PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Trade Sam Bradford to Vikings

DevilSpawn
09-03-2016, 08:14 AM
By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer

In a stunning move that thrusts the Vikings right back into the NFC North arms race, Minnesota executed a blockbuster trade for Eagles quarterback and former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford on Saturday, the Eagles announced.

The Vikings gave up a first-round pick in 2017 and a fourth-round pick in 2018 -- a massive price to pay for what could amount to one season of work.

The news was first reported by ESPN and, oddly enough, mentioned in a deleted tweet by Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Wade Phillips earlier on Saturday morning.

More here:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000694979/article/vikings-trade-for-eagles-qb-sam-bradford

Blondie79
09-03-2016, 08:52 AM
The vikings got fleeced!.

-Rod-
09-03-2016, 09:16 AM
I can imagine the excitement of Vikings fans.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2248/2139454548_aa916774cc.jpg

CTM
09-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Wooooooooooooow....... Similar to when the Raiders dealt for Carson Palmer when Jason Campbell was playing well and he went down. Bradford is no where near worth a 1st rounder, but Bridgewater going down created huge demand on the Vikings part. If I were the Vikings I would've explored dealing for a young backup with potential, someone like Brett Hundley or AJ McCarron.

This probably means Carson Wentz will see the field at some point this season.

roushmartin6
09-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Vikings got robbed. Their gm needs fired

ksubroncosfan
09-03-2016, 10:15 AM
While the Vikings are ridiculous for what they gave up. If and its a HUGE if, Sam Bradford stays healthy, there offense will most likely be better than last year by the end of the year.

Strip Sacked
09-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Didn't their idiot GM make a comment just like two days ago that they weren't going to dentriment their future for a 1-year rental?

CanDB
09-03-2016, 10:35 AM
I believe the Vikes and all their supporters thought this was going to be the year. A nice blend of strong D and multiple offensive weapons. With Teddy going down for the entire season, they did not like what they had, so they made a move to get a QB that has sufficient experience and reasonable upside. A guy that many had rated "can't miss" when he came out of college. In return, they give up a 1st next season and a 4th beyond, but if all goes well, it will be a late 1st......still a big sacrifice.

Compare to what we have. We have a better D, but we don't have AP. Some of their young guns are exciting as well. So when we say that all Trevor has to do......The Vikes are saying the same thing, but for a proven entity. So in that sense, they are very much in the hunt, if we are.

Bold move. Might be a great move. Might not.

SecondsAway131
09-03-2016, 11:53 AM
As much as everyone seems to hate on Sam Bradford (a lot of it is deserved), he's practically changed offensive coordinators every single offseason of his NFL career. If there's anyone you want to sign and expect to pick up your offense in a matter of days, it's Bradford.

ksubroncosfan
09-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Didn't their idiot GM make a comment just like two days ago that they weren't going to dentriment their future for a 1-year rental?

In his defense, they have bradford for 2 years ;)

ksubroncosfan
09-03-2016, 11:58 AM
I believe the Vikes and all their supporters thought this was going to be the year. A nice blend of strong D and multiple offensive weapons. With Teddy going down for the entire season, they did not like what they had, so they made a move to get a QB that has sufficient experience and reasonable upside. A guy that many had rated "can't miss" when he came out of college. In return, they give up a 1st next season and a 4th beyond, but if all goes well, it will be a late 1st......still a big sacrifice.

Compare to what we have. We have a better D, but we don't have AP. Some of their young guns are exciting as well. So when we say that all Trevor has to do......The Vikes are saying the same thing, but for a proven entity. So in that sense, they are very much in the hunt, if we are.

I personally think they will be better by the end of the year with Bradford (once again, IF he stays healthy) than if they would have had Teddy. In my opinion, Bradford is the better qb. This is the best situation Bradford has ever been in, so I'll be interested to see how he does.

Thors Hammer
09-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Wow, I thought if they were going to make a deal for a QB that they might offer a 1st to Cincy fo A.J. McCarron.

That's a pretty big ransom to pay for a guy who would have likely been riding the bench by midseason.

Rancid
09-03-2016, 12:17 PM
And to think they could have had Sanchez for say.....oh, I don't know, maybe a punter? :laugh:

Rastic
09-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Words fail.

Bradford is soooooooooooo overrate and though the Vikes are in a corner with Bridgewater's injury, they paid way too much. The Eagles should get an award for this trade.

ksubroncosfan
09-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Words fail.

Bradford is soooooooooooo overrate and though the Vikes are in a corner with Bridgewater's injury, they paid way too much. The Eagles should get an award for this trade.

Can you be overrated when you're constantly berated?

FL BRONCO
09-03-2016, 04:41 PM
:jawdrop::eek::speech:

Wow. Their GM just said he wasn't going to mortgage the future over a move for today. So much for that idea. The only way they didn't give up too much imo is if they win the SB this year. I wouldn't bet on that. Then what happens next year if Teddy is better and they have about the same or slightly better results with Bradford. I know it was a heck of a blow to lose Teddy like that, but I'd be pissed if I was a Vikings fan. I'd almost think their GM trained with the Browns. But then again, I think this move makes the Browns moves look great. Just my opinion though.

Jaws
09-04-2016, 02:09 AM
Perhaps Teddy's injury is worse than people think and he may not be ready to go next season even.

flosstein
09-04-2016, 05:34 AM
I also think they over paid. But I look at it like this, Norv Turner is one of the best OC's in the game today. He's like Wade Phillips, but on offense. He knows exactly what he wanted and Sam fit the bill. They have a very good OL, some talented young receivers, and an AP with plenty of gas left in the tank.

Sam is not the turnover machine that a guy like Sanchez is. He knows that a solid season means a huge payday from a number of teams that will be QB poor next season, like the Jets, 49ers, Cards, Saints, Browns, etc....... And he has a minimal cap impact. The Eagles did all the heavy lifting in that regard. And he was the best QB available. As long as he stays healthy, they will still make a deep playoff run. And that stability and confidence for the team would justify the high price paid.

ksubroncosfan
09-04-2016, 07:22 AM
I also think they over paid. But I look at it like this, Norv Turner is one of the best OC's in the game today. He's like Wade Phillips, but on offense. He knows exactly what he wanted and Sam fit the bill. They have a very good OL, some talented young receivers, and an AP with plenty of gas left in the tank.

Sam is not the turnover machine that a guy like Sanchez is. He knows that a solid season means a huge payday from a number of teams that will be QB poor next season, like the Jets, 49ers, Cards, Saints, Browns, etc....... And he has a minimal cap impact. The Eagles did all the heavy lifting in that regard. And he was the best QB available. As long as he stays healthy, they will still make a deep playoff run. And that stability and confidence for the team would justify the high price paid.

The cardinals just signed Palmer to an extension I'm pretty sure. So, they shouldn't be added to the list of teams looking to pay some qb next year. Maybe draft one as the qb of the future. But, I agree with you on the rest of your post.

baphamet
09-04-2016, 08:59 AM
this is the state of QB's in the NFL right now, yes they over-paid but any starting quality QB's are getting a kings ransom this year.

Cladyfan
09-04-2016, 10:36 AM
this is the state of QB's in the NFL right now, yes they over-paid but any starting quality QB's are getting a kings ransom this year.

Which would be an excellent point, if Bradford were starting quality. Potential game manager status is not worth a fourth, not counting the first. NFL really needs to start its own development league.

samparnell
09-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Which would be an excellent point, if Bradford were starting quality. Potential game manager status is not worth a fourth, not counting the first. NFL really needs to start its own development league.

There has also been talk of an academy where developmental players would be coached and provide a pool from which each team could sign.

Cladyfan
09-04-2016, 12:12 PM
There has also been talk of an academy where developmental players would be coached and provide a pool from which each team could sign.

It would certainly help. At this point, I feel like the NFL's lack of action is what will destroy the game, not medical issues. Either they need to do something like this, or give college teams incentive to not go with all this spread offense type garbage.

Dont get me wrong, new offense types are dandy, but we're getting players in the league who cant do the most basic parts of their jobs, and its really, really bad on oline and qb. If all the NFL does is focus on offense, and not even good offense I worry it will turn into a watered down version of the NBA.

ksubroncosfan
09-04-2016, 12:40 PM

Don't understand this comment. Bradford is easily starting quality. Now he has to be available to start. But when he is actually playing, he is always good enough to start for someone.

Jonny_Quest
09-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Wow. The Eagles GM just pulled off the heist of the month.

Unfortunately he was the victim of this year's heist of the year =|

flosstein
09-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Don't understand this comment. Bradford is easily starting quality. Now he has to be available to start. But when he is actually playing, he is always good enough to start for someone.

Totally agree. While I'm not a fan of his by any stretch, his issue is actually staying on the field. I don't think he's played a full season since being drafted.

Cladyfan
09-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Totally agree. While I'm not a fan of his by any stretch, his issue is actually staying on the field. I don't think he's played a full season since being drafted.

Looking at these stats: http://www.nfl.com/player/sambradford/497095/careerstats he's average at best, and both you and ksu nailed why he isnt even worth a 4th. You're worthless riding pine and actually hurt your team when you're the qb and supposed to be a team leader yet cant actually do it. Further still is his hissy fit following the draft which proves even more in my opinion that he isnt a leader. Eagles GM just destroyed the Vikings.

ksubroncosfan
09-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Looking at these stats: http://www.nfl.com/player/sambradford/497095/careerstats he's average at best, and both you and ksu nailed why he isnt even worth a 4th. You're worthless riding pine and actually hurt your team when you're the qb and supposed to be a team leader yet cant actually do it. Further still is his hissy fit following the draft which proves even more in my opinion that he isnt a leader. Eagles GM just destroyed the Vikings.

Stats aren't everything. He's never had a good offense around him. I bet you if he plays all 16 games, he will be the most efficient of his career this year. Although, he will probably struggle at first since he has a week to learn everything for them. But, I do agree he isn't worth that based on his injury proned history for sure.

Disclaimer: this isn't me saying that Bradford is this great qb. I just think he can match Teddy's just slightly above average qb play last year.

BroncoFanDK
09-05-2016, 06:56 AM

I can understand the upside of this for the Vikings, and he might be better than Teddy Bridgewater. What I don't understand though is that people are so hot on Bradford. When we compare to what Tebow did in his limited amount of games in Denver, he made a bigger impact on the team, got it further, won more games, had fewer turnovers, more TD's, and produced the same amount of 4th Q and game winning drives in 14 games as Bradford has produced in 6 years as a starter.

It flabbergasts me that results caount for so little. When TT started in Denver the average gain by Willis went up something like 60% over what it was with Orton handling the ball, and I could only imagine what it could have looked like with Adrian Petersen instead of Willis McGahee.

I sure hope that our current crop of QB's take more from the bite and scratch that Elway, Plummer and Tebow stood for, than the polished stuff that we had with Griese and Orton.

flosstein
09-05-2016, 10:47 AM
Stats aren't everything. He's never had a good offense around him. I bet you if he plays all 16 games, he will be the most efficient of his career this year. Although, he will probably struggle at first since he has a week to learn everything for them. But, I do agree he isn't worth that based on his injury proned history for sure.

Disclaimer: this isn't me saying that Bradford is this great qb. I just think he can match Teddy's just slightly above average qb play last year.

Again, I totally agree! With all the pieces that they have in MIN, as long as he can stay on the field and not commit costly turnovers, they can continue to compete for the division. As this will by fa be the best team, FO, and coaching staff he's been a part of since he was drafted. I'm not expecting him to be Aaron Rogers, but I expect at least Alex Smith level production.

JPPT1974
09-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Really do not agree with the Eagles putting over in the QB with Carson Wentz. Due to three preseason games he did not play. But still has some ribs issue. However, Eagles defense will have to carry the team until Carson can really pick up the offense good.

Joshua2585
09-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Holy smokes... what are the Vikings doing? I guess they feel like they have a shot to win it all, even with average QB play. They should have just given us 2 first rounders for Mark Sanchez...

Freyaka
09-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Holy smokes... what are the Vikings doing? I guess they feel like they have a shot to win it all, even with average QB play. They should have just given us 2 first rounders for Mark Sanchez...

I am really afraid this means they know something about Bridgewater's chances of recovery that the general public hasn't been made aware of yet. (I hope not) but You don't do something like this for one season, this is more than just a short term fix.

Freyaka
09-06-2016, 12:15 PM

We justneed to get NFL Europe back up and running.

TheAsianPA
09-06-2016, 12:55 PM
What a deep investment in a shaky prospect that Bradford is. The dude cannot stay healthy and I can't remember if he played a full season or not. Either way, it looks like Hill is starting over Bradford until Bradford becomes ready. The way I see it, the Vikings feel they have a legitimate chance this year at winning the division (hard to see since GB is getting Jordy Nelson back, and no way they fall apart as badly as they did last season), or even getting the NFC championship title. They're pretty stacked at all positions and their defense is not that far from where ours is. Though I personally believe they gave up way too much for Bradford, I can't blame them seeing how this may be one of their few chances to dominate.