PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent John Abraham

HoustonBronco
01-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Is there any possibility, financially, that we could afford to sign DE John Abraham from the Jets. I think he would be the missing piece to get this defense over the hump. Lets face it, Shanahan is not very good at getting DE talent in the draft and picking 20th is not going to help. This guy is probably the premier DE free agent this year that could make a huge difference. I know money is an issue, but I'm willing to guess that we could restructure some contracts to get this guy. Is there any talk in Denver about John Abraham as a potential free agent acquisition?

The Dark Knight
01-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Is there any possibility, financially, that we could afford to sign DE John Abraham from the Jets. I think he would be the missing piece to get this defense over the hump. Lets face it, Shanahan is not very good at getting DE talent in the draft and picking 20th is not going to help. This guy is probably the premier DE free agent this year that could make a huge difference. I know money is an issue, but I'm willing to guess that we could restructure some contracts to get this guy. Is there any talk in Denver about John Abraham as a potential free agent acquisition?

Yes, there's been tons of talk but the general concensus is that we can't afford him. Also I think that Herm Edwards said that Abraham was defintaly gonna be a Jet next year.

dfrohardt
01-19-2005, 08:59 AM

We are good with DE's right now. We have other problems that need to be addressed first.

NJBRONCOSFAN
01-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Yes, Terry Bradway, g.m of the NY Jets announced that whether it takes a long-term contract, or a franchise tag, John Abraham WILL be with the Jets this coming year.

vicious2500
01-19-2005, 11:34 AM
We are good with DE's right now. We have other problems that need to be addressed first.

If we were good at DT we should've been hawking down peyton manning more then once in another embrasssing lost.

HoustonBronco
01-19-2005, 11:37 AM
I heard on the NFL network that John Abraham and the Jets organization are not getting along. The rift is that the team cleared him to play two weeks ago but he refused to play. He basically downgraded himself on the injury report. He had said he didn't want to jeopardize his free agency by getting reinjured. The organization was mifted because he took himself out of two playoff games.

HoustonBronco
01-19-2005, 11:40 AM

I don't know what games you've been watching but we stink (for a lack at a better word) at rushing the QB. The only way we put pressure on Manning was by blitzing him - which cost us dearly. No matter how good Champ Bailey is, he can't cover man-on-man if the QB has all day to throw.

NJBRONCOSFAN
01-19-2005, 12:08 PM
I heard on the NFL network that John Abraham and the Jets organization are not getting along. The rift is that the team cleared him to play two weeks ago but he refused to play. He basically downgraded himself on the injury report. He had said he didn't want to jeopardize his free agency by getting reinjured. The organization was mifted because he took himself out of two playoff games.
I posted this in another thread...and it's taken originally from ESPN.
"Ease-off Abraham
Any criticism of Jets defensive end John Abraham not wanting to play because of pending free agency is crazy. Abraham is five weeks into a knee injury that requires six-to-eight weeks to recover from. Though he is practicing, Abraham doesn't have enough lateral movement because the knee just isn't ready. The Jets list him as questionable, but there is more than a good chance he won't play Saturday against the Steelers unless he has a courageous week of work in practice. On Monday, Abraham flew to Birmingham, Ala., to visit Dr. James Andrews (THE PREMIER sports doctor) and was told the knee just isn't completely healed although he hasn't done any additional damage. Abraham had hopes of playing last Saturday against the Chargers, but those thoughts ended because of the rainy conditions and bad field in San Diego."

elwayfan805
01-19-2005, 01:46 PM
i think the jets will give abraham the franchise tag but if not i would love to have him on the team and move pryce to DT.......by the way does anyone know how old abraham is?

NJBRONCOSFAN
01-19-2005, 01:48 PM
twenty-six

twinjetfan
01-24-2005, 01:00 PM
John Abraham will probably return to the Jets next season, whether Bradway resigns him long term, or places the franchise tag. John Abraham has only played 4 seasons, so he is pretty young. He has had injury problems, which he was critized for, but other than that he is a great player, especially with a great supporting cast.

maniac # 000023
01-24-2005, 07:52 PM
No way the Jets will let him go, he is their best defensive player. he made a mistake on skipping the two games. but they will forgive him. they are still young team. and they will be better next season.

nickmeyer
01-24-2005, 08:15 PM
No way the Jets will let him go, he is their best defensive player. he made a mistake on skipping the two games. but they will forgive him. they are still young team. and they will be better next season.

They either let him go or they let their other RB go and I believe it will be the RB what is his name again the one who backs up Martin.?????? :confused:

dbdom
01-25-2005, 02:47 AM
They either let him go or they let their other RB go and I believe it will be the RB what is his name again the one who backs up Martin.?????? :confused:

lamont jordan
i think abrahams will be franchised, anyways lamont jordans wants to be THE feature back, not a backup to curtis martin