PDA

View Full Version : Joey Bosa contract holdout

Scheyjosh
08-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Watching this unfold is a little crazy, considering the new cap and how easy it is to sign players since they all fit into slots. My question is that on NFL live, they were saying Bosa could hold out and get re-drafted next year? I had no idea that could happen...and would SD get any comp back?

CTM
08-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Its a good question. I can't imagine SD getting comped with a pick. But I imagine Bosa would become draft-eligible for next year if he doesn't sign this year. I think when Bo Jackson was drafted by the Bucs 1st overall and refused to sign he was subsequently drafted by the Raiders I believe the following season.

baphamet
08-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Its a good question. I can't imagine SD getting comped with a pick. But I imagine Bosa would become draft-eligible for next year if he doesn't sign this year. I think when Bo Jackson was drafted by the Bucs 1st overall and refused to sign he was subsequently drafted by the Raiders I believe the following season.

you are correct and with the CBA and it's slotted rookie contract it means bosa will certainly lose a lot of money if he does that. he cannot enter the 2017 NFL combine either, i don't see him cracking the top 15 next year but i guess it could happen.

dizzolve
08-26-2016, 12:13 AM
So, if they never sign him, it's like they just never had a 3rd overall pick? Costly stand-off SD

baphamet
08-26-2016, 08:50 PM
So, if they never sign him, it's like they just never had a 3rd overall pick? Costly stand-off SD

yep. i think they are banking on bosa not wanting to lose over $10 million and a year of playing, not to mention no guarantees that he is going to like the team that takes him next year or the bonus they are willing to give.

Jonny_Quest
08-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Bo Jackson was a 7th round pick the second time around.

I don't see a good ending to sitting out for the year.

Brutal for the Chargers, though. Two failed first rounders in a row. First they trade up to get Melvin Gordon (aka Trent Richardson 2.0), and now this.

For the record, I had Bosa marked as a bust on my draft board. He's a tweener from what I can see.

I'm guessing this seals it. Even if he signs now, he's going to be so behind, and is going to have a lot of team resentment. Hard to succeed in that scenario.

DrunkPanda
08-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Haha. Only the Chargers could figure out a way to completely throw away a #3 overall pick and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Keep up the good work, Chargers :thumb:

baphamet
08-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Bo Jackson was a 7th round pick the second time around.

I don't see a good ending to sitting out for the year.

Brutal for the Chargers, though. Two failed first rounders in a row. First they trade up to get Melvin Gordon (aka Trent Richardson 2.0), and now this.

For the record, I had Bosa marked as a bust on my draft board. He's a tweener from what I can see.

I'm guessing this seals it. Even if he signs now, he's going to be so behind, and is going to have a lot of team resentment. Hard to succeed in that scenario.

so much bias in this post. so gordon is now considered a failure after one season? after the chargers ex OC ran him out of the shotgun almost 80% of the time behind arguably the worst run blocking in the league last year?

the jury is still out on him.

bosa will be fine after he signs, the locker room will accept him with open arms because most of the vets there have held out before themselves and rivers would never allow anything else.

his rookie season is damaged but it will not affect him long term, unless he doesn't sign at all.

CTM
08-28-2016, 11:19 AM
so much bias in this post. so gordon is now considered a failure after one season? after the chargers ex OC ran him out of the shotgun almost 80% of the time behind arguably the worst run blocking in the league last year?

bosa will be fine after he signs, the locker room will accept him with open arms because most of the vets there have held out before themselves and rivers would never allow anything else.

his rookie season is damaged but it will not affect him long term, unless he doesn't sign at all.

Yeah it's too early to judge Gordon. He didn't have a great rookie year but there are plenty of first round backs who struggle early before hitting their stride.

I think Bosa probably ends up signing within the first 4 weeks of the reg season. He probably goes inactive for a few weeks and then gets on the field for the 2nd half of the season. He has to realize he would be rolling the dice to be picked again in the draft and could very well slip to the middle or late rounds and would get nowhere near the amount of money he could earn now.

Jonny_Quest
08-29-2016, 08:41 PM

They have a term for a running back chosen early in the first round that needs multiple years to develop:

It's called a blown pick

And when you traded up for that pick:

It's called a dumpster fire

baphamet
08-29-2016, 09:21 PM
They have a term for a running back chosen early in the first round that needs multiple years to develop:

It's called a blown pick

And when you traded up for that pick:

It's called a dumpster fire

kind of like your QB situation?

nobody in their right mind talks about blown picks after one season, i don't care what player you are talking about, that is just bias talking like i said before.

BroncoFanDK
08-30-2016, 02:31 AM
kind of like your QB situation?

nobody in their right mind talks about blown picks after one season, i don't care what player you are talking about, that is just bias talking like i said before.

It is nice to see how the Chargers have dominated our division since you signed that brilliant coach that was responsible for Tim Tebow's and Peyton Manning's success!

Dumpster fire at QB - well lets see where we are mid season. The job is get to the playoffs and win 3-4 games. We are used to QB's that make mistakes and then win it when it matters. History has it that Elway, Plummer, Tebow and 2015 Manning were able to do that. We generally prefer ugly wins over pretty losses, but I like how pretty the Chargers play. It is like the Kyle Orton led Broncos - experts at pretty losses!

baphamet
08-30-2016, 12:52 PM
It is nice to see how the Chargers have dominated our division since you signed that brilliant coach that was responsible for Tim Tebow's and Peyton Manning's success!

Dumpster fire at QB - well lets see where we are mid season. The job is get to the playoffs and win 3-4 games. We are used to QB's that make mistakes and then win it when it matters. History has it that Elway, Plummer, Tebow and 2015 Manning were able to do that. We generally prefer ugly wins over pretty losses, but I like how pretty the Chargers play. It is like the Kyle Orton led Broncos - experts at pretty losses!

i was just responding to that other dude talking smack, i'm not interested in talking smack here any further than that. you want to talk smack? you know where to find me.

to be fair though, your defense does still look really good and i'm not saying your team is bad overall. i think a lot of you will be surprised by melvin gordon this season if he can stay healthy and maybe i will be surprised by siemian too, who knows?

Jonny_Quest
09-04-2016, 01:32 PM
i was just responding to that other dude talking smack, i'm not interested in talking smack here any further than that. you want to talk smack? you know where to find me.

to be fair though, your defense does still look really good and i'm not saying your team is bad overall. i think a lot of you will be surprised by melvin gordon this season if he can stay healthy and maybe i will be surprised by siemian too, who knows?

Not talking smack. I actually feel bad for you guys. You have a great QB and Telesco is wasting his final years with bad drafting and bad roster management.

If you have a top 15 pick, and you don't get a productive starter from year one, you've blown the pick. Blowing two in a row is brutal.

And, yes, our QB situation could be a dumpster fire. We'll see over the next 4 months.