be a good quarterback. I just think there are other things to consider between the situation he is in and the situations that some other young quarterbacks are in. And that you can't completely ignore them. Even though, I'm not naive enough to believe that they're the only reason he's had success.

samparnell
08-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Denver needed to draft a QB. When Dallas, San Francisco, Cleveland, and the NY Jets passed on Paxton Lynch, Denver moved up five spots to get him. That's the same number of spots Elway moved up last year to get Shane Ray.

It's nice to know that had Lynch not been available in the first round, Denver could have drafted Dak Prescott later, maybe even as late as the 4th round. As it turned out, Dallas took Prescott at #135, and Denver took Devontae Booker at #136.

The head scratchers for me were New England* taking Jacoby Brissett at #91, and Cleveland picking Cody Kessler at #93 in the 3rd round. Go figure.

There were fifteen QBs drafted this year. Seven were drafted before Dak Prescott. Time will tell how the QB class of 2016 does in the NFL.

I'm happy with Paxton Lynch being a Bronco, and I'm sure Dallas fans are glad to have a promising young QB on the roster in Dak Prescott.

Joshua2585
08-22-2016, 04:29 PM
I figured we should start a thread for comments on Dak's career progression.

A lot of people are talking about how it's a Goff & Wentz vs Lynch competition on who drafted best, but to this point... it's looking like Prescott should definitely be in that discussion.

The Cowboys might have gotten the steal of the draft. Time will tell...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2016/08/19/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys/89025780/

I know the Broncos were planning on drafting him if they couldn't pick up Lynch. They reportedly loved Dak.

Strip Sacked
08-23-2016, 01:33 AM
After the draft when I heard JJ was mad we got Paxton and he had to settle for Dak I was ecstatic.

Now.. I'm just mondo crazy super jealous. JJ's got himself a quarterback.

Spice 1
08-23-2016, 06:33 AM

Crazy talk?

Some people wanted to take Lynch AND Prescott. I was one of the mid round Prescott backers too, but we got Lynch so it's all good. The teams that should feel stupid, provided he does pan out, are the Jets and Browns. We're only two preseason games into his career though, so we should probably pump the brakes a little.

armedequation
08-23-2016, 02:05 PM
I was one of those people that wanted both.

The one thing i will say is dak may not do as well in regular season as he has in preseason. Good thing for him is he will see playing time. Romo may as well be a chardonnay glass

ksubroncosfan
08-24-2016, 05:30 AM
I was one of those people that wanted both.

The one thing i will say is dak may not do as well in regular season as he has in preseason. Good thing for him is he will see playing time. Romo may as well be a chardonnay glass

Over like the last four years (someone on these boards said this I believe) he's only missed most of last season and maybe a game or two in the previous ones. The idea of him being made out of glass have been completely overblown. Not that he's the most durable by any means. But he's no Sam Bradford.

Edit: he's still no Sam Bradford. But at this age, he may now officially be made of glass :D lol

TheAsianPA
08-25-2016, 07:38 PM
I still think drafting Myles Jack in the first and then Dak Prescott would have been the smarter move, but that's only now in the preseason. Prescott may fold and not develop, and similarly Lynch may blossom after this likely transitional year. Who knows.

Bootleg
08-26-2016, 01:28 AM
As much praise as he's been getting, last night he threw short of the sticks a lot on third down. With Prescott at QB, the Cowboys were 1/7 on 3rd down. His completion percentage and QB rating may look nice, but 2 yard passes on 3rd and 6/7 aren't practical.

That said, he does look promising.

ksubroncosfan
08-26-2016, 05:11 AM
He still looked good. But you could definitely see a difference once he started to play with more of the backups. If the Cowboys should be super excited about anyone it is Elliot. My goodness. That's not something you can really teach.

PAINTERDAVE
08-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Over like the last four years (someone on these boards said this I believe) he's only missed most of last season and maybe a game or two in the previous ones. The idea of him being made out of glass have been completely overblown. Not that he's the most durable by any means. But he's no Sam Bradford.

Edit: he's still no Sam Bradford. But at this age, he may now officially be made of glass :D lol

Out for the season...
the man of glass lives up to his nickname.
-
It don't matter how good you CAN be...
if you cant be counted on day in and out.

KWHIT97
10-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Elway is an amazing drafter but man did he miss the boat on this guy. He went in the 4th round so we had 4 shots to get him, shoulda, woulda, coulda I guess. This kid is incredible.

Broncoyearound
10-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Some players gets drafted into the right situation. I think the same about Prescott. He's got a dynamic running back a top tier line. He's got most things rookie qbs would dream of having when coming into the league.

So in saying that I don't see anything that makes me say he will be top tier I will however say he's made the most of his opportunity.

TheAsianPA
10-16-2016, 03:11 PM
People keep saying he's got the offensive line protecting him, but he still is an amazing player by all rights. He is without a doubt better than Lynch and makes better decisions, especially for being a first year rookie.

As for others saying he has everything else, well, Lynch had presumably the #1 defense that won the SB50, that's also a great situation to be in. Some qbs develop well, others don't. I'm going to say it, however much it makes people angry, but we should have drafted Dak.

-Rod-
10-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Even the Cowboys wanted Paxton Lynch. And even in the 4th round, the Cowboys wanted Connor Cook over Prescott, but the Raiders traded up to get Cook ahead of the Cowboys. And even after drafting Prescott, Jerry Jones was still talking about how he wished he had finished the deal to get Lynch. So, that's what we call "luck" for the Cowboys.

bronx_2003
10-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Prescott is looking pretty solid but will probably be benched once Romo is back.

Dallas are winning games because their OL is amazing and Zeke is on fire..... along with their D playing lights out. Zak is managing the game well for a rookie.

Lynch is an unknown still learning the game. He did well in TB then struggled in his start behind a disastrous OL and zero running game.

Look at this again in 3-4 years for a real discussion.

DenverBlood
10-16-2016, 03:29 PM
First of all we didn't miss on him four times. If you want to say once because we took lynch instead fine

But after taking lynch in the first why on earth would we take dak in the next three rounds?

Also Dallas has the best oline in football. We have one of the worst.

I am fairly confident dak would not look this solid behind our line.

DenverBlood
10-16-2016, 03:31 PM
People keep saying he's got the offensive line protecting him, but he still is an amazing player by all rights. He is without a doubt better than Lynch and makes better decisions, especially for being a first year rookie.

As for others saying he has everything else, well, Lynch had presumably the #1 defense that won the SB50, that's also a great situation to be in. Some qbs develop well, others don't. I'm going to say it, however much it makes people angry, but we should have drafted Dak.

Watch dak in a game where he doesn't have 5-6 seconds to look for guys and see how good he looks.

Even Brady doesn't look good when the oline can't hold up for more than 2.5 seconds. See AfC championship game if you don't believe me

TheAsianPA
10-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Watch dak in a game where he doesn't have 5-6 seconds to look for guys and see how good he looks.

Even Brady doesn't look good when the oline can't hold up for more than 2.5 seconds. See AfC championship game if you don't believe me

Well unless the O-line from dallas completely gets put in IR, we're never going to find out. And he still makes better decisions imo than Lynch. Lynch does not have accuracy and holds onto the ball far too long. Dak may have an O-line that is miles ahead, but he doesn't make rookie mistakes and is not anywhere near as raw as Lynch is. It's not a sin to say that Dak is talented, and much more so than Lynch at this point.

SaltySnipes
10-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Well unless the O-line from dallas completely gets put in IR, we're never going to find out. And he still makes better decisions imo than Lynch. Lynch does not have accuracy and holds onto the ball far too long. It's not a sin to say that Dak is talented, and much more so than Lynch at this point.

We also refuse to tailor an offense towards paxton's strengths..

Mel B.
10-16-2016, 03:37 PM
I like what I've seen in Dak but let's be honest...Dak would look just as bad and 'not ready' as Lynch if he were playing in our offense, behind our o-line and Lynch would look just as good as Dak if he were in Dallas in their offense, behind their o-line.

If our o-line play doesn't improve, neither will our QB-play.

TheAsianPA
10-16-2016, 03:40 PM
I like what I've seen in Dak but let's be honest...Dak would look just as bad and 'not ready' as Lynch if he were playing in our offense, behind our o-line and Lynch would look just as good as Dak if he were in Dallas in their offense, behind their o-line.

If our o-line play doesn't improve, neither will our QB-play.

If that's the case why didn't Dallas even go positive in W-L percentage last year? The assumption being made here in this thread is that any QB can go in and have success behind that line. That just simply isn't true. There is still a level of talent and QB sense one has to have in order to succeed.

bronx_2003
10-16-2016, 03:46 PM
Pretty poor today by Prescott, another TO.

That Dallas D performance should have this game buried by now.

bronx_2003
10-16-2016, 03:47 PM
If that's the case why didn't Dallas even go positive in W-L percentage last year?

The D is the reason.

Fantaztic7
10-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Backed up in their 5 yard line after Rodgers fumbled, Dak threw a nice deep pass to Butler - dropped. Next play 3rd and 8 - Dak throws an INT giving Green Bay a chance to get back in the game.

He's good but makes mistakes like every QB. Heck, Rodgers has an INT and fumble today.

ksubroncosfan
10-16-2016, 03:50 PM
If that's the case why didn't Dallas even go positive in W-L percentage last year? The assumption being made here in this thread is that any QB can go in and have success behind that line. That just simply isn't true. There is still a level of talent and QB sense one has to have in order to succeed.

Because their backup qb's were atrocious, they didn't have a good running back, and their defense was absolutely awful as well. This year, Dak is talented, Zeke is a beast, and their defense looks much better.

Also, let's wait about 3-4 years before we truly compare these guys a little more fairly. Some players take longer to adjust than others.

Mel B.
10-16-2016, 03:51 PM

I agree and don't want to seem like I'm diminishing Dak's natural talent because I am impressed with what I see from him, and he's definitely better than the career bum-back-ups Dallas had to play with last year after Romo went down, but I still give more credit to the line he's playing behind.

I seriously doubt Dak would get much praise on his play if he were playing behind our o-line because I doubt he'd have half the success and that's because of how bad our o-line is as opposed to how good the line is that he's playing behind in Dallas this year.

bronx_2003
10-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Nice 2 throws by Zak for a TD but WOW, he is just sitting behind that line drinking a coffee, having a hot dog, and tossing the ball to an open receiver.

No other QB in this league, with the possible exception of Matt Ryan, gets protection THAT good

fraguela09
10-16-2016, 04:12 PM
DAK had the best OL in football and 2 dynamic RB (Elliott & Morris).

Dak played in the SEC, he's older than Paxton and had more game action/experience in college.

In other words, Dak was more NFL-ready coming out of college and he's playing in a superior offense.

You can't even compare the 2 really. If Lynch doesn't land in our lap, if we don't move up to draft him, Lynch would be in DAL and we would've taken Dak in the second round.

Now.... Long term.... It might still prove that we took the wrong QB. But, if that's the argument, shouldn't the focus be in the fact we took Brock over Russell Wilson?

TheAsianPA
10-16-2016, 04:42 PM
DAK had the best OL in football and 2 dynamic RB (Elliott & Morris).

Dak played in the SEC, he's older than Paxton and had more game action/experience in college.

In other words, Dak was more NFL-ready coming out of college and he's playing in a superior offense.

You can't even compare the 2 really. If Lynch doesn't land in our lap, if we don't move up to draft him, Lynch would be in DAL and we would've taken Dak in the second round.

Now.... Long term.... It might still prove that we took the wrong QB. But, if that's the argument, shouldn't the focus be in the fact we took Brock over Russell Wilson?

Elway missing on Russell Wilson still bothers me.

bronx_2003
10-16-2016, 04:45 PM

You could say this about every GM in every draft, and while Wilson is a good QB he is not a pro bowl top level one like Bree's, Rivers, Roth, Newton, Palmer, etc...............

DenverBlood
10-16-2016, 04:46 PM

Now that argument I can agree with.

But the OP claiming we missed on lynch and should've taken Dak and pretending the two offenses are apples to oranges is just wrong.

Even siemian isn't performing as well as Dak has started.

DenverBlood
10-16-2016, 04:48 PM
You could say this about every GM in every draft, and while Wilson is a good QB he is not a pro bowl top level one like Bree's, Rivers, Roth, Newton, Palmer, etc...............

Uh he was like 36 and 10 td to pick last year and made the pro bowl.

I kind of get your point comparing to the others but pro bowl is not your best argument. He has been a pro bowler 3 times

bronx_2003
10-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Uh he was like 36 and 10 td to pick last year and made the pro bowl.

I kind of get your point comparing to the others but pro bowl is not your best argument. He has been a pro bowler 3 times

I know he has BEEN to the pro bowl, but when I talk about pro bowl level I mean the top 3-4 QB's in the conference and I wouldn't put him on the same level as Rodgers, Bree's, Palmer, Newton, etc...........

RW is someone else who is not asked to carry a team, just ride the D and running game. I'm not saying he couldn't do it but who knows.

I know the argument with RW is his W-L record and he has a SB ring but that doesn't wash with me. PM had a great W-L record last year and got a ring but was arguably the worst starting QB in the league.

DenverBlood
10-16-2016, 05:07 PM
I know he has BEEN to the pro bowl, but when I talk about pro bowl level I mean the top 3-4 QB's in the conference and I wouldn't put him on the same level as Rodgers, Bree's, Palmer, Newton, etc...........

RW is someone else who is not asked to carry a team, just ride the D and running game. I'm not saying he couldn't do it but who knows.

I know the argument with RW is his W-L record and he has a SB ring but that doesn't wash with me. PM had a great W-L record last year and got a ring but was arguably the worst starting QB in the league.

I said I won't argue the qb comparisons. Just the pro bowl part.

But in that grouping I also think at this stage in the game he is a lot better than palmer.

ksubroncosfan
10-16-2016, 06:13 PM

Would easily take Wilson over Palmer.

broncoslover115
10-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Would easily take Wilson over Palmer.

He's one of my favorite QBs. Man does that guy play with heart. No quit in him whatsoever.

gerontion
10-16-2016, 06:54 PM

This is a fun game. I'll play, too. We should have drafted Montana in 1979. We should have drafted Favre in 1991. We should have drafted Brady in 2000. All those guys were available and we missed them. It probably cost us at least 7 championships.

broncoslover115
10-16-2016, 07:19 PM
This is a fun game. I'll play, too. We should have drafted Montana in 1979. We should have drafted Favre in 1991. We should have drafted Brady in 2000. All those guys were available and we missed them. It probably cost us at least 7 championships.

:laugh: Sounds good to me! Shoulda, coulda, woulda! Darn it. :P

Bterres105
10-17-2016, 07:29 AM
We also refuse to tailor an offense towards paxton's strengths..

I don't see dallas changing the entire system for one player.

Joshua2585
10-17-2016, 08:32 AM
If we couldn't have moved up to get Paxton, rumors said the Broncos really liked Dak and would have tried to get him in the 3rd. Alas... we're stuck with Lynch who is going to take years of development.

Personally, I think Paxton is a bust. Sure, he's big and throws hard, but he's never had to play QB in a real system. He's never actually had to sit back and to run through reads. His fundamentals are trash, as we saw in his first start... he threw high every throw because his footwork is garbage and he's throwing off his back foot (enforced by years of playing in gimmicky offenses in HS and College). I've never quite understood the idea of picking up a kid in the first round that has never had to play the QB position for real. Not only that, he played in a smaller school in a bad conference and never had to play against NFL level talent, like you would in the SEC.

I'd love to eat crow on this, but I don't think I'll have to, unfortunately. Mark my words... Paxton is a bust and will never amount to anything.

captainbronco
10-17-2016, 04:34 PM
If we couldn't have moved up to get Paxton, rumors said the Broncos really liked Dak and would have tried to get him in the 3rd. Alas... we're stuck with Lynch who is going to take years of development.

Personally, I think Paxton is a bust. Sure, he's big and throws hard, but he's never had to play QB in a real system. He's never actually had to sit back and to run through reads. His fundamentals are trash, as we saw in his first start... he threw high every throw because his footwork is garbage and he's throwing off his back foot (enforced by years of playing in gimmicky offenses in HS and College). I've never quite understood the idea of picking up a kid in the first round that has never had to play the QB position for real. Not only that, he played in a smaller school in a bad conference and never had to play against NFL level talent, like you would in the SEC.

I'd love to eat crow on this, but I don't think I'll have to, unfortunately. Mark my words... Paxton is a bust and will never amount to anything.

Thats a premature label on lynch. He's still young and developing how can you label him a bust after what 2 games?

Houshmazode
10-17-2016, 05:40 PM
Elway is an amazing drafter but man did he miss the boat on this guy. He went in the 4th round so we had 4 shots to get him, shoulda, woulda, coulda I guess. This kid is incredible.
Dallas has the best oline in the league. Prescott is still good and I think he would be a little better than Lynch at this point, but not much. I would like to see what Lynch or Siemian could do behind Dallas' o line.

Joshua2585
10-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Thats a premature label on lynch. He's still young and developing how can you label him a bust after what 2 games?

I'm not saying he IS a bust, but I'm predicting it based on his History. How often to big school QBs work out? Not often... How often to small school QBs work out in the NFL? Almost never.

Flacco = Delaware

Romo = Eastern Illinois

However, neither of those QBs (to my knowledge) played in a quick-passing spread offense. They both had to read defenses (unlike Paxton), call plays, throw from the pocket, etc. Paxton has never been asked to play the QB position as it's played in the NFL. Nothing even close to resembling what he'll have to do now.

The Broncos pick is akin to picking up a basketball player off the street and asking him to play QB. He didn't have ANY of the foundation that is required.

ksubroncosfan
10-18-2016, 08:02 PM
I'm not saying he IS a bust, but I'm predicting it based on his History. How often to big school QBs work out? Not often... How often to small school QBs work out in the NFL? Almost never.

Flacco = Delaware

Romo = Eastern Illinois

However, neither of those QBs (to my knowledge) played in a quick-passing spread offense. They both had to read defenses (unlike Paxton), call plays, throw from the pocket, etc. Paxton has never been asked to play the QB position as it's played in the NFL. Nothing even close to resembling what he'll have to do now.

The Broncos pick is akin to picking up a basketball player off the street and asking him to play QB. He didn't have ANY of the foundation that is required.

Pretty sure joe played in a similar offense to Paxton in college if I remember right. There was a big deal about him needing to learn to take snaps under center as well.

As for the whole small school vs big school thing. That could be because not very many small school quarterbacks ever become talented enough to even be drafted in the NFL. I don't know what the numbers are on them, but I'd be willing to bet that a higher percantage of small school qb's that make it to the NFL are more successful than big school. By this I mean, for example, for every 4 small school qb's there is 1 good qb's from them. And for every 6 big school qb's drafted there is 1 good qb. I believe this is because for a small school qb to be drafted they have to really stand out. While there are many big school qb's that are just a product of a great system.

Those numbers are totally just made up btw. Just explaining what I am predicting. Pretty much that less small school qb's are drafted into the NFL, so of course there are going to be less successful ones. That should be pretty obvious. It doesn't mean that a higher percentage of them fail.

Also, he did have to play against real NFL talent when he played Ole Miss and put on a show. Not using that as an argument. Just pointing out that you saying he never did, is incorrect.

River Side
10-19-2016, 04:21 PM
I hold judgement on rookie QB's.. Need not look further than RGMe, CopperNeck and Nick Folds.

Uncle Rico would look great behind that line. Next year, if Dak is still performing at this level.. He'd be considered legit.

ksubroncosfan
10-19-2016, 07:40 PM
I hold judgement on rookie QB's.. Need not look further than RGMe, CopperNeck and Nick Folds.

Uncle Rico would look great behind that line. Next year, if Dak is still performing at this level.. He'd be considered legit.

Why next year? The line should still be great. How about we give a qb more than 2 years before throwing the elite word around.

ksubroncosfan
10-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Something else to think about when trying to compare young quarterbacks right away. Players like Dak and Carson Wentz were 5th year seniors. So, they had 5 full seasons of bigger level football. While Paxton Lynch played 3 years before making the jump. While it's not 2 years of NFL development, Carson and Dak have 2 more years of major football coaching development of their positions as opposed to Paxton. If you don't think that makes a big difference in where they're at currently, then you're crazy.

TheAsianPA
11-15-2016, 09:06 PM
One of the most touching and heartbreaking speeches I've ever heard, even though I am not even remotely a Cowboys fan. Romo is a class act, and the Cowboys have been blessed with him. Wish them all the best this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw1GXGIFtVA

broncoslover115
11-16-2016, 04:26 AM
One of the most touching and heartbreaking speeches I've ever heard, even though I am not even remotely a Cowboys fan. Romo is a class act, and the Cowboys have been blessed with him. Wish them all the best this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw1GXGIFtVA

Wow, that must have been hard to write and say. But a team mate for sure. Good job Romo. Sort of Manning 2.0

Spice 1
11-16-2016, 08:39 AM
So I don't really understand why they had to have a press conference for Tony Romo to tell everyone that he's cool with being the backup quarterback.

Mel B.
11-16-2016, 09:08 AM
So I don't really understand why they had to have a press conference for Tony Romo to tell everyone that he's cool with being the backup quarterback.

Right!

I mean as touching as some may feel his speech was, why does Tony Romo have to have a damn press conference to relay this message?

It's not like we're talking about an all time great 'passing the baton'...and even if it were why would 'accepting your role as a back-up' be worthy of a PRESS CONFERENCE?

TheAsianPA
11-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Right!

I mean as touching as some may feel his speech was, why does Tony Romo have to have a damn press conference to relay this message?

It's not like we're talking about an all time great 'passing the baton'...and even if it were why would 'accepting your role as a back-up' be worthy of a PRESS CONFERENCE?

Probably because Tony Romo is actually a decent QB? The fact that he put himself through all sorts of punishment for his team only to resume to a back up role and say in a clear speech he's ready to let the spotlight on another QB is something that doesn't happen often. It's how he came into the scene, replacing Drew Bledsoe, and now he's being replaced by Dak. It's poetic in a way and is great to see someone act in a classy manner.

TheAsianPA
11-16-2016, 08:17 PM

Tony Romo to many Cowboys fans is the Manning of their team. Did a lot for the team, put himself through hell, and earned their respect. It's a big deal for them and what he's showing now.

Spice 1
11-16-2016, 09:01 PM
Tony Romo to many Cowboys fans is the Manning of their team. Did a lot for the team, put himself through hell, and earned their respect. It's a big deal for them and what he's showing now.

I'd go with Roger Staubach, but to each their own.

EddieMac
11-16-2016, 09:12 PM
The media has been making stories of Romos return for weeks. He just put that all to bed. Good on him. And very classy too.

Doesn't this kind of storyline get a team a championship too? :D

ELWAY421
11-16-2016, 10:41 PM
He'll be a starter somewhere next year. It must be a bummer for him to watch this team and be like what if, but when you can't stay healthy you get left behind sooner or later.

TheAsianPA
11-17-2016, 11:09 AM
He'll be a starter somewhere next year. It must be a bummer for him to watch this team and be like what if, but when you can't stay healthy you get left behind sooner or later.

He honestly may be a starter for us next year

rst08tierney
11-17-2016, 08:09 PM
He honestly may be a starter for us next year

That could be very interesting if he could stay healthy