PDA

View Full Version : Cfl

Interceptor
08-18-2017, 06:57 AM
Been wondering if the Canadian Football League tries to protect their players from injury as much as NFL. Late QB hits, leading with helmet, etc. Also penalties for excessive celebration? Anyone watch them? Is it a good game? As you can tell I don't have access to watch their games. It may be a better way to spend this time of year, rather than preseason NFL. Of course I am very interested in Bronco storylines this time of year. Although I am tired of QB controversy, my 2 cents...Lynch will be OK, be patient.

CanDB
08-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Hey pal. I am a long, long time fan of The CFL, though I have been a bigger NFL fan for many years. My team is The Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Growing up, they were a great team! Lots of championships, and lots of quality players. I often relate the story that, in the earlier days, some CFLers made more money than NFLers.

The CFL is a more wide open game. Bigger field, one less down, and overall, not quite as bulky players. That's not always the case, but is more the norm. The CFL also caters to Canadians, and has always (as long as I can remember) had minimum levels of canucks on each team. BUT that does not prevent us from having a plethora of exciting athletes, including many gifted Americans who were either a bit too small, or whatever, to make The NFL. And you probably know, but there have been a lot of well known/respected players who have spent some time here....like Warren Moon, Joe Theismann, Doug Flutie and Cameron Wake, to name a few.

The CFL does protect its players, probably similar to that of The NFL. It usually aligns itself with The NFL in most of the basics of the game, other than the 3 downs, punt return rules, single points and OT.

I guess we are lucky here, because we get to watch both leagues, and many of us football fans love both.

Is The CFL a close rival of The NFL....I would say no. But it is a solid league that has lasted for many decades, and will last forever as far as I can tell. And people who attend The Grey Cup will tell you that the partying is as good as it gets!!! (The part they remember);).

Butler By'Note
08-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Hey pal. I am a long, long time fan of The CFL, though I have been a bigger NFL fan for many years. My team is The Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Growing up, they were a great team! Lots of championships, and lots of quality players. I often relate the story that, in the earlier days, some CFLers made more money than NFLers.

The CFL is a more wide open game. Bigger field, one less down, and overall, not quite as bulky players. That's not always the case, but is more the norm. The CFL also caters to Canadians, and has always (as long as I can remember) had minimum levels of canucks on each team. BUT that does not prevent us from having a plethora of exciting athletes, including many gifted Americans who were either a bit too small, or whatever, to make The NFL. And you probably know, but there have been a lot of well known/respected players who have spent some time here....like Warren Moon, Joe Theismann, Doug Flutie and Cameron Wake, to name a few.

The CFL does protect its players, probably similar to that of The NFL. It usually aligns itself with The NFL in most of the basics of the game, other than the 3 downs, punt return rules, single points and OT.

I guess we are lucky here, because we get to watch both leagues, and many of us football fans love both.

Is The CFL a close rival of The NFL....I would say no. But it is a solid league that has lasted for many decades, and will last forever as far as I can tell. And people who attend The Grey Cup will tell you that the partying is as good as it gets!!! (The part they remember);).

I like the rule in spirit, but I hate that if a team has a Canadian injured during the game they either need to replace him with a Canadian or make another switch somewhere else to ensure that X number of Canadians are on the field during each play. I also find it funny how certain positions are considered "Canadian" positions and other positions are considered "American" positions. As an example Safety has typically been a Canadian position but corner is an American position.

I also wish they'd give more Canadian QBs a chance, glad that Buckley is the backup in Calgary, hopefully he gets the chance to start somewhere, because he's good enough to.

CanDB
08-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Yes, I too like the rule in spirit. And you are right, for the majority of years, some positions were more likely to be Canadians or Americans. There has been a formula, though it might have shifted over the decades. Generally, if I can be so general, the more skilled the position the more likely it was filled by an American. But there are exceptions no doubt.

I have great memories of this league growing up. And I always remember my Uncle Lou, who was my hero growing up, explaining how the teams with the best canucks would more likely be winners. He made it clear that GMs had to assess canuck talent with a keen eye, whereas there were so many good Americans to choose from with similar skill. For example, finding an American RB or WR was relatively easy, whereas the talent pool for canucks was not overly abundant. So yes, if you could find the best canucks, you held the advantage.

Interesting discussion. Lucky to have 2 great leagues to follow!