PDA

View Full Version : Question

dman444
01-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Who realistically is the best player we could acquire through trades and/or free agency? Obviously we cant go over the cap by that much so who could we get?

The Dark Knight
01-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Who realistically is the best player we could acquire through trades and/or free agency? Obviously we cant go over the cap by that much so who could we get?

Why didn't you just ask the question in your subject?
:confused:

Dream
01-25-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't know if we'll be acquiring players through trades; that'll be draft picks.

I'm guessing that we don't have a whole lot of money to get any big name players in this FA Period.

dman444
01-25-2005, 03:37 PM
no reason to be a ****

Astros05
01-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I say John Abraham and move Pryce to DT

TXBRONC
01-27-2005, 04:46 PM
I say John Abraham and move Pryce to DT

Abraham will be way out of Denver's price range. I have read that Denver might look for a midlevel free agent or two but that's about it.

Shaolin
01-29-2005, 02:39 PM
He will stay with the JETS

PRBronco
01-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Reggie hayward is the best possible free agent we could sign.

NeedDLinemen
01-29-2005, 05:55 PM
After restructures and releases Denver will pursue a top FA D-Lineman. Abraham and Howard will most likely be off the board with tags so I think we'll make a run for Corey Simon and one of the better FA Guards!!

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-29-2005, 06:12 PM
After restructures and releases Denver will pursue a top FA D-Lineman. Abraham and Howard will most likely be off the board with tags so I think we'll make a run for Corey Simon and one of the better FA Guards!!

Well, first Corey Simon will be franchised if he can't be resigned, the Eagles have said as much. So he's not going to happen.

Darren Howard actually should be available.

Abraham will likely be franchised.

However, our cap situation is very bad and here's why.

1) Over the last several years, we have continuously created back heavy contracts just like the Ravens and 49ers did. We can't do that any more or we will have to purge our entire team in two years. Our cap situation in the immediate future is very tough thanks to all those contracts we have done.

2) So, now that restructuring is out of the picture, you have cuts. Well, if you cut someone, their bonus and prorated salaries all hit you this year. We are 2 million under the cap, we can't handle big cuts.

3) The main problem with our cap situation is that we have literally a ton of FAs that we must sign. On top of that, we have RFA's that other teams may try and steal away from us such as Herndon and Walls. All a team has to do is frontload a contract and we won't be able to match it, this is what Arizona did to get Berry.

Hayward is going to command a 5 year, 25 million contract + signing bonus. That's basically all of our cap space there. But then, we have to find a way to pay Putzier, Hamilton, Carlisle for starters. Then we have to make decisions on re-signing Spragan, Kennedy, Coleman, Ellis Johnson (who we likely traded our 4th round draft pick for), etc...

My friend, if you think we have any money at all to chase after FAs, you are on crack. The only way we can, is if we let all these starters of ours walk. And then, we will have a ton of holes to fill, and we still couldnt sign a big name because of the sheer amount of players we would need to get.

I agree we will make some cap space, but then I believe we will spend it all locking up our own FAs for next season. The only way we are going to get better is to have a good draft. Period.

Astros05
01-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Well, first Corey Simon will be franchised if he can't be resigned, the Eagles have said as much. So he's not going to happen.

1) Over the last several years, we have continuously created back heavy contracts just like the Ravens and 49ers did. We can't do that any more or we will have to purge our entire team in two years. Our cap situation in the immediate future is very tough thanks to all those contracts we have done.

2) So, now that restructuring is out of the picture, you have cuts. Well, if you cut someone, their bonus and prorated salaries all hit you this year. We are 2 million under the cap, we can't handle big cuts.

3) The main problem with our cap situation is that we have literally a ton of FAs that we must sign. On top of that, we have RFA's that other teams may try and steal away from us such as Herndon and Walls. All a team has to do is frontload a contract and we won't be able to match it, this is what Arizona did to get Berry.

Hayward is going to command a 5 year, 25 million contract + signing bonus. That's basically all of our cap space there. But then, we have to find a way to pay Putzier, Hamilton, Carlisle for starters. Then we have to make decisions on re-signing Spragan, Kennedy, Coleman, Ellis Johnson (who we likely traded our 4th round draft pick for), etc...

My friend, if you think we have any money at all to chase after FAs, you are on crack. The only way we can, is if we let all these starters of ours walk. And then, we will have a ton of holes to fill, and we still couldnt sign a big name because of the sheer amount of players we would need to get.

I agree we will make some cap space, but then I believe we will spend it all locking up our own FAs for next season. The only way we are going to get better is to have a good draft. Period.
That's a very good point you have there!! :beer:

JoRo
01-29-2005, 08:32 PM

Good point but very depressing :( hope we dont chief it up next year