PDA

View Full Version : 2018 NBA Finals Thread

HUMCALC
05-31-2018, 06:28 PM
I'm surprised that no one has started this thread before :)

Spice 1
05-31-2018, 07:16 PM

Probably because nobody seems to give Cleveland a snowball's chance.

lol at Draymond intentionally poking LeBron in the eye. Nothing that dude does surprises me anymore.

JakeNbake
05-31-2018, 07:46 PM
Probably because nobody seems to give Cleveland a snowball's chance.

lol at Draymond intentionally poking LeBron in the eye. Nothing that dude does surprises me anymore.

At least he's not blatantly kicking a guy in the dude parts again...

Bronco51
05-31-2018, 08:28 PM
What was JR Smith thinking?!?!?!

Spice 1
05-31-2018, 08:30 PM
What was JR Smith thinking?!?!?!

I'm kinda glad he didn't go right back up with it though, because they had a time out.

Bronco51
05-31-2018, 08:33 PM
Poorly officiated, poorly played game.

Spice 1
05-31-2018, 08:36 PM
Poorly officiated, poorly played game.

My official nickname for Kevin Durant now is Planet Fitness. I mean...wow, man. I've seen a lot of stuff in my day, but wow.

Bronco51
05-31-2018, 08:45 PM
The NBA did not need this ending. Iím not a Cavs fan by any stretch, but man, some of those calls...wow.

JakeNbake
05-31-2018, 08:50 PM
What call is everyone talking about that they are saying the refs gave the Warriors the game? The one where Lebron is moving and it's called a block? or something else?

Spice 1
05-31-2018, 08:52 PM
What call is everyone talking about that they are saying the refs gave the Warriors the game? The one where Lebron is moving and it's called a block? or something else?

All the clean strips on Durant that were called fouls, probably. Did I say the refs gave the Warriors the game?

JakeNbake
05-31-2018, 08:53 PM
All the clean strips on Durant that weren't called, probably. Did I say the refs gave the Warriors the game?

No but tons of people are saying it on twitter and stuff..I just don't see it. Was trying to figure out if I was missing something.

Spice 1
05-31-2018, 08:56 PM
No but tons of people are saying it on twitter and stuff..I just don't see it. Was trying to figure out if I was missing something.

Oh, my bad, man. I thought you were talking about the thread.

No, my thing with Durant, is he did all this trash talk about LeBron wanting foul calls earlier in the season, and Durant is getting all these calls now.

Bronco51
05-31-2018, 09:01 PM
Whatís sad is that LeBron is going to be classy in the post game when we all know he has every right to blast JR Smith for the next few days.

Spice 1
05-31-2018, 09:05 PM
What’s sad is that LeBron is going to be classy in the post game when we all know he has every right to blast JR Smith for the next few days.

He does, but hey, it is what it is. Hill missed a free throw, and JR didn't call time out. Stuff happens, and it's a team game.

@Jake: I figured out what the controversy is about. The refs are not supposed to be able to overturn a call that's outside of the restricted area from what I understand.

JJBroncoFan
05-31-2018, 09:13 PM
There were some tough calls at the end I will give that to the Cavs. The blocking foul on Lebron was the right call though, it wasn't even close either. He tried to sneak in at the last second, wasnt square, and he was still moving even if his feet weren't. There were a couple clean strips that probably shouldn't have been called, but stars get that call almost 100%. Lebron got one that looked pretty clean. Major blunder by JR, they looked really deflated after that, no energy in OT.

Spice 1
05-31-2018, 09:21 PM
There were some tough calls at the end I will give that to the Cavs. The blocking foul on Lebron was the right call though, it wasn't even close either. He tried to sneak in at the last second, wasnt square, and he was still moving even if his feet weren't. There were a couple clean strips that probably shouldn't have been called, but stars get that call almost 100%. Lebron got one that looked pretty clean. Major blunder by JR, they looked really deflated after that, no energy in OT.

I would go along with all of that if LeBron hadn't gotten fouled on the arm by Looney immediately after Durant got one. So no, can't do it.

JJBroncoFan
05-31-2018, 09:58 PM
I would go along with all of that if LeBron hadn't gotten fouled on the arm by Looney immediately after Durant got one. So no, can't do it.

Like I said, some tough calls, and the almost part. The Looney one should have been called for sure though still.

broncolee
06-01-2018, 04:59 AM
LeBron is officiated similar to the way Shaq was. Heís not going to get every little thing called his way.

The Cavs had more fight than expected. They may have just lost their best chance to put a scare into the Warriors.

DenverBlood
06-01-2018, 05:54 AM

Not really a need for it. The NBA Thread seems sufficient enough. But we do usually have a finals thread anyway.

Anyways I think the Cavs have a good chance to steal game 2. Sure they probably should've stole game 1 but they played very tough and almost ended that series sweep talk right away. I don't have the numbers but seems like Lebron always plays game 2 of the finals better than game 1. If that's even possible this time.

OurHouse
06-01-2018, 10:15 AM

The play where Lebron took the charge should not have been up for review. There are only two ways it can be put up for review and one of them is if there is a question whether or not the defender was close to the line. Lebron was 3 feet away from the line. The call on the floor was a charge. Cleveland ball with 30 seconds left and a lead probably would have sealed the deal. This was the first time in the history of the NBA that this has happened.

The other call or non-call was that Lebron signaled for a timeout when JR had the ball. It should have been Cavs ball with a bit over a second left. The refs did not give it to him but somehow the charge play is reviewable and asking for a timeout at and end of the game is not. GS got the same call in the last series and they had 0.5 seconds left, and the refs gave them that.

This same crew worked the game 6 and 7 of Houston series and there are questions about the officiating in those games too. Most importantly game 7 where Harden gets fouled 2 times shooting a 3 and doesn't get a call and the and one he had on the made 3 which was for some reason ruled a foul on the floor. Only way that foul is a foul is if Harden was in a shooting motion which he was meaning the shot should have counted and it would have been a 4 point play.

I was so disgusted by the game last night that I do not think I can watch any more of the NBA finals. The refs affecting the outcomes of games is so blatant now that it ruins sports.

CanDB
06-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Late for the party....I was lurking in the regular NBA thread....all by myself!!

I may be a broken record, but I will never cheer for Durant again, unless he pulls a Lebron and moves back (and he won't). Super stars don't do it for me when they sell out. The fact that game one was even close, and could have been decided in the last few seconds The Cavs way, is a testament to the caliber of Lebron. All star team nearly loses to "star" and "all" others.

Bronco51
06-03-2018, 07:38 PM
If Curry can hit shots like he did all night the next two games, the sweep is imminent.

HUMCALC
06-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Why don't they double/pressure Curry more and get the ball out of his hands? Especially with Klay banged up and Durant a known choker. LeBron needs to drive on every possession, and when they collapse, kick it out to Korver

DenverBlood
06-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Why don't they double/pressure Curry more and get the ball out of his hands? Especially with Klay banged up and Durant a known choker. LeBron needs to drive on every possession, and when they collapse, kick it out to Korver

Because that "Banged up" Klay still put up 20 and that "known choker" Durant still put up 26. You really want to assume that doubling him and taking chances leaving the other two wide open is a smart decision? My guess is most teams aren't willing to take that risk.

Cavs will adjust at home but mainly that tends to be Lebron's teammates shooting better at home than they do on the road. I don't expect Curry to drop 9 three's on the road either.

Pressuring him worked in 2016. But that was also before Durant was an extra weapon.

ELWAY421
06-06-2018, 08:28 PM
I said it before the series started.... Sweep

broncolee
06-07-2018, 03:43 AM
Almost have to feel bad for the Cavs because of game one. Apparently James called a time out but the refs didnít give it to him.

Have to wonder what the series would have looked like if Cleveland had won the first game.

DenverBlood
06-07-2018, 04:27 AM
Almost have to feel bad for the Cavs because of game one. Apparently James called a time out but the refs didnít give it to him.

Have to wonder what the series would have looked like if Cleveland had won the first game.

It would be 2-1 Warriors

Spice 1
06-07-2018, 08:40 AM

Because that "Banged up" Klay still put up 20 and that "known choker" Durant still put up 26. You really want to assume that doubling him and taking chances leaving the other two wide open is a smart decision? My guess is most teams aren't willing to take that risk.

Cavs will adjust at home but mainly that tends to be Lebron's teammates shooting better at home than they do on the road. I don't expect Curry to drop 9 three's on the road either.

Pressuring him worked in 2016. But that was also before Durant was an extra weapon.

I was gunna respond to you guys on this, but it kinda just happened anyway. lol. So, if you watched Tim Legler break down Game 2, he was talking about the Cavs doing more switching. They did more in Game 3, and Kerr just started diving guys straight to the rim. I don't know if Lue had them in a matchup zone or if the initial defenders just didn't have awareness, but it was more successful as the game went on. The bigs couldn't or didn't give any help. They cleared out a lot, and that's the problem with GS. They have so many knock down shooters that any off the ball movement towards the rim is like waiting to die, because you have to stay so locked on the perimeter when they set picks.

Curry and Thompson go 7 for 27 and they still win. You sell out there, and you take it on the back end. Normally, that might work when you have LeBron James, but all bets were off once Giraffe Candy got involved. I really don't think these clowns could beat LBJ without him, if I'm being perfectly honest. They got him in '15, but that's a hell of an ask, loosing your starting point guard and power forward during the playoffs.

CanDB
06-07-2018, 11:18 AM
Series is all but over. GS will win, and I just don't give a dang about them. I only wish they would have stuck to the team that won them that first crown, prior to adding Durant. For example, last night the Cavs would have won. But GS still had a great team in spite of it. I do not like stacking teams. It ruins it for most other teams and their fans. It reminds me of being a kid and we used to pick sides. In this case Lebron got to pick, but in this scenario, GS got to pick their 5 starters first, before The Cavs got one other pick. It is clear who wins in that set up.

Regardless.....wasn't that an incredible move by Lebron to score off his own backboard pass!!!

broncolee
06-07-2018, 04:05 PM
It would be 2-1 Warriors

Says who?

Whoís to say it wouldnít have been 2-1 Cavs?

Maybe losing game one would have affected the Warriors in a way that would have led to them losing game three.

Maybe winning game one would have inspired confidence in the Cavs in a way that allows them to hold on to the lead in game three even if the Warriors wouldnít have been negatively affected by losing game one.

Maybe the refs would have been affected in a way that has the Cavs shooting more free throws in the first half.

DenverBlood
06-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Says who?

Who’s to say it wouldn’t have been 2-1 Cavs?

Maybe losing game one would have affected the Warriors in a way that would have led to them losing game three.

Maybe winning game one would have inspired confidence in the Cavs in a way that allows them to hold on to the lead in game three even if the Warriors wouldn’t have been negatively affected by losing game one.

Maybe the refs would have been affected in a way that has the Cavs shooting more free throws in the first half.

Maybe none of that would’ve made a difference.

Just like the Cavs stole game 2 in 2015 and still lost the Finals. You don’t even know with 100% certainly that those calls would’ve allowed the Cavs win game 1. It just increases the chances.

Calling timeout doesn’t translate to a Cavs game winning shot at the buzzer. It only increases their chances.

I don’t play what it’s in sports. But If the Cavs win game 1 the difference right now is a 2-1 Warriors series not 3-0. That’s as far as I’ll go.

But if the Cavs quit the series over game 1 then they don’t deserve to be in the series anyway.

broncolee
06-07-2018, 06:16 PM
I donít play what itís in sports. But If the Cavs win game 1 the difference right now is a 2-1 Warriors series not 3-0. Thatís as far as Iíll go.

Then there was no need to reply to my post.