PDA

View Full Version : NHL Playoffs!!

CanDB
04-10-2018, 01:26 PM
It's that time of year again!

Luckily (for me and the locals) The Jets are back in the playoffs. Have to say, we are a contender as well. If all paths go as expected, we meet Nashville in round two, and many are calling this the series of the playoffs. The winner will be a top 2 fav for the cup. It would be a shame that one of these teams has to be exit that early! Many of my pals and I believe Nashville is the #1 team as we speak, but our Jets are a real threat.

Beyond that, there are the usual many stories yet to be determined. Usually it comes down to great goal tending. And there will likely be an upset or two. Interesting though how Vegas played good hockey all year long, in their first ever season! I can not think of a sports team that excelled as they did, in their very first year!! Congratz to them!

Stay tuned....

CanDB
04-11-2018, 08:35 AM
This city is rocking today, with Jets jerseys everywhere, and big time excitement for tonight's home game against Minnesota. Watch out for The White Out....

http://www.hockeytickets.ca/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/winnipeg-jets-white-out.jpg

CanDB
04-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Tonite is "White Out" game 2.

GO JETS GO!!!

http://www.jadeinnchinesefood.com/gojetsgo_600x250.jpeg

Lots of great hockey going on now!!

DenverBlood
04-13-2018, 11:27 AM
It's that time of year again!

Luckily (for me and the locals) The Jets are back in the playoffs. Have to say, we are a contender as well. If all paths go as expected, we meet Nashville in round two, and many are calling this the series of the playoffs. The winner will be a top 2 fav for the cup. It would be a shame that one of these teams has to be exit that early! Many of my pals and I believe Nashville is the #1 team as we speak, but our Jets are a real threat.

Beyond that, there are the usual many stories yet to be determined. Usually it comes down to great goal tending. And there will likely be an upset or two. Interesting though how Vegas played good hockey all year long, in their first ever season! I can not think of a sports team that excelled as they did, in their very first year!! Congratz to them!

Stay tuned....

Hey now. I take offense to this. Ya'll have to get past Minnesota first and Nashville has to get past us. (Though the latter shouldn't be that difficult). But we matched up well last night for about 47 minutes and then just fell apart down the stretch.

CanDB
04-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Hey now. I take offense to this. Ya'll have to get past Minnesota first and Nashville has to get past us. (Though the latter shouldn't be that difficult). But we matched up well last night for about 47 minutes and then just fell apart down the stretch.

Ha ha.....I was wondering how much I could get away with til someone else joined in!! Listen DB, I like The Avs. And MacKinnon might be the MVP this season. I do think they are in a very difficult series to kick things off, and would be happy to see them beat The Preds. However, if a Jets/Preds series does take place, the rivalry has become quite intense this season as they battled it our for first place, so it could be a war. But yes, ahead of myself.

But listen...good to hear from someone else about hockey!:thumb:

Rancid
04-13-2018, 05:26 PM
The Av's got pwned by Nashville last night. The hitting was brutal!

DenverBlood
04-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Ha ha.....I was wondering how much I could get away with til someone else joined in!! Listen DB, I like The Avs. And MacKinnon might be the MVP this season. I do think they are in a very difficult series to kick things off, and would be happy to see them beat The Preds. However, if a Jets/Preds series does take place, the rivalry has become quite intense this season as they battled it our for first place, so it could be a war. But yes, ahead of myself.

But listen...good to hear from someone else about hockey!:thumb:

Well after both teams home games they are both looking good and two steps closer to that weird reality.

DenverBlood
04-17-2018, 08:48 AM
Not really happy but not really shocked to see Minnesota dominate game 3. That's an extremely tough playoff environment.

Really stoked though to see the Avs avoid the 3-0 deficit by taking the first home game. Would love to take game 4 and make this a long series for the Predators.

Also Can I was just talking to a buddy about geography and why the Preds are in the Western conference. And I had to google the locations of all the Canadian teams as I'm not great at geography period and even less knowledgeable of your country.

Anyways I apologize if I'm mistaken stories in the past but I thought I've seen you say in the past you live near Saskatchewan? If that is true it appears you are closer to Edmonton than Winnipeg by a good margin. So my question to you is how did you become a Winnipeg fan? I feel like I've seen you mention this story before but I can't recall the reasons. Family ties to the original franchise?

CanDB
04-18-2018, 06:16 AM
Not really happy but not really shocked to see Minnesota dominate game 3. That's an extremely tough playoff environment.

Really stoked though to see the Avs avoid the 3-0 deficit by taking the first home game. Would love to take game 4 and make this a long series for the Predators.

Also Can I was just talking to a buddy about geography and why the Preds are in the Western conference. And I had to google the locations of all the Canadian teams as I'm not great at geography period and even less knowledgeable of your country.

Anyways I apologize if I'm mistaken stories in the past but I thought I've seen you say in the past you live near Saskatchewan? If that is true it appears you are closer to Edmonton than Winnipeg by a good margin. So my question to you is how did you become a Winnipeg fan? I feel like I've seen you mention this story before but I can't recall the reasons. Family ties to the original franchise?

First...congratz on the win the other night!

Second....Jets up 3 to 1, on a beaten up Wild team. No way can they play top level hockey minus 2 of their best - Suter and Parise. But that's sports. Not being a homer when I say The Jets are better right now.

As for Geography....it sounds weird that Nashville is in The West. Even funnier was when we got our team back, and played against Southeast teams for the first season.....given we were previously from Atlanta.

But I live right in the middle of Canada, an hour drive north of North Dakota/Minnesota. Saskatchewan is directly to our west, but it's about a 4 hour drive. We're actually much closer to The Ontario border to our East.

But I'm here in Winnipeg.....this is my home. This is where The Jets reside. And sorry, never an Edmonton fan!!!

But geography is fun!!

DenverBlood
04-18-2018, 07:22 AM
First...congratz on the win the other night!

Second....Jets up 3 to 1, on a beaten up Wild team. No way can they play top level hockey minus 2 of their best - Suter and Parise. But that's sports. Not being a homer when I say The Jets are better right now.

As for Geography....it sounds weird that Nashville is in The West. Even funnier was when we got our team back, and played against Southeast teams for the first season.....given we were previously from Atlanta.

But I live right in the middle of Canada, an hour drive north of North Dakota/Minnesota. Saskatchewan is directly to our west, but it's about a 4 hour drive. We're actually much closer to The Ontario border to our East.

But I'm here in Winnipeg.....this is my home. This is where The Jets reside. And sorry, never an Edmonton fan!!!

But geography is fun!!

Ok my mistake. I know I've heard you reference Saskatchewan before but it must've been for another reason. So now that I'm aware it makes more sense why you are a Jets fan. Besides the Oilers haven't given much reason for fans to remain since the Gretzky days.

Also about your series I posted that before you guys won last night. And I was never implying anything ridiculous like Minnesota being a better team. Just commenting that it's an extremely tough environment to play in come playoffs as evidenced in game 3. But you guys did a great job adjusting and bouncing back last night. And now I expect the series to be over in game 5.

I'm hoping the Avs can win tonight and force Nashville into a game 6 minimum if not 7. Hopefully that will give you guys some rest and can take advantage of a tired Predators team in round 2. If the Avs go out I'm rooting for everyone who plays Nashville the rest of the way.

broncolee
04-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Does hockey have some kind of weird rules for how expansion teams acquire players that made it possible for the Golden Knights to be so good this quickly?

I’m not a hockey fan but I pay some attention to the playoffs. Are the Knights stacked with veteran players? I might root for them from afar just because it would be funny for the new team to win the championship.

I’ve only seen one game in arena and liked it. Haven’t been able to see a in arena for quite some time and don’t really like watching hockey on tv.

DenverBlood
04-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Does hockey have some kind of weird rules for how expansion teams acquire players that made it possible for the Golden Knights to be so good this quickly?

I’m not a hockey fan but I pay some attention to the playoffs. Are the Knights stacked with veteran players? I might root for them from afar just because it would be funny for the new team to win the championship.

I’ve only seen one game in arena and liked it. Haven’t been able to see a in arena for quite some time and don’t really like watching hockey on tv.

They have an expansion draft where they are allowed to select a veteran from all other teams. And the teams are allowed to block certain players. But if they don't block them then they have to give up draft picks to keep a player that the team selected.

So like they have Theo Fluery as their Goaltender who is a multi Stanley cup winner from the Penguins.

It's rare for an NHL expansion team to be this good in year one even with this concept. But it's not rare that it doesn't take them very long to compete. The Florida Panthers were in the finals against the Avs in I believe year 3. And I believe I read the Oilers made the playoffs their expansion year. I think they said Vegas is the first expansion in the playoffs since like '79.

Some people hate the tactic. Personally I like it. The NHL is trying to market the product to new markets. You're not going to do that successfully by giving them a garbage franchise for a decade. The easiest way to do that is to stockpile them with either
A. Veteran talent from around the league or
B. Stockpiled draft picks from the other teams.

And then give the fans something to be excited about right away.

I know some peoples opinions are the pre-existing fans of other teams shouldn't have to see a new fan base be rewarded so quickly. I don't really agree with that. Those fans either have low attendance or bad ownership to blame for their teams lack of success not the NHL.

I also don't think the NHL is the only league to employ this concept. You can't field an entire 20 man roster through one draft. They have to be able to dress a 20 man roster season 1. You can't do that with one pick per round.
I'm fairly certain when the Rockies came to town in 93 they acquired some veteran talent from around the league the same way. And they were in the playoffs by 96.

Think about an NFL roster of 53 men. You would have to draft for 7 years to field that roster or else put up with practice squad players. That's not good for anyone in the league to have a team full of PS players. It's been a lot longer since NFL expanded and I would have to look it up but I imagine they have a similar system.

The other sports might allow more blocking of top talent though.

DenverBlood
04-21-2018, 05:34 AM
Stunned the Avs stole a game in Nashville last night. With their third string goalie. So much heart.

Can congrats on the Jets advancing. You may have to wait a week cuz we arenít done trying yet.

CanDB
04-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Sad to say that either The Jets or Preds is getting knocked out this coming round. These are two top tier teams. That's the way the cookie crumbles this year.

CanDB
04-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Not a lot of action here, but just going to mention that round two is underway, and (again) look for a great series between my Jets and The Preds, starting tonight!

Enjoyed the Pittsburgh win over Washington. These teams must hate each other, given how many playoff matches they've had of late!

Go Tampa and Vegas, although San Jose will be tough.

DenverBlood
04-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Sad to say that either The Jets or Preds is getting knocked out this coming round. These are two top tier teams. That's the way the cookie crumbles this year.

That's the way the cookie crumbles every year with this incredibly dumb new playoff format. I think twice now the Caps and Pens have met second round as the top two seeds in the Eastern Conference. When that matchup should be reserved for conference finals.

Not a lot of action here, but just going to mention that round two is underway, and (again) look for a great series between my Jets and The Preds, starting tonight!

Enjoyed the Pittsburgh win over Washington. These teams must hate each other, given how many playoff matches they've had of late!

Go Tampa and Vegas, although San Jose will be tough.

I was shocked at how easily Vegas disposed of San Jose last night. :jawdrop:

CanDB
04-27-2018, 06:57 PM
That's the way the cookie crumbles every year with this incredibly dumb new playoff format. I think twice now the Caps and Pens have met second round as the top two seeds in the Eastern Conference. When that matchup should be reserved for conference finals.

I was shocked at how easily Vegas disposed of San Jose last night. :jawdrop:

The format needs to change.

As for Vegas.....one of the sports stories of the year! It's nuts how successful this new team has been!!

DenverBlood
04-27-2018, 08:53 PM
The format needs to change.

As for Vegas.....one of the sports stories of the year! It's nuts how successful this new team has been!!

Thank you for smoking Sucksville in game one Can!!!

DenverBlood
04-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Disappointed to see Vegas blow game 2.

CanDB
04-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Thank you for smoking Sucksville in game one Can!!!

Disappointed to see Vegas blow game 2.

Thx DB....but we got a little lucky by having the better goaltender that day. As for Vegas, to think they actually won the game and then got over ruled. Mind you, the interference on Jones was enough to help score the goal quite easily.

CanDB
05-06-2018, 05:53 PM
We used to have more hockey fans here......hmmmm.

Tampa beat Boston in just 5 games. So talented!! I think The Bruins are a little old in some places. But this Mcavoy can play, as can a few othes (Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak).

My Jets can wrap it up over Nashville tomorrow in The Peg. I am not counting The Preds out just yet.

I am hoping Pittsburgh can close in tomorrow, and if all goes their way, the unbelievable Vegas team can head to the finals after tonight!!!

DenverBlood
05-06-2018, 07:32 PM
We used to have more hockey fans here......hmmmm.

Tampa beat Boston in just 5 games. So talented!! I think The Bruins are a little old in some places. But this Mcavoy can play, as can a few othes (Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak).

My Jets can wrap it up over Nashville tomorrow in The Peg. I am not counting The Preds out just yet.

I am hoping Pittsburgh can close in tomorrow, and if all goes their way, the unbelievable Vegas team can head to the finals after tonight!!!

Iím hoping for a Vegas Jets final and a Pens and Lightning final.

CanDB
05-07-2018, 11:26 AM
I’m hoping for a Vegas Jets final and a Pens and Lightning final.

Same here!

:thumb:

DenverBlood
05-08-2018, 05:55 AM
Well crap. Last night was a massive letdown all around.

DenverBlood
05-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Predators eliminated!!! Yes yes yes. Thank you Can!!!

Butler By'Note
05-10-2018, 11:05 PM
Go Jets Go! CanDB, all of Canada is backing them now! It's funny when they were discussing who could possibly be Canada's team in playoffs (if all or several teams were in it) they immediately took out the 3 west and 3 east teams, because they hate each other. But Winnipeg is right in the middle of the country and they don't play any of the other 6 teams enough to create real rivalries. So Winnipeg is perfectly placed to be Canada's team for a run like this.

Having said that I do remember the rivalries, I remember being 7 and just having moved to Winnipeg from Calgary and my parents taking us to see the Flames in town, Winnipeg won 8-1 and the old Winnipeg Arena was so loud that it hurt my ears. I hated the old Jets after that. The Smythe Division was the best.

DenverBlood
05-11-2018, 07:08 AM
I guess Can must be snoozing in this morning from being up late celebrating. I was sure he would be in here by now ecstatic and taking in the moment.

CanDB
05-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Predators eliminated!!! Yes yes yes. Thank you Can!!!

Go Jets Go! CanDB, all of Canada is backing them now! It's funny when they were discussing who could possibly be Canada's team in playoffs (if all or several teams were in it) they immediately took out the 3 west and 3 east teams, because they hate each other. But Winnipeg is right in the middle of the country and they don't play any of the other 6 teams enough to create real rivalries. So Winnipeg is perfectly placed to be Canada's team for a run like this.

Having said that I do remember the rivalries, I remember being 7 and just having moved to Winnipeg from Calgary and my parents taking us to see the Flames in town, Winnipeg won 8-1 and the old Winnipeg Arena was so loud that it hurt my ears. I hated the old Jets after that. The Smythe Division was the best.

I guess Can must be snoozing in this morning from being up late celebrating. I was sure he would be in here by now ecstatic and taking in the moment.

Hey guys! Wow...this version of The Jets is in uncharted waters. Tell me, what would Vegas pay you if you had bet on Vegas against The Jets in the conference final....before the season started. I would imagine no one other than someone closing their eyes when picking the teams. FTR, what Vegas is doing, as a brand new team, will never happen again...I guarantee. It is the perfect storm of great player selection, coaching and overall organizational strength. No way will any future team, probably in almost any sport, come close. Too hard to get it all together this quickly. Good on them!

I am surprised that Rinne, possibly the best goal of the regular season, has been so weak at home in the playoffs. Those 2 early goals sunk the ship.

And yes BBN....the ole Calgary/Winnipeg rivalry was quite good, although The Oilers were always a pain in both of our butts!!!

Should be fun now. I do see us with the advantage, and then I hope it's Tampa. But never give up on this Knights team!

DenverBlood
05-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Hey guys! Wow...this version of The Jets is in uncharted waters. Tell me, what would Vegas pay you if you had bet on Vegas against The Jets in the conference final....before the season started. I would imagine no one other than someone closing their eyes when picking the teams. FTR, what Vegas is doing, as a brand new team, will never happen again...I guarantee. It is the perfect storm of great player selection, coaching and overall organizational strength. No way will any future team, probably in almost any sport, come close. Too hard to get it all together this quickly. Good on them!

I am surprised that Rinne, possibly the best goal of the regular season, has been so weak at home in the playoffs. Those 2 early goals sunk the ship.

And yes BBN....the ole Calgary/Winnipeg rivalry was quite good, although The Oilers were always a pain in both of our butts!!!

Should be fun now. I do see us with the advantage, and then I hope it's Tampa. But never give up on this Knights team!

I'm pulling for your Jets from here on Can. Though I'm having fun with this Vegas story. I've been defending the expansion draft process but I didn't realize that teams were allowed to protect a lot fewer players than past expansion teams. Which played a huge part into the smart draft process for the Knights.

But I read a comment the other day that even after the expansion draft and regular draft that the Knights were still projected to finish near the bottom of the league. A lot of their successful players were not considered such big hits a year ago. It's unfortunate that one of your teams has to go before the finals.

As for Rinne I'm ecstatic about his failures. We made him look pretty average in the first round I think averaging 3 goals a game for the first 4 games. And the Jets made him look like an amateur all series. But with how hard Nashville fans are on opponent goalies on their home ice this collapse couldn't have happened to a better fan bases goalie.

CanDB
05-11-2018, 08:39 AM
I'm pulling for your Jets from here on Can. Though I'm having fun with this Vegas story. I've been defending the expansion draft process but I didn't realize that teams were allowed to protect a lot fewer players than past expansion teams. Which played a huge part into the smart draft process for the Knights.

But I read a comment the other day that even after the expansion draft and regular draft that the Knights were still projected to finish near the bottom of the league. A lot of their successful players were not considered such big hits a year ago. It's unfortunate that one of your teams has to go before the finals.

As for Rinne I'm ecstatic about his failures. We made him look pretty average in the first round I think averaging 3 goals a game for the first 4 games. And the Jets made him look like an amateur all series. But with how hard Nashville fans are on opponent goalies on their home ice this collapse couldn't have happened to a better fan bases goalie.

This will be fun DB....both of us pulling for the same hockey team!

As for Vegas.....some of the things they did came down to astute and I would describe it as brilliant management! I mean, they got a guy to score 43 goals who only had 18 in his previous 3 seasons....Karlsson. And landing Marchessault and Reilly Smith from Florida, only losing a 4th round draft pick (which in hockey, is not a sure bet of any sort). These are just a few of the players who have excelled in Vegas. They have plenty more good stories, including Fleury in net. But it all comes down to having great leaders and a great plan!

DenverBlood
05-11-2018, 09:12 AM
This will be fun DB....both of us pulling for the same hockey team!

As for Vegas.....some of the things they did came down to astute and I would describe it as brilliant management! I mean, they got a guy to score 43 goals who only had 18 in his previous 3 seasons....Karlsson. And landing Marchessault and Reilly Smith from Florida, only losing a 4th round draft pick (which in hockey, is not a sure bet of any sort). These are just a few of the players who have excelled in Vegas. They have plenty more good stories, including Fleury in net. But it all comes down to having great leaders and a great plan!

Personally I love the expansion idea. What better way to market your product to a new fan base than with a competitive team right off the bat. Those fans will be sold for years. Just like I was with the Avalanche in the 90's.

A lot of fans whining about how their fan base shouldn't be rewarded so quickly when so many other fan bases suffer without this success for decades. I'm sorry but quit your whining. Maybe if your organization wasn't run so poorly in the front office then you wouldn't be suffering decades without a successful hockey franchise. Are we really supposed to make it hard on a new fan base because another one has a poorly run franchise? I think that's idiocy logic.

You want to expand the league and expand the popularity then bring a winning franchise to a new market not one that stinks for a decade. You'll lose that fan base quick and then you expanded for no reason. I'm not limiting this to NHL expansion.
The NFL has been marketing to London for years and now Mexico. Last year was the first time they marketed a winning Jags franchise to the London fan base. And for years I thought it was stupid to send one of the worst run franchises in the league to market over there. Most of the London games tended to be teams that even us Americans were not interested to watch.

Long story short you want to market your product, send your elite product.

HUMCALC
05-11-2018, 10:39 AM
Personally, I'm pulling for Vegas. Vegas is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE CITY! If I could, I'd live there

CanDB
05-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Personally I love the expansion idea. What better way to market your product to a new fan base than with a competitive team right off the bat. Those fans will be sold for years. Just like I was with the Avalanche in the 90's.

A lot of fans whining about how their fan base shouldn't be rewarded so quickly when so many other fan bases suffer without this success for decades. I'm sorry but quit your whining. Maybe if your organization wasn't run so poorly in the front office then you wouldn't be suffering decades without a successful hockey franchise. Are we really supposed to make it hard on a new fan base because another one has a poorly run franchise? I think that's idiocy logic.

You want to expand the league and expand the popularity then bring a winning franchise to a new market not one that stinks for a decade. You'll lose that fan base quick and then you expanded for no reason. I'm not limiting this to NHL expansion.
The NFL has been marketing to London for years and now Mexico. Last year was the first time they marketed a winning Jags franchise to the London fan base. And for years I thought it was stupid to send one of the worst run franchises in the league to market over there. Most of the London games tended to be teams that even us Americans were not interested to watch.

Long story short you want to market your product, send your elite product.

Yes DB. But to add to my previous point, although the rules for new teams has improved in terms of who they could select from each team, Vegas hit it out of the park! So they earned this, because even the better rules for entry does not guarantee you too many good players. In theory, you should get a quality goalie, because each team could only protect one, but otherwise your chances of acquiring a top 6 forweard or a top 4 defenseman were marginal. It went like this...

Teams could either choose to protect:

- Seven forwards, three defencemen and one goaltender

OR

- Eight skaters (forwards or defencemen) and one goaltender.

Players who currently have no-movement clauses as a part of their contracts at the time of the Expansion Draft (and refuse to waive it) have to be protected by their respective franchise and will count towards the team’s protected list. To add to that, all first and second-year professional skaters (including unsigned draft picks) will not be available for Vegas to select from and won’t be counted as part of the protected player’s list.

So basically, pending the option used, most teams would keep most of their top line players, because the options include all 1st and 2nd year players plus unsigned draft picks.

That's a lot of talent retained, and all you are giving Vegas is one player. With all the potential combinations of selections, one player might not be more than an average player.

So.....in spite of anyone complaining about rewards and such, they are not thinking about the effort by that organization to make the most of the opportunity, while spending many, many days analyzing "what ifs". This is not nearly like The NFL or NBA or most other drafts. It is immensely more difficult. It's not about picking players that you may or may not add to your lineup....this is about picking your ENTIRE TEAM, and has to follow a tight formula that includes positional needs, type of players you want (size, speed, age, character, specific strengths, and more), what deals you can make to trade draft picks etc. to secure even better players, and on and on.

I keep saying it....the rules for Vegas were better than before, but not nearly good enough to guarantee anything more than a lower level NHL team.

Sorry for the rant.....it is truly a great story. AS IS.....The Jets. We lost our NHL team for various reasons, endured, built a new arena, waited our time until the league was ready, and landed the Atlanta team. We've only made the playoffs twice in the 7 years we have had them back. But this time looks really, really good......and so does the future.

westside Bronco
05-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Wearing my Retro Phoenix Coyotes Jersey right now.

Winnipeg Jets are 2-0 when I wear this thing.

Keep it going through the Playoffs ?

Or does someone actually want Vegas to go to the Stanley Cup Final ?

HUMCALC
05-14-2018, 05:44 PM

I want Vegas in

CanDB
05-14-2018, 06:32 PM

That's pretty cool that we are connected this way. Losing our team to Phoenix was very painful, but here we are.

DenverBlood
05-18-2018, 05:28 AM
Finals aren't going at all the way I expected. And I'm really surprised the Capitals blew all of the early series momentum.

CanDB
05-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Finals aren't going at all the way I expected. And I'm really surprised the Capitals blew all of the early series momentum.

Crazy how home ice is not an advantage these playoffs, especially in the Caps/Lightning series!! However, I do expect Tampa to make amends at home next game. But who knows????

Vegas are playing incredible hockey, and make the most of their opportunities, and Fleury is having another legit go at a cup. They are like a counter puncher, waiting to pounce on any openings. And their stick work and short/tight passing is elite at this point.

The Jets have more overall talent and depth, but have been stymied by Fleury and the giveaways. This series is far from over, however tonight's game is critical, because I do not like our chances if Vegas goes up 3 to 1.

DenverBlood
05-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Crazy how home ice is not an advantage these playoffs, especially in the Caps/Lightning series!! However, I do expect Tampa to make amends at home next game. But who knows????

Vegas are playing incredible hockey, and make the most of their opportunities, and Fleury is having another legit go at a cup. They are like a counter puncher, waiting to pounce on any openings. And their stick work and short/tight passing is elite at this point.

The Jets have more overall talent and depth, but have been stymied by Fleury and the giveaways. This series is far from over, however tonight's game is critical, because I do not like our chances if Vegas goes up 3 to 1.

The funny thing about Fluery is he was so Jekyll and Hyde in Pittsburgh. My best friend is a die hard Pens fan and he was actually relieved to see him go in the expansion draft. He drove the fans nuts. I mean they appreciated the cups he won for them but he would have so many games throughout a series where he would just be a complete no show. Heck he still does it for Vegas too. Yet he could very well be on his way to another Cup.

Oh and if I'm not mistaken I think he was benched in favor of the Pittsburgh youngster several times last year. Which is why my buddy was not upset to see him go.

Yet here we are a year later with him contending with another franchise.

HUMCALC
05-18-2018, 02:14 PM
My dad and grandpa used to live in Tampa, and Vegas is "My Kind Of Town"!

DenverBlood
05-19-2018, 12:43 PM
Not looking good Can

CanDB
05-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Not looking good Can

Definitely not. The Jets have not been bad at all, other than some untimely turnovers, and a super hot goalie to beat. Full marks to Vegas so far. A bunch of ordinary Dmen, and only a handful of quality forwards. But they are in sync, and their short pass game, and opportunistic counter attack have been deadly. Lets see if The Jets can extend the season on home ice tomorrow.

DenverBlood
05-20-2018, 02:55 PM
Bummer Can. Sorry man

HUMCALC
05-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Viva Las Vegas! Man I wish that I had put money on them

broncolee
05-20-2018, 04:12 PM
Yay Vegas!!

Does this mean Canada has to give up hockey now?😁

CanDB
05-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Bummer Can. Sorry man

I give Vegas full marks for the win. I am still impressed and even surprised how a new team can play smartly together. Best transition game in the league, and of course, Fleury playing like a young stud again.

I am proud of our Jets. On paper, they look like the better team, but they lost. BUT the future is very bright! They will be tough for years to come. So much young talent!

Now on to the final. If Tampa gets by Washington (I hope!), it will be a flip of a coin for the final. But Fleury has to stay hot.

CanDB
05-21-2018, 09:31 AM
Yay Vegas!!

Does this mean Canada has to give up hockey now?��

Best hockey country on the planet. I am sure that almost every team (if not every team) has more canucks then any other country....and Vegas was built primarily by Canadian management, and is loaded with canuck players.

Owning teams, especially with the support of a pro US Commissioner, matters less to us these days....although it is kind of goofy given the obvious lack of fans in some cities. We know who is running the league and who the players are under the jerseys. Don't get me wrong, the US has done a great job of promoting the game, and developing its players. Why not? Hockey is a GREAT sport! My Jets have many American players, and we luvs 'em!

DenverBlood
05-21-2018, 10:32 AM
I give Vegas full marks for the win. I am still impressed and even surprised how a new team can play smartly together. Best transition game in the league, and of course, Fleury playing like a young stud again.

I am proud of our Jets. On paper, they look like the better team, but they lost. BUT the future is very bright! They will be tough for years to come. So much young talent!

Now on to the final. If Tampa gets by Washington (I hope!), it will be a flip of a coin for the final. But Fleury has to stay hot.

At least thanks to your Jets no one has to listen to the classless Nashville fans celebrate a Cup.

CanDB
05-21-2018, 11:34 AM
At least thanks to your Jets no one has to listen to the classless Nashville fans celebrate a Cup.

I like our fans....they were extremely well behaved in and outside the arena, even with years of waiting, and approx. 40 thousand folks all in the same area, cheering for their team. They gave our boys an appreciative salute as the game ended. And they are typically cooperative with other teams' fans. Not necessarily true of Vegas fans, but some folks said they will not be in a hurry to go back there to watch our Jets. Yikes...wait til the Raiders show up!!;)

http://jocksandstilettojill.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/raiders-fans.jpg

Peanut
05-24-2018, 01:02 PM
I love Vegas' story and all, but have to go with the home team. :D

DenverBlood
06-07-2018, 09:31 AM
What's your pick tonight Can? You seem to have lost interest since the Jets were eliminated. Kind of similar to me when the Avs were eliminated.

I think Vegas sends it back to D.C. for a game 6. Then the question becomes do the Caps choke on their one home chance to finish them off. I saw they are the worst in history when leading a series 3-1. At least in terms of most blown series.

CanDB
06-07-2018, 11:28 AM
What's your pick tonight Can? You seem to have lost interest since the Jets were eliminated. Kind of similar to me when the Avs were eliminated.

I think Vegas sends it back to D.C. for a game 6. Then the question becomes do the Caps choke on their one home chance to finish them off. I saw they are the worst in history when leading a series 3-1. At least in terms of most blown series.

Hey pal...actually I have watched every game in this round. Just not too vocal about it. I am pulling for Vegas, even though they knocked off The Jets. But they seem to be running out of steam and luck. If only they had scored on those early chances last game, they had a legit shot to win. Further to, I think the refs could have done a little better than to allow Oshie to break Miller's nose, and not get a penalty, while his mates scored a goal....and James Neal ended up with a bruised lip with no call either. Having said that, The Caps made it a one sided score in the end.

As for tonight....I'd love to see Vegas extend the series, on their stage (and it is a stage, with all the Vegas smoke and mirrors!! Could live without that part myself).

I've carried on liking this team, because as I've stated several times, for a first year team and not too many "name" players, they play the game the right way. Of course it didn't hurt that Fleury played lights out for a good part of the season....but even he was out for a bit. Much credit to their management - McPhee will win GM of The Year, including Gallant....Coach of the Year no doubt! Good for him, after Florida fired him without any class on their part.

atwaterandstir
06-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Great game so far.......starting to get a bit more chippy.

Should be a great finish

Bronco51
06-07-2018, 08:07 PM
Congrats to Ovechkin and the Capitals

Butler By'Note
06-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Love that Ovi finally won a cup! He's been vilified by the Canadian media for a long long time, probably because of the comparisons to Crosby, and our need to protect our own when it comes to hockey. He's always been painted as selfish, and caring more about himself and his stats, and while I've never really thought that of him, I think it's fair to say he shed that label this postseason.

Also glad Trotz got to win it. He bet on himself (or the Caps bet against him) and he won. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up? I've heard that he might go to Seattle and essentially take 2 years off while they build that team, but I'm sure the Islanders will be calling his agent soon, and I would think several NHL teams might consider firing their coach if they thought knew they could get him.

Funny that in the year all expectations for the Caps melted away, that's the year they finally were able to overcome everything and win the cup. Kind of reminds me of Denver in 2015.

Peanut
06-08-2018, 12:34 AM
Congrats to the Caps!

DenverBlood
06-08-2018, 06:39 AM
Congrats to the Capitals mainly for Ovechkin. Those ungodly stats finally got a ring to back it all up and give it meaning.

CanDB
06-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Caps finally shed that "can't win" label. Good on them. Good on Ovi and Backstrom, 2 of the best players in the world, who perfectly complement one another. Good on Trotz (from Winnipeg). Good on Holtby and all the players.

And good on Vegas Knights, for their incredible story!

Lets see.....

https://st2.depositphotos.com/1588037/12277/v/950/depositphotos_122770854-stock-illustration-cartoon-man-look-at-his.jpg

Almost time for The Draft!!!