PDA

View Full Version : Too Many "General Discussions"?

broncos_mgr
01-13-2005, 10:21 PM
We just moved a bunch of threads IN here when we closed the Broncos Players sub-forum, but what I'd really like to do is move a bunch of threads OUT. Just under 19,000 total threads, and more than 13,000 of them are in here.

So I have a question for the regular users of this forum -- what new sub-forum could we create to move some activity away from "General Discussions"? I want to make it easier for people to find threads they want to participate in, and having 70% of the total threads in one place doesn't seem like the optimal organization.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jared
01-13-2005, 10:27 PM
We could delete threads that have had no new posts in say, 180 days? 365 days?

That would mess with people's post counts, but would it affect their contribution status?

JWinn
01-13-2005, 10:35 PM
I am kind of suprised you closed the Broncos Players forum. I always thought it might be better to have seperate defensive and offensive Broncos players forums. Maybe a special teams forum also.

Another suggestion would be an Off The Field forum, for topics more management related.
Also maybe a Game Day forum which I guess would be more for locals, but a place to discuss tailgaiting, meeting at games, etc. Also a Coaches forum comes to mind where everyone who wants to talk about Shanahan and the other coaches can go.

Personally, I kind of like Jared's idea of deleting old threads no longer in use. I myself dont really care about my post count, although I have seen others who do.

orangenblue420
01-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Is there any way you can do a search and find out how many of a certain topic there are, then delete beginning at the oldest and/or least participated in

I also see a problem being that most people seem to hang out in the general forum, so naturally, if you want response to your thread, you put it in the general so the most possible number of people will see it, regardless of the topic - not that I have ever done such a thing :heh:

I looked quickly through general and I cant see a theme repeated enough to be its own subforum

i vote for deletion of threads or would that effect the new system?

brom66an6
01-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Maybe a forum to consider would be one that has to deal with what people think of coaching decisions. Since a hot topic right now is how a lot of people think that Shanny is stupid for keeping Plummer. Also maybe the RB controversy (we know all those threads will start again) could fit into that forum for coaching decisions. It's just an idea that I think would keep the board from cluttering.

orangenblue420
01-13-2005, 10:47 PM
I Hate Shanny, Jake, or Both - there's a forum for ya ;)

JWinn
01-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Maybe a forum to consider would be one that has to deal with what people think of coaching decisions. Since a hot topic right now is how a lot of people think that Shanny is stupid for keeping Plummer. Also maybe the RB controversy (we know all those threads will start again) could fit into that forum for coaching decisions. It's just an idea that I think would keep the board from cluttering.

This was also my intention for the Coaches forum (my edit above).

As I look thru thr G.D forum, I notice a few threads relating to signatures, the web site, things of this nature, maybe a Message Boards Forum to discuss things directly related to the boards and posting on them. SOmething a bit more than the newbies area for regulars to talk about stuff that isnt "team" related as much as it is "board" related.

420's idea also sounds good! Maybe a "Things I hate about the Broncos" and "Things I love about the Broncos" forums.

Fishing now, lol..............

brom66an6
01-13-2005, 10:58 PM
DING!!! A Draft forum for the offseason!!!!!!! :duh:

There is already a draft forum.

JWinn
01-13-2005, 10:59 PM
lol, I just deleted that post as I just noticed that. my dummy!!! :duh:

Javalon
01-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Hmm. I'd hate to have too many old threads deleted. It's fun to go back and see what people were saying in the past and how it relates to the present. But you've got to do what you've got to do.

JWinn
01-13-2005, 11:04 PM
How about a temporary Awards forum. I notice a few people talking about the various awards. There is even one in the smack section that doesnt really belong there.

rcsodak
01-13-2005, 11:55 PM
We just moved a bunch of threads IN here when we closed the Broncos Players sub-forum, but what I'd really like to do is move a bunch of threads OUT. Just under 19,000 total threads, and more than 13,000 of them are in here.

So I have a question for the regular users of this forum -- what new sub-forum could we create to move some activity away from "General Discussions"? I want to make it easier for people to find threads they want to participate in, and having 70% of the total threads in one place doesn't seem like the optimal organization.

LETTERS TO THE ORGANIZATION.......
consisting of bi_ching and/or praising the coach/player(s)/game results, draft pix, etc.....
Sometimes, if people think they're actually being heard, then they'll feel better after venting and move along...... ;)

bleedbluorange
01-14-2005, 01:23 AM
I agree with the starting a new forum. The training camp forum was a big success. But it was driven by daily information. So whatever new forum that is started, you should consider information available. Therefore an off season moves, or GM forum or whatever you want to call it would be nice. Talking draft and potential trades or any moves is what will carry us over until training camp.

Or everyone continue to start threads in GD. That's more convenient any way :cheers:

JWinn
01-14-2005, 01:27 AM
“There is 17 other threads on the subject but I like to start a new one, forum”

In other words… the problem with the “general discussion forum” is that a lot of quality threads getting buried under repetitive threads.

OK Jared, I'll cave on this one. :laugh:

The mods have the power to mix threads. Blending all of the Plummer threads (for example) into one insanely gigantic one might be a good idea. Or at least some of them. Maybe 5 or 6 total threads. (Actually, maybe "Plummer" should be it's own forum, lol.) This would cut the number of threads at least.

Edit..... Since I mostly stay in "Smack", I'll stop now.............

Jared
01-14-2005, 01:30 AM
It seems to me that everyone browses by forum, instead of the MUCH more convenient "new posts" function. Using that option not only will show you every post since your last log in, thus allowing you to pick and choose which threads or posts you want to view, but it also means that that you don't spnd all of your time in any one forum. (which could help counteract this belief that you HAVE to post in GD to have anyone see it).

Alastor
01-14-2005, 02:06 AM

That would mess with people's post counts, but would it affect their contribution status?

No, it won't.

What it can do is if someone has made a post and someone else has given them an award for it (not likely if it's that old), and the post or thread is subsequently deleted, is it will remove the RECORD of that comment and award from the CP, if it's even still near the top enough to see.

Remember that the CP only displays the 10 most recent awards.

But the points given will remain in place. So no, it has no impact on contributor status in any way.

The Dark Knight
01-14-2005, 02:09 AM
I don't want any threads deleted. I have gone back and printed out old threads before. The thing I think was the biggest problem was thread duplication. It still drives me crazy sometimes. Some people don't even try to hide it and even call the thread the same exact thing letter for letter. If your gonna talk about the same thing, at least fool us a litttle bit by having a worded differently. I myself make an effort to come up with different threads instead of adding the 74th thread about our defensive line.

That's another thing, the NFL is so volatile and changes so much that information that was pertinent in week 1 sometimes doesn't apply in week 4. So using a search function to add on to past threads might be pointless in some cases. We may be dealing with a whole new set of circumstances that necessitate starting a new thread with the same topic. Sometimes a thread has to be in the right context and old information ruins the context.

I think General Discussions as it sits is fine, I just think there's some posters that need to venture out from there more.

OrangeShadow
01-14-2005, 05:56 AM
move all old threads to a seperate forum?

Uula Bear
01-14-2005, 08:17 AM
have a bichers thread for the idiots who think they can run this team better than the people in charge.

NJBRONCOSFAN
01-14-2005, 08:20 AM

If nobody has posted since right before the contribution status went into effect, i don't see it effecting that too much.

I think this is a good idea...just delete threads that are very old...no sense in keeping around a thread like say "Your thoughts on the Recent Bailey for Portis' Trade, or something along those lines...

broncos_mgr
01-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Good ideas and comments, folks. I don't think we will delete old threads just for being old anytime soon. I know there are people who like to refer back to them, throw people's misguided comments back in their faces (The Ravens/Chiefs/Raiders/etc. have a better shot at the playoffs this year than the Broncos, for example), and so on.

Keep 'em coming...

Krugan
01-14-2005, 08:50 AM
If you dont want to delete the old threads, create an archive area for past threads.

My next thought on this would be to set up a specific number of responses to a thread to make it archive worthy. Yea I know thats kinda picking but there is no sense to have all the 3 response threads hanging around. That should be a pretty good sign the topic wasnt of much interest.

Maybe re-order the positions of the forums on the opening page, moving general discussion down on the list. This may cause people to look at the others first....okay maybe not but its an idea.

orangenblue420
01-14-2005, 09:09 AM
How about we force everyone that comes and joins to use their BRAIN - oh wait my bad - I forget I am dealing with a majority of men here ;)

But DK is right about repeats - maybe we can take points away for people who repeat the same thread within 15 days or something :laugh:

Uula Bear
01-14-2005, 09:10 AM
How about we force everyone that comes and joins to use their BRAIN - oh wait my bad - I forget I am dealing with a majority of men here ;)

But DK is right about repeats - maybe we can take points away for people who repeat the same thread within 15 days or something :laugh:

15 days is kinda long, how bout a week?

broncos_mgr
01-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Maybe re-order the positions of the forums on the opening page, moving general discussion down on the list. This may cause people to look at the others first....okay maybe not but its an idea.

Oddly enough, that's my favorite suggestion so far. Simple but elegant.

Alastor
01-14-2005, 09:20 AM
We could add a forum called "The archive" and move all the defunct threads there and put it out of the way. Then it's there if folks want it, and not in the way of those that don't.

Just brainstorming.

Alastor
01-14-2005, 09:36 AM
There's not an easy way to enforce that. Can't say I haven't had the same thought though.

urinal_cake
01-14-2005, 09:53 AM

I like that idea, Jared™

urinal_cake
01-14-2005, 09:54 AM
move all old threads to a seperate forum?

Or close the old threads & put those in an archive section, given there's enough room for it.™

Alastor
01-14-2005, 09:57 AM
That's probably the easiest and most efficient.

JRWIZ
01-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Good ideas and comments, folks. I don't think we will delete old threads just for being old anytime soon. I know there are people who like to refer back to them, throw people's misguided comments back in their faces (The Ravens/Chiefs/Raiders/etc. have a better shot at the playoffs this year than the Broncos, for example), and so on.

Keep 'em coming...

Perhaps moving all the old stuff (not surfed for more than say 30 days) out of general forum. That way they could be archived for research.
Personally I don't think I have ever intentionaly been in the smack area.

I would love to see all the player stuff in the gerenral forum and someone in charge of blending all the JAKE or Mikey threads into one. Personally think people should be inhibited from being able to start threads. Perhaps an edit function that automatically moves the new thread into the correct venue. If the subject line has Jake in it, they starter is notifiied that their is already a thread on this subject and it is being placed there. Same would go for MIkey or Q or draft Etc.

Way to many threads are started by kids that have not looked around. Remeber folks there are at anyone given time only 53 guys on the squad and only so many coaches ST, HC, OC, DC and general coaching. GM and owners.

All new players coming out should fall under draft. Same goes for trades it could still be in general but the thread would be trades.

I can't see why there should be more than 100 current types of threads with any substance in them at any one given time. All the smack goes there and and current players, coaches, rules, owners and current other stuff stays in general.

Food for thought would make my life easier not wondering what is being said in other areas. I think I've started 4 or 5 thread in almost a year and a couple of them were or had others going at the time. Some of these folks have started ten times as many. Hope I've made myself somewhat clear in this.

JoRo
01-14-2005, 01:56 PM

I think we need one for gen discussions bout broncos. and then one bout the whole nfl.........like the other things one doesnt get much use........mostly cuz noone ever looks in there all that often it seems.............but if ull notice theres alot of posts bout other teams an stuff in here

SixxGunz
01-14-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet....but how about an OFF SEASON Forum....where we can talk about Upcoming Drafts, Free Agents, Trades, etc.

And maybe a FANTASY FOOTBALL Forum for those who participate in that stuff??

The Dark Knight
01-14-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet....but how about an OFF SEASON Forum....where we can talk about Upcoming Drafts, Free Agents, Trades, etc.

And maybe a FANTASY FOOTBALL Forum for those who participate in that stuff??

Are you completely blind?

EDIT: I think we found an example of people who know nothing other then General Discussions.

SixxGunz
01-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Are you completely blind?

EDIT: I think we found an example of people who know nothing other then General Discussions.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, I AM!! What of it??

SixxGunz
01-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Just kidding Dark Knight....I was going to EDIT my comment, cuz I read through The Thread real quick, and saw that there already is a Forum like that! Unfortunately, I ONLY come to THIS Discussion Board, and have NEVER looked ELSE WHERE! That is WHY I didn't know about it. PLUS I am at work.....and just finishing my break...so I just threw in my 2 cents and browsed. Only to find out that I need to read, then comment, LOL! :beer:

BIGD2oo4
01-14-2005, 04:39 PM
general discussion is such a braod topic!perhaps general discussion could become an "sub" options menu ,where from that point you can choose a variety of "general" topic discussions.(such as:Bronco-player,non-player,coaches,cheerleaders :D !There can also be an archive section ,maybe a game time section to then address off-season posts! ...... :confused:

The Dark Knight
01-14-2005, 04:42 PM
general discussion is such a braod topic!perhaps general discussion could become an "sub" options menu ,where from that point you can choose a variety of "general" topic discussions.(such as:Bronco-player,non-player,coaches,cheerleaders :D !There can also be an archive section ,maybe a game time section to then address off-season posts! ...... :confused:

Surely you can come up wth more forums than that.

JWinn
01-14-2005, 04:46 PM

I wonder how much attention a "Cheerleader" forum would get. Hmmmmm.......

BIGD2oo4
01-14-2005, 04:54 PM
hey maybe we can have a "hot Topic" of the week or day or something..hour,maybe :D

rcsodak
01-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Speaking of which...

...as we speak, broncos40 has 2 threads, right next to each other, on the same subject.....the rb's.....
...and dfrohardt, making two threads about plummer....and MENTIONING the other in one of them...... :confused:

What will it take to make these people understand????????? :ugh:

orangenblue420
01-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Speaking of which...

...as we speak, broncos40 has 2 threads, right next to each other, on the same subject.....the rb's.....
...and dfrohardt, making two threads about plummer....and MENTIONING the other in one of them...... :confused:

What will it take to make these people understand????????? :ugh:

A swift kick to the...........

JRWIZ
01-14-2005, 11:26 PM
A swift kick to the...........

You

forgot

sack!

Thesameold333
01-15-2005, 01:37 AM
since most of our topics revolve around the team and players............The best way to manage the board(In my very humble opinion) would be with the following threads, which could be sub threads of of general discussions.

1.Jake Plummer/QBs thread
2.Running backs
3.WRs/Tight ends
4.Offensive/deffensive Line
5.Linebackers/Secondary
6.Shanny/Caoching/Managment
7.NFL/News and rumors

Well always have 30 posts on one topic, but by categorizing the thread, all Plummer bashing/loving will be in the same spot.
All Coyer/Shanny Loving/hating will all be in the same spot etc.

Maybe not a perfect blueprint, but I really think a good reliable method. If you do this and delete the general discussion thread outright, It will force people to post in the correct category, in order to know that there post will be read and recieve response.

Thank you for hearing my suggestion.

daBIGDog
01-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I know it has been posted before but my 2 cents on this would be to have two sub-threads (if possible) under the gen discusion: 1 for Broncos and 1 for other NFL issues/teams. Also a historical section for posts older than say a few months. Lastly as long as it didn't involve closing down the board for a few days, turning the 1 thousand threads on the same subject/player into 1 would greatly reduse the thread count.

Just my 2 cents!!

Elway
01-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Of course all these trheads will only work if people post in the appropriate topics.

Last year we moved more threads than P. Diddy. :D

JRWIZ
01-15-2005, 10:47 PM
since most of our topics revolve around the team and players............The best way to manage the board(In my very humble opinion) would be with the following threads, which could be sub threads of of general discussions.

1.Jake Plummer/QBs thread
2.Running backs
3.WRs/Tight ends
4.Offensive/deffensive Line
5.Linebackers/Secondary
6.Shanny/Caoching/Managment
7.NFL/News and rumors

Well always have 30 posts on one topic, but by categorizing the thread, all Plummer bashing/loving will be in the same spot.
All Coyer/Shanny Loving/hating will all be in the same spot etc.

Maybe not a perfect blueprint, but I really think a good reliable method. If you do this and delete the general discussion thread outright, It will force people to post in the correct category, in order to know that there post will be read and recieve response.

Thank you for hearing my suggestion.

Sounds good to me but would have to have thread for most of the current players, Champ, Q, tater, herndon, Lynch, Jake etc. And even a few for past favories like greasy ETC.

Since there are favorites and guys that are easy to be controversal, they would need there own threads.

It amazes me to see that 2-5 different threads open up every day about Jake and about Q last spring.

Would probabaly like to see a prohibition on starting polls and more threads. Or at least having to send polls to a mods to be listed.

orangenblue420
01-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Of course all these trheads will only work if people post in the appropriate topics.

Last year we moved more threads than P. Diddy. :D

:laugh:

That is really the problem - you can have all the threads you want - people will still post in general cause thats where most people stay

orangenblue420
01-15-2005, 11:47 PM
GD - Just do a damn Plummer forum already - Maybe Plummer/Shanny - and I aint bein sarcastic - There has to be at least 100 threads between the two

JWinn
01-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Have to say I agree with OB420 here mgr. It's way past time.

daBIGDog
01-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Maybe we could call it "FIRE HIM NOW" or "The crying towel"!!!

BlueDamsel
01-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Well you could move threads to an "archives forum"...That way people could still find things.

There may be a hack for moving "old threads" automatically after a certain amount of inactivity, I'll look into it, if you want...but later.

Perry1977
01-17-2005, 02:04 PM
:laugh:

That is really the problem - you can have all the threads you want - people will still post in general cause thats where most people stay

Exactomundo. For instance, I just posted a thread about a former Raider fighting police in a burglary attempt, where he was shot several times in the torso. Now, this technically has nothing to do with the Broncos, but any Bronco fan worth his or her salt loves things like this about our arch nemesis Raiders and their prison block players. But who in the hell goes to the "other teams" forum on a Broncos board? Hello? I didn't even know that forum existed until my post was promptly moved there. I have never been to that section, and never will. Why? Because nobody goes there. Do I want to talk to myself? No, I want to communicate with Broncos fans. In fact, let me see exactly how many people are in the various forums right now....

38 in general discussions
6 in talkin' smack
1 in newbie land
2 in virtual trading cards (whatever the hell those are)
6 in 2005 draft and free agency
4 in other NFL teams
Nobody in College football
1 in Fantasy Football
3 in video games
1 in rumor mill
4 in anything but football

So there's 4 in Other Teams? Yeah, because when they click the link of my story in General Discussions it sends them there. 12 hits already, so it is likely thats where they all came from.

The point is, if you want to get the word out, then you put it in General Discussions, otherwise nobody will see it.

Elway
01-17-2005, 03:21 PM
So you are the S.O.B. responsible for all the threads in the wrong area...

now how do I delete all your points. :P

Jared
01-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Exactomundo. For instance, I just posted a thread about a former Raider fighting police in a burglary attempt, where he was shot several times in the torso. Now, this technically has nothing to do with the Broncos, but any Bronco fan worth his or her salt loves things like this about our arch nemesis Raiders and their prison block players. But who in the hell goes to the "other teams" forum on a Broncos board? Hello? I didn't even know that forum existed until my post was promptly moved there. I have never been to that section, and never will. Why? Because nobody goes there. Do I want to talk to myself? No, I want to communicate with Broncos fans. In fact, let me see exactly how many people are in the various forums right now....

6 in talkin' smack
1 in newbie land
4 in other NFL teams
1 in Fantasy Football
3 in video games
1 in rumor mill

So there's 4 in Other Teams? Yeah, because when they click the link of my story in General Discussions it sends them there. 12 hits already, so it is likely thats where they all came from.

The point is, if you want to get the word out, then you put it in General Discussions, otherwise nobody will see it.

I like you perry, but honestly, we ain't baby sitters. If people can't figure out HOW to search the entire board without being in a specific forum (i.e. the 'new posts' button), then too bad for them. And people do go there, otherwise there would be no threads or posts. And even if you disagree, we will still move threads to the appropriate forum, and continue to hope that people (and I don't mean you per se) read and try to not repeat topics or threads. That's our job.

orangenblue420
01-18-2005, 08:34 AM

6 in talkin' smack
1 in newbie land
4 in other NFL teams
1 in Fantasy Football
3 in video games
1 in rumor mill

Nothing personal perry but if the regs and the vets sot to speak dont post in the correct forum, how will the newbies ever learn - its kind of up to the people who have been here for awhile to do things the right way in order to teach the others - not that all of us vets always do things we are supposed :heh:, but it helps if we at least try

The Dark Knight
01-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Everyone should follow my example.

Except for me, I am above even myself.

:goofy: ;)

Perry1977
01-18-2005, 11:17 AM
I like you perry, but honestly, we ain't baby sitters. If people can't figure out HOW to search the entire board without being in a specific forum (i.e. the 'new posts' button), then too bad for them. And people do go there, otherwise there would be no threads or posts. And even if you disagree, we will still move threads to the appropriate forum, and continue to hope that people (and I don't mean you per se) read and try to not repeat topics or threads. That's our job.

Funny, how it wasn't even moved to the proper forum. A tustle and a shooting is "anything but football", yet it was put in some obscure forum nobody reads called "other teams".

Also, how was someone going to 'search' for a topic such as this? It's so obscure that no one actually goes searching for "ex raider shot in burlary attempt".

See, the thing is, you ARE babysitters, because you are babysitting. Who cares if there's a post like that in General Discussions? IMO, it is relevant to the Broncos because the Raiders are our sworn enemy. Now, I could see if it was like another Raven or something, or some player that played for the Saints...but it's not. Making fun of the Raiders has everything to do with the Orange and Blue. =p

Let's look at the front page threads in General Discussions right now:

This one (http://216.58.161.130/forums/showthread.php?t=26373) has nothing to do directly with the Broncos...

This one (http://216.58.161.130/forums/showthread.php?t=26455) doesn't either...

Nor does this one (http://216.58.161.130/forums/showthread.php?t=26564) ...

Now, am I saying they should be moved? Of course not, because they are interesting topics. But technically they are in the 'wrong' forum. But who would read them if they weren't here? Nobody.

The Dark Knight
01-18-2005, 05:11 PM

This one (http://216.58.161.130/forums/showthread.php?t=26373) has nothing to do directly with the Broncos...

Actually, General topics that encompass the entire NFL and the Broncos belong in General Discussions. To put this topic anywhere else would be inappropriate.

Jared
01-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Funny, how it wasn't even moved to the proper forum. A tustle and a shooting is "anything but football", yet it was put in some obscure forum nobody reads called "other teams".

Also, how was someone going to 'search' for a topic such as this? It's so obscure that no one actually goes searching for "ex raider shot in burlary attempt".

See, the thing is, you ARE babysitters, because you are babysitting. Who cares if there's a post like that in General Discussions? IMO, it is relevant to the Broncos because the Raiders are our sworn enemy. Now, I could see if it was like another Raven or something, or some player that played for the Saints...but it's not. Making fun of the Raiders has everything to do with the Orange and Blue. =p

This one (http://216.58.161.130/forums/showthread.php?t=26455) doesn't either...

Now, am I saying they should be moved? Of course not, because they are interesting topics. But technically they are in the 'wrong' forum. But who would read them if they weren't here? Nobody.

I think you have missed my point entirely. I don't think anyone searches for topics like the way you described. However, they can search for messagesd posted within a certain time frame or since their last login. If more people did that, then they wouldn;t feel that stuff has to always be in Gen Dis.

And last time I checked, Gen Dis was general discussion about the Broncos, therefore, Barret Robbins' (sad what happened, he is mentally ill) was a former Raider. Now if that had been about how the Raiders were wooing a Bronco free agent, then sure, I suppose it could possibly be in GD, but its a relatively minor story about a guy who is not even in the NFL anymore, so it has no baring on the Dennver Broncos, the AFC West, or the NFL. So It should be somewhere other than Gen Dis. Its all subjective.

Of course, we recently dismantled "Around the NFL" and all subjects were placed in Gen dis, because it is NOW about the Broncos and general NFL news. So I think you will like that change.

2 Minute Warning
01-18-2005, 06:18 PM

Someone with your attitude is never happy no matter where it's moved.
It's not like we lost your luggage during a flight :cheers:

Perry1977
01-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Someone with your attitude is never happy no matter where it's moved.
It's not like we lost your luggage during a flight :cheers:

My attitude? My attitude is based on very succinct points that no one thus far has been able to counter.

It's a judgement call, you're the zebra, and here are your glasses.

If you'll notice, I dont post everything in general discussions. Of course you havent noticed tho, because you haven't looked.

I'll say it again. Pointing out the flaws in the Raiders organization has everything to do with being a Bronco fan. Deal.

Jared
01-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I'll say it again. Pointing out the flaws in the Raiders organization has everything to do with being a Bronco fan. Deal.

In your opinion. I don't think its worth my time to care about the Raiders.

And Like I said, he's a former player, so its not really a Raiders story. Why is this bothering you so much? Its just a moved thread. One of many that happen every day here. :confused:

Alastor
01-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Perry, let me ask a question here...

What's your point? What would you like to see done?

You've made the point that there are a lot of threads made in the wrong cats, and a lot of duplicate threads. I think that's a fair statement to make. So... what's your point? What are you after here?

I do sort of see a question here, but I'd rather not fill in the blanks myself. So... help me out. What are you after here? What's your goal?

JakesTheMan
01-20-2005, 08:24 PM
I haven't been a member of this forum very long but I agree with one of the first posts on this topic.
Categories such as Offense, Defense, Special Teams and Coaching & Management would be helpful in keeping topics in specific areas but general enough that it wouldn't create a scattered convoluted mess for the moderators to maintain. Yet it'd be easy enough to use. I wouldn't add individual players or positions as too many categories is worse than too few. IMO.
Just my two cents.

JWinn
01-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Ya know, broncos mgr., I dont think there is anything you can do about the number of posts in the Gen. Disc. area.

Just tonight, there has been a new thread started regarding the rumored Moss/Buchanon trade and one about the rumored pending Vikings sale in Gen. Disc. On top of a trade thread already existing in Other NFL Teams, meaning it's just redundant, they both belong in that forum, if not the Rumor forum.

Now, I am not here just to say move them. You mods can spend all day at that.

But I just dont see where making new forums is going to solve the problem, if you wanna call it that. Not when existing forums exist and people wont use them. I think Perry1977 is correct in some parts of his assesment. While I and many others use several forums, it's clear many do not.

Short of having an army of mods to alert every poster of where his or her thread should be, I dont see much you can do. It's clear a lot of people never read threads like this one.

Maybe if somehow you and Alastor can come up with a way that every time someone comes on, before they enter the boards, they first get a reminder to post in the correct forum and maybe a brief COC, with a warning that all threads mis-posted will be either moved or deleted. Making them select that they will follow those guidelines might make some observe them a little more. Personally, I think such a thing would chase people away. I can see you want this to remain a friendy place to come to and how that would definatly NOT be a friendly way to start.

It's just an idea...........

The Dark Knight
01-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Ya know, broncos mgr., I dont think there is anything you can do about the number of posts in the Gen. Disc. area.

Just tonight, there has been a new thread started regarding the rumored Moss/Buchanon trade and one about the rumored pending Vikings sale in Gen. Disc. On top of a trade thread already existing in Other NFL Teams, meaning it's just redundant, they both belong in that forum, if not the Rumor forum.

Now, I am not here just to say move them. You mods can spend all day at that.

But I just dont see where making new forums is going to solve the problem, if you wanna call it that. Not when existing forums exist and people wont use them. I think Perry1977 is correct in some parts of his assesment. While I and many others use several forums, it's clear many do not.

Short of having an army of mods to alert every poster of where his or her thread should be, I dont see much you can do. It's clear a lot of people never read threads like this one.

Maybe if somehow you and Alastor can come up with a way that every time someone comes on, before they enter the boards, they first get a reminder to post in the correct forum and maybe a brief COC, with a warning that all threads mis-posted will be either moved or deleted. Making them select that they will follow those guidelines might make some observe them a little more. Personally, I think such a thing would chase people away. I can see you want this to remain a friendy place to come to and how that would definatly NOT be a friendly way to start.

It's just an idea...........

It drives me up the wall. When you post in the wrong forum on other boards, it is the Mods job to tell you that you posted in the wrong forum and move the thread. They should also post in the thread saying that it was previously moved and where it was moved from. Other posters seeing that DOES help. Some will make an effort to post in the right forum after seeing that a few times. Telling them is also equally important. Especially to repeat offenders. Even the ones that have had their threads moved still don't get it and complain about it happening! People would venture the other forums if they knew they had to post those topics there but as long as they're able to post whatever in General Discussions they will continue to do so unless told otherwise. If you instill this attitude in more and more posters, you'd be surprised how cleaned up the boards would get.

JWinn
01-20-2005, 10:14 PM
It drives me up the wall. When you post in the wrong forum on other boards, it is the Mods job to tell you that you posted in the wrong forum and move the thread. They should also post in the thread saying that it was previously moved and where it was moved from. Other posters seeing that DOES help. Some will make an effort to post in the right forum after seeing that a few times. Telling them is also equally important. Especially to repeat offenders. Even the ones that have had their threads moved still don't get it and complain about it happening! People would venture the other forums if they knew they had to post those topics there but as long as they're able to post whatever in General Discussions they will continue to do so unless told otherwise. If you instill this attitude in more and more posters, you'd be surprised how cleaned up the boards would get.

I agree with you TDK, but it seems to me we dont have enough mods for the job. They dont want to be babysitters, even if sometimes thats eactly whats needed. Would you want to spend all day telling people where they should be posting? I wouldnt.

Again, it would take a mod full time to do that job, and I believe they are mostly unpaid volunteeers. As I see them, they are just fellow members who have just shown an abitlity to deal well with others, who want to also be able to just "chat", as it were. I dont think any of them want to be policemen or policewomen in here.

Hence my idea of an entry page. I think it's a bad idea, but I just dont see how mods, or a few of us other non-mod posters can instill that attitude in anyone.

I have to think about this more............................. :beer:

The Dark Knight
01-20-2005, 10:23 PM
I agree with you TDK, but it seems to me we dont have enough mods for the job. They dont want to be babysitters, even if sometimes thats eactly whats needed. Would you want to spend all day telling people where they should be posting? I wouldnt.

Again, it would take a mod full time to do that job, and I believe they are mostly unpaid volunteeers. As I see them, they are just fellow members who have just shown an abitlity to deal well with others, who want to also be able to just "chat", as it were. I dont think any of them want to be policemen or policewomen in here.

Hence my idea of an entry page. I think it's a bad idea, but I just dont see how mods, or a few of us other non-mod posters can instill that attitude in anyone.

I have to think about this more............................. :beer:

It would be tough at first because this board has alot of posters with really bad posting habits but after it gets going for awhile, the board mods itself. I myself have been trying to tell people "wrong forum" whenever I see something that is not appropriate. I'm sure it has made me unpopular with a couple of posters but I don't care. They should know better. It's hard to be diplomatic sometimes. Like I said, the board can mod itself after awhile. There just needs to be people willing to tell others "Hey, you can't do that" or "wrong forum". People are afraid that it would make this place unfriendly but that's not true. People will fall in line after few weeks and more good posters will join if the see how well oraganized and moderated this board is.

JWinn
01-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Honestly TDK, I only partly agree with your assessment here.

I think we have several posters who just ignore those type of comments and no amount of telling them otherwise will make them "get it". Some people just do what they wanna do, especially on the internet, and no amount of prodding or shoving is going to make them change.

You say that the boards will just clean themselves up, but since I started posting in October, I havent seen that happen. It seems to me that broncos mgr doesnt think that will happen either or he would not have created this thread to begin with.

I just dont think that there IS a good solution to this problem here, that's all.

JRWIZ
01-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Certain rules are set down, whenyou join. If the morons can't abide by them, they should not have the privilge to post on the board.

Look but no post. Kind of simple when you look at it.

Somone voilates the COC, they get their posting privilge suspended.

Like driving a car is not a right it is a privilge.

Breathing is a right, at least PC police says so.

JWinn
01-20-2005, 10:35 PM
I'd like to add that regarding your attempts to "correct" people here, I dont think that it makes you unpopular here.

You mention that you dont care either way, but your mising that THEY never cared to begin with. Just my opinion TDK.

JWinn
01-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Certain rules are set down, whenyou join. If the morons can't abide by them, they should not have the privilge to post on the board.

Look but no post. Kind of simple when you look at it.

Somone voilates the COC, they get their posting privilge suspended.

Like driving a car is not a right it is a privilge.

Breathing is a right, at least PC police says so.

Ya know? When someone is right, they are just right!!!!!!

That being said, I dont think that's the kind of image this board is trying to project.
This should be and IS a fun place to come to. With actions like that, there wont be many people left in here.

While I like the sentiment, I dont think that's whats neede here. Again, just my opinion.

The Dark Knight
01-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Honestly TDK, I only partly agree with your assessment here.

I think we have several posters who just ignore those type of comments and no amount of telling them otherwise will make them "get it". Some people just do what they wanna do, especially on the internet, and no amount of prodding or shoving is going to make them change.

You say that the boards will just clean themselves up, but since I started posting in October, I havent seen that happen. It seems to me that broncos mgr doesnt think that will happen either or he would not have created this thread to begin with.

I just dont think that there IS a good solution to this problem here, that's all.

It hasn't happend because it hasn't been Mod-ed like I said. The Mods here don't tell people they posted in the wrong forum. They should. The Mods here after moving a thread don't post in the thread saying they moved it. They should. The posters here ignore when other users disregard basic board message board common sense like posting threads in the wrong forum. Let em know!

JWinn
01-20-2005, 10:44 PM
It hasn't happend because it hasn't been Mod-ed like I said. The Mods here don't tell people they posted in the wrong forum. They should. The Mods here after moving a thread don't post in the thread saying they moved it. They should. The posters here ignore when other users disregard basic board message board common sense like posting threads in the wrong forum. Let em know!

OK, I see what you mean. And I think your right here. It is certianly worth a try, but again, you turn the mods into cops. I just dont think that's what any of them signed up for. As I said above.

The Dark Knight
01-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Ya know? When someone is right, they are just right!!!!!!

That being said, I dont think that's the kind of image this board is trying to project.
This should be and IS a fun place to come to. With actions like that, there wont be many people left in here.

While I like the sentiment, I dont think that's whats neede here. Again, just my opinion.

The only people that it will scare away are posters that probably shouldn't be here anyway. A well moderated board is a great place to post at. I'm not dissing the Mods here, but I get the impression that they're being held back somewhat.

The Dark Knight
01-20-2005, 10:49 PM
OK, I see what you mean. And I think your right here. It is certianly worth a try, but again, you turn the mods into cops. I just dont think that's what any of them signed up for. As I said above.

OK, well that's where we differ because the other boards I surf, the Mods ARE the cops.

It's really not that big of deal.

When someone starts a thread in the wrong forum this is all you have to do:

"Seeing how this thread is about______ it seems to be more appropriate in______forum, So I'm moving it there"

That's all!!!! You don't even have to yell at them. Just politly inform them that it doesn't belong there.

JWinn
01-20-2005, 10:59 PM
OK, well that's where we differ because the other boards I surf, the Mods ARE the cops.

It's really not that big of deal.

When someone starts a thread in the wrong forum this is all you have to do:

"Seeing how this thread is about______ it seems to be more appropriate in______forum, So I'm moving it there"

That's all!!!! You don't even have to yell at them. Just politly inform them that it doesn't belong there.

TDK, I think the only place we differ here is that I dont see any of these mods wanting to be cops here. I might be wrong in that assessment though.

They may be "held back" as you say. But it might be for a good reason.

Mods are people too. It can become too easy for any one of them to take it a bit too far and really start kicking people for silly reasons. I dont have alot of experiance at message boards, so I will take you word about other ones. But I have "hosted" a chat room in MSN years ago. Pretty much the same thing. It just became too easy to start kicking people out because I disagreed with them. As soon as I started doing that, I quit. I am only human. So are these mods.

Lastly, I think your idea has merit in here. It's definately worth a try.

The Dark Knight
01-20-2005, 11:03 PM
TDK, I think the only place we differ here is that I dont see any of these mods wanting to be cops here. I might be wrong in that assessment though.

They may be "held back" as you say. But it might be for a good reason.

Mods are people too. It can become too easy for any one of them to take it a bit too far and really start kicking people for silly reasons. I dont have alot of experiance at message boards, so I will take you word about other ones. But I have "hosted" a chat room in MSN years ago. Pretty much the same thing. It just became too easy to start kicking people out because I disagreed with them. As soon as I started doing that, I quit. I am only human. So are these mods.

Lastly, I think your idea has merit in here. It's definately worth a try.

I guess you'd have to trust me. It's not as bad as you think and I beleive it would actually raise the quality of the board. I think cops is a strong word. Mods will do just fine. ;)

JWinn
01-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Well, some of them are bound to read all of this. :laugh:

Lets hear from them.

MODS?

orangenblue420
01-21-2005, 12:33 AM

It took me all of 2.2 seconds to know that there was a thread about this - I saw the article when I signed online that morning and was going to post a thread about it but I checked the first two pages of NEW POSTS and found someone already had - it did not make a difference what forum it was in - so why not put it in the proper one to keep things in order? People just need to use a little common sense and life would be so much easier - not just here but EVERWHERE!!!!!!!!!

2 Minute Warning
01-21-2005, 09:18 AM
It's been my experience, how an individual person uses a message board varies(we are not all robots,,,thankgoodness LOL) it will never be a perfect world. You can't please all the people all the time. And there will always be newcomers, which is a good thing, and I think it's important to show them some patience in the start.

As I have stated before in another thread, people shouldn't take it too *personal if a thread is moved. And mods make mistakes too, sometimes a thread could easily live in 2 forums :confused: (as stated in another thread by 420),so there are times no matter where a topic is, someone won't be happy with the decision. A fact that we as mods have to live with. Other times I might miss :eek: something that should have been done, it's happened before and it will happen again LOL.
Sometimes I say I moved a thread and sometimes I don't, that's what the moved thingies are for. I suppose I could start saying I moved them more often if people think it would help.

Personaly, I find that the majority of users here try to be responsible, and thanks for that :cheers:

Fat Joe
01-21-2005, 09:23 AM
I know on Paintball Nation forums we have a "small talk" thread for everything not related to paintball, so you could maybe go with something along those lines for a new sub forum to keep the more "general" or "off topic" threads out of here.

The Dark Knight
01-21-2005, 09:31 AM
I know on Paintball Nation forums we have a "small talk" thread for everything not related to paintball, so you could maybe go with something along those lines for a new sub forum to keep the more "general" or "off topic" threads out of here.

What do you mean? We have a smack talk forum and many other ones as well.

orangenblue420
01-21-2005, 09:35 AM
As I have stated before in another thread, people shouldn't take it too *personal if a thread is moved. And mods make mistakes too, sometimes a thread could easily live in 2 forums (as stated in another thread by 420),so there are times no matter where a topic is, someone won't be happy with the decision. A fact that we as mods have to live with. Other times I might miss something that should have been done, it's happened before and it will happen again LOL.

Sometimes I say I moved a thread and sometimes I don't, that's what the moved thingies are for. I suppose I could start saying I moved them more often if people think it would help.

What are you trying to say here Jovi, like mods are only human or something - sheesh :rolleyes:

:D

2 Minute Warning
01-21-2005, 09:45 AM
What are you trying to say here Jovi, like mods are only human or something - sheesh :rolleyes:

.............we may not be normal though :laugh: BTW....Just speaking for myself mind you ;)

Fat Joe
01-21-2005, 09:49 AM
What do you mean? We have a smack talk forum and many other ones as well.

Well, a small talk forum wouldnt nessecarily be for smack talk. There two different things. Ok, the paintball forum Im on is mostly occupied by teenage boys from 13-22 years old. So you can imagine theres a wide variety of things that get talked about. Everything from there high school problems to how much snow we're going to get, to football, and alot of other cool stuff, like a 7 page thread dedicated to custom .gif pictures.

We could put a sub forum up for people to go into to just bull**** about whatever, and leave general discussions for general football discussions.

2 Minute Warning
01-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Well, a small talk forum wouldnt nessecarily be for smack talk. There two different things. Ok, the paintball forum Im on is mostly occupied by teenage boys from 13-22 years old. So you can imagine theres a wide variety of things that get talked about. Everything from there high school problems to how much snow we're going to get, to football, and alot of other cool stuff, like a 7 page thread dedicated to custom .gif pictures.

We could put a sub forum up for people to go into to just bull**** about whatever, and leave general discussions for general football discussions.

We have Anything but football? :D ?
http://216.58.161.130/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

The Dark Knight
01-21-2005, 09:58 AM
We have Anything but football? :D ?
http://216.58.161.130/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Exactly, I swear this is the biggest problem with the boards is that even some of the vets don't know where to post!!!
:duh:

Fat Joe
01-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Didnt even know it was down there, lol.

*steps off soap box*

Broncomaniac PG
02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
What about creating an "open forum", with the stipulation that the posts should only pertain to the NFL and not other sports/subjects, etc. This may relieve some of the pressure on "general discussions". This would allow people to air their opinions on such things as the draft, free agency issues, coaching decisions and the like. :fight:

Broncomaniac PG
Palo Alto, Ca.

JWinn
02-26-2007, 10:58 PM
WOW! This is an oldie!!

I just read thru a few of the most recent posts. (Can they even be called recent? lol)

So much has changed. ;)

I'm gonna take Benny's advice though. Usually when I move a thread, I dont say anything. I just move it and forget. Interestingly, not ONCE has anyone complained about it. At least not that I know of.

However, for Benny;

Seeing as this isnt really a BRONCO thread, and more of a FEEDBACK thread, I am sending it there.

I gotta read all this..........

Chidoze
02-26-2007, 11:18 PM
It seems to me that everyone browses by forum, instead of the MUCH more convenient "new posts" function. Using that option not only will show you every post since your last log in, thus allowing you to pick and choose which threads or posts you want to view, but it also means that that you don't spnd all of your time in any one forum. (which could help counteract this belief that you HAVE to post in GD to have anyone see it).

I gotta say, I never used the New Posts feature until now. Jared was right. Who knew his advice would work for someone 2 years later. :salute:

JWinn
02-26-2007, 11:26 PM
I gotta say, I never used the New Posts feature until now. Jared was right. Who knew his advice would work for someone 2 years later. :salute:

Same here! I only started using it about 6 months ago.

I still cruise the boards the way I always did though most of the time. Habit.

Well, alot has changed since this thread was posted. Went I went back and started at the beginning, I thought maybe I should not have moved it. But as I progressed, I realize we didn't even HAVE a Feedback forum back then. Did we? I didnt see it listed in Perry's post.

And the Archive sections. This must be responsible for those. Krugan and Alastor deserve credit there I believe.

We've grown so much in some ways.

AlWilsonizKING
02-26-2007, 11:52 PM
I only use the New Post link. I never browse the fourms......I just click the New Posts.....or if I have to I use the Search Function.

PEACE!!!

Bronco_f1
02-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Ummm, how about keeping it the way it is? It is called "General Discussions" after all, so it should stay general. This is the main forum after all

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
02-27-2007, 12:58 AM
:laugh: bumped threads!

but i never did the New posts thing :(

I usually just check my user CP first and go to my subscribed threads to pick up on heated arguments and what not :rockon:

and then i go to new threads after that to see whats happening

but i like that New posts feature. Ima have to give it a shot :salute: