PDA

View Full Version : The importance of being reggie

PRBronco
01-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Holy crap, it just hit me, we're so screwed if we can't resign reggie. Do you realize that he's the only D lineman we've drafted since trevor pryce who's had any kind of an impact on our team? He's the closest thing our line has to any kind of a future. The draft this year really sucks for D linemen, and our staff sucks at drafting D linemen as it is, we need to secure the "known commodity" in reggie. Look at the other options:
Free Agency? We'll spend the exact same amount on a guy, of equal (john abraham) or lesser (bryce fisher from the rams) value, and run the risk of clashes with shannahan, not liking denver or getting the money and slacking off.
Draft? Looking just at the DEs, we have James, who i think is overrated, or pollack, who i think rocks, but we really need to invest that pick on a guy that can play in the middle, like (shaun) cody or marcus spears.
Someone from the depth of our roster emerging? hahaha, ok, just kidding, that never happens.
So there you have it, yes, i am aware that none of you are actually in charge of resigning hayward :goofy: but just thought i'd lay some facts out there for discussion, get some thoughts flowing, i'm pretty bored :ugh:

OrangeShadow
01-23-2005, 05:23 AM
I think he will WANT to re sign.

JoRo
01-23-2005, 08:13 AM
I think he will WANT to re sign.

Or you jus plain hope

Like the rest of Bronco Town does

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-23-2005, 09:31 AM
These are the numbers....

5 years, 25 million, 5 million signing bonus. That's what Hayward will get in FA.

Guess what, we can't afford that. He's gone.

JoRo
01-23-2005, 12:13 PM
These are the numbers....

5 years, 25 million, 5 million signing bonus. That's what Hayward will get in FA.

Guess what, we can't afford that. He's gone.

who offered that

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-23-2005, 01:45 PM
who offered that

That was Bertrand Berry's contract signed last offseason. Reggie had a comparable, if not better year. Expect that to be his starting point.

PRBronco
01-23-2005, 04:55 PM
You know, watching the steelers and pats go at it, it just makes me think, f*** it, let's let reggie go and switch to a 3-4. It's kind of crazy, we shouldn't switch to it because it's what's hot right now, or to get terry pierce on the field, we should switch to it because we can't afford not to!

PRBronco
01-23-2005, 05:29 PM
This really coming together in my head now! Ok, instead of spending tons on reggie (assuming we can make an offer that would work) we wouldn't have any money left to spend on a DT, kenoy's gone, maybe won't have enough money to keep herndon and walls, let alone hamilton, or any improvements on the O line.

or

if we switch to a 3-4, let reggie walk, bring in marcus bell in FA (he shouldn't be expensive) and draft a guy like sione pouaha, or anthony bryant, (but not albert means, it sounds like that guy sucks at standing his ground) then we have some nose tackles. We let kenoy walk again, resign what corners we want, or pick up one in FA if they want, and spend the majority of our free agency money on the offensive line. Notice there's no real big names in FA there, they'd be doing themselves a favour by doing that, cuz our cap looks awful for the future.

Ok, mathir, i love your beliefs that the D Line is the most important thing, but i dont' know what your thoughts are on the 3-4, what do you think?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-24-2005, 10:27 AM
This really coming together in my head now! Ok, instead of spending tons on reggie (assuming we can make an offer that would work) we wouldn't have any money left to spend on a DT, kenoy's gone, maybe won't have enough money to keep herndon and walls, let alone hamilton, or any improvements on the O line.

or

if we switch to a 3-4, let reggie walk, bring in marcus bell in FA (he shouldn't be expensive) and draft a guy like sione pouaha, or anthony bryant, (but not albert means, it sounds like that guy sucks at standing his ground) then we have some nose tackles. We let kenoy walk again, resign what corners we want, or pick up one in FA if they want, and spend the majority of our free agency money on the offensive line. Notice there's no real big names in FA there, they'd be doing themselves a favour by doing that, cuz our cap looks awful for the future.

Ok, mathir, i love your beliefs that the D Line is the most important thing, but i dont' know what your thoughts are on the 3-4, what do you think?

I think it makes sense if we have the coaches who can install and teach it. Shanahan is apparently a genius, he should have no problem putting that mental fortitude to work devising a scheme.

Hayward does not fit a 3-4 DE. Typically you need 275+ lb DEs, and a 330+ NT. The LBs we have should fit the scheme fine. Chuckwarah would be a great OLB/DE pass rusher in the mold of Willie McGinest. Pierce and Wilson inside, Williams on the outside, Sykes for depth.

Elliss Johnson could be a good DE in a 3-4 along with Pryce on the other end. Pope could provide depth at DE, Coleman would not fit the scheme. Fetafehi would have to beef up some but could be a NT, Dorsett Davis, if we keep him, could also play NT if he beefs up a tad more. We would have to draft or trade for a wide bottom either way though.

Secondary is fine, need to keep Walls opposite Bailey, switch Herndon to FS, and let Lynch play SS. I'd even go so far as to blitz Lynch and drop Williams on pass plays because DJ probably covers better. Or just replace Lynch with Ferguson on passing downs. Develop LeSeur as a FS, Middlebrooks provides all around depth at all positions. Alexander and Shaote can be the nickel and dime backs.

I think it makes sense because we are wasting Pierce on the bench, have a surplus of LBs with Sykes and Chukuwrah, and hardly any D-linemen. The few decent DEs we had are all FAs this year barring Pryce and he's injured. It seems to me if a team was every going to switch schemes and try something new, this would be the no-brainer time to do it while your personel is about to turnover.

PRBronco
01-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Awesome, i agree totally, except that i think dorsett davis would be better as a DE in a 3-4. I think they tried him as an end last year, so he must have some quickness, but he has the size that would make him a good end for this scheme. We'd definitely have to bring in a slew of nosetackles. What are your thoughts on mike patterson and brandon kennedy, are they too small to be nose tackles?

*edit* Oh yeah, i also think if we need depth on the line for low cost, luther elliss would probably be servicable at any position on a 3 man line, assuming he doesn't retire.