PDA

View Full Version : Official Game Day Thread: Week 8: 2016 Chargers vs Broncos

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

TheAsianPA
10-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Honestly...I think trading at this point is a bad idea...You need to leave what little chemistry we have intact and hope we can grow. If you shuffle the line, you are essentially starting at square one. Any trades that happen now, should have happened before the season.

agreed. At this point it's too far into the season to expect good chemistry from a new player. I was surprised we went for Turner this late into the season, if for anything aside from depth.

Fantaztic7
10-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Great, you were right then, that doesn't make you right now. Trevor's issue is he has to think fast because he has split seconds before a defender puts him in the turf...

If we can fix the o-line and he's still struggling, then you might have a point. Until then, we've already seen what Paxton can do and I'm beyond unimpressed.

Siemian played pretty well all things considered. In the first half the offense was too much passing IMHO - 80% of the plays. There was more balance in the 2nd half and the total was 63% pass (was slightly higher counting Siemian running three times under pressure).

Siemian ended up with 276 yards and 1 INT which looked like Norwood's fault. Siemian isn't perfect but he made enough plays and a lot of those were under pressure.

BR0NCOFANATIC
10-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Yes, this will help the run game.

You did the run game is going to be good when the defense knows you're not throwing more than 10 yards? Nope!

Dotst
10-30-2016, 08:01 PM
What changed from the Texans game to this one? Does SD have a way better run defense than them or did we just not use our TE for blocking like we did last game?

listopencil
10-30-2016, 08:07 PM
What changed from the Texans game to this one? Does SD have a way better run defense than them or did we just not use our TE for blocking like we did last game?

We had 0 rushing yards in the first quarter. Zero. And it's not like we were getting stuffed, we just weren't trying to run the ball. They tried to use the pass to set up the run and it didn't work.

TheAsianPA
10-30-2016, 08:17 PM
In all honesty, this is probably a game we shouldn't have won based on how much talent is missing. No Talib, No CJ, no Brandon Marshall, Our friggin defensive coordinator himself injured early in the game and taken out, our best O-lineman Paradis sidelined - yet we still pull out a relatively convincing defensive win. Our depth shows how strong this team really is with Doss, Roby, Crick, and Simmons really showing up instead. Could it have been prettier? Yes. But consider how this game could and should have gone I'll take the W. We should have all key players back for the Oakland game, and God knows we'll need them all.

Fantaztic7
10-30-2016, 08:37 PM

Broncos only attempted runs on 20% of the snaps in the first half. In the game against the Texans the run plays were around 62% (IIRC). Maybe that had to do with the Chargers setting up in run defense and Kubiak decided to pass more. In either case it's hard to get the run game going when you pass that much. In the 2nd half the play calling was much more balanced as we ended up with around 63% passing for the game.

Fantaztic7
10-30-2016, 08:38 PM
In all honesty, this is probably a game we shouldn't have won based on how much talent is missing. No Talib, No CJ, no Brandon Marshall, Our friggin defensive coordinator himself injured early in the game and taken out, our best O-lineman Paradis sidelined - yet we still pull out a relatively convincing defensive win. Our depth shows how strong this team really is with Doss, Roby, Crick, and Simmons really showing up instead. Could it have been prettier? Yes. But consider how this game could and should have gone I'll take the W. We should have all key players back for the Oakland game, and God knows we'll need them all.

Oakland will be a test however Carr has not faced a defense like ours this season.

Fantaztic7
10-30-2016, 08:56 PM
We had 0 rushing yards in the first quarter. Zero. And it's not like we were getting stuffed, we just weren't trying to run the ball. They tried to use the pass to set up the run and it didn't work.

They did the same thing during the Thursday night game. I'm not sure what is causing Kubiak/Dennison to pass so much especially in the first half. I understand trying to pass more when the Chargers are lined up with 8 in the box - just seems like too many attempts passing.

TheAsianPA
10-30-2016, 09:52 PM
They did the same thing during the Thursday night game. I'm not sure what is causing Kubiak/Dennison to pass so much especially in the first half. I understand trying to pass more when the Chargers are lined up with 8 in the box - just seems like too many attempts passing.

I honestly didn't mind as much, it's worth taking advantage of your WR's when you can...but that being said the 1st quarter was absolutely atrocious. Pass pro just isn't there the majority of the time.

listopencil
10-30-2016, 10:44 PM
Honestly...I think trading at this point is a bad idea...You need to leave what little chemistry we have intact and hope we can grow. If you shuffle the line, you are essentially starting at square one. Any trades that happen now, should have happened before the season.

Yeah, I am leaning that way myself. What sucks to me is that if we were passing to take advantage of SD playing a lot of run D then we should have had success in 2WR/2TE/1RB sets against them. There is so much that you should be able to do to a Defense lining up like that if you have players that can threaten from every skill position and you can manage to create even average run blocking and pass pro. The game plan should have worked.

Margaritaville
10-31-2016, 12:07 AM
This defense will be exhausted by week 11

Well good thing then that Week #11 is our BYE WEEK!

MileHighInNY
10-31-2016, 08:24 AM

One factor yesterday was almost certainly the absence of CJ Anderson. To run a lot you need at least two backs you feel confident in because you don't want to wear out your one guy. Booker is looking really good and with him and CJ going 1-2 it gave the Broncos a ton of flexibility to run as much as they wanted without really worrying about the runners getting fatigued. Now with Booker as the starter and Bibbs the backup, you lost a lot of quality at that #2 spot, so you need to be a bit more judicious in how many times you run the ball.

Fantaztic7
10-31-2016, 11:11 AM
One factor yesterday was almost certainly the absence of CJ Anderson. To run a lot you need at least two backs you feel confident in because you don't want to wear out your one guy. Booker is looking really good and with him and CJ going 1-2 it gave the Broncos a ton of flexibility to run as much as they wanted without really worrying about the runners getting fatigued. Now with Booker as the starter and Bibbs the backup, you lost a lot of quality at that #2 spot, so you need to be a bit more judicious in how many times you run the ball.

80% of the snaps in the 1st half were pass plays. That is more than being judicious with Booker. He can handle more than a handful of snaps in one half.

Njbroncofan1
10-31-2016, 11:32 AM
is norwood still on this team?? this guy has killed this team. No one wants to see a guy lose his job but what has he contributed ?

Fantaztic7
10-31-2016, 01:24 PM
is norwood still on this team?? this guy has killed this team. No one wants to see a guy lose his job but what has he contributed ?

Sort of ironic Norwood caused INT vs. Chargers last game of season 2015 and did it again yesterday.

#24 Next Champ
10-31-2016, 02:18 PM
I don't see how anyone could have more confidence in Pax than Trevor after seeing his start. Granted the OL was quite porous but it's the same line Trevor's playing behind.

With our elite receivers, accuracy is a major factor. It's more important than the raw ability to extend plays or run for a 1st down a couple times a game. Paxton wasn't just inaccurate for his start, it shook my confidence in Paxton to be honest. I figure it's just rookie stuff and resign myself to patience.

I do wish Pax was ready too. But that start of his was scary.

Yeah I'll agree he looked pretty bad

Frustrating that this is what the Broncos were okay going into the year with at QB. Wish we had Dak.

Same situation as last year. Amazing D. Talent on O, but trash at QB....

Hopefully we stay healthy and the D can carry all the way again

Don't think we'll have home field over Pats tho and that'll put them in SB

-Rod-
10-31-2016, 02:20 PM
Sort of ironic Norwood caused INT vs. Chargers last game of season 2015 and did it again yesterday.

It's not ironic. It's moronic. :P

I mean, it's not very smart to have a WR like Norwood on the roster with so much talent at WR around the league.

Fantaztic7
10-31-2016, 03:16 PM
It's not ironic. It's moronic. :P

I mean, it's not very smart to have a WR like Norwood on the roster with so much talent at WR around the league.

So true. Why not give Taylor and Fowler more opportunities. Heck why not give Kalif Raymond a shot. Can't see them playing worse than Norwood.

TheAsianPA
10-31-2016, 05:34 PM
So true. Why not give Taylor and Fowler more opportunities. Heck why not give Kalif Raymond a shot. Can't see them playing worse than Norwood.

Agreed. Taylor is due to start over Norwood at this point. That 35 yard reception in the opening drive is better than anything Norwood has done in the last 8 games