PDA

View Full Version : Osweiler a dink-and-dunk artist in 49ers-Texans preseason game

CasualFan
08-14-2016, 05:03 PM
The game is local for me, and so far (early 2nd quarter) I'm not getting the sense the Broncos missed out on much with him leaving for Houston. So far he's 4 of 7 for 27 yards, net 20 yards if you subtract sack yardage. Three total first downs for the Texans vs. 11 for that offensive powerhouse called the 49ers offense. The first two series for the Texans were three-and-outs. On one key play on third-and-seven he threw to a double-covered receiver who was 3 yards short of picking up a fresh set of downs.

So kudos to Elway for not overpaying.

Peerless
08-14-2016, 05:08 PM
First here to say it's just preseason.

But 4-7 for 27 yards, no touchdowns, no interceptions, sacked once, 65.8 passer rating = $18million/year.

CasualFan
08-14-2016, 05:11 PM
First here to say it's just preseason.

But 4-7 for 27 yards, no touchdowns, no interceptions, sacked once, 65.8 passer rating = $18million/year.

Yes, we'll give him that it's preseason and he's learning a new offense, and it's less than a half of football. All true. But when you're getting outplayed by Blaine Gabbert I'm not exactly filled with nostalgia for what might have been.

-Rod-
08-14-2016, 05:12 PM
Let's not overreact, it's just preseason, but...

Yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! !

gtown53
08-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Not impressed, to say the least.

And I'm getting the Houston broadcast where you would think they would be fawning all over the guy. Frankly, I can't believe that Houston's coach took him out. Clearly he needs a lot of work before the season starts.

The best part of osweiler was Gabbert and Lewis. Because ANYBODY, by comparison with the way they were playing, would look like a freakin' "Hall of Famer". I thought they were going to boo Gabbert out of the stadium in the first quarter. Although Gabbert did settle down and throw a really nice Touchdown pass.

I'm guessing that Chip Kelly is going to have a long, long, long year

skeeter01
08-14-2016, 05:24 PM
Lets see what Trevor can do against this SF Defense next week. Bet it'll be better than 65%. { hope I don't have to eat crow } Dough

DrunkPanda
08-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Not impressed, to say the least.

And I'm getting the Houston broadcast where you would think they would be fawning all over the guy. Frankly, I can't believe that Houston's coach took him out. Clearly he needs a lot of work before the season starts.

The best part of osweiler was Gabbert and Lewis. Because ANYBODY, by comparison with the way they were playing, would look like a freakin' "Hall of Famer". I thought they were going to boo Gabbert out of the stadium in the first quarter. Although Gabbert did settle down and throw a really nice Touchdown pass.

I'm guessing that Chip Kelly is going to have a long, long, long year

I think he pulled Osweiler because he was embarrassed. Kinda like if your kid pulled down their pants and took a piss in the middle of the shopping mall, you'd just get him out of there as fast as possible

sendacash
08-14-2016, 05:38 PM
This game ain't very easy on the eyes folks, I had to flip over to the Olympics.

DrunkPanda
08-14-2016, 05:54 PM
I would bench Osweiler for Savage if I were Bill O'Brien. Savage looks pretty decent

DrunkPanda
08-14-2016, 06:06 PM
That Texans offensive line looks like the Broncos offensive line from last year, lol

Freyaka
08-14-2016, 06:09 PM
LOL....we so dodged a huge bullet there :D

I know it's pre-season and all, but I think Sanchez was an upgrade over Oz.

Freyaka
08-14-2016, 06:12 PM
I would bench Osweiler for Savage if I were Bill O'Brien. Savage looks pretty decent

Yea, they should make the love child of Nic Cage and Jeremy Piven their QB. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why they went after Oz instead of just keeping Savage.

FL BRONCO
08-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Savage looked better but way to early to tell. I noticed at half time OBrien seemed to make a quick response and change the subject to defense to get off the subject imo.

Atwnbroncfan
08-14-2016, 06:37 PM
To be fair, this guy has played like 20 games since High School.Its rather impressive I've never seen a benchwarmer make it so far.

JayJack
08-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Yea, they should make the love child of Nic Cage and Jeremy Piven their QB. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why they went after Oz instead of just keeping Savage.

When the Owner says publicly that they need a QB, the answer is not on the team....at least in their eyes.

Bterres105
08-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Well he did learn from Manning and a year with Mike "Dink and Dunk predictable play calling" McCoy

Freyaka
08-14-2016, 07:40 PM
When the Owner says publicly that they need a QB, the answer is not on the team....at least in their eyes.

Well the answer doesn't appear at this point to be the guy they way overpaid for either.

Rancid
08-14-2016, 07:52 PM
I don't think it hurts Houston to have Osweiler play reserved. He is still somewhat of an unknown; why advertise?

JayJack
08-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Well the answer doesn't appear at this point to be the guy they way overpaid for either.

Oh no doubt!

gtown53
08-14-2016, 08:07 PM
I think he pulled Osweiler because he was embarrassed. Kinda like if your kid pulled down their pants and took a piss in the middle of the shopping mall, you'd just get him out of there as fast as possible

Now that I'm living in Cowboys/Texans country (God help me), it's going be really interesting to see if Savage (for the Texans), and Prescott (for the Cowboys) can supplant the starters at some point. And if osweiler and Romo continue with their injury problems, if the backups, with some success, can put them on the bench, permanently.

As a longtime Broncos fan, all I can say is thank God for Sunday Ticket.

PAINTERDAVE
08-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Gtown..
you can bet the cowboys gonna be starting Dak soon enough..
Romo is madeof glass...
and after his showing so far...
the fans will clamor for the future to start sooner rather than later.

By fans... I mean.. I include in Jerry Jones....
--------------

PS...
Thank you for LEAVING DENVER, Brent Osweiler.

dizzolve
08-15-2016, 02:58 AM
lol Here's the Headline at NFL.com

What we learned: Osweiler underwhelms in debut

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000685265/article/what-we-learned-osweiler-underwhelms-in-debut

we all know PRE1 don't mean much - but I do take a bit of delight in this

Dennis.1960
08-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Good thing Oz passed up the Bronco visit to meet the president so he could get to work with his new team or he might have looked even worse :goofy:

samparnell
08-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Good thing Oz passed up the Bronco visit to meet the president so he could get to work with his new team or he might have looked even worse :goofy:

He had a chance to be a Bronco, but chose to be a Texan. Monday 24 October 2016 :eek:

kingelway7
08-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Id just like to take a moment and remind everyone of Lynch's numbers in his first NFL game...

6 of 7 for 79 yards. Plus he had a 21 yard pass nullified by a penalty.

Granted, it was Vs a bunch of #3's but its still sweet when looking at Osweiler's performance

Rastic
08-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Well, it is pre-season so I don't know how much you can expect learn from how Osweiler played other than he played as well as expected for a young QB with limited experience - exactly what he was when the Texans acquired him in FA.

Being in a new system with a new coach around new players will taken all but the most talented QBs time to transition.

What I actually find funny is not Os' performance but how the sports media is now jumping on the bandwagon that Os is unproven and therefore over paid. This after eviscerating the Broncos organization and Elway in particular back in March for letting Os go in free agency. Now headlines over at ESPN read, "How Houston can get the most out of Osweiler:
Brock Osweiler doesn't come to Houston as a finished product, but as Matt Bowen writes, the Texans have the coaching and skill players to help him be successful as he continues to develop."

(emphasis mine)

I honestly think we are much better off in the long run whether or not Os becomes anything or not.

broncoslover115
08-15-2016, 09:37 AM
Well, it is pre-season so I don't know how much you can expect learn from how Osweiler played other than he played as well as expected for a young QB with limited experience - exactly what he was when the Texans acquired him in FA.

Being in a new system with a new coach around new players will taken all but the most talented QBs time to transition.

What I actually find funny is not Os' performance but how the sports media is now jumping on the bandwagon that Os is unproven and therefore over paid. This after eviscerating the Broncos organization and Elway in particular back in March for letting Os go in free agency. Now headlines over at ESPN read, "How Houston can get the most out of Osweiler:
Brock Osweiler doesn't come to Houston as a finished product, but as Matt Bowen writes, the Texans have the coaching and skill players to help him be successful as he continues to develop."

(emphasis mine)

I honestly think we are much better off in the long run whether or not Os becomes anything or not.

Doesn't it amaze you how the narrative changes when it comes to our team? If it was Bill B who had let Oz go, it would be all praises, puppies and rainbows.

I've heard Elway called arrogant, dumb and that he's snubbing his nose at everyone because he let him go and because he's building a team that isn't QB centric right now. How dare he. :eek:

samparnell
08-15-2016, 10:27 AM

(emphasis mine)

Continues to develop? He means like now Brock is in year five of his development? OK :eek:

Texans have the coaching? He means like Bill O'Brien who has gone through eight QBs in the past two years including two guys he coached in New England? :confused:

CanDB
08-15-2016, 11:49 AM
^^^^^Hmmmmm.....near top $$$$s for a developing player. Wait til he matures, they'll have to give him part ownership of the team!!

Rastic
08-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Continues to develop? He means like now Brock is in year five of his development? OK :eek:

Texans have the coaching? He means like Bill O'Brien who has gone through eight QBs in the past two years including two guys he coached in New England? :confused:

Funny stuff, no?

Remedy
08-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Not a lot of positive reviews on their forums about the performance..

but that being said its super vanilla, pre season game one.. on a new team.

dizzolve
08-15-2016, 02:46 PM

(emphasis mine)

Yeah well he's getting paid as a finished product

HUMCALC
08-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Aren't a lot of quarterbacks paid like that, even though they haven't put it all together, ie: Stafford, Cutler, Romo, Bradford, etc. ?

Dennis.1960
08-15-2016, 04:39 PM
He had a chance to be a Bronco, but chose to be a Texan. Monday 24 October 2016 :eek:

:eek: is right! I don't care how fat his savings account balance is, on 10/24/16 he'll be wishing he made a different choice ;)

Rastic
08-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Aren't a lot of quarterbacks paid like that, even though they haven't put it all together, ie: Stafford, Cutler, Romo, Bradford, etc. ?

All but Bradford have a respectable resume as starters, which is the issue with Osweiler. I would not call any of them great but good - good enough to win the starting position on our team no doubt.

Osweiler, on the other hand is an unproven player paid as if he has proven himself by people who say he needs time to improve. Head-scratcher that is...

Bradford? All he did was win the lottery.

AugustInHouston
08-15-2016, 06:22 PM
You guys crack me up. I guess you all forget how you were all wanting Brock as a starter at the start of last season when Manning was playing, uhm, less than Manning like. Selective memory around here.

-Rod-
08-15-2016, 06:37 PM
You guys crack me up. I guess you all forget how you were all wanting Brock as a starter at the start of last season when Manning was playing, uhm, less than Manning like. Selective memory around here.

That does not mean he's any good. Like you said, Manning was playing really bad.

FL BRONCO
08-15-2016, 06:46 PM

First, some of us, atleast me, did want Brock when Manning was being ineffective and an interception king. For those 2 reasons and because we could have run Kubes offense. And I personally still think Brock should've replaced Manning earlier then he did. That is old milk and done.

I also wanted Brock to stay here and still wish he would've. Brock in Kubiaks offense being coached by Kubes here and him in Obriens offense being coached by them are not exactly equal. We will never know how it would've been. But I am certainly going to follow him and see how it will be. I can't help but too. I think he made a big mistake but we shall see.

Finally, its the first preseason game, think I'll wait and see how it pans out int the long run.

beastlyskronk
08-16-2016, 07:32 AM

Some wanted Tim Tebow back, I personally wanted to see old John Elway come out and give it a go. Manning wasn't exactly lighting it up

Remedy
08-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Some wanted Tim Tebow back, I personally wanted to see old John Elway come out and give it a go. Manning wasn't exactly lighting it up

I was using a Ouija board and was trying to summon the ghost of jake plummer past!

Freyaka
08-16-2016, 10:09 AM
I was using a Ouija board and was trying to summon the ghost of jake plummer past!

Well...We got Mark Sanchez, his stats coming into Denver were very similar to Plummer's coming into Denver. Maybe you managed to summon a reincarnated Plummer in Sanchez (at least that's my optimistic hope)

Remedy
08-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Well...We got Mark Sanchez, his stats coming into Denver were very similar to Plummer's coming into Denver. Maybe you managed to summon a reincarnated Plummer in Sanchez (at least that's my optimistic hope)

ahhh.... I feel we are doing a disservice to the snake with that comparison.. but we can hope.

CanDB
08-16-2016, 01:31 PM
ahhh.... I feel we are doing a disservice to the snake with that comparison.. but we can hope.

I was definitely a wee bit more excited when Plummer came to town....

ksubroncosfan
08-16-2016, 04:00 PM

Actually, it was pretty split on peoples' feelings about Brock. Especially when he failed to put up a TD in two games against Oakland.

58Miller
08-23-2016, 02:16 PM
You mean when we all had never seen what Mr. OSWEILER COULD DO? Yeah alot of bronco fans wanted to see what the kid we took in the 2nd rd.in 2012 could do. We saw, had some good games, clutch plays, and had some bad games, and eventually got benched because his inability to take control of the offense against a 4-12 football team. Manning came in and immediately used a hard count and audibles to confuse the Chargers defense and lead a comeback.
Brock is not bad but he aint worth $18 mil a year, and seems pretty emotional, reminds me a lite bit of Jay Cutler another guy who left ( traded ) Denver with his feelings hurt.
Brock looked good in the last preseason game but take a look at how he faired in the redzone on the drive where he threw the pick in the endzone, guy can move the chains but he will struggles when he has to make quick decisions and in the redzone everything speeds up.

broncoslover115
08-24-2016, 04:42 PM
A story about Brock's decision to go to Houston. Interesting read.

http://www.nfl.com/osweiler

Broncos-R-Great
08-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Brock has looked sharp so far against the Cardinals.

LSIGRAD09
08-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Brock has looked sharp so far against the Cardinals.

Yeah, he does. I'd say more, but it would probably get me in trouble, lol.

-Rod-
08-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Yes, Osweiler played very well. There's no doubt he's currently better than anything we have at QB. It's just a matter of how long it will take for Lynch to get the Osweiler's level and hopefully he will exceed it.

broncoslover115
08-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Brock looked pretty good to me. Certainly better than our current guys that's for sure.

Didn't like what the announcers said during the game though. They were talking about how Brock did research on Bill O'Brien by watching Hard Knocks and that he liked his honesty and directness.

The announcers were saying how O'Brien is tough, yet fair, direct and honest and different than Brock's other coaches....Fox and Kubes.

I was like what??? Are they saying Fox and Kubes weren't honest, direct and fair? :eek:

samparnell
08-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Yes, Osweiler played very well. There's no doubt he's currently better than anything we have at QB. It's just a matter of how long it will take for Lynch to get the Osweiler's level and hopefully he will exceed it.

Will it matter on 24 October?

brianmcfarlane
08-28-2016, 05:06 PM
Will it matter on 24 October?

NOT A CHANCE! :goz:

CoryWinget81
08-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Actually, it was pretty split on peoples' feelings about Brock. Especially when he failed to put up a TD in two games against Oakland.

Kinda hard to throw TDs when your right tackle is getting eaten alive every play

CoryWinget81
08-29-2016, 09:01 AM

noooooooooooooooope.

ksubroncosfan
08-29-2016, 10:37 AM
Kinda hard to throw TDs when your right tackle is getting eaten alive every play

60* minutes. 0 TD's. Lol

CoryWinget81
08-29-2016, 10:46 AM
120 minutes. 0 TD's. Lol

60 mins, 0 TDS.

Just like Peyton in 2015 against the Raiders.

ksubroncosfan
08-29-2016, 11:07 AM
60 mins, 0 TDS.

Just like Peyton in 2015 against the Raiders.

Yeah, I didn't mean to put 120 for Brock. My bad. Lol but, Peyton was terrible last year! So you're comparing him to our other terrible play at qb? Not exactly the best way to defend him.

From the time he started, he played 13 halves of football. 5 of those halves were without a touchdown by the team. That's not counting if they didn't score in the second and third quarter. Just the first half or second. I'm not sure how that relates to other qb's. I may look into that at a later time when I'm not on my mobile device. But I imagine it's pretty gosh darn awful comparatively.